Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
Daisy'sMama
Mouseketeer

Fish Extender gifts question

Ok, I am just trying to figure out how this works. We are sailing in Feb with a smaller FE group. However, one of our families has 11 people and one has 16. Does that mean I need to make/bring 27 gifts, but my daughter will only get two? Is it per person or per family or per stateroom? How do I broach this with our group without sounding selfish? I just want it to balanced.
thanks
Stephanie
Daisy'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
Hunclemarco
DIS Veteran

Not sure if you have to mention anything at all. If all you can do is one gift per family group, that should be fine. If you can and want to create individual gifts...that would be fine too. If you fear your child not receiving much, you can also pack a few gifts and throw them in throughout the trip. This should be a fun activity...no need to complicate matters

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

January 1979 Offsite; January 1992 POR; March 1999Honeymoon ; May 2002 CBR; May 2008 Offsite; November 2008 CBR March 2009 DVC SSR, BCV; August 2009 DVC AKV,BCV; December 2009 DVC SSR; February 2010 DVC BCV; November 2010 DVC BWV; May 2011 POP; March 2012 DCL Dream and POP; May 2012 POP; April 2013 DVC BCV; November 2013 CSR; Yacht Club, DCL Dream and BWV May 2014
Hunclemarco is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-18-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
Laundress
Mouseketeer

Has your group set up a cut off time for signing up for FE? I found that the last few weeks our group trippled in size. we had to have a before and after cut off group. We ended up with so much cool stuff that I had to buy a duffle bag from the gift shop to get it home.
To get back to your guestion. you can do the gifts any way you want, per person,room,family,grown ups,children. some people do one gift per day some one for the whole trip. It really is up to you. you can also choose to put your name or not. The whole thing is a surprise. But there is still plenty of time for the group to grow and for things to even out. Enjoy
Laundress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

I will apologize ahead of time, but I don't get those two "families". To me, if you have say a family of 5 or 6 spread out over two staterooms, that is one thing. Extended family beyond that in a number of staterooms? Seems to me they need to be broken up as that...mom/dad/kids for each set of families within the family. Again, not to be harsh, but that just is my take on it. I will say in all the exchanges I have participated in, when parents are traveling with their kids and grandkids, they have always been a separate family so to speak. Just my opinion.

As others have said, the way you handle it is up to you.

iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
AnotherPrincess
DIS Veteran

We are traveling with extended family and we have 2 rooms total. The way we look at it is each room is a family. Therefore each room will have an extender and each room will give gifts. I think the rule of thumb should be that if an extender is put out, expecting to be receiving, then gifts should come from that room too. However, this isn't always what happens. Unless your extender group specifically addresses this, it will be up to each family/room to decide what to do.
AnotherPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
JustTJ
Luv Dising

The issue I ran into last year for our FE, was that some didn't pay attention to our situation. I was travelling with a Girlfriend and my youngest son. It started out as a "Mommy and Me" trip for myself and my youngest, but then I invited my friend along. We both signed up for the FE, She made her own FE gifts and I made my own to give out. We did, as far as I'm concerned, make it clear we were TWO separage families in one stateroom, giving out two separate gifts. Some people who gave to us, gave one gift per stateroom. It should have been one gift per family. So some items, we had to decide who would take it home, and the other would be without. And some of those gifts were very nice gifts. Don't know what else we could have done in that situation?
2011 Disney Dream "Mommy & Tim" B2B Cruise
2013 Disney Fantasy "Escape From Winter" Cruise

2014 RCI Oasis "Birthday Cruise"
2014 Disney Fantasy "Halloween" Cruise
JustTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
Hunclemarco
DIS Veteran

We had about 30 in our FE group....and then a few extras that joined in the last minute. We purchased/made items for each individual, then one item for each family group. We made extras for those that joined in some instances...last second

The person that set up our FE had us put each individual on the list, and we were able to determine the family groups. Also noted were special occasions, and ages of the kids. This way we were able to do as we could. Unfortunately you'll never know if you'll get items from a family group or from each individual within the family group. There may be no way to determine a "balance". Again, it's suppose to be a fun event. Do what you're able and want to do, and enjoy it in the fact that you're giving some cheer to others on the cruise... then anything you receive with be that much more joyful

We purchased disney candies, disney flashlights for the kids, and made personalized disney magnets with the help of the disigns thread for everyone. Then the second day we sent everyone glow sticks and pirate garb. We then made tote bags...one for each family group so if they chose, they could use it for Castaway Key day. We were on a 3 day Bahamian cruise.

January 1979 Offsite; January 1992 POR; March 1999Honeymoon ; May 2002 CBR; May 2008 Offsite; November 2008 CBR March 2009 DVC SSR, BCV; August 2009 DVC AKV,BCV; December 2009 DVC SSR; February 2010 DVC BCV; November 2010 DVC BWV; May 2011 POP; March 2012 DCL Dream and POP; May 2012 POP; April 2013 DVC BCV; November 2013 CSR; Yacht Club, DCL Dream and BWV May 2014

Last edited by Hunclemarco; 11-18-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #8
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Are the 11 people and 16 people considering themselves one group each? They should be doing it by family unit or stateroom. How are they listed on the sign up sheet?
Old 11-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #9
DobieLover
Earning My Ears

I'm very new to this... with the FE, there's no "secret Santa" type assignment /matching by the organizer? Just everyone gives to everyone? I have lots of cute little stuff for kids... would it be appropriate to just give to the cabins with kids for however many kids are in each cabin?
DobieLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #10
Hunclemarco
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DobieLover View Post
I'm very new to this... with the FE, there's no "secret Santa" type assignment /matching by the organizer? Just everyone gives to everyone? I have lots of cute little stuff for kids... would it be appropriate to just give to the cabins with kids for however many kids are in each cabin?
I've only participated in one FE, and with ours, there were no "matchups". We just made for all on the list. We gave to adults and to kids.
We have no children, but received candies, pirate garb, some have made paintings, or brought something significant to their city or place of origin. It may be a little more challenging to create gift ideas for adults, that's why we made the totes....however there are so many threads here with very inventive ideas that were used as excellent gifts for everyone

Old 11-18-2012, 01:27 PM   #11
Hunclemarco
DIS Veteran

For FE ideas, go to these threads.... i'll add to this as i can, so check back often

Home Craft Ideas .....some of these are really neat and awesome
Found a thread on FE Etiquette

Last edited by Hunclemarco; 11-18-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:23 PM   #12
nikicares
Creating Memories of a Lifetime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy'sMama View Post
Ok, I am just trying to figure out how this works. We are sailing in Feb with a smaller FE group. However, one of our families has 11 people and one has 16. Does that mean I need to make/bring 27 gifts, but my daughter will only get two? Is it per person or per family or per stateroom? How do I broach this with our group without sounding selfish? I just want it to balanced.
thanks
Stephanie
I have "hosted" the FE group for 2 of our cruises, and both was set up for each family to do as they wish (gift per person, gift per cabin, gift per day) whichever works best for that person. Many people enjoy doing personalized per person gifts ( I am not that talented or crafty) so I always just made a per cabin gift with a few little goodies in it and then the family could decide who gets/wants what.

I did notice on the newer ships with the ships being larger I would NOT have wanted to hand out gifts per day - it was a lot of walking deck to deck, cabin to cabin.

Just know that being apart of a FE is about giving and receiving fun little surprises through out your cruise - this is just a fun "addition" to your cruise. Expect nothing and get lots of fun and laughter (and goodies) out of your experience!

2000- Grand Floridian
2001- Polynesian
2002- Grand Floridian
2004 - Disney Wonder
2005 - Disney Wonder
2008 - Disney Magic
1/2011 - Disney Dream Maiden Voyage
9/2011 - Disney Dream
4/2012 - Disney Fantasy
8/2012 - Grand Floridian
9/2012 - Disney Dream
9/2013 - Disney Dream
nikicares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #13
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DobieLover View Post
As someone without kids who signs up for FE, I do not think it is appropriate to sign up and then only give to the cabins with children. On my last cruise we had 12 cabins and 3 were adults only. the idea is to give a gift to every cabin. You do not have to do a gift for every person individually.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #14
tink576
Think of the Happiest Things, Fairies, Princesses and Kings!

In regards to the kids gift question. You should still do a gift for the staterooms with adults only....like what we do is give kid specific things or half adult half kid gift to the rooms with kids then an an all adult gift for rooms with only adults

tink576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #15
caribear
I love WDW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy'sMama View Post
thanks
Stephanie
I have been involved in a couple of FE's.....and it is usually divided by staterooms. If the family with 11 people has 3 staterooms....then that is 3 different FE holders hanging from 3 cabin doors....thus 3 different FE gifts. Each stateroom should make a gift to give out....for this purpose it would be easier to make 1 gift per stateroom to give out to the other participants. Now if this family of 11 is only going to have 1 FE holder hanging from 1 cabin......then you can do 1 FE gift to hand out. It's not based really on how many people are in your family.....it's based more on the number of cabins. If someone chooses to make a gift for each person in the cabin....VS one larger gift per cabin....then that is up to them. Just have fun with it....and if it seems too overwhelming....then just bring some of your own little gifts to put in your DD's FE each day.
Disney Magic 2/6/10 - Western Caribbean 8 night adventure!, Disney Wonder - Bahamas 5/06, Caribbean Princess- Eastern Caribbean 12/05, Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean 12/01, Sovereign of the Seas - Pre-Honeymoon cruise 03/01, Carnival Sensation- Western Caribbean 9/98
caribear is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: