Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 12:41 AM   #1
hardrocker1
Earning My Ears

Which resorts will accomodate 5 people on a budget?

My family of 4 plus my MIL wants to stay in our room, my SIL and her husband are going too and got a great deal at the Swan during a promotional thing, however, they did get 2 queen beds, with the plan for MIL to sleep in their room, but my MIL is not comfortable with this and wants to sleep in our room, but the Swan only sleeps 4. Our next thought was the Dolphin which is near the Swan, but we have to pay to park there. What other resorts sleep 5 that wouldn't break the bank?

Blessings, Michelle
2nd time: In 2005 with dh and ds #1
Upcoming trip: June 2013, with dh, ds #1 (16) and ds#2 (5) and MIL
hardrocker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:54 AM   #2
navyblue8
Mouseketeer

Our TA gave us a few scenarios and I think POR was the cheapest.
AoA 2012
ASM 2014
DL 2014
DD's 9th Bday surprise trip 9/25-27
navyblue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-18-2012, 12:58 AM   #3
baler31
DIS Veteran

Keep in mind that the Swan and Dolphin are sister resorts. The parking fee will apply at either as will the $14 a day resort fee that is in addition to the nightly rate. Another person will be allowed in your room for a $25 per night fee that would include a rollaway.

However, I don't think they would sleep 5 comfortably. If you only want to stay on Disney property you are limited to Port Orleans Riverside in the moderate category, where the rooms will be smaller than Swan/Dolphin and someone will sleep on a fold down bed or any deluxe resort other than the Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom as they only sleep 4. Port Orleans will be close in price to Swan/Dolphin or may be more expensive if you find a great deal on Swan/Dolphin.

If you are willing to venture one or two miles to Downtown Disney or Bonnet Creek you will save quite a bit. Other than that you could do two rooms at a value resort. I cannot comment on the values or moderates as we have only stayed at the Disney deluxes and off site.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:00 AM   #4
Maggie'sMom
DIS Veteran

The Swan and Dolphin are both run by Starwood. I'm not sure why you mention having to pay to park at the Dolphin but not at the Swan. There's a parking charge at both resorts and I was pretty sure both resorts had a maximum of 4 in a room. (ETA: I just found on their website that 5 can stay at the Dolphin but only 4 at the Swan.)

Port Orleans Riverside has rooms that will accommodate 5. They have a Murphy bed in addition to 2 queens. Another option would be 2 rooms at a value resort, a family suite at All Stars Music, or a family suite at the new Art of Animation resort. You could also look into the cabins at Fort Wilderness. They sleep 6.
Maggie'sMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:14 AM   #5
gratefulfred
Mouseketeer

wilderness cabins sleep 6 and have a bedroom and full kitchen
gratefulfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:37 AM   #6
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

You will also want to keep in mind that there are additional charges at most hotels for more than 2 adults in a room. The Disney resorts charge between $10-$25 per night, depending on what level the resort is. DVC resorts do not charge for additional adults.

Another thing that you might not know, S/D charge a resort fee that is not included in the nightly rate. The resort fee is $15/night per room and it's non-negotiable. I don't know why they just don't add it to the room price, but they don't. They may also charge a fee for more than 2 adults but if they do, I'm not sure of the amount. So, take those added charges into account when you're evaluating resorts.

Personally, I'd rent DVC points and get a 2-bedroom villa for both families. A dedicated 2-bedroom at AKV-Kidani will have 3 full bathrooms, 2 Q beds, 1 K bed, a pullout double sofa and a fold out sleeper chair for 1 person. You would also have a full kitchen and washer/dryer. The cost would be less than two rooms at the S/D and you would not have the resort fees or parking fees to contend with.

Marionnette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:45 AM   #7
rcraw45425
I'm a 43 year old mom with a scar on my navel!

Look into the program that Swan/dolphin has to add on a second room at a discount. It wasn't available for our pcoming New Years stay but I was able to book two rooms at Dolphin for under $200 a night each AAA when the values were right at that price.
offsite '71,'86,'95,'04,Swan'98,CR'98,GF'99,CR'01,CR'03,WL '04,Polynesian'04,YC'05,GF'05,POFQ'05,CR'05,YC'06, PBH'06,CR'07,AS Sports,YC CL1/08,GF11/08, HRH 07/09, WL CL 11/09, PBH 1/10, CR Tower Club 1 bedroom suite 5/10,Royal Pacific Resort Club 12/10, BWI,Disney Dream 4/11,CSR/Grand Floridian 12/11,CR tower 10/12, AKL 1/13, Polynesian 6/13,Polynesian 10/13, PBH CL 11/13, BC 3/14 (2 BR suite), Hard Rock Hotel for Diagon Alley Opening Day (7/14) upcoming BC 3/15

rcraw45425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:50 AM   #8
chemnerd09
Mouseketeer

I'd see if you can rent DVC points for a 2-bedroom villa. I've seen points for about $13 a point and you would have all the benefits of staying on property. However, DVC operates differently than a hotel, so there won't be daily housekeeping and other things. Just another idea to throw out there.

chemnerd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:52 AM   #9
AndyFL
This is my tag....one day I'll be all big and my color will change!

Location: Panhandle of FL just north of Panama City...basically the armpit of FL

OP, you didn't say what dates you are looking for but I would strongly suggest looking at what is being offered on Ebay. I noticed this morning that someone has a full week at OKW 2BR going for $750 and it has received NO bids. It's all a matter of timing and demand. You might consider Bonnet Creek as well, very big rooms...we've been pleased....there is a master br with a king and the second br has two queens and there are times that you can buy a week for under $300, you can't beat that.
AndyFL is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: