Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 06:56 AM   #1
safetymom
Have will travel
ABD trips = clothes optional

Traditions at Thanksgiving

Do you have any family traditions at Thanksgiving? Ham or Turkey? Favorite dishes?

I would love to hear what everyone does for Thanksgiving.
safetymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:31 AM   #2
Dismom+two
Dh and I always refer to it as "The Almighty Boards"
Wanted: Warm fuzzy feelings
I am still walking...haven't dropped yet
Almost left the bookstore without her lapdance

We always have turkey but my personal tradition is that I have to have cranberry bread with cream cheese for breakfast.
Dismom+two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:20 AM   #3
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Early morning run in Central Park. The West Drive is behind the Macy's parade, so you get to see all the balloons without the crowds.

Then, Thanksgiving dinner with either my family or my in-laws, depending on what year it is.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge resort not yet decided!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
ImTooExcitedToSleep
Disneyland Correspondent for The DIS UnpluggedI'll try to pop in later
Doh! Yeah, that one

This year the stars have lined up and we're spending Thanksgiving at Disneyland!

Hmmm.....Plaza Inn fried chicken instead of turkey???
ImTooExcitedToSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
jcarter29
DIS Veteran

Turkey...no other meats. I know some families do a ham or additional meats but we never did growing up so I never even realized that might be an option Honestly, as long as I have mashed potatoes and pie, I am good to go!

Hope you are planning a great celebration, Kathy.

Kim
jcarter29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:54 AM   #6
wdwscout

DIS Veteran

We do the traditional turkey, but also have ham for my son who doesn't like turkey!
64 varities of starches as side dishes it seems. mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, stuffing, bread, etc., etc. And at least one side that could pass as a real vegetable.
Whole and jellied cranberry sauce.
And pie!!!

We are hosting again this year. My parents, my sister, my son and his girlfriend, and my aunt and uncle whose home is still a wreck from Sandy. John's family is all in Ohio or western PA, so we don't usually see them at Thanksgiving.

Oh... And football! I almost forgot - football will be on all day.
My husband hates football, so this is generally not his favorite holiday. He is waiting for the day we can spend Thanksgiving on a Disney cruise ship!

Join us for the NJ DIS Meet Weekend- click here for more details
wdwscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

I can't stand ham. It tastes rubbery and salty to me. So, I am thankful that I married into a family that also does turkey for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. We just do the traditonal turkey dinner which is my favorite and I love the left overs!

Recently I got to try the Holiday sandwhich at the new Earl of Sandwhich that just opened in DTD at DLR. YUM! I have been trying to figure out how I can make one that good myself, but don't think I'll be able to get the bread to have the right amount of crunch.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #8
NC Belle
I NC Beast
This Belle only has a furbaby

We usually spend Thanksgiving with just the two of us (since our move to NC) and watch the Macy's parade to be followed by watching the B&W version of Miracle on 34th Street.

Our typical meal: Turkey, cornbread dressing with sausage/onion, gravy, potatoes/carrots/onions, and cranberry sauce. Mrs. Smith does the pie since I get to busy to do homemade.

I have been making my own cranberry sauce for the past 4 or so years---last year...i used red wine in it.

NC Beast plans to hickory smoke the turkey today since he has to work thursday and friday (we welcome the holiday pay). I did ask him if he wanted today to be Thanksgiving mealwise, however he wants it on thursday. So, we will be eating our Thanksgiving for brunch or very late at night (new shift time).

I'll be listening to podcasts, gaming, and watching some football (or maybe Netflix movies).
NC Belle ºoº 10/2013 Pop, 8/2011 CSR, 1/2011 CSR, 12/10 CR, 10/10 CSR/Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 10/09 AKL-Jambo House/SSR/Sports, 10/08 Sheraton Vistana/CSR, 8/08 Csr+CR, 11/07 ASMU, 9/06 Pop,10/05 POP/BWV,2/05 AKL, 5/04 CSR,1996-offsite/honeymoonº0º
NC Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #9
wdwscout

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Belle View Post
watching the B&W version of Miracle on 34th Street.
I forgot- once everyone leaves for the day -usually around 7-8pm (we eat early)- DH & I sit down to watch It's a Wonderful Life. For us, that starts the Holiday Season!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Belle View Post
I have been making my own cranberry sauce for the past 4 or so years---last year...i used red wine in it.
I have always made my own cranberry sauce- but adding the red wine sounds yummy!! I think I'll try that this year!

Join us for the NJ DIS Meet Weekend- click here for more details
wdwscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #10
MomofKatie
Maybe if you leave some chocolate under your pillow the Tag Fairy will visit you!
In the second grade I looked like a mini senior citizen!
"Dairy World?" "Fairy World." "OH, DARN IT!!!"

We live too far from any of our families to visit them (DH works in retail, so he is obligated to work Black Friday weekend), and nobody comes to us because each family is "complete" except for us where they live. Since it is just the 3 of us, we don't do a huge meal.

DD won't eat turkey (moral reasons) so we usually do something completely non-traditional. We have done a Mediterranean themed meal, lasagna, and Thai, among others. I do make sure to make everything from scratch for the day, though. Wouldn't seem Thanksgiving-y if we ate out or made stuff from a mix.

This year, DH is going to use his new smoker to make a turkey breast. I plan to use an injection and dry rub on it, and he will smoke it with hickory wood. We will also smoke a chicken breast for DD. Sides will be more traditional than usual- roasted potatoes and butternut squash, sauteed green beans, homemade cranberry relish, and pumpkin or apple cranberry pie.
MomofKatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #11
stmize
DVC member--Nov 2010--WDW mom of ds 16 & dd 13

Disney world. And we eat wherever our ADR is. This yr is wcc at wl

stmize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #12
mdvlprof
DIS Veteran

This year, thinking we might go out to eat. Just the two of us this year, and I just don't feel like going thru all the hassle to fix a big meal for just two of us.
What is an FE?
DCL info thread

MK [and EPCOT under construction] 3/82, WDW 7/99, WDW/DCL 7/02, Indy DIS 9/10, PCC DCL/WDW 12/10Indy DIS 9/11 PCC DCL/WDW 12/12DAP 12/13
Cruised: DCL, CCL, X, RCCL, NCL
mdvlprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #13
gojoe
DIS Veteran

All Day Event

Growing up we had an all day event for Thanksgiving.

First Course: Appetizers; Mini Hot Dogs, Stuffed Mushrooms, Fried Artichoke Hearts seems like someone would try something new every year. If it was a hit they would do it again the next year

Second Course: Italian Antipasto; Italian Ham, Salami, Olives, pepperoni, cheese, pickled peppers, marinated mushroom with Italian bread

Third Course: Italian Wedding Soup sprinkled with parmigiano cheese

Fourth Course: Macaroni; Lasagna or Stuffed Shells or Manicotti with meatballs. With Italian Bread

Fifth Course: Turkey, gravy, Stuffing, Mashed, Sweet, Roasted Potatoes, peas, corn, with Italian Bread.

Sixth Course: Deserts; pumpkin, ricotta and apple pies, cheese cakes, assorted Italian cookies, wandies, rum balls, snow balls

Seventh Course: Mixed nuts and chestnuts.

We started around 1 and finished around 9. We would have a course take a break (watch some football, kids would play games). You had time to digest before the next course. There were also nap time, too. We would also have a coloring contest. We had to stop that. Some people got very mad when they lost.

They are some of my fondest memories. We're having Thanksgiving with my Daughter and her family in Orlando this year. She called me the other day to tell me she wants to do it like we use to do. I'm glad to see the tradition will continue.

Almost forgot high school football, crosstown rivals.

Last edited by gojoe; 11-18-2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Adding
gojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #14
gojoe
DIS Veteran

My Disney Thanksgiving

The first year my daughter moved to Orlando we had our traditional Thanksgiving a day early. My daughter, my niece and their friends all worked at Disney World and had to work on Thanksgiving. My wife and I spent Thanksgiving at Disney World. I remember having the Thanksgiving Pizza special at Pizza-Fari. Turkey, cranberry sauce and cheese. It wasn't half bad.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #15
ShesAPirate
DIS Veteran

Our tradition starts the night before, when we have a big reunion dinner with our friends. This has been going on for years.

On Thanksgiving, we'll watch the parade while we have our coffee and a light breakfast.

Next, it's off to our first stop (boyfriend's aunt's sister's house), where we'll have appetizers and champagne.

Then, we'll be going to my boyfriend's aunt & uncle's house. The champagne and appetizers will continue for a few hours, along with music (usually Sinatra and the like). I'll be making stuffed mushrooms this year. The usual fare includes antipasto, arancini, fresh veggies, etc.

We'll start dinner with a pasta course. This is usually manicotti or stuffed shells. And then finally, we'll get to the actual dinner Turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, corn, cranberry sauce -- all the traditional food. This will be followed by pumpkin, apple, chocolate pudding, and lemon meringue pies, and probably homemade cheesecake and/or Italian pastries, too.

Thanksgiving is an all day event. Like, 12 to 16 hours, usually. It has to be, to accommodate all the food we need to eat

ShesAPirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: