Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #16
coliebird
I HAVE to sleep with socks on!
There must be other people that do this also.
something about tuna from a deli skeeves me

What do you think about it for a 10 year old? My daughter loves history, it's her favorite subject and Lincoln is her favorite president. She has been asking me to take her to see it.
coliebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #17
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coliebird View Post
What do you think about it for a 10 year old? My daughter loves history, it's her favorite subject and Lincoln is her favorite president. She has been asking me to take her to see it.
http://www.kids-in-mind.com/l/lincoln.htm

It is rated PG-13.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #18
coliebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
Thank you for th link. I know it is PG-13. She has seen a couple of PG-13 movies such as The Avengers. I just wondered if anyone else has taken their younger (10 or 11) kids to see it.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:47 PM   #19
720L
DIS Veteran

We brought our 11 & 13 year old to it. Quite a bit of bad language (my DD said it was the first time she heard someone say **** in a movie). It was a great movie, I don't think the language stood out too much to the kids because it was such a great story. I might not have brought them had I known they would say that word so much.
(1988&1992ffsite) (1995:Dixie Landings) (1998: ASM) (2001:Disneyland) (2002:ASM) (2003 & 2004:Disneyland) (2005: POP) (2006: AKL & POP) (2007:POP,BC,CR) (2008: POP,AKL,CSR,ASMU,AKL) (2009: CSR ,POP,POLY,GF) (2010: DISNEYLAND DLH in June/ POP & BC in July/ POFQ for Thanksgiving) (April 1-8, 2011 AKL)(June 2011 POFQ)(October 13-16, 2011 Boardwalk) (June 2012 Disneyland/Carsland opening day!) (July 22, 2012-August 3, 2012 Disneyworld CSR & BC)(Christmas 2012 AOA)(:Spring Break April 2013 POP) (June 2013 AKL)(Thanksgiving 2013 Nov. 21-24 POP)(AKL!! June 2014)
720L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #20
coliebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720L View Post
We brought our 11 & 13 year old to it. Quite a bit of bad language (my DD said it was the first time she heard someone say the F word in a movie). It was a great movie, I don't think the language stood out too much to the kids because it was such a great story. I might not have brought them had I known they would say that word so much.
Thank you. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to take her to see it. I'll have a discussion with her about the language before we go.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #21
Pooh Girl 71
Good looking, half naked men and choreagraphed violence....what's not to love?
Biting back is the only thing that I have ever seen work
the presidents must all be facing forward

We went to see it Friday night. It was really good. There will be plenty of Oscar nominations I am sure.

A lot of the movie was filmed here in Richmond so it was really cool to see a lot of those parts too.
Pooh Girl 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #22
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

DH and I plan to see it this week also. I understand what you mean about not putting money into Bill O'Reilly's pocket, which is why I'm going to check the book out of the library.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #23
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

hope this isn't too much of a spoiler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coliebird View Post
Thank you. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to take her to see it. I'll have a discussion with her about the language before we go.
I think the first scene while not in any way gruesome is the only real battle scene in the movie. what made it so engrossing is that it's "hand to hand" battle, so you do see some very intense fighting but very very little blood. definitely no guts popping out that type of thing.

I actually thought the language wasn't too bad. the places where there were curses were mainly very emotional scenes, of course there are a instances of ******.

some pictures of slave brutality but if she's had any type of american history she may have seen them before.

for example.

you see one of the characters looking at this picture. scroll down the linked page.

http://www.nps.gov/liho/historyculture/slavery.htm

which is a very well used picture.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #24
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofinoff View Post
I heard Sally Field say that this was a role of a lifetime for her. She pretty much stalked Steven Spielburg! I guess he didn't want to cast her originally. I adore her!
She was GREAT in this movie! I've always been a fan of SF, but she really brought it this time.

I really really liked this movie. I love a good, deep, cerebral film. No CGI, no fancy stunts. Don't take your eye and ears off the screen, or you'll miss something important. Daniel Day-Lewis is outstanding, as is Tommy Lee Jones. Excellent, excellent film
Old 11-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #25
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720L View Post
We brought our 11 & 13 year old to it. Quite a bit of bad language (my DD said it was the first time she heard someone say **** in a movie). It was a great movie, I don't think the language stood out too much to the kids because it was such a great story. I might not have brought them had I known they would say that word so much.
I hate to say it, but your kids probably hear "that word" every day at school. The relatively small amount of cursing that goes on in this movie was authentic, IMO. It was war-time, after all. I imagine that there was a LOT more of it in real life.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #26
I loveStitchnippyjon
DIS Veteran

OK, so I have only seen the trailers for this movie. I really thought I would love to see it but (and I guess I'm just weird or something) my mental image of Lincoln has always been someone with a deep, James-Earl-Jones voice. This actor has such a high-pitched girly voice that I am afraid it would ruin it for me!
I loveStitchnippyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #27
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by I loveStitchnippyjon
OK, so I have only seen the trailers for this movie. I really thought I would love to see it but (and I guess I'm just weird or something) my mental image of Lincoln has always been someone with a deep, James-Earl-Jones voice. This actor has such a high-pitched girly voice that I am afraid it would ruin it for me!
I heard (and I am by no stretch of the imagination an expert) that, this version is more authentic.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #28
Art 1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by I loveStitchnippyjon View Post
Historians say that Lincoln had a high pitched voice, so did General Patton.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #29
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I loveStitchnippyjon View Post
According to history, Lincoln did have a high-pitched voice.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:53 PM   #30
keypooh90
Lovatic

I want to see this so bad! As does my whole family. We are all huge history nerds!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: