Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #16
micheleq
DIS Veteran

Ebags XO Spinner. Light & a lifetime guarantee. We have two 24" ones for our family of four, as well as the TLS 21" carry on. Also have a set of LLBean non-rolling duffles (Sportsman collection I think, not available anymore), also love those as carry ons for their size (and the lifetime guarantee!).

CB 1/01 SSR 12/08 YC-CL 10/11 SSR 11/14
Magic Western Caribbean 2/12
Wonder Easter 3/13 Western Caribbean
Fantasy Easter 4/14 Eastern Caribbean
DL PPH-CL 8/13
micheleq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #17
mufasa0505
DIS Veteran

Another vote for Briggs & Riley. We went through American Touristers, Dockers, cheapos from Target. The B&R have made it through 5 trips with no issues. If we do have an issue, they're guaranteed.

We have more than made up for what we spent on them, compared to the cheaper brands.

Disney Bride
September 19, 2005

mufasa0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #18
thechief
Mouseketeer

Tumi, period.
Their guarantee and repair service is top notch. We have been told by baggage handlers that Tumi is by far the best for the job.
thechief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #19
DarthTod
Mouseketeer

I have had great luck with Samsonite, although my main piece rarely has to deal with baggage handlers. It only has to deal with me dragging it around, which may be a little worse on some occasions. I do also have a Samsonite suitcase for checking, it's a hard case on the back, soft on the front and has proven very resilient. My most enduring piece, however, is my sea bag. The US Navy issued it to me in 1987 and it's still going strong.
DarthTod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:21 PM   #20
coloradodumbo
Mouseketeer

We have Samsonite, Victorinox, and Vera Bradley. The Samsonite and Victorinox go through TSA at least once a month, they have been on multiple cruises also, they are a little dirty but have held up nicely. My Vera Bradley I get a clear thick plastic cover that I put over it to keep it clean and prevent and tears in the fabric. The cover is cheap and saves my luggage!

I think that it all comes down to luck and personal preference! Before our Alaskan cruise with Disney last summer, my luggage went from Denver to Portland and somewhere between the two a huge hole developed in the bottom by the zipper. We ended up having to buy new luggage in Vancouver before our cruise because the duct tape fix wasn't holding that well. So good luck to everybody's luggage as it goes through the airports and cruise terminals luggage handling systems!
Old 11-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #21
Melissa S
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
We use these rolling duffles as well...I think we use the large size...the extra large size is too big and you will be charged extra baggage fees.

Another great thing about these are they have a LIFETIME guarantee. If they tear or rip or break LLBean will replace them for free.

They do need to redesign them so they stand upright without tipping over.

The Wenger corporate office is near us and they just had their warehouse sale this week...hubby picked me up a beautiful red Wenger Carry on bag for $59....regularly $119. Can't wait to use it for our next trip for the stuff we don't pack in the checked bag.

http://www.wengerna.com/sierre-21-in...-upright-12433

MJ
That is too funny! I drove by Wenger and Clarins everyday last week and didn't want to park 1/2 mile away and wait in those crazy lines. But since you got such a good deal on luggage I may have to endure the wait next time LOL.

Magic October 27, 2013 (5 night Halloween on the High Seas)
Wonder March 2, 2013 (5 night)
Magic September 7, 2012 (5 night)
Magic June 2, 2012 (8 night)
Dream December 26, 2011 (3 night)
Melissa S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #22
jiminyC_fan
Missing Captain Mickey!
always let your conscience be your guide
Gotta love popcorn!

Hope this isn't considered off topic but so many of you like the rolling duffle bags. Doesn't your clothing end up totally wrinkled? I have never owned one. What is the advantage of duffle bags over "regular" suitcases?

To answer the OP's question, we have the Delsey brand and quite honestly they are really holding up better than our several Samsonites that we have owned. We have also owned Target cheapies and they don't last but a trip or two.....at least for us.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #23
JeanfromBNA
"Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming!"

I swear by Briggs and Riley. The line is huge, but here's an example: Briggs & Riley Explore 22 Upright in Lava.

Yes, it costs more, but it will last years and shake off ill treatment. I have a soft briefcase/carryon that I bought in 1997 that I still use daily, and it looks like I bought it a year ago.

Delsey is a good brand at a lower price point. I have a 28" Delsey that I have used for 15 years, and about 50 trips, and it's still in good shape. Here is one of their carryons in blue.

A lot of airline personnel use Travel Pro. Here is their 20" rollaboard in Spruce.

1995 Disney Institute Treehouses 2005 Wilderness Lodge 2007 Yacht Club 2008 Coronado Springs 2008 Beach Club 2009 Grand Floridian 2009 Disney Wonder
2009 Disney Wonder 2009 Polynesian Resort 2011 Coronado Springs 2011 Portofino Bay Hotel UO 2012 Old Key West October, 2012, Proud new DVC AKL Kidani owners!May, 2013 Disney DreamSeptember, 2013 AulaniMarch, 2014 BWV October, 2014 AKV
JeanfromBNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:18 AM   #24
goofygurlie
Wag and the world wags with you...Howl and they put you outside.

I see that no one mentioned the Disney Store luggage...which I just purchased. (Uh oh) I travel quite a bit (1-3 times per month). Last year, I purchased a cheap set at Ross's. It's not much to look at, but it held up very well. I recently purchased my new Mickey luggage as a treat to myself and to spot it easily. It has only been on one trip. Now I'm wondering if I should just save it for road trips and revert back to the old set for air travel.....

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 11-19-2012, 12:38 AM   #25
DisSarahK
Missing Mickey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanfromBNA View Post
A lot of airline personnel use Travel Pro. Here is their 20" rollaboard in Spruce.
Yes, I use TravelPro and I've seen many flight attendants with my exact bag. I must have chosen well.

DisSarahK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:53 AM   #26
Casemily
Mouseketeer

From someone who has worked as a baggage handler, I'd love to offer a few tips when choosing luggage.
1. Try to get a bag with handles at the top, bottom, and middle. This is especially important if you're going to pack 40+ pounds.
2. Know that your bag may be under 4-5 other bags while traveling, so consider 150 pounds or more could be on your bag. Some fabric bags have better internal structure to handle the load over some hard side bags.
3. Spinner bags are notorious for wheels breaking or pushing into the bag and breaking the bag. If you really like these bags, purchase from a company with a lifetime guarantee. They cost more but those companies make a great product that doesn't break as quickly and will fix or replace the bags for almost all issues. Or purchase then small so they are carryons that fit in the overhead.
4. If you don't travel much, you can get bags for $20-40 at Walmart. Just know that it may only last for one trip.
5. Lots of flight crews purchase luggage from Costco/clubhouse due to the fact that they can return and purchase a new one quicker than getting a bag repaired.

Finally a couple other tips for baggage in general.
1. Ribbons are great for identifying your bag, but _please_ don't use the wire ribbon, it really hurts to get stuck/scratched up.
2. If you've purchased a super spendy couture bag. Please consider purchasing a cover for it as well if you get upset by dirt or stains or scratches. It rains and snows, people pack wine/purfume and don't pack it in plastic, and frankly airports are dirty and all this can travel and stain your bag.

Hope you find this helpful!
Casemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:04 AM   #27
mdvlprof
DIS Veteran

We go cheap. Anything valueable or irreplaceable, we carry on. When something happens to luggage, it's no big deal...
What is an FE?
DCL info thread

MK [and EPCOT under construction] 3/82, WDW 7/99, WDW/DCL 7/02, Indy DIS 9/10, PCC DCL/WDW 12/10Indy DIS 9/11 PCC DCL/WDW 12/12DAP 12/13
Cruised: DCL, CCL, X, RCCL, NCL
mdvlprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:46 AM   #28
kaseyC

Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER/POOH4 View Post
We have tried the cheap and mid range route and the gentle baggage handlers at MCO have destroyed all that passes through their good hands. We now have gone to a more expensive route and got Briggs and Riley due to the lifetime guarantee. Now we have no issues with luggage. We have purchase several Transcend 27 inch bags and are very happy.

http://www.briggs-riley.com/
I have to throw a vote in for Briggs and Riley. Love the lifetime guarantee. I have quite a few pieces from their Transcend line, my favorites are my 26 inch rolling duffles, rolling cabin bag and tote. Great luggage and worth every penny.
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014

kaseyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:15 AM   #29
bigtony777
Disney Veteran

I will recommend Traveler's Choice hardside spinners. We have used them for about 4 years and take 6-8 trips per year.

Upcoming: 7/14 - BWV, 11/14 - BWV (W&D 1/2), 12/14 - BWV

2014: Mar - BLT, Jan - VGC
2013: Dec - AS Sports/BWV , Nov - BWV(W&D 1/2), June - BWV/BCV, ), Mar - BLT/Fantasy Western Caribbean, Jan - BWV (Goofy)
2012: Nov - BWV (W&D 1/2), Aug - Offsite (Disneyland 1/2), June - BCV/WLV, Mar - AKV
2011: Dec - Pop/AS Movies, Nov - Pop, Oct - Dream Bahamas Cruise, BCV (W&D 1/2), July - Pop, June - Offsite, April - Pop
2010: Oct – Wilderness Lodge, AS Music (W&D 1/2), July – Caribbean Beach, April - Pop
2009: Dec – Offsite, Nov - Caribbean Beach, Oct - Coronado Springs, April - Pop
2008: July - Offsite
bigtony777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #30
jiminyC_fan
Missing Captain Mickey!
always let your conscience be your guide
Gotta love popcorn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casemily View Post
From someone who has worked as a baggage handler, I'd love to offer a few tips when choosing luggage.
1. Try to get a bag with handles at the top, bottom, and middle. This is especially important if you're going to pack 40+ pounds.
2. Know that your bag may be under 4-5 other bags while traveling, so consider 150 pounds or more could be on your bag. Some fabric bags have better internal structure to handle the load over some hard side bags.
3. Spinner bags are notorious for wheels breaking or pushing into the bag and breaking the bag. If you really like these bags, purchase from a company with a lifetime guarantee. They cost more but those companies make a great product that doesn't break as quickly and will fix or replace the bags for almost all issues. Or purchase then small so they are carryons that fit in the overhead.
4. If you don't travel much, you can get bags for $20-40 at Walmart. Just know that it may only last for one trip.
5. Lots of flight crews purchase luggage from Costco/clubhouse due to the fact that they can return and purchase a new one quicker than getting a bag repaired.

Finally a couple other tips for baggage in general.
1. Ribbons are great for identifying your bag, but _please_ don't use the wire ribbon, it really hurts to get stuck/scratched up.
2. If you've purchased a super spendy couture bag. Please consider purchasing a cover for it as well if you get upset by dirt or stains or scratches. It rains and snows, people pack wine/purfume and don't pack it in plastic, and frankly airports are dirty and all this can travel and stain your bag.

Hope you find this helpful!
Fantastic post!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: