Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 05:07 AM   #1
steveyjc81
Mouseketeer

Disney Transportation to MCO from PC

Hi All,

I cannot find any clear information on this. Using Disney transportation, what time do their buses get you into MCO? I was planning on taking a flight at approximately 1pm, but was unsure if this was enough time?

Do the buses all leave at a set time? On what basis do they schedule your bus?

Does anyone recommend the system where they take your bags and check them in for your flight? We'll probably be travelling with 3 cases, one containing a wedding dress (getting married in orlando before cruise, not on cruise), so would be slightly concerned about them getting lost along the way

Thanks in advance for all your help,
Steve
steveyjc81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:37 AM   #2
Stitch'sCousin
DIS Veteran

A 1pm flight is fine.

From http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/pl...ian-caribbean/

Earliest Flight Departure from the Orlando International Airport on Debarkation Day — 11:30 a.m.

The buses are not scheduled. As they fill up with passengers getting off the ship, they head out to MCO. We were sitting in MCO around 10:30 am both times we used DCL transportation. We used the onboard checkin with our bags and had no problems.
Stitch'sCousin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-18-2012, 07:01 AM   #3
2CME911
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyjc81 View Post
Hi All,

I cannot find any clear information on this. Using Disney transportation, what time do their buses get you into MCO? I was planning on taking a flight at approximately 1pm, but was unsure if this was enough time?

Do the buses all leave at a set time? On what basis do they schedule your bus?

Does anyone recommend the system where they take your bags and check them in for your flight? We'll probably be travelling with 3 cases, one containing a wedding dress (getting married in orlando before cruise, not on cruise), so would be slightly concerned about them getting lost along the way

Thanks in advance for all your help,
Steve
Yup, you'll be fine taking any DCL bus from PC to MCO for a 1pm flight. Buses depart PC when they are full, so your actual port departure time is a function of when you get off the ship and how fast you clear customs. You will be directed right onto the next bus, and it will not be long before it fills and leaves...maybe 10 minutes at most? So say you walk off at 8am, clear customs 8:15am, on bus 8:20 and leaving 8:30, should be arriving MCO around 9:25ish.

For the wedding dress, unless your wife plans to wear it on the cruise, personally I'd ship it home before you leave on the cruise.

On board check-in is available for most airlines, but not Southwest. I think most people do it that way, we have and it works fine. You have to give up your bags on the evening before debarkation, so just be aware of that.

Good luck and Congratulations!
Old 11-18-2012, 09:01 AM   #4
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

If you are on a participating airline and do the onboard check in, DCL gives you the luggage tag numbers that you can use to track your luggage on your smart phone. We were on Delta the last time and I tracked our luggage using the Delta app as we went from MCO-ATL-SDF.

If you have a smart phone I highly recommend downloading the app for your airline. We found it helpful when we had a delayed flight in Louisville which resulted in a gate change in Atlanta. The app was always up-to-date and it was easier to pull out my phone then to pull out our boarding passes.

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

So, does anyone know how *late* the last bus usually goes? I'm a sleep-in kind of person, and my flight is not until 3:45 pm. Any idea how long I could procrastinate getting on the bus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyoconnor View Post
If you are on a participating airline and do the onboard check in, DCL gives you the luggage tag numbers that you can use to track your luggage on your smart phone. We were on Delta the last time and I tracked our luggage using the Delta app as we went from MCO-ATL-SDF.

If you have a smart phone I highly recommend downloading the app for your airline. We found it helpful when we had a delayed flight in Louisville which resulted in a gate change in Atlanta. The app was always up-to-date and it was easier to pull out my phone then to pull out our boarding passes.
Thank you! I had no idea the airlines had apps to track your luggage! That's extremely cool! Good information!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch'sCousin
A 1pm flight is fine.

From http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/pl...ian-caribbean/

Earliest Flight Departure from the Orlando International Airport on Debarkation Day — 11:30 a.m.

The buses are not scheduled. As they fill up with passengers getting off the ship, they head out to MCO. We were sitting in MCO around 10:30 am both times we used DCL transportation. We used the onboard checkin with our bags and had no problems.

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
OMD13
Mouseketeer

I thought I read that Southwest was part of the on board check in?????
OMD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #8
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMD13 View Post
Not as far as I know. SWA does now "participate" in Resort Airline Check-in at all WDW resorts, but not in the on-board check in with DCL.
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean; Summer 2014, WDW/WL

Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:56 AM   #9
steveyjc81
Mouseketeer

Thanks for everyone's help, I really appreciate it.

I will probably be flying with either American Airlines or Virgin America.

How much extra do DCL charge for this service?
Old 11-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyjc81 View Post
Thanks for everyone's help, I really appreciate it.

I will probably be flying with either American Airlines or Virgin America.

How much extra do DCL charge for this service?
There are some conditions that must be met to use this service. You MUST purchase at least one leg of transportation from DCL (which you are already doing), you must be on a participating airline (which American is), and your flight must leave after 11:25 am. There is no extra cost it is included in your DCL transfer.

Here is the program info from the DCL site.

Onboard Airline Check-In

Enjoy the comfort and convenience of Onboard Airline Check-In when you purchase air or ground transportation through Disney Cruise Line.

When you register for Onboard Airline Check-In, you are entitled to:

Receive your boarding passes and check your luggage for your return flight before you disembark the ship.
Skip luggage claim at the port terminal.
Bypass the airline check-in counter at the airport.
Here's how it works:

Reserve air or ground transportation through Disney Cruise Line and sign up for Onboard Airline Check-In when you check in for your cruise at the port.
On the day prior to disembarkation, your airline boarding passes and valet luggage tags will magically be delivered to your stateroom, along with a letter answering common questions you may have.
Attach the tags to your luggage and leave your bags outside your stateroom on the evening prior to disembarkation. Disney Cruise Line will collect and deliver your luggage to your airline.
When you arrive at Orlando International Airport, proceed to security with your boarding passes already in hand and continue on to your scheduled departure gate.
Available to Guests flying out of Orlando International Airport on domestic flights (including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands) on AirTran Airways, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Continental Airlines, Delta Air Lines, JetBlue Airways, United Airlines and US Airways.

Pre-registration is required and scheduled flights must be after 11:25 a.m.
On the day your cruise ends. Guests are limited to 2 bags per person and each piece must not exceed 50 lbs. Additionally, some Guests may be selected to check in at the airport and will be unable to use this service.

We recommend that you allow a minimum of 4 hours at the beginning and end of your cruise for travel time, customs/immigrations clearances and security checks at Port Canaveral and the airport. Additionally, on the day of your sailing, all Guests must board the ship no later than 3:45 p.m. Please plan your arrival accordingly to avoid the possibility of not being permitted to sail with us.

For more information, please call (800) 951-3532. Guests under age 18 must have parent or guardian permission to call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMD13 View Post
SW does NOT currently participate in the Onboard Airline Check in Program with DCL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
So, does anyone know how *late* the last bus usually goes? I'm a sleep-in kind of person, and my flight is not until 3:45 pm. Any idea how long I could procrastinate getting on the bus?

Thank you! I had no idea the airlines had apps to track your luggage! That's extremely cool! Good information!

Sayhello
Sorry, no procrastinating on the last morning or sleeping in. Everyone must be out of their staterooms by 8:00 am and they try to get everyone off the ship by 9:30 the latest.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!

Last edited by mmouse37; 11-19-2012 at 05:02 PM.
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #11
steveyjc81
Mouseketeer

WOW, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!! SO helpful

THANKS!
Old 11-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #12
Capt_BJ
So Many Times

How early do you want to board? Folks show up at the terminal at 9am hoping to board by 11 ... boarding often DOES begin as early as 11:30

SO

doesn't that suggest they are going to want you off well b4 that time? They are going to make PLENTY of loud all ship announcements suggesting you get off ASAP (by your group) once they get cleared, in my experience (in Port Canaveral) ... I DOUBT you'll sleep through them. Besides, your cabin stew' will come in 'accidentally' to clean the room . . .

What time is the last bus? Can't answer that one.

WDW more than I can count incl EPCOT opening
40+ cruises including
DCL x 7 incl inaugural years of Magic and Wonder
retired 29 yr USCG, 12 years at sea, 4 in Command
Capt_BJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #13
nic100308
DIS Veteran

Tell your future wife to look into the services provided by Carolyn Allen.

DF and I are also getting married at Disney and then going on a cruise. We live in Seattle so I will ship my dress to Carolyn Allen before I leave. They will steam it and deliver it to my resort the day of the wedding. The next day they will pick it up, clean and preserve it and send it home to Seattle. Totally worth it!! The idea of traveling with my wedding dress is a little stressful.
"My dearest friend, if you don't mind... I'd like to join you by your side. Where we can gaze into the stars... And sit together, now and forever. For it is plain, as anyone can see. We're simply meant to be." Jack and Sally

nic100308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #14
Summerl30
Mouseketeer

I was on the phone with DCL today asking about the time, because it says on the site 11:30, so I booked 11:30 flights, and I got a message that the flights are too early, so I called. When I mentioned we had the transfers and I booked flights there on southwest, they were quite eager to tell me that I cannot do the online booking (we are flying back using a different airline). So for sure, Southwest is not participating in the onboard checkin. (btw, they said not to worry, I should get there in plenty of time)
Summerl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #15
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_BJ View Post

How early do you want to board? Folks show up at the terminal at 9am hoping to board by 11 ... boarding often DOES begin as early as 11:30

SO

doesn't that suggest they are going to want you off well b4 that time? They are going to make PLENTY of loud all ship announcements suggesting you get off ASAP (by your group) once they get cleared, in my experience (in Port Canaveral) ... I DOUBT you'll sleep through them. Besides, your cabin stew' will come in 'accidentally' to clean the room . . .

What time is the last bus? Can't answer that one.
How early do I want to board? When will my cabin be ready? 2pm is fine for me! I'd much rather sleep in and take my time, have a leisurely breakfast and not deal with the crowds waiting to be the first onboard! I get that lots of people want to get as much time on the ship as possible, but I'm staying at a lovely hotel, I'd just as soon take my time there, and leisurely get ready, and get to the ship whenever. But that's just me. (Of course, that's never going to happen, because I signed up for the DIS transfers, but still...)

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: