Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
morainechef
Earning My Ears

Just back from Wonder Mexican Riviera

First Disney Cruise was a blast! Great service, good fun. What a great ship. We stayed at the Red Lion Anaheim for 3 nights prior to the cruise, was a nice hotel, great rate, super close to Disneyland. While there we used the ART buses to get to and from Disney which was super cheap. We had a great time at Disney, even saw some of the Christmas parade. As for getting to and from the port I used limos.com as our ground transportation, this worked out great as you can plug in all your trip info to their website and then you get companies bidding for your business. Certainly was nice to be picked up in a nice car.

Got to the port at 12:30 and were directed almost immediately on to the ship. We brought our own beer and wine on in our carry on with no worries at all. Had a nice lunch at Beach Blanket on the deck overlooking the port. I bought the beer stein for $14 which was good to have for filling up with draft at bar for $6 or putting my own beer in, plus I have a great souvenir.

We stayed in stateroom 2090 which was a free upgrade from an inside stateroom. Great room, midship close to elevators, laundry. Some noise outside port hole at night but we got used to this. Room service was great, my little girl loved all the free milk and cookies, bring cash for tips to room service people.

Entertainment was great! Good movies always in rooms and in theatre. My daughter loves the club and lab, she couldn't get enough of it. We didn't go to the shows, maybe next cruise. Pirate night was a blast! Always had lots of fun by the pools.

Dining in the main dining rooms was ok, food could have been better, but I am a chef so I am a little critical. Our table mates were great, think we made some new friend there. We bought the 7 night classic wine package, which I though was a good buy. Dining at Palo was great, service was outstanding, food delicious. We had both dinner and brunch here which are not to be missed.

My wife and I had great treatments at the spa. We also got the best hair cuts ever! Can't wait to go back here again!

As for photos...I see a lot of debate on here about shutter. We didn't go for it, I know some say it is a good deal because you are getting photos by pros, I would say not as the person who kept trying to take our photos at dinner kept having trouble working his camera. If you want photos at dinner, just take turns with your table mates, at Palo you can ask your server. If you really want photos of the whole family with characters there is always a CM nearby. The shutters packages are a little steep in my opinion.

Only went on one prearranged excursion, we did some snorkeling. Loved exploring the ports and beaches on our own. Had a great lunch in Cabo on the beach.

We can't wait for our next cruise!

We can't wait to go on our next cruise!
morainechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by morainechef View Post
First Disney Cruise was a blast! Great service, good fun. What a great ship. We stayed at the Red Lion Anaheim for 3 nights prior to the cruise, was a nice hotel, great rate, super close to Disneyland. While there we used the ART buses to get to and from Disney which was super cheap. We had a great time at Disney, even saw some of the Christmas parade. As for getting to and from the port I used limos.com as our ground transportation, this worked out great as you can plug in all your trip info to their website and then you get companies bidding for your business. Certainly was nice to be picked up in a nice car.

Got to the port at 12:30 and were directed almost immediately on to the ship. We brought our own beer and wine on in our carry on with no worries at all. Had a nice lunch at Beach Blanket on the deck overlooking the port. I bought the beer stein for $14 which was good to have for filling up with draft at bar for $6 or putting my own beer in, plus I have a great souvenir.

We stayed in stateroom 2090 which was a free upgrade from an inside stateroom. Great room, midship close to elevators, laundry. Some noise outside port hole at night but we got used to this. Room service was great, my little girl loved all the free milk and cookies, bring cash for tips to room service people.

Entertainment was great! Good movies always in rooms and in theatre. My daughter loves the club and lab, she couldn't get enough of it. We didn't go to the shows, maybe next cruise. Pirate night was a blast! Always had lots of fun by the pools.

Dining in the main dining rooms was ok, food could have been better, but I am a chef so I am a little critical. Our table mates were great, think we made some new friend there. We bought the 7 night classic wine package, which I though was a good buy. Dining at Palo was great, service was outstanding, food delicious. We had both dinner and brunch here which are not to be missed.

My wife and I had great treatments at the spa. We also got the best hair cuts ever! Can't wait to go back here again!

As for photos...I see a lot of debate on here about shutter. We didn't go for it, I know some say it is a good deal because you are getting photos by pros, I would say not as the person who kept trying to take our photos at dinner kept having trouble working his camera. If you want photos at dinner, just take turns with your table mates, at Palo you can ask your server. If you really want photos of the whole family with characters there is always a CM nearby. The shutters packages are a little steep in my opinion.

Only went on one prearranged excursion, we did some snorkeling. Loved exploring the ports and beaches on our own. Had a great lunch in Cabo on the beach.

Glad your first cruise was so great. We had 2090 on the Oct Hawaii cruise and definately noticed the noise outside window. We sort of got use to it.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
kennedyparalegal
kennedyparalegal

We leave tomorrow and are in 2098 and 2100. What is the noise outside the window?
kennedyparalegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
morainechef
Earning My Ears

Noise was from the engines, a little knocking sort of noise. I believe has something to do with the stabilizers on the sides of the ship. It was intermittent, and we didn't really notice after the initial "what is that sound".
Old 11-17-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
kennedyparalegal
kennedyparalegal

Thanks. I guess we can learn to live with that.
kennedyparalegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
Started With a Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Kinda like the 'pros' at Picture People. Put any college kid behind a good SLR, and you have a shot.

Hey, do you happen to know what beers on tap there were? Sierra Nevada, possibly? Thanks !
Started With a Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #7
morainechef
Earning My Ears

Was tasty.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #8
morainechef
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Started With a Mouse

Kinda like the 'pros' at Picture People. Put any college kid behind a good SLR, and you have a shot.

Hey, do you happen to know what beers on tap there were? Sierra Nevada, possibly? Thanks !
I was drinking the Longboard on tap.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #9
huskydogg
Mouseketeer

We sailed recently on the Wonder and they have Stella on tap at Diversions, Shock Top at Wavebands and Signals, and many other domestics such as Bud, etc. Get the 14.00 mug for sure. It's a great deal. At the end of the day, take it to the bartender and ask for a "token". He'll take the mug and give you a card so you don't have to carry the mug around. Next day when you're ready for another, take in the token and they'll give you a full frosty beer in a fresh clean mug.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #10
kimwhitt93
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Is the beer mug glass or plastic?
Old 11-17-2012, 10:11 PM   #11
morainechef
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimwhitt93

Is the beer mug glass or plastic?
It glass, it's nice solid mug. Frosty in my freezer now.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #12
KitKat90731
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by morainechef

Thanks for the review! Very helpful and cut to the chase type of review. We leave next Sunday on her. Can't wait! 😃
KitKat90731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #13
DisLyd2008
Mouseketeer

What was the condition of the staterooms, the common areas, and the ship in general? We've been on the Dream our last 2 cruises and I'm wondering of the Wonder will look worn down in comparison? I'm trying to be realistic, but I also know Disney ships always do look top notch! Your thoughts?
DisLyd2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #14
dreamprfct
Earning My Ears

Yay!

we leave in two weeks--super excited-this is our first Disney cruise as well.
Any other tips, things you wish you would have known before going? We don't have our room assigments yet--
dreamprfct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #15
morainechef
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisLyd2008
What was the condition of the staterooms, the common areas, and the ship in general? We've been on the Dream our last 2 cruises and I'm wondering of the Wonder will look worn down in comparison? I'm trying to be realistic, but I also know Disney ships always do look top notch! Your thoughts?
The Wonder is in great shape. I think some of the food outlets on the pool deck could use an update, but I think this is just the chef in me.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: