DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Owner changing to married name?

The only thread I found was from 2009, so I wanted to make sure nothing has changed since then...

I'm getting married next year and my name is on the DVC contract deeds. How would I go about changing things to my married name? Is it as simple as calling Member Administration? Or do I have to change the deeds?

Thanks for any help you can give!
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #2
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
The only thread I found was from 2009, so I wanted to make sure nothing has changed since then...

I'm getting married next year and my name is on the DVC contract deeds. How would I go about changing things to my married name? Is it as simple as calling Member Administration? Or do I have to change the deeds?

You have to change the deed. The only change is that Orange county (assuming that's where your deed is) has a new form to fill out since then, it's explained on their website.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
You have to change the deed. The only change is that Orange county (assuming that's where your deed is) has a new form to fill out since then, it's explained on their website.
Thanks Dean. I guess if I have to change the deeds, I might as well add soon-to-be hubby to them.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks Dean. I guess if I have to change the deeds, I might as well add soon-to-be hubby to them.
Unless you feel the need to add him, I'm not sure I'd worry about it. You certainly don't have to change the deed. As an associate spouse living at the same address, he'd get the AP discount but not necessarily the other discounts.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #5
CarolAnnC
Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syringes From PI
Likes to shoot off her glock in chat
Goin' to the Chapel

Quote:

Quote:
I have several deeds (multiple ownerships) but none are in my current name. Member Administration has been updated on all of them, but my deeds remain in my prior name. In fact, my original deed also still has my late husband listed on it.

My attorney advised that it is not critical to change the deeds, until such time as I am preparing to sell them, or when I pass away it will be taken care of.

My current husband and I are associates on all of each other's contracts, as he owns his own prior to our marriage, as well.

This being said, if you do plan to rent out your points and have some potential rentees check with the county comptrollers to confirm your ownership, they will not, of course, find you listed under your current name as a DVC owner.
But, that is not critical unless you do plan to rent out.

We may go ahead and have everything re-deeded to show all our ownership as joint, and this is on our to do list. One point, if you want to add your new husband, I believe you must own the DVC outright, unemcumbered with any mortgage or monies owned on them. Otherwise, they cannot add anybody to it until you pay it off.

Hope this helps..
Old 11-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #6
jkpatrick
Mouseketeer

I believe, though, unless there is an emotional reason to change the name on the deed from your maiden name to your soon to be husband's name, there is no legal reason required. As long as you have your local county's name change document. But, I'm not a lawyer, I'm only going on what I've seen and heard from people.

Last edited by jkpatrick; 11-30-2012 at 12:58 PM.
jkpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: