Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #1051
NAB
That first page just got too heavy
Maybe I am the gloved one and have an inside scoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyfan1 View Post
The buses start leaving when they are filled. The ship is usually cleared by 7:30, and people can be out of the terminal by 7:45 on a good day. Now that doesn't mean the bus to WDW will leave at 8 am, but it is possible, if it is full. If you want to eat early, the buffet is open. Guests are called off the ship by luggage tags, too. In reality, most people can be off the ship by 8:30, all guests must be off by 9.
On the Dream they do not call off by luggage tags. You go to breakfast at your assigned time and get off the ship after that. I think they only call the tags when they are not in Port Canveral.

We had late breakfast and took the bus back. They know everyone who is taking the bus to resorts so you just go out to the buses check in and they direct you to the right bus. When it is full enough they go or know everyone going to that resort is there they go.

It is up to you if you want to be on one of the first buses to WDW you can go to the buffet like others said. We tried to stay on the ship as long as possible.
NAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #1052
leighi123
Earning My Ears

If you go to Atlantis in Nassau, how does the bus system work? i.e. is there a huge wait with a zillion people all trying to get on the buses at once?

And, our group of 6 is all planning on going to Atlantis, but 2 of us doing a different activity than the others - does everyone ride the same bus or is there one for each type of excursion? (all in the same general location)

If we take a water taxi to get to Atlantis, how does that all work? how close is it from the ship, and from Atlantis?

Are towels provided at Atlantis or can we use the DCL ones or should we pack them?

We are still working out the best way to do Atlantis price and convince wise - either through DCL, OR water taxi over there and buy day passes OR water taxi to comfort suits and get a day room there.

We have 1 kid in a carseat, so if we took a bus or water taxi we would avoid bringing the carseat, we don't want to take a regular taxi b/c of that.
leighi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2012, 10:02 PM   #1053
cypressmom
Love my Disney vacations!

[QUOTE=NAB]On the Dream they do not call off by luggage tags. You go to breakfast at your assigned time and get off the ship after that. I think they only call the tags when they are not in Port Canaveral. [/lQUOTE]

In Galveston, they do not call luggage tags. You go to your assigned breakfast and exit when they ate cleared.

Disney World, 1986,1995, 2011 & 2014
Disneyland, 2001, 2007, 2010, 2011 & 2013
Disney Cruise Line, 2012 & 2014
cypressmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #1054
jacob408
Earning My Ears

Glad I found this thread. Lots of good info.
jacob408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #1055
CrawfordMomof2
Mouseketeer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherekhan View Post
We rode the tram to the family beach and kept walking down the path. They were to the left hand side (the ocean side) of the path. I can't remember exactly where but it was definitely past the Flying Dutchman and before you come to the shopping area.

The wagons really come in handy especially if you want to get to the least crowded part of the family beach. There are ideal shady hammocks by the Heads Up bar on the very far side that my family used, but you have to cross a fair amount of sand to get there and my umbrella stroller would not have made it.

There were a lot of people doing what I was doing...hestiantly taking them and looking both ways for someone to leap out of the foliage saying "What's your room number??!!?" But no one did!
I'm a soon to be first time cruiser, and that made me spit out my soda! I needed that laugh!
CrawfordMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #1056
phoenixleigh
Mouseketeer

Subbing
Old 11-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #1057
DISNEYFOURME
Mouseketeer

What about tips for your breakfast servers? Last cruise we were unsure what to do at breakfast for our servers..we ended up leaving cash on the table as we noticed others had. Obviously we tip our normal servers at the end of our cruise but at breakfast we had different servers..what is correct way???
DISNEYFOURME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #1058
Hollywood Glitter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISNEYFOURME
What about tips for your breakfast servers? Last cruise we were unsure what to do at breakfast for our servers..we ended up leaving cash on the table as we noticed others had. Obviously we tip our normal servers at the end of our cruise but at breakfast we had different servers..what is correct way???
The serving staff at breakfast is the same as dinner. The difference is they don't work your tables. Basically your servers at night are serving others in the morning and lunch. You can always tip them if you feel like it. There's no right or wrong. Ideally they get tipped when their patrons tip at the end of the cruise. But everyone could use a tip ... LOL
Hollywood Glitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #1059
mickeyfan1
Come and let me show you my tatoo
Let me drive you crazy.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISNEYFOURME View Post
Technically the tip you leave at the end of the cruise for your MDR servers covers them for all meals they srve, so while you may be at a table with my servers, they are getting my tios, and I may be at a table with your servers, so they are getting your tip. I have, in over 25 cruises, neverseen anyone leave a tip for breakfast service, on DCL or any other line. If you read the DCL website, it indicates that the tip you leave your own serviers is all that is expected. I am sure your breakfast servers were surprised and happy, tho.
mickeyfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:37 PM   #1060
violetmonarch
Mouseketeer

Unhappy

Forgive me for being "green" but I am confused about the passports. Some posts say that we are to leave them with Guest Services, but another post says that it's not required. Another post says that we must take them with us when we are at port, but then what happens to them if we are on an excursion where we are going to be in the water or there is no secure place to store our passports? (I am totally screwed if that is the case)

Second, the whole auto-tip on vs off thing has me concerned. Help please!
violetmonarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:36 PM   #1061
morainechef
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetmonarch
Forgive me for being "green" but I am confused about the passports. Some posts say that we are to leave them with Guest Services, but another post says that it's not required. Another post says that we must take them with us when we are at port, but then what happens to them if we are on an excursion where we are going to be in the water or there is no secure place to store our passports? (I am totally screwed if that is the case)

You are traveling, just get the passports. And just go with the recommended gratuity.
morainechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:53 PM   #1062
Hollywood Glitter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetmonarch

You are not required to leave your passport with guest services. In fact I would not let it leave your sight if you are off ship except in castaway cay. Trust me I've known a few people who have missed the ship at port. If you are in a US port just lock the passport in your safe and use your drivers license. You can easily find a waterproof carrier that can go around your neck for any water excursions.

What exactly about the tips confuses you?

Last edited by Hollywood Glitter; 11-19-2012 at 01:09 AM.
Hollywood Glitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:24 AM   #1063
sheadley
Mouseketeer

My passport will not be leaving my in room safe. You do not need them when in port. You've already gotten into the country, no need to carry them around with you. Carry your license instead.

If anything happens to your passport you are screwed.
sheadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:37 AM   #1064
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morainechef View Post
You are traveling, just get the passports. And just go with the recommended gratuity.
They didn't ask if they should get passports or not.
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

EPCOTatNight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:08 AM   #1065
violetmonarch
Mouseketeer

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOTatNight View Post
They didn't ask if they should get passports or not.
Thank you. No, I have our passports but my concern is taking them with me to port vs leaving them in the safe. My TA advised me to leave them in the safe, but in previous posts others were taking them with them. There may be waterproof holders for them, but what a hassle to deal with three passports (mine and my 2 kids') and managing two kids without help when I am going to be where I am not permitted to have anything but my bathing suit on me due to the animals. That was the real concern.
I have also read from other sources that some guests experienced less than satisfactory service than others because it may or may not have been made known to CM who decided to leave auto tip on and who took it off (thereby thinking they were getting stiffed of a tip). I haven't heard much talk about that here, so I was curious if anyone here had any thoughts on that.
I am happy happy to be going in little over two months, and this thread was great to find. Everyone had added some good bit of info! I am all ears, LOL
violetmonarch is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: