Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #1876
pas130
DIS Veteran
 
pas130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,366

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom
Welcome home. Glad you and your girls were able to visit the GF and lunch there - love the Cafe! I agree with your DD5, it IS the most prettiest place in the whole World.
It was my first time eating there. It was great and we sat my the window. Dds enjoyed looking out at the flowers...ahhhh the lobby was so beautiful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Cruiser
Finally got our Internet back, 3 weeks after Sandy! Catching up on my DIS.

pas sent me some great pictures while she was at the GF. There is something about that Christmas tree that just makes me smile

Did Sandy Cove open? Anyone been in yet? How does it look?

k&a&c'smom , it's good to be back!
I miss the grand SO much already. I'm glad you liked the pics!
__________________
Aug 14 TR: Go with the flow dudeJungleCruiser*Sarah,forever in my heart*
pas130 is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #1877
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran
 
k&a&c'smom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,337

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS85 View Post
Thanks for the info about the hair dryers! Looks like I will be bringing my own, I absolutely need a diffuser! Glad I will be prepared
Glad to help! I don't blame you, we are picky about our hair in this house, too. Back when they only had the wall-mount dryers we usually brought our own. Still do when we drive, along with all the shoes we could possibly use in a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas130 View Post
It was my first time eating there. It was great and we sat my the window. Dds enjoyed looking out at the flowers...ahhhh the lobby was so beautiful


I miss the grand SO much already. I'm glad you liked the pics!
First time eating at the Cafe?! What did you have? We love breakfast there, have it every trip, but lunch is great, too. DD and I ate there...5 times, I think, this past trip. Two breakfast, two lunch and one dinner. A table by the window is lovely and restful, looking out on the beautiful landscaping.
__________________
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
k&a&c'smom is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #1878
jcondrad
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom
Sorry, no TPV rooms in SL, Conch Key is in the way. Not sure if any stray fireworks can be seen from the rooms on the very end, but I know we did not see any from our second floor corner room the last time we were in SL.

Welcome!
Thanks for the reply! I figured no good views since all the rooms are standard
__________________
Jenn

jcondrad is offline  
Old 11-20-2012, 12:54 AM   #1879
polyfor4
Mouseketeer
 
polyfor4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 313

The Polynesian has always been our favorite but due to no military rate GV rooms being available, are thinking about staying at the Grand Floridian for the first time in May. I've visited the Grand several times and of course think that the grounds are gorgeous. Is comparing the Poly to Grand just completely apples to oranges? I feel like I get a certain nostalgia and "feel" like I'm at Disney when I'm at the Poly. I'm worried that staying at the Grand will just feel like I'm at a nice hotel. Please give me some pixie dust or reassurance that we need to give the Grand a shot
__________________

May 2014 BWI/ Poly CL
May 2013 AoA/ Poly CL Nov 2013 Pop
Sept 2012 AoA May 2012 Pop/ Poly Feb 2012 POR
May 2011 Pop/ Poly April 2011 CSR
Dec 2010 POR May 2010 POR
Dec 2009 CBR May 2009 Poly March 2009 POR


polyfor4 is offline  
Old 11-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #1880
pas130
DIS Veteran
 
pas130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,366

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
First time eating at the Cafe?! What did you have? We love breakfast there, have it every trip, but lunch is great, too. DD and I ate there...5 times, I think, this past trip. Two breakfast, two lunch and one dinner. A table by the window is lovely and restful, looking out on the beautiful landscaping.
I had the GF burger. YUM!!! Girls all had the kids meals, which was a bargain they had appy, entree, and dessert!!! They all ate worms in dirt, which was chocolate mousee with gummi worms and topped with chocolate crumbles!!!

Here's a pic of Bree (I love this pic)

__________________
Aug 14 TR: Go with the flow dudeJungleCruiser*Sarah,forever in my heart*
pas130 is offline  
Old 11-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #1881
bdklein
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In a House
Posts: 1,862

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyfor4 View Post
The Polynesian has always been our favorite but due to no military rate GV rooms being available, are thinking about staying at the Grand Floridian for the first time in May. I've visited the Grand several times and of course think that the grounds are gorgeous. Is comparing the Poly to Grand just completely apples to oranges? I feel like I get a certain nostalgia and "feel" like I'm at Disney when I'm at the Poly. I'm worried that staying at the Grand will just feel like I'm at a nice hotel. Please give me some pixie dust or reassurance that we need to give the Grand a shot
I did feel the same way as you. We booked the GF, but we kept saying Poly (we went with another family who "had" to stay at the GF). On our first day, when we rode on the monorail past the Poly, we kept saying Poly. And when we went to the dinner show at the Poly (which stunk), we kept saying Poly.
But when the week was over, we were really happy at the GF. If you don't stay there, you will never know. It definitely did not feel "stuffy" being a guest there. And we did fell like we got away on a vacation and didn't have Disney in our face, just not with the same foliage.

Keep in mind the construction at each resort. I would work around that.

Either way you are at a nice place. Enjoy. It's not like you are staying in a dumpy motel.
bdklein is offline  
Old 11-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #1882
sydneysmom
ready to go back to Disney..... NOW!
 
sydneysmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 3,478

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyfor4 View Post
The Polynesian has always been our favorite but due to no military rate GV rooms being available, are thinking about staying at the Grand Floridian for the first time in May. I've visited the Grand several times and of course think that the grounds are gorgeous. Is comparing the Poly to Grand just completely apples to oranges? I feel like I get a certain nostalgia and "feel" like I'm at Disney when I'm at the Poly. I'm worried that staying at the Grand will just feel like I'm at a nice hotel. Please give me some pixie dust or reassurance that we need to give the Grand a shot
I've never stayed at the Poly, but we stayed at the Grand for the first time in 2010. It spoiled us completely. I honestly cannot say enough great things about the Grand and just how purely magical the CM's make everything during your stay. You won't feel at all like it's "just a nice hotel", you'll be transported to another era where it's just lovely. The CM's are SO friendly and truly go out of their way to make everything so special. The rooms and the views are wonderful. It was my birthday when we went... they upgraded us to a castle view and put in our room a big chocolate Mickey w/ choc covered strawberries, a red rose, a card from the characters and a white chocolate GF postcard. It's hard not to fall in love.... I literally cried our first day when we walked in our room.

I think that comparing the Poly to the Grand are two totally different things. It would be like asking if you vacationed in Hawaii for all these years, would you like London equally as well. It's not going to be the same feeling. While the GF has a more "proper" feeling to it, please don't feel like that translates to "stuffy or snotty", because it doesn't. We took our DD there and she was 4 1/2. Never once did I feel like we were out of place with a child or that it was too stuffy. Quite the opposite. I think that both the Poly and the GF have their great points and if you are willing to try the GF once, just jump in and do it but go in with a fresh mind and not compare it.

When we were figuring out where to stay for our next trip (next June) we went around and around where to stay. Our minds kept sneaking back to the GF. But what if we don't get a discount, what if we don't get a pin.... well, finally we just said, look...we've been saving for 3 years, so lets go back to where we want to go....the Grand. If we get a discount code, great, if we don't, that's fine. But here's the thing... it's alot of money no matter where you stay, so stay where it's going to make your heart feel happy. For us, we don't go every year. We were going to stay at the Poly or CR, but my DH kept saying "are we going to look across the lagoon and wish we were at the Grand?". I knew the answer because the Grand ruined him for anything else.

For us, the Grand is a magical Disney experience and I wouldn't trade it for the world. Whatever you choose, I hope your trip is wonderful !!
__________________
Sydney's Step Mom
me DH DD8 bebe ellie chloe phoebe

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
2016 : First trip to Universal
sydneysmom is offline  
Old 11-21-2012, 08:10 AM   #1883
jojomickey
Mouseketeer
 
jojomickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 125

My family feels the same way too !
We stayed once at another resort but our hearts are at the Grand!!!!


Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!!!!
jojomickey is offline  
Old 11-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #1884
itisamymc
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneysmom

I've never stayed at the Poly, but we stayed at the Grand for the first time in 2010. It spoiled us completely. I honestly cannot say enough great things about the Grand and just how purely magical the CM's make everything during your stay. You won't feel at all like it's "just a nice hotel", you'll be transported to another era where it's just lovely. The CM's are SO friendly and truly go out of their way to make everything so special. The rooms and the views are wonderful. It was my birthday when we went... they upgraded us to a castle view and put in our room a big chocolate Mickey w/ choc covered strawberries, a red rose, a card from the characters and a white chocolate GF postcard. It's hard not to fall in love.... I literally cried our first day when we walked in our room.

I think that comparing the Poly to the Grand are two totally different things. It would be like asking if you vacationed in Hawaii for all these years, would you like London equally as well. It's not going to be the same feeling. While the GF has a more "proper" feeling to it, please don't feel like that translates to "stuffy or snotty", because it doesn't. We took our DD there and she was 4 1/2. Never once did I feel like we were out of place with a child or that it was too stuffy. Quite the opposite. I think that both the Poly and the GF have their great points and if you are willing to try the GF once, just jump in and do it but go in with a fresh mind and not compare it.

When we were figuring out where to stay for our next trip (next June) we went around and around where to stay. Our minds kept sneaking back to the GF. But what if we don't get a discount, what if we don't get a pin.... well, finally we just said, look...we've been saving for 3 years, so lets go back to where we want to go....the Grand. If we get a discount code, great, if we don't, that's fine. But here's the thing... it's alot of money no matter where you stay, so stay where it's going to make your heart feel happy. For us, we don't go every year. We were going to stay at the Poly or CR, but my DH kept saying "are we going to look across the lagoon and wish we were at the Grand?". I knew the answer because the Grand ruined him for anything else.

For us, the Grand is a magical Disney experience and I wouldn't trade it for the world. Whatever you choose, I hope your trip is wonderful !!
Do all rooms get chocolate covered strawberries, a rose, card, etc or was that concierge level?
itisamymc is offline  
Old 11-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #1885
jojomickey
Mouseketeer
 
jojomickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 125

We have been to the grand staying TPV the last few times. This time we are staying lagoon view.Does anyone know what are the better buildings with lagoon view that maybe we could see the castle just a little bit? We have stayed in the conch Key and Sago before with TPV. Thanks
jojomickey is offline  
Old 11-21-2012, 01:10 PM   #1886
CaliforniaDreaming
#1 Grand Floridian Fan/Expert
 
CaliforniaDreaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 9,734

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojomickey View Post
We have been to the grand staying TPV the last few times. This time we are staying lagoon view.Does anyone know what are the better buildings with lagoon view that maybe we could see the castle just a little bit? We have stayed in the conch Key and Sago before with TPV. Thanks
You'll most likely be in Big Pine Key facing the Wedding Pavilion and Polynesian. I did have the view before the villa construction began, but we actually enjoyed it quite a bit. It is a very relaxing, gorgeous view. We were on the second floor and it seemed like we were close to the water, I liked seeing the boats on their way to the Polynesian.

As to if some of them have a partial castle view, I don't know. We haven't been able to confirm where exactly the lagoon vs TPV rooms are, as I and some other posters have had rooms that we believe should be lagoon but we've paid for TPV with them. My best guess is still that lagoon would only be south facing in Big Pine Key, the rest of the lagoon facing rooms would be TPV. Your mileage may vary, of course.
__________________
Cali-D
CaliforniaDreaming is offline  
Old 11-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #1887
cgulls
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 168

Sandy Cove

here are some photos (from wdwmagic) of the newly reopened Sandy Cove. It looks as though they have a pretty cool selection of GF garb.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/shopping/san...urbishment.htm
cgulls is offline  
Old 11-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #1888
CaliforniaDreaming
#1 Grand Floridian Fan/Expert
 
CaliforniaDreaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 9,734

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgulls View Post
here are some photos (from wdwmagic) of the newly reopened Sandy Cove. It looks as though they have a pretty cool selection of GF garb.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/shopping/san...urbishment.htm
Wow, Sandy Cove looks great! I really like that brown t-shirt and the blue track jacket, I'll have to make sure I get them next year.
__________________
Cali-D
CaliforniaDreaming is offline  
Old 11-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #1889
jojomickey
Mouseketeer
 
jojomickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 125

Thank you CaliforniaDreaming for your help I guess we will have to see when we get there I think one year we were in the conch key building facing the little boats you rent when we had lagoon view if I'm not mistaken I just don't remember
jojomickey is offline  
Old 11-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #1890
MommyGina
DIS Veteran
 
MommyGina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 922

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

It is nice to see that Sandy Cove has Grand Floridian specific merchandise. Can't wait until I get there to buy a new T-shirt. To me, this has the look of what Gasparilla looked like, just a bit.
__________________
DH , Me , DS (18) , DD (16)
MommyGina is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: