Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #16
Wiloughby1
Challenge Accepted

First- wow! You are super cheap! I pay $150 with no photos, then pay per print for my the 2 photogs I use for my kids (one does well with my son, with a more industrial look, the other does better with my daughter in bright colors, so I alternate for birthday sessions)

Second- I would LOVE this option. We took one of our photogs to the B&O Railroad Museum and the other to a pumpkin farm. It was great to just live and have them take all the pictures. At Disney? Imagine the possibilities.

Third: this is NOT is direct competition with a currently offered service. You can't get a photopass photog to follow you around on your schedule. They won't even stay to take an extra shot if they are moving on to another location.

There are plenty of service providers doing commercial services within the park. Nannies, nursing aids, and people on trips who then sell their images on their personal DSLRs. Will Disney notice if you are specifically soliciting to take pictures there? PROBABLY. If you are full service to families in their homes, parks and other locations- not as likely. I wouldn't wear a uniform or advertise in the parks. I don't know the legalities of it all, but you're not grabbing people off Main Street and lining them up with the castle.

-Just saying...
First Trip Big Red Boat/ Caribbean Beach 1989-Caribbean Beach 1990- Caribbean Beach 1992- Disney Institute 1995- Off site 1999-All-Star Movies (First Grown-Up trip) 2000-With my own little boy Off site 2009- POFQ/Off site 2011-Disneyland Portofino June 2012- Offsite/POR Sept/Oct 2012- Disney Dream/FW Oct 2014
Wiloughby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:31 PM   #17
krb2g
DIS Veteran

My understanding of Disney's policies is that they permit outside professional photography at the resorts and Downtown Disney but not in the parks themselves (in the parks you can have photopass photographers or Disney has a professional photography service that you can hire as well). Now, some photographers seem to be willing to ignore Disney's rules and book sessions in the park, but I know that I would not be willing to hire a non-Disney photographer in Disney parks because I respect their rules. I also probably wouldn't hire a photographer to take pictures at Disney anyway because I have been happy with the results we've gotten through Photopass (which is also $100 for the CD and print release, if you take advantage of the pre-visit, pre-purchase offer) and my own efforts (I've got a bit of a photography bug). If I really wanted the opportunity to do photography in Disney and didn't want to be limited by the photopass system, I would apply for a job with their professional photography branch.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2011, 05:02 PM   #18
ariel5884
Mouseketeer

job

I think that it's a great idea. I have heard so many people say that there are not enough photopass people in the parks. Second off I would not have to wait on line and then have a line of people staring at me while I got my pic taken. Third off the photopass people are only at assigned spots. There are so many other places that would make great pics. Not sure how they would catch you, how do they know that you are not taking pics of family or friends.
If you ask me Disney would be smart to start up this kind of service to guests wanting more than the normal photopass experience. I can't tell you how many times I wish someone was with us to take pics so that we could both be in the pic. I wouldn't mind hiring you for the halloween party at disney that we are going to on oct 27. I like to take pics with people dresssed up in awesome costumes. My whole family is going, which will probably never happen again, it is usually only the 2 of us.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:12 PM   #19
Brit_Jude
DIS Veteran

Check out...

Check out the Disboards Weddings and Honeymoons forum for more information.

We had a Disney wedding and only Disney photographers can be used in the parks for weddings, portraits etc but outside photographers can be used in the resorts. We had an outside photographer for our wedding at the Wedding Pavillion and reception at the Grand Floridian, but had to use Disney Photography for the dessert party in Epcot.

There are quite a few non-Disney photographers who are already established and provide family portraits, engagement sessions and wedding photography etc. at Disney locations. Check out Randy Chapman, Misty Miotto, David and Vicky Arndt and Root Photography to name a few.

Last edited by Brit_Jude; 09-25-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Brit_Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:14 PM   #20
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiloughby1 View Post
Third: this is NOT is direct competition with a currently offered service. You can't get a photopass photog to follow you around on your schedule. They won't even stay to take an extra shot if they are moving on to another location.
Yes, they do offer this service. It isn't cheap, but it's available, although not through photopass.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:00 PM   #21
katrina1122
Just another Blonde moment in my life. Yay me.

Go to the wedding board, there are all kinds of threads about outside photogs not being allowed in the parks, just the resorts and dtd.
katrina1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #22
dunbarfamily
I'm a proud homebirthing crunchy mama who loves Walt Disney World!

I'm not rich, nor do I live close to WDW, but I would LOVE something like this!! I'd love to pay someone to just follow us around for an hour and take pics of EVERYTHING, in a journalistic style. The memories you'd capture would be amazing!!! I can just see ad-worthy Dumbo pictures!! A child eating a Mickey bar.....oh man! What a great idea!! Best wishes to you!! If you end up doing this, I'll be your very first client!!!

I don't know how Disney could object. As you said, anyone can bring a camera in and take pictures. Its not like they'd come up and tap you on the shoulder, asking if you are getting paid for it! And even if they did, it would be a private arrangement between you and your client. But, I'm not a lawyer, so I have no idea the legalities involved.

Our next trip: Adults only Disney Wonder 11-14-14
Past trips:4-14 Pop Century/1-13 Pop Century/1-12 BLT/10-11 AK/2-11 BLT & DCL/2-10 DCL & VWL/10-09 AS Movies/5-09 AS Movies/12-08 OKW/5-08 AS Sports/1-08 DCL& Villas at WL/9-07 AS Movies/12-06 AS Music/11-05 Offsite
And too many trips to count with grandma & papa when I was little

DVC members since June '07 at Animal Kingdom & Founding Members at Bay Lake

dunbarfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:21 PM   #23
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

From a pure legal standpoint Disney is private property. Any property owner may prohibit outside commercial activity on their property, that is a basic fact of law. If Disney will not allow commercial photographers into the Parks (on an assignment) without permission that is their choice. Anyone violating this may be asked to leave, and once warned, subject to arrest for trespassing on a subsequent occurrence.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! Currently at Everything Pop Merchandise after nine years in Guest Services/Ticket Sales.

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #24
steph-in-ky
Lifestyle photographer

Thanks to everyone for all your opinions, they are all appreciated
steph-in-ky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:19 AM   #25
kha100399
Mouseketeer

what did you decide? looking for someone to do photos at the resorts, not in the parks

thanks!
kha100399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #26
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes they do (though it's not Photopass). Disney has their own fine art section that does portraits. They will shoot just about anything...weddings, seniors, families, children, etc. Most of the photographers are contracted though they have a handful workin directly for them.

Unless a photographer is contracted or a Disney employee, you can not hire them to shoot in the parks for you. They can get in big trouble with that and any respectable photographer would not risk it. Not to mention, I wouldn't want to be the one tangling with Disney's rules. You can hire any photographer you want at the resorts.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #27
Millie12591
DIS Veteran

There are professional photographers who go into the parks all the time to take pictures. I don't see why you couldn't do it.

Un-Tangled....How I Got My Life Back-PTR, You Just Lost 80 Pounds-TR
DisneyLand 1989-twice-Nov.1995, Nov.1998, Nov.2001
DisneyWorld-May'07-Stayed @ POP, July'08-Off Property, May'10-Stayed @ CSR, May '13- Stayed @ POP,AofA,CSR & POR-All in one trip!
Millie12591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:04 PM   #28
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie12591 View Post
There are professional photographers who go into the parks all the time to take pictures. I don't see why you couldn't do it.
Because they don't allow it and they have that right. Only at the resorts (I'm surprised they even allow that). A photographer could get sued and/or banned for that and I wouldn't want to tangle with Disney. They tend to take their brandings and copyrights pretty seriously.

Professional photographers who go into the parks are not taking in clients and charging money. You can shoot for personal use.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #29
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

I think if you stay out of the parks and stick to resorts and DTD you would be fine. You could try in the parks, but if you love Disney, is it worth the risk of a lifetime ban? I've heard the Podcasters say they get questioned if their equipment makes them look like they are running a professional operation, so Disney does notice.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: