Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 09:04 PM   #3736
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

I found the Princess course to be super duper flat. I did find the dip under the water bridge by Contemporary to be steep. Legit steep. But totally doable, and I had trained for that hill. I did not find the clovers bad or the overpass back to epcot bad, where others did find those bad. I guess everyone is different!

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
Old 11-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #3737
princessmorgan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
We do a little. I do not take them on training runs, but will take them on smaller runs. We go a lot slower, do 1:1 intervals, and I make sure it's not too hot or too cold when we go.

They have to run every Thursday at school for PE- they have 20 min to run as many laps as they can. The coaches count the laps and are trying to get the kids to a marathon by the end of the year.

My 5 year old did 9 laps (just shy of 2 miles!) last Thursday when I went up and ran with them. My 7 year old did 10 laps and my oldest (9) did 12. When they run with their friends they are just--- running! Being kids! It's fun. So I try to keep that idea when we run too.

We listen to music, we talk, I bribe (hey, if we make it to 2 miles we will get a Popsicle!)

I say take her around the block and see if she likes it. My DD is ONLY running because I told her if she can do a 5K I will take her one year with me to Princess so she can run with me there. She's just like her mommy- will only run for Disney trips. She isn't going this year, but she might be ready for it next year!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess on the Run View Post
Definitely do it! It's great to get kids started with healthy habits early. DS7 just ran his first 5K last weekend and runs with me about every other week. All 3 of mine are running the kids races at the PHM and my plan (because I am always planning 9 steps ahead) is that we will all do the 5K at the Tink Half in 2014. My 5 year old only does a mile or so with me because he gets whiney after that, but if yours is expressing an interest, take advantage and pounce now!
You all are putting me to shame Thanks for the ideas though! I'll give it a shot this week as long as the temps cooperate with me. I don't know about whiny boys, but I do know about whiny girls!

www.theadultsideofdisney.com

Aquí se puede encontrar mis blog posts acerca de Disney en español- www.theadultsideofdisney.com/en-espanol/
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-18-2012, 10:31 PM   #3738
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
My 5 yr old whines from the start- we are doing a 5K turkey trot on Thursday and I am considering leaving him at home with the Grands. It's not that he CAN'T do it, just that it will NOT be pleasant to take him. LOL I'm really thinking the excitement of being at a REAL race and with the other kids will make him suck it up and deal. He runs everywhere- except when I want him to. Dudes!
It's got to be something in the age (or gender? ) because I feel like mine are constantly whining about something. If they wanted to be outside and I want them inside, they whine but if I suggested they go out, they whine. If I don't take them with me, they whine but if I do take them, they whine...can't win!!!!

Old 11-19-2012, 12:12 AM   #3739
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumlee View Post
Hello everyone! I haven't been over here for a few days, and now I feel like I am way behind! I d better get reading! .

Anyway, I have kind of an odd question to ask...Do any of you still need a room and Disney package? My mom and I have a room and package for 4 at POR, but it looks like our 2 friends aren't going to be able to come! SO...I am looking for two ladies who might want to share our room with us Friday-Tuesday, with dining plan and park tickets. Send me a message if you are interested!

I too feel a tad behind since I haven't been on dis much this last week.

I was actually wondering how your running has been going now that we are getting some rain here in WWA. I managed only about 5 miles yesterday..I was sooo wet by the time I was done and it was getting dark I figured I best not push it. A couple days before that it was seriously foggy here (although from what I hear it was actually blue skies all day in Seattle) I went out that afternoon definitely too late and learned that was not the best idea.

As for your question... it is too bad you didn't catch me a couple weeks ago. Now it looks like I have a room. You are going from Friday to Tuesday? That flight about kills me... I have to have a bit of time to recover. Maybe I am just old. Looks like we will be headed down on Wednesday or Thursday.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:50 AM   #3740
IMGONNABE40!
Okay, I already am 40, but if I were to change my name, how would you know it was me?
Proud owner of a six foot giraffe
Don't be a Doofus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumlee View Post
Hello everyone! I haven't been over here for a few days, and now I feel like I am way behind! I d better get reading! .

Anyway, I have kind of an odd question to ask...Do any of you still need a room and Disney package? My mom and I have a room and package for 4 at POR, but it looks like our 2 friends aren't going to be able to come! SO...I am looking for two ladies who might want to share our room with us Friday-Tuesday, with dining plan and park tickets. Send me a message if you are interested!
Since we are more than 45 days out, can't you just modify the number of guests in your room? That way you don't have the extra tix and dining. You may also be able to scale back on the resort if the mod. Is more than the remaining 2 want to pay for.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:52 AM   #3741
Bookwood
DIS Veteran

My training plan (14 weeks) starts today, it's a lousy week to start but I'll deal.

Have a great training week Princesses!

Pam and DH Mike Wondering our way to Hawaii 10/14/2012

Pam and DH Mike (Retiring) through the Canal again 05/2015
Old 11-19-2012, 07:52 AM   #3742
EEsloveDis
Mouseketeer

Has anyone ever submitted a time at bib pick up? I have the chance to do a 10k on Thursday but I'm in the fence. I did my first 6 mile run in 20+ years yesterday and finished at 10:10/mile. I'm sore has heck today. I was hoping to do the 5k and get a PR as my weekly 30 min runs have picked up pace to 8:55/mile. Ugh!!!
1986-1st trip~5/2006-Animal Kingdom~6/2008-Beach Club~10/2009-Contemporary~2/2010-Pop Century~6/2010-Star Wars Weekend French Quarter~12/2010-Marco Island~12/2011-Riverside~8/2012-Hilton Bonnet Creek~9/2012-Caribbean~10/2012-Hilton Downtown Disney~2/2013-Princess Half Marathon Hilton Bonnet Creek
Old 11-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #3743
Rupert B Puppenstein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEsloveDis View Post
Has anyone ever submitted a time at bib pick up? I have the chance to do a 10k on Thursday but I'm in the fence. I did my first 6 mile run in 20+ years yesterday and finished at 10:10/mile. I'm sore has heck today. I was hoping to do the 5k and get a PR as my weekly 30 min runs have picked up pace to 8:55/mile. Ugh!!!
If I improve, I always submit my time at packet pick-up. It is so much easier and you always get a response! Why not go for it? You may be sore today, but it is amazing how we can bounce back so quickly after that, tomorrow may be 100% different. If you don't get a better time, there are always plenty of other races to choose from. Just make sure that they have official times. Good Luck!!
Old 11-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #3744
MoonFaerie
DIS Veteran

If anyone is still waiting to register, you might want to get it done. It's showing as 95% full this morning.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #3745
amykay9377
Prepare to be amazed beyond all expectations. After all it is what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneygirl03 View Post
Is anyone planning on mostly walking the marathon solo?
I'll probably be doing a lot more walking than running. I've been at this since February and my (now EX)-smoker lungs still are not on board. My legs are fine, my mind is fine, but I just can't get the lungs on track - I can run for about 2 minutes or so, then I have to stop. It sucks!! I am getting better, but it's taking so LONG!

Check out my blog!
(I may need to change the name soon...)

Old 11-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #3746
Disneygirl03
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by amykay9377

I'll probably be doing a lot more walking than running. I've been at this since February and my (now EX)-smoker lungs still are not on board. My legs are fine, my mind is fine, but I just can't get the lungs on track - I can run for about 2 minutes or so, then I have to stop. It sucks!! I am getting better, but it's taking so LONG!
My main problem is my back. My chest is just too large for any sports bra to do the job, and if I do find one that does the job then I feel like I can't breathe. With all that in motion from running after a few minutes my back feels like its going to snap! I just stick with fast paced walking and am working on increasing my speed little by little.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #3747
Mamasmurf227
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess on the Run View Post
It's got to be something in the age (or gender? ) because I feel like mine are constantly whining about something. If they wanted to be outside and I want them inside, they whine but if I suggested they go out, they whine. If I don't take them with me, they whine but if I do take them, they whine...can't win!!!!
My 5 year old girl is the same way.... Must be the age.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #3748
Gryhndmom
Coast to Coast 2013....PHM and DL Half

Quote:
Originally Posted by amykay9377 View Post
There is no shame in taking walk breaks during the run...I've never been a smoker but still have the breathing problems from time to time..running coach says it takes time to work on lung capacity..I've been training since May and have seen improvement so keep plugging along! Look at it this way...at least you are getting out there trying vs. sitting on the coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneygirl03 View Post
My main problem is my back. My chest is just too large for any sports bra to do the job, and if I do find one that does the job then I feel like I can't breathe. With all that in motion from running after a few minutes my back feels like its going to snap! I just stick with fast paced walking and am working on increasing my speed little by little.
Keep up the good work. you've got the right idea on fast paced walking and increasing speed !
Old 11-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #3749
Gryhndmom
Coast to Coast 2013....PHM and DL Half

For the previous PHM gals...how was your corral placement based on your time reported to run disney? (I.e., if you reported finishing at 2:50 were you in corral D, E or F?)
Old 11-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #3750
poohbear8
DIS Veteran

If anyone is lurking here and not signed up....run and do it now! The Sweepstakes (run like a princess) on FB has given a $15 coupon off the registration and it's up to 95% filled!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: