Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #61
Belle83
DIS Veteran

Indiana Jones is awesome! The queue is pretty cool too.

So much better than Dinosaur
Belle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:52 PM   #62
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvetia View Post
Really enjoying your trip report - unfortunately the Casey train, Storybook Canal Boats and Indiana Jones were all being refurbished during our recent visit - so thank you for your reports - I have been enjoying them here vicariously!
So glad that you can experience those attractions at least somewhat through the trip report! That stinks about them being closed while you were there. Refurbishments are such a double-edged sword. I want the rides to be in top condition but HATE when they're down when I'm visiting. Both Pirates and California Screamin' were down while we were there last year, and it was so sad walking by the closed attractions every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyismyheart247 View Post
Yay for Indy!
Hooray!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle83 View Post
Indiana Jones is awesome! The queue is pretty cool too.

So much better than Dinosaur
We love Dinosaur too, but were REALLY impressed by Indiana Jones.
1987 - WDW Visit in the Womb * 1990 - First WDW Visit * 1993 - First DLR Visit * March 1996 - Family Reunion at Treehouse Villas * March 1999 - Family Vacation at Treehouse Villas * March 2005 - One Day at MK with Friends * May 2008 - First Visit with then girlfriend (now wife) at POP * June 2010 - Disneymoon at Best Western LBV * Sept 2011 - Return to Disneyland at PP * May 2012 - Grand Prize WDW Radio Trip at POR Royal Room * November 2012 - Move to CA to become DLR locals!

Can We Move Here and Be Pancho’s Handlers? A Sept '11 Throwback Disneyland Trip Report
Duffy is Going to be ECSTATIC! a.k.a. Thank God She Was Jewish - May '12 WDW Trip Report
We Moved to Disneyland!! Now What…? Stories from New DLR Locals
tayalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-12-2012, 04:25 AM   #63
Aussiesalad
Totes Mcgoats

Ahhh I love Indy so much! Such an incredible ride

Um what is that goat wearing and more importantly, why did we not see him when we were there?? We have been to Disneyland a bunch of times during September and yet there have been no dressed up goats! Ripped off
Aussiesalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #64
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Real Life Update
November 12, 2012

Attention Readers: Tracy and I are on our way to CA. I'm live-tweeting the road trip at @tayalltheway and live Instagram-ing at @tayalltheway87 if you want to follow our adventures!

Update 11/18: We're here in Orange County. Look for a new trip report starting soon-ish (though I should probably work on finishing these ones first!)
1987 - WDW Visit in the Womb * 1990 - First WDW Visit * 1993 - First DLR Visit * March 1996 - Family Reunion at Treehouse Villas * March 1999 - Family Vacation at Treehouse Villas * March 2005 - One Day at MK with Friends * May 2008 - First Visit with then girlfriend (now wife) at POP * June 2010 - Disneymoon at Best Western LBV * Sept 2011 - Return to Disneyland at PP * May 2012 - Grand Prize WDW Radio Trip at POR Royal Room * November 2012 - Move to CA to become DLR locals!

Can We Move Here and Be Pancho’s Handlers? A Sept '11 Throwback Disneyland Trip Report
Duffy is Going to be ECSTATIC! a.k.a. Thank God She Was Jewish - May '12 WDW Trip Report

Last edited by tayalltheway; 11-19-2012 at 01:38 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:41 AM   #65
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesalad View Post
Ahhh I love Indy so much! Such an incredible ride

Um what is that goat wearing and more importantly, why did we not see him when we were there?? We have been to Disneyland a bunch of times during September and yet there have been no dressed up goats! Ripped off
Indy was awesome, and I can't wait to see it all refreshed once it opens from the long refurb they've got it under now.

I don't know exactly what the goat was supposed to be dressed up as, but we certainly approved!! There was a big "Day of the Dead" exhibit near Rancho del Zocalo, so maybe it had something to do with that? Or he just felt festive!

Old 11-30-2012, 01:32 AM   #66
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 19
Fantasies Come True

Our first stop after riding Indiana Jones was back in Tomorrowland.

We must have gotten some Fastpasses for Space Mountain again (I find myself not remembering when we got Fastpasses and for which attractions since its been a while since this trip&)

I know we really liked Ghost Galaxy each time we rode. Once the whole ride wasnt a surprise anymore, we got to enjoy the overlay a little more. Its definitely spooky!! Still in a roller coaster mood, we headed to the majestic Matterhorn next to take a ride on the Matterhorn Bobsleds.

This was one of those rides about which I only had the vaguest of recollections from my trip when I was five. It was probably one of the first roller coasters I had ever ridden at that point, and I remember it being pretty scary. This time we were a little scared of it as well, but only because wed read in advance that it was supposed to be one of the roughest rides in the park, and neither of us wanted to hurt our already injured backs/necks.

Still, we decided to ride at least once to get the experience, and decide from there if it was a ride wed be frequenting on the trip or not.

The queue for the Matterhorn Bobsleds was relatively long, stretching all the way back around the mountain itself, but it moved very fast. I dont think we were waiting longer than ten minutes before it was time to board.

We chose the left side of the track, not having ever heard if one side was better than the other. We laughed at the ridiculous seating method and seatbelts. Im not at all surprised they changed the configuration of the cars in the refurb right after our tripIm more surprised that it took them so many years to change& In a matter of moments, we were off! The ride was definitely fun, but rough is an understatement. It definitely took a toll on my back and neck, mostly because of how low down you are in the car. I could really feel EVERY bump. I was a little glad to get back on solid ground after the trip around the mountain was over. Unfortunately, I didnt foresee myself riding that one again any time soon. Tracy fared a little better than me at least, so she was game to ride again sometime.

Staying in Fantasyland, we decided to hit some more dark rides. First, it was time for a spin on Alice in Wonderland.

Its been a really long time since Ive watched the movie Alice in Wonderland, though Ive been meaning to revisit it. All I remember from when I last saw it some twenty years ago is that its one of the more bizarre Disney movies. The same could certainly be said of the ride. While being a classic Disney dark ride, Alice definitely has a very quirky feel to it. My favorite part was probably when the ride goes outside simply because I know its the only dark ride that does that!

After returning from Wonderland, it was time to revisit a ride I hadnt gone on since the Disney World version closed many years agoMr. Toads Wild Ride.

This ride would actually have held the blame if I had grown up not liking the Disney parks. When I went to WDW when I was three years old, my parents took me on this ride and I was TERRIFIED of it! I dont know if it was the trip to hades, or the wildness of the journey, but I hear the story all the time that after going on this ride I thought everything would be scary and was even scared to go on the PeopleMover. Luckily, I overcame my fear by the time I went on my first trip to Disneyland two years later. I know I had to be talked into riding, but I also know that I did ride. I remember the ride as being both thrilling and very fast. I think I also rode in WDW when I was eight, but by the time we went again when I was ten, Toad had been murdered by Pooh.

So those were my Toad memories coming into this first journey to nowhere in particular in over fifteen years. We actually watched The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad about a week before our trip. I was well acquainted with The Wind in the Willows having played Badger in a production of the musical when I was eleven, but I wanted to be reminded of how Disney handled the story.

Tracy had never seen the movie before, and later admitted she was glad we had watched it beforehand so she had some idea what was going on in the ride.

We made it through the queue pretty quickly and entered Toad Hall.

We were excited when a Cyril car pulled up for us because he was probably our favorite character.

Lo and behold, my younger self had greatly exaggerated the memory of the wildness of the ride. Its actually pretty tame. I do understand how I might have been scared of it as a three year-old, however. You do get hit by a train and die after all& On the whole, it was fun, and Im really glad that Mr. Toad (like Snow White) still exists in Disneyland.

Our next stop was King Arthur Carrousel.

I love that the carrousels never have much of a line, because theyre a great spur of the moment attraction when you happen to be in the mood. We got on and grabbed some good horses.

And we were off! We spun around for a while and enjoyed the simplest of Disney rides immensely. Having knocked out a good portion of Fantasyland, we decided to head back to New Orleans Square via Frontierland.

The Columbia was in action and we thought about riding it. In the end, we wished we had because it turned out it only ran during the weekends and this was our only weekend day&

We were on our way back, of course, for another ride through The Haunted Mansion Holiday. Number two of MANY.

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by tayalltheway; 12-02-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #67
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 20
Deep-Fried

I think we must have had Fastpasses for this go on the Haunted Mansion, because the standby line looks pretty long in these pictures.

I know we only waited a few minutes, but I took several pictures of the queue area because it was just so well done.

Unlike the mansion in WDW, I think the Disneyland mansion looks like a house Id actually like to live in. The outside looks stately rather than too spooky.

Once again, we liked being able to see the pet cemetery a little better.

We quickly got to the front of the line and thoroughly enjoyed our second ride through Jacks mansion. Every time we rode we found new details. It was also fun noticing some of the elements we recognized from the regular mansion and how they are tweaked for this version.

After exiting the Mansion, we went over to another unique Disneyland land for the first timeCritter Country.

We decided to get in line for The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.

Only there was no line! In Disneyland this ride seems to always be a walk-on, solike Lou Mongellowe walked on Pooh.

I would have to rate the Disneyland version of Pooh well above the WDW version. I dont know what it is about the ride, but it feels much more complete here. I also prefer these ride vehicles, though neither park holds a candle to the videos Ive seen of the Pooh ride in Tokyo. There the ride is trackless and looks awesome. Anyway, I digress. We enjoyed our trip through the Hundred Acre Wood as I knew we would. We love Pooh and all his friends, so whats not to like about this ride?

Having survived a very blustery day and encounters with heffalumps and woozles, we returned to Critter Country. It was starting to get dark and we were starting to get hungry. Even though we were still a little more than a half-hour early for our first priority seating reservation, we decided to start walking toward our dinner locale.

Arriving back in New Orleans Square, we checked in early at Café Orleans. Our reservation was still just under a half-hour away, and they told us we would be seated in about a half-hour& Sometimes it doesnt work to be early. Rather than wander too far off, however, we settled on some benches in New Orleans Square while we waited.

And right at our reservation time they called us to be seated.

Sitting outside on the patio seemed like a good idea at the time. We wanted to be able to people-watch during dinner and to enjoy the ambience of New Orleans Square. Unfortunately, as it got dark, it also got chilly, and we hadnt gone back to grab our sweatshirts from our hotel room yet. We quickly began shivering in our t-shirts and shorts, but there really wasnt anything we could do. Even moving inside wouldnt have helped too much, because we noticed on our walk through the building to the patio that it was heavily air conditioned in there! Instead we did all we could to try to get warm, including laying our napkins on our laps before the food came out in case that little amount of covering warmed usspoiler alert: it did not help.

Luckily, it didnt take that long for our food to come out, and nothing warms you up like stuffing your face with delicious, fried food. Since it was our first visit to Café Orleans, we had to try the signature dishes. For a starter, we ordered the much-raved about Pommes Frites.

These were DELICIOUS. They were everything I could expect from French fries and more. The seasonings were just great, and we devoured a huge percentage of the fries very quickly. But then, not more than a few minutes later, our main course came out. We had decided to split the famous Monte Cristo Sandwich. Now, I have to say that I went against my better judgment even ordering this sandwich. Id had a Monte Cristo once at a Bennigans in Colorado, and I really didnt enjoy it that much. Im all for eating fried foods, but an entire deep-fried sandwich is just a little gross. I decided that since its so popular, however, the Disney version must be somehow better. And it was. But it was still a Monte Cristo. It was only our first day at Disney, and with this sandwich, I was already starting to get a little sick of fried food. Uh oh. Tracy and I both enjoyed our first segments of sandwich, but after that we started feeling overfull, and didnt think it was wise to try to finish. I wasnt in the habit yet of remembering to take pictures before eating, so heres my half-eaten Monte Cristo.

In the end, we were a little sad because we had hoped wed have room for beignets at the end of this meal, but we just couldnt stomach the thought of more fried food at that moment. I think I have to admit that Monte Cristos just arent for me. The exception, however, might just be the Monte Cristo Bites theyre currently offering at the Jingle Jangle Jamboree. In small portions, I think I would enjoy the overall flavor. I just dont think Ill be ordering the whole sandwich again. And so, we settled our bill without even getting dessert, and we moved back out into the park.

Overview of Café Orleans Dining Experience
Service: Decent, though I remember when we had finished eating and just wanted the check so we could go, our sever was nowhere to be found for at least ten minutes. 3.5/5
Atmosphere: Since we sat out on the patio, its hard to rate the actual ambience of the restaurant. The theming is well done, though, and I had nothing to complain about (except the cold). 4/5
Food: The fries were great, and the Monte Cristo was what we were expecting, so it wasnt their fault that it made us overfull. 4/5

Will Return?: I would definitely come back if I noticed something else on the menu I wanted to try. At the very least, Id stop in for a lighter meal of Pommes Frites and Mickey-shaped beignets!

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by tayalltheway; 12-07-2012 at 02:47 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:46 AM   #68
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 21
Duffy Does Disneyland

We left Café Orleans and decided it would be dumb for us to go any longer without changing into some warmer clothes. We exited the park and walked back to Paradise Pier. This time we followed the directions given us by our precocious young friend that morning, and I dont even think we got too lost as we walked through the Grand Californian and across the way to our hotel.

After both changing into long pants and grabbing sweatshirts, we quickly turned around and started heading straight back toward Disneyland. Our night was far from over! It was at this point that we made the most important purchase of our trip, and I dont even have a single picture to document it. On our way back through the Grand Californian, we stopped at Acorns Gifts and Goods to buy some mouthwash. While we were there, we noticed that they sold Duffy bears in the corner of the shop. We knew we planned to purchase a Duffy on this trip having become enamored with him already, but we had assumed it would be an in-park purchase a little later in the trip. Since we were there, however, we just decided to pick one out now. We found the best Duffy, bought him, and brought him back to Disneyland with us!

As we got back to the main gates, we got a good look at all the Halloween décor lit up.

We entered the park and enjoyed seeing Main Street all lit up as well.

We decided to pose for some Photo Pass pictures in front of the Mickey pumpkin with Duffy in tow. Heres our first family portrait.

And heres our first family self-take.

We made our way toward the hub to get a good look at the castle all lit up.

I posed real pretty with Duffy.

People were already starting to stake out spots for the fireworks, which is what we were back for as well, so we grabbed a good spot and started waiting.

Since this was the only weekend day of our trip, we were faced with a conundrum of sorts. Being early fall, they only offered both fireworks and Fantasmic! on the weekends (when crowds are high enough to justify it). We, therefore, needed to figure out a way to squeeze both into the same night. I had asked ahead on Lines chat about whether this was possible and the best way to go about it, and the advice I received was: Watch the fireworks from the hub near the entrance to Frontierland. Then, after the fireworks, immediately make your way into Frontierland. At some point, you will encounter cast members who will hold you in place until the audience from the first Fantasmic! show is done exiting the area, then they will let you in and you can grab a good spot. So, did it work?

Well, we accomplished the first part of the plan without any issues. Our spot for the fireworks gave us a spectacular view and was right next to the entrance to Frontierland. When the fireworks started, I was treated to a new favorite show. As Ive said, I LOVE Wishes (and always cry during it), so I was glad that this show was basically Wishes-plus! Remember Dreams Come True was the current fireworks show when we were there. It had just replaced Magical, which apparently runs for most of the summer. The core of the show is Wishes, but it features a Julie Andrews introduction about Walt Disney and a tag paying tribute to each of the lands of Disneyland in turn. It was great!! My camera is good for many things, but fireworks pictures is not one of them. Here are a couple of them anyway.

Right as the fireworks were coming to an end, we started walking toward the Frontierland entranceit was apparently a popular idea, as we certainly werent alone. Walking quickly, we didnt get too deep into the land before we met the cast members holding us there until the Fantasmic! area cleared out. We waited for about five minutes before being allowed to pass, at which point we made a beeline to the Rivers of America. We took seats in the rear-middle of the seating section for Fantasmic!, which was exactly what we were going for. Next began the half-hour of waiting for the show to begin. I often start feeling dizzy if I have to sit on an uncomfortable surface for too long, so the ground seating for Fantasmic! wasnt ideal. I just sucked it up as best I could because I wasnt about to miss this show!

As show time approached, we started to get really excited. We had heard how much better the Disneyland version of Fantasmic! was supposed to be over the WDW version and were wondering how that could be possible considering how much weve always loved the WDW show. We decided to stay as spoiler-free as possible, so other than knowing about the new(ish) dragon animatronic, we had no real idea what to expect. I can say that I was blown away even more-so by the Peter Pan sequence than the dragon. The Pocahontas sequence has always seemed a little out of place in the WDW version, and I think Peter Pan and Captain Hook fighting on the Columbia is so well done. One of the pluses about Disneylands show is just how much more it feels like you are a part of the show because of how close you are to the action. It feels really immersive as opposed to the theatre at the Studios where you very much feel like the action is going on further away from you. Of course, the trade-off is that the seating is so much nicer at WDW, so I guess neither version is perfect. On the whole, I would have to rate this Fantasmic! a definite step above the WDW version, while still saying that I love both shows.

Part of the reason I love Fantasmic! so much is the incredible soundtrack, so Im glad that was still present in this version. Here are the couple pictures I bothered to try taking during one of my favorite musical sequences.

After the grand finaleand what a finale it is!we joined the throngs of people remaining in the park for a little while longer. On the one hand, this was our first day, and we knew that both opening and closing the parks wasnt the best idea if we wanted to keep our stamina. On the other hand, however, this was the only day of our trip that the parks were open past 9:00, so we wanted to get our fill of late-night Disney.

Our first stop after Fantasmic! was in Tomorrowland. We needed to use our Fastpasses for Star Tours that we got way back at the beginning of the day.

This was going to be Duffys first ride, so we had to document the moment.

Luckily, he was well-versed on how to properly wear his 3D glasses.

What a pro! Once again, we blasted off into space, and once again, we got our soon-to-be-famous Hoth/Death Star combo. We were a little disappointed to have gotten the same two destinations on our only two rides this day, but we told ourselves, Oh well, we still have plenty more opportunities to ride and experience all the different options.

By now, it was already starting to get close to the midnight closing time, but we wanted to re-ride another of our favorite attractions now that it was dark. We walked back to Frontierland and got in the very short line for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

We could see the illuminated Mark Twain from the queue!

This ride at night is one of Disneylands hidden treasures. I highly recommend riding it when its dark out, because its an entirely new experience. The ride is masterfully lit, and the combination of dim lights with the caves being almost pitch black makes the attraction just a little spooky and really fun.

We were still on board the train as the clock ticked to midnight and the park officially closed, so we had to start making our way toward the exit. On the way, we saw the Matterhorn with the moon shining brightly overhead.

When we got to Main Street, it was like the otherwise empty park came to life again as we caught up with all the families slowly exiting.

We were tempted to wait around on Main Street until they kicked us out, but we had to draw the line somewhere in terms of how late we wanted to stay out. We still had an early morning the next day, after all. So we walked toward the exit gates, taking a few pictures of the Emporium windows on the way out.

Getting back to Paradise Pier, we realized we were exhausted. This had been an extremely long day. We had started our days in the parks with flair, however, being there from open to close, and we had already started making some fantastic memories. After showering and getting ready for bed, I think we both were asleep as soon as our heads hit the pillows.

Overview of September 18, 2011

Highs
- Getting into Disneyland for the first time on this trip!
- All the new (to us) rides and different versions of old favorites
- Meeting Pancho
- Buying Duffy!
- Cramming fireworks and Fantasmic! into a night full of spectaculars
- Being in Disney from open to close
- Seeing all the Halloween decorations for the first time

Lows
- Not understanding that we could have used Magic Morning
- The cold moments (at park opening and dinner)
- Not meeting the villains we had been in line for

Weather
Mid 80s and sunny (though it was around 60 at the cold times of day)

Food of the Day
Pommes Frites from Café Orleans

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by tayalltheway; 12-10-2012 at 02:07 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:49 PM   #69
oypoodles
Earning My Ears

All of your pictures look so nice! Those fries look delicious!
oypoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:02 AM   #70
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oypoodles View Post
All of your pictures look so nice! Those fries look delicious!
Thanks! The fries were SO good! I want to get some again ASAP.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:07 AM   #71
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

September 19, 2011

Chapter 22
A Late “Early” Morning

Waking up after a very good night’s sleep, Tracy and I quickly got ready so we could make rope drop. Duffy enjoyed his first night with us.

Tracy enjoyed some coffee.

And Duffy decided to go back to bed.

Donning our hats, we made our way downstairs.

This time, we were pros at going through the Grand Californian into Downtown Disney.

The Grand Californian is just so incredibly pretty. Having spent a lot of time there over the last couple weeks, I’ve become very fond of the place, and the detours through the hotel on this trip were a nice introduction.

Arriving back at the esplanade, we noticed how much nicer the weather was this morning than it had been the day before.

We didn’t have to wait for the clouds to burn off, and enjoyed some nice sun instead! Having spent our whole first day in Disneyland, it only makes sense that we would spend this day in… Disneyland?

No. We were, in fact, planning to spend most of this day at Disney California Adventure, but we had a stop to make in Disneyland first. As we queued up at the gates, the Disneyland Marching Band played a song in front of the entrance.

One of the things I came to LOVE about Disneyland is just how much live music there is at any given time. I know it’s all scheduled, but it always felt so impromptu, and it always came as a fun surprise.

We were let through the gates after the band finished playing, and started walking toward Main Street.

The throngs of people were all waiting for rope drop just as they had been the day before, only this day didn’t have Magic Morning, so everyone was being held this time.

Our spot amongst the crowd was a little ways back from the rope, but we knew we were heading somewhere that not many other people would be going, so we didn’t mind.

Besides, there were still PLENTY of people behind us.

At 10:00, the announcement played welcoming us all to Disneyland. 10:00 felt SO late for a rope drop! Before this trip, I think the latest we’d ever had a park open before was 9:00 at WDW… Once the park was officially open, we started to walk back toward Fantasyland.

By the sheer fact that we didn’t have children in tow, Tracy and I moved much faster than most of the families around us, and soon found we were among the head of the pack as we entered Fantasyland past the Matterhorn.

We weren’t simply going to Fantasyland, however, so we kept walking, even past It’s a Small World.

This was actually our first real sighting of the outdoor façade for It’s a Small World, however, so we did stop for a second to take some pictures with the topiaries.

As we kept walking to the edge of Fantasyland, we continued outside the berm to our destination for this morning. We were the first to arrive at Mickey’s Toontown Morning Madness!

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by tayalltheway; 12-13-2012 at 03:04 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:04 AM   #72
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 23
Personalized Disney Magic

Mickey’s Toontown Morning Madness, for those of you who have never experienced it, is offered as a part of certain vacation packages. I have no idea if it’s basically only through agencies like Costco Travel and AAA or if normal Disney travel agencies include it. Since Toontown typically opens one hour after Disneyland, Morning Madness allows you to enter Toontown during that first hour when the park is open. On our day, there were probably only about 50-100 people taking advantage of Morning Madness. This allowed for VERY low crowds to meet characters and explore Toontown.

Upon turning in our Morning Madness tickets, we were allowed to burst in. It was almost unnerving how empty it was there. The characters were all waiting to greet us!

Remember that cast member in the picture with Minnie, as he’s about to become very important to this story. We met Minnie and took pictures with her.

The cast member had us do a fun, crazy pose as well.

Next, Pluto burst out of nowhere, so we took pictures with him.

Mickey was a little more dignified, so we had to actually walk up to him to take pictures.

By this point, a few more families had started filing in, but it was basically empty. We got as much time as we wanted to interact with each character. It was really special!

Suddenly, as we were waiting to take a picture with Donald and Goofy, the cast member who greeted us as we came in asked us if he could talk to us for a minute. Pulling us off to the side, he explained to us that as part of Morning Madness, every day they picked a family to be the Honorary Toontown Family of the Day. There was to be a ceremony in front of Toontown City Hall in a few minutes, and if we were interested, he thought we might like to be this morning’s family.

We were beyond excited! Having never been picked for anything like this before (remember this was several months before our being made Grand Marshals in Disney World), we thought this was so cool. Of course we said yes, so he took down some of our information. Mostly he wanted to know our names, where we were from, and what anniversary we were celebrating. Having written all that information down, he introduced us to the cast member who would be our “handler” during the ceremony. Basically, since we would have assigned seats, she would make sure they didn’t get taken, give us our cue to go up on stage, and take pictures for us during the ceremony. We thanked both of them and again reiterated our excitement.

It was still about fifteen minutes from when the ceremony was to start, so we went back to meeting and greeting characters. We started with Donald and Goofy.

Next we saw Chip and Dale running around.

We posed with Chip, but never did corral Dale.

We were mostly just so excited about our stroke of Disney magic this morning.

As the time approached, we headed over to City Hall and found our seats.

The family sitting in front of us was the epitome of the ugly American tourist. They were rude and obnoxious and had no control over their kids. They had taken our reserved seats, so our cast member attendant had to ask them to move. Unfortunately, they didn’t move too far, but luckily we could still see pretty well.

We realized that Toontown had gotten a little quiet as the characters had gone back to prepare for the Town Meeting. Then suddenly, music started playing and everyone burst forth out of City Hall.

The ceremony started out with a song and dance routine featuring the fab five plus Chip and Dale.

The Deputy Mayor of Toontown also came out to serve as our master of ceremonies.

After welcoming us all to Toontown, Mickey and the Deputy Mayor announced us as the honorary family of the day! I handed over my camera to our cast member helper and Tracy and I went up onstage.

We were given these awesome sashes denoting our honorary family status.

Next the Deputy Mayor had us introduce ourselves.

He asked us our names and where we were from, and then he told the audience all about how we were celebrating our anniversary.

Next, Mickey handed us a scroll and asked us if we would like to become honorary citizens of Toontown.

Of course we said yes!!

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by tayalltheway; 12-14-2012 at 02:32 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:31 AM   #73
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 24
Dual Citizenship

First, we had to take the citizenship oath.

We did the best we could, but some of the lines we had to repeat were a MOUTHFUL!

After we were made honorary citizens, the deputy mayor asked if everyone present would like to be made citizens.

Of course everyone obliged!

Luckily, everyone else just had to take a much-abridged oath.

Finally, the deputy mayor thanked us and we shook hands before returning to our seats.

The ceremony then wrapped up with another song, and the characters ran back off leaving Toontown to us for another short while.

The final reward for our being family of the day was to be the first ones admitted through Mickeys House for the day, and hence the first ones to get to meet and pose with Mickey. The cast member who had been taking care of us this morning led us to Mickeys House and made sure we got in line. Then, sadly, she asked for our sashes back& We had been a little hopeful that we would get to keep them, but I guess theyre expensive. We were all given Morning Madness buttons, at least, so we donned those with pride.

While we waited to be let into Mickeys House, I took some pictures of the doormat and front door.

Then the door opened and Mickey himself was there to greet us!

Mickey didnt seem to remember us as I thanked him for our honorary citizenship, and then I realized he was also wearing a slightly different outfit from the one during the ceremony. I guess there must have been a Mickey-switch somewhere in those five minutes&

We decided to really take our time going through Mickeys House this morning because we had the luxury of Toontown still being so empty. I took lots of pictures as we walked through.

I struck up a song on Mickeys piano.

Tracy had to lay out on Plutos bed like I had the previous day.

Mickeys calendar is slightly out of date&

We found Plutos doghouse!

This time when we took a picture of ourselves in the mirror, we remembered to turn the flash off, so it came out a little better.

We enjoyed Donald and Goofys commentaries as we walked through the movie set area.

And, of course, noticed a few more small details.

Since we had already met Mickey, there was no need to wait to meet him yet again in the theatre, so we just skipped that part and headed outside.

Once outside, we looked around in Mickeys garage.

Mickey has a pretty sweet ride.

Once we were outside Mickey's House, our moment in the spotlight as the honorary family was over, so we went back to our day. At least we had our scroll and lots of pictures to remember the morning's events!

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by tayalltheway; 12-16-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #74
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 25
To Be a Toon

We were down to about the final fifteen minutes of Toontown Morning Madness, so we picked up our pace a little and went around trying to see as much as possible before the crowds increased as the public was let in. First we went over to Minnies House and took a picture of Tracy with her mailbox.

For some reason, we never went into Minnies House on this trip despite being in Toontown several times. Well have to make it a point to go next time were in that land. Since we had a picture of Tracy with Minnies mailbox, we went back over to Mickeys House to get a picture of me with his mailbox.

This time, Mickeys car was empty so I got in and took it for a spin.

Our next stop was Chip n Dales Treehouse.

We went up and explored it. It was fun to see all the little details like these pots.

Next, it was over to Donalds Boat.

I yelled into this periscope, but in the picture it looks like Donald is eating Pluto.

I liked the waterfalls at Donalds Boat.

Of course, its the S.S. Miss Daisy.

The boat also afforded great views of the rest of Toontown.

Unfortunately, we were a little tall for the Captains Quarters.

Heres the view of Goofys House from the boat.

That was our next destination. Unfortunately, Tracy drove Goofys car right into his mailbox.

This Mickey fountain was straight out of Epic Mickey, so we thought it was fun.

Next, we decided to ride Gadgets Go Coaster.

I had no idea who Gadget was. Im sure I watched some Rescue Rangers when I was younger, but it stands out less than most of the other Disney Channel shows from my childhood. There was literally no one in line for the coaster as we walked through the queue, and I took lots of pictures because the area is actually really well-themed.

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by tayalltheway; 12-20-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:14 PM   #75
disneyismyheart247
Living the California and Disney Dream

Score on the honorary citizens awards! Toontown is so cool, one of the best themed lands in the park.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: