Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 01:37 AM   #2431
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

Sorry if this has already been covered elsewhere - I definitely believe in doing your own research before asking questions, but this is a very long thread and I got tired after about 5 pages

I will possibly be staying at ASMu in December on the AP discount. Can you request a certain section or building to stay in when you book online, or do you have to call? We would want to stay in the Broadway section, near the BatB sign - which building should we request?

MK '99 ~ WDW vacation '01 (ASMu) ~ DL/DCA '03 ~ Now a FL resident seasonal passholder!
Everything you ever wanted to know about Be Our Guest
parkhopping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:57 AM   #2432
dancin Disney style
I found one to share with some fab american disers
Could you break off the handle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkhopping View Post
Sorry if this has already been covered elsewhere - I definitely believe in doing your own research before asking questions, but this is a very long thread and I got tired after about 5 pages

I will possibly be staying at ASMu in December on the AP discount. Can you request a certain section or building to stay in when you book online, or do you have to call? We would want to stay in the Broadway section, near the BatB sign - which building should we request?

You are better off calling in your request...more than 10 days before checking in. So far I have always had my requests granted when I called in advance to make them but more importantly when I did NOT use online check in. The times I did use the online check in I was given the furthest possible thing from what I wanted and then had to go through a big thing to get it changed.....which by the way what I wanted was available, so why didn't they do it in the first place? I will no longer use the online check in for that reason but also,there is normally one CM working the online counter and 4-6 working the regular check in counter. We have moved through the regular check in faster.

ETA....really what I'm saying is if you have a request that you are really hoping to get don't use the online check in. It's much easier to talk with a CM while they are doing the process to see what you were assigned and what you would like, if it's available.
Register to remove

Old 11-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #2433
loganjared
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancin Disney style

You are better off calling in your request...more than 10 days before checking in. So far I have always had my requests granted when I called in advance to make them but more importantly when I did NOT use online check in. The times I did use the online check in I was given the furthest possible thing from what I wanted and then had to go through a big thing to get it changed.....which by the way what I wanted was available, so why didn't they do it in the first place? I will no longer use the online check in for that reason but also,there is normally one CM working the online counter and 4-6 working the regular check in counter. We have moved through the regular check in faster.

ETA....really what I'm saying is if you have a request that you are really hoping to get don't use the online check in. It's much easier to talk with a CM while they are doing the process to see what you were assigned and what you would like, if it's available.
Maybe we have just lucked out but we always go online check in & have always gotten our requests. We don't check in until around midnight so I'm always pleasantly surprised we get our request arriving so late.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

6/1994 Honeymoon CBR; 6/2004 DS's first trip/10 yr anniversary CBR; 6/2005 ASMo; 2/2007 ASSp; 6/2009 15 yr anniversary ASMo; 6/2010 POFQ; 6/2011 POFQ

loganjared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:22 AM   #2434
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganjared View Post
Maybe we have just lucked out but we always go online check in & have always gotten our requests. We don't check in until around midnight so I'm always pleasantly surprised we get our request arriving so late.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
I think you have just been lucky. I have used the online check in about 6 times and never got our requests met. I concluded that when checking in online they just plugged you into the room that was clean at the time you say you are checking in. This was all at various resorts too.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:24 AM   #2435
dancin Disney style

Quote:
Originally Posted by angwill View Post
I think you have just been lucky. I have used the online check in about 6 times and never got our requests met. I concluded that when checking in online they just plugged you into the room that was clean at the time you say you are checking in. This was all at various resorts too.
I agree.....I usually only ask for a certain building and if I'm feeling really bold I'll also ask for for a side ie: not facing the pool. We have arrived morning and night and at different resort only to find that we have been assigned the complete opposite to what I wanted. Then it takes a good 15-20 minutes to get it changed....they need a manager to do it.

When I use the regular check in line as soon as we finish saying hello etc. with the CM I politely ask if I had been granted my request. I either get a "yes, you wanted ......" or I am asked what I wanted. They then assign the building that I wanted. So far it has worked for us.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #2436
loganjared
Mouseketeer

This was several years ago, so it may have changed, but this is what a CM told me once at check in. I asked if the online check in helped us get our requests since we arrive so late in the day and most of the people have already checked in. The CM said that the online check in cuts down on check in time, but that they do not assign your room until you are physically present. That is why I was always so suprised that we got what we asked for because we arrive around midnight.
We basically always did the online check in because that line is always really short.
Now I'm wondering if I should continue to do online check in or not. We are breaking up our drive this year so we will drive over 2 days instead of 1. That will put us arriving around 2 in the afternoon.
Decisions decisions

6/1994 Honeymoon CBR; 6/2004 DS's first trip/10 yr anniversary CBR; 6/2005 ASMo; 2/2007 ASSp; 6/2009 15 yr anniversary ASMo; 6/2010 POFQ; 6/2011 POFQ

loganjared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #2437
dancin Disney style

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganjared View Post
This was several years ago, so it may have changed, but this is what a CM told me once at check in. I asked if the online check in helped us get our requests since we arrive so late in the day and most of the people have already checked in. The CM said that the online check in cuts down on check in time, but that they do not assign your room until you are physically present. That is why I was always so suprised that we got what we asked for because we arrive around midnight.
We basically always did the online check in because that line is always really short.
Now I'm wondering if I should continue to do online check in or not. We are breaking up our drive this year so we will drive over 2 days instead of 1. That will put us arriving around 2 in the afternoon.
Decisions decisions
The rooms are assigned prior to arrival.....otherwise how could they have your package ready ahead of time. Also, if they assigned it upon arrival it would be very easy to make a change to the assignment. This is not the case at all...it requires a manager to make any changes. When this has happened to me, as I stated, it took a nearly 20 minutes to change just the building that I was assigned to and the manager had to take the package into the back office to straighten it out. I didn't care what room I was in only the building. The times that I used online check in the resorts were not even close to being full so there really was no reason at all for them not to fufill my request right from the get go. Sometimes it seems to me that they either want to mess with you or make extra work for themselves.

Just an FYI.....I'm never demanding about getting my requests. I fully realize that they can not always be honoured and it certainly would not ruin my vacation.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #2438
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancin Disney style View Post
The rooms are assigned prior to arrival.....otherwise how could they have your package ready ahead of time. Also, if they assigned it upon arrival it would be very easy to make a change to the assignment. This is not the case at all...it requires a manager to make any changes. When this has happened to me, as I stated, it took a nearly 20 minutes to change just the building that I was assigned to and the manager had to take the package into the back office to straighten it out. I didn't care what room I was in only the building. The times that I used online check in the resorts were not even close to being full so there really was no reason at all for them not to fufill my request right from the get go. Sometimes it seems to me that they either want to mess with you or make extra work for themselves.

Just an FYI.....I'm never demanding about getting my requests. I fully realize that they can not always be honoured and it certainly would not ruin my vacation.

I too have been told the online check in assigns your room ahead of time. I would bet as soon as rooms are clean they assign the next online reservation to that room depending on what they post is the time you will be there.

I tend to get total opposite of my request too. My last few trips I have also been told by the manager after they go checking in the back room that there are no other rooms available in the set of buildings I requested but that if I am serious they can move me in the morning. I think they hope I will say forget it but I always pleasantly tell them I understand and will be back first thing in the morning for the new room. I don't know why it needs to be so complicated especially since we always go on off season when I know not all those rooms are filled.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #2439
Majik9
Earning My Ears

Smile

Quote:
You are better off calling in your request...more than 10 days before checking in. .
So what # do you call these request into? Also, recommendation for what should be requested at ASMu for family of 4 with 8 & 6 year old kids?
Majik9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #2440
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik9 View Post
So what # do you call these request into?
The Central Reservations # 407-W-DISNEY (407-934-7639).
Old 12-14-2012, 07:51 AM   #2441
dancin Disney style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik9 View Post
So what # do you call these request into? Also, recommendation for what should be requested at ASMu for family of 4 with 8 & 6 year old kids?
I have no idea what you would want to request. That's a personal choice. I usually only request the building theme that I want to be in ie: Jazz or Broadway. When we book a preferred room I will request a non pool facing room.

You might want a room that is close to the parking lot (if you have a car) or you might want a quiet location. Maybe a certain floor in the building.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #2442
susanrose73
Mouseketeer

Can anyone help with my following 2 questions, please?

1. Do any of the standard rooms have king size beds?

2. What would be the quietest area I should request, still being somewhat near the main building?

Thank you in advance for any help.

June 2013: POR Anniversary Trip!
susanrose73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:03 PM   #2443
dancin Disney style

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanrose73 View Post
Can anyone help with my following 2 questions, please?

1. Do any of the standard rooms have king size beds?

2. What would be the quietest area I should request, still being somewhat near the main building?

Thank you in advance for any help.
1. yes, there are a few.

2. the quietest place I have found is at the back of any building right near the parking lot, 2nd or 3rd floor.

The quietest room we have every had was in Jazz, 3rd floor, last room at the end of the walkway(parking lot end). We felt like we were the only people there. The closer you get to the elevator, vending machines or pools the more noise you will have. I think the fact that we were the last room made an enormous difference as no ever walked past. Also, the room beside us was a suite and that door was not beside ours.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:49 PM   #2444
Eeyore's My Favorite
EW Disney Mom

Quote:

I've used online check in the last 2 times we've gone & I won't use it again because of the preassignments. Neither time have we gotten what we paid for or requested. This last time was a POP & the treatment from the supervisor was so bad that I wrote WDW & got a written reply & a telephone call regarding my issues & what happened. The room location was not what we had paid for so I went back down & asked for it to be changed. Hotel wasn't packed so I couldn't understand her issues. I told the Rep that I won't use online check in again if that's whats going to continue to happen.

Well - the AP's have run out so it's time to begin saving again for the big 30th Wedding Anniversary Celebration.

AKL, CBR, WL, POP, POR, ASMo, ASMu, AS Sports, Fort Wilderness -1973-Grad Night : 1st WDW visit the year it opened!!
Eeyore's My Favorite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #2445
chloesmommy
Earning My Ears

Is there a diagram of the resort showing where the family suites are located?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: