Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #736
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jel0511 View Post
When we were in Paris in 2010, I bought a new LV bag and wallet, carried it home in the LV bag as well, as I had to present it to officials in Barcelona to get the VAT back. I was given no problems at customs with anything......
It probably depends on which agent you get
My DH has been wearing the watch he inherited from his Dad for years and for the first time we had a customs agent question him about it on our last cruise. Guess that could happen anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenta View Post
...and the pottery can be shippped to the U.S. by the vendor. Plus the wine is pretty good too.....
Wine !!
You reminded me about a question I had about bringing wine on board.
One of the trip reports I read said they were able to buy wine in port and bring it to their cabin and take glasses of the wine to dinner. They said their server encouraged them to bring it to dinner saying he would never buy the DCL wine when it was so affordable in port.
I know this is technically against the rules...but, anyone else see or experience this?
Old 11-14-2012, 07:40 PM   #737
carpenta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsScooby View Post
It probably depends on which agent you get
My DH has been wearing the watch he inherited from his Dad for years and for the first time we had a customs agent question him about it on our last cruise. Guess that could happen anywhere.

Wine !!
You reminded me about a question I had about bringing wine on board.
One of the trip reports I read said they were able to buy wine in port and bring it to their cabin and take glasses of the wine to dinner. They said their server encouraged them to bring it to dinner saying he would never buy the DCL wine when it was so affordable in port.
I know this is technically against the rules...but, anyone else see or experience this?
In 2010 we brought wine back with us from every port as well as cheese and pasteries. We never had a problem. We brought a glass with us to dinner a couple times and the servers were fine. One night we brought a bottle and our server was really reluctant but had to charge us a corkage fee. He was apologetic but we always understood the fee and were fine with that. The wine was really cheap cost wise but was very enjoyable. One time in Sorrento we were buying some wine to bring back and the shop keeper helped us out and even tried to sell us a case of wine. We declined and then he handed us his business card and said "I'm on the web and will ship it where ever you want". It hit us funny where we were in a store that probably dated back hundreds of years and an older gentleman has embraced the 21st century technology. But do enjoy the wines and there is something special about having a nice glass of vino when you are pulling out of port.
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #738
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Port Adventures

It looks like DCL is adding some Port Adventuers - I was just checking and they didn't have their usual drop-down menu to choose the port, but when I clicked on the full listing and scrolle through, I came across this one:

The Best of Rome (Adult Only Departure)Civitavecchia, ItalySignature Collection, Sightseeing AdventuresJourney to the world renowned Vatican City and explore its many treasures including the Vatican Museums, the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica. You'll then return to Rome for a tour of the awe-inspiring Colosseum and the legendary Trevi Fountain. Truly the best of Rome! This tour features a smaller group size with maximum of 30 Guests per bus and guide. Lunch included. Learn more about this Port Adventure.

So check back soon - hopefully they're being added!

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #739
shoes99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
It looks like DCL is adding some Port Adventuers - I was just checking and they didn't have their usual drop-down menu to choose the port, but when I clicked on the full listing and scrolle through, I came across this one:

The Best of Rome (Adult Only Departure)Civitavecchia, ItalySignature Collection, Sightseeing AdventuresJourney to the world renowned Vatican City and explore its many treasures including the Vatican Museums, the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica. You'll then return to Rome for a tour of the awe-inspiring Colosseum and the legendary Trevi Fountain. Truly the best of Rome! This tour features a smaller group size with maximum of 30 Guests per bus and guide. Lunch included. Learn more about this Port Adventure.

So check back soon - hopefully they're being added!
I haven't looked online, but I have the reviews from Passporter and the last time Disney was in Rome the excursion prices for one adult and one child were (two years ago):
The Best of Rome $329.00/$289.00
Panoromic Rome $129.00/$109.00
Rome on Your Own $99.00/$59
Classic Rome $229.00/$189.00
Taste of Rome $100.00/$90.00
Highlights of Rome for Families $229/$189
Italian Countryside and Olive Oil $49/$49

shoes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #740
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

So for those of us first time cruisers who won't get to book until very late will we even be able to get a Disney excursion?
lisah0711 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #741
jel0511
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post
So for those of us first time cruisers who won't get to book until very late will we even be able to get a Disney excursion?
You'll get some excursions, I don't remember any Med one selling out last time. Though some of the newer experiences like the night at Doge's Palace might sell out before you get to book. I know I'm doing it, regardless of price. The price DCL wants is so high that a lot will book private excursions rather than pay DCL pricing, so a lot will be left. Expect most all day excursions to run 200-400 per adult, that's what I recall from our last Med....
Cont 6/93 Poly 9/96 ASMo 8/00 DVC Member 6/01 VWL 8/01 Poly Concierge 12/01 GF RPC - YC - VWL 7/02 Disney Wonder 11/03/02 AKL Concierge-VWL 2/03 Poly-BCV 7/03 GF-BWV 7/04 Disney Magic 11/06/04 Grand Californian Concierge - Disney Magic 7/09/05 BWV - VWL 4/06 POP 08/06 SSR 11/06 SSR 3/07 AKV 3/08 BWV 12/08 HRH-Disney Magic 8/29/09 BLT 3/10 10 night Med Magic 8/18/10 AKV - Disney Dream 4/17/11 Alaskan Wonder 8/23/11 SSR - Disney Fantasy Inaugural Sailing 3/31/12 GCV - Aulani 7/12 VWL 3/13 Disney MAGICal Med to Venice 6/27/13 BWV 10/13 Disney Magic 1/2/14 GFV - OKW 4/14 Disney Magic 04/25/14 Art of Animation 11/14 SSR - Disney Dream 04/03/15 Magic in the Baltic July 10, 2015
jel0511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #742
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
DCL also holds some spots back to allow those with later booking windows to have access, and sometimes they hold some spaces to be available for booking once on-board.

That said, if an excursion you want has been booked up, don't dismay - people do tend to change their plans and as those who may have grabbed up an excursion early on start finalizing their plans, they will cancel their spots which opens up a space for others. We've lucked into a couple of excursions that way - we just kept checking back every few days to see if space opened up for the four of us.

Also DCL may add more excursion slots based on demand. In 2007, we really wanted to do the excursion to Pisa because the boys wanted to climb the tower, but it booked up quick and we weren't able to get a spot. But a few weeks later, they ended up adding an afternoon one (they'd only had morning to begin with) so we were able to do that. Turned out to be better for us as an afternoon excursion because we'd been in Rome all day the previous day and the boys were exhausted and needed to sleep in!

My advice to first-timers is to comb through the DCL excursions and make a list of the ones you want to do, prioritizing those that are "must do" for your family vs those that you'd like to do but might be able to do on your own if you can't get it through DCL. Then when your window opens for booking excursions, make the bookings for the must-do ones first. And be patient as there will be lots of traffic on the booking site at the time and can be slow.

What we do with DCL excursions is copy/paste the information from the web into a document for those excursions that we might be remotely interested in (when the boys were younger, that meant any that had an age restriction were off the table for consideration, or if the price was too much for our budget or it was something I knew we wouldn't do like horseback riding), and then I read through and mark the ones for each port that I'm interested in, DH marks the ones he'd like to do, and we see which ones are the same - and then we have the boys chime in on what they'd like to do. so far that strategy has worked well for us.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:39 AM   #743
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

And speaking of excursions, I'm so excited that my boys have already expressed an interest in something... They are both taking Latin I this year (and will follow that with Latin II next year). So they're spending a lot of time learning about Pompeii. We toured Pompeii in 2007 (they were 9 and 11 at the time) and it was the afternoon portion of an all-day excursion that included Capri and Sorrento (both fabulous), so while they do remember some of it (and pictures help - we shared some with their Latin teacher), they have both said they would like to go back - but only if we can go in the morning and it not be an all-day affair!

I had planned for Naples to be a do-it-ourselves day where we would go see the Underground and go to the Archaeology museum and eat pizza, but I'm definitely willing to book an excursion to Pompeii if they offer one that will fit the boys' requirements. And when we get back, I'd still have time to get some pizza!

Old 11-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #744
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenta View Post
In 2010 we brought wine back with us from every port as well as cheese and pasteries. We never had a problem. We brought a glass with us to dinner a couple times and the servers were fine. One night we brought a bottle and our server was really reluctant but had to charge us a corkage fee. He was apologetic but we always understood the fee and were fine with that. The wine was really cheap cost wise but was very enjoyable. One time in Sorrento we were buying some wine to bring back and the shop keeper helped us out and even tried to sell us a case of wine. We declined and then he handed us his business card and said "I'm on the web and will ship it where ever you want". It hit us funny where we were in a store that probably dated back hundreds of years and an older gentleman has embraced the 21st century technology. But do enjoy the wines and there is something special about having a nice glass of vino when you are pulling out of port.
Oh, this is good to know
Do you recall any wines in particular that you liked alot??
Smart business man with the card and website

Quote:
Oh, yeah, you should be able to get something.
I had heard that they hold back some spots for things like Palo, but not excursions. So really popular ones might be gone by the time the 75 day mark comes.
But like nzdisneymom says above, that checking back to see if something opens up is a good idea
Also some advantages to going with a tour from a reputable private company too.

Quote:
And speaking of excursions, I'm so excited that my boys have already expressed an interest in something... They are both taking Latin I this year (and will follow that with Latin II next year). So they're spending a lot of time learning about Pompeii. We toured Pompeii in 2007 (they were 9 and 11 at the time) and it was the afternoon portion of an all-day excursion that included Capri and Sorrento (both fabulous), so while they do remember some of it (and pictures help - we shared some with their Latin teacher), they have both said they would like to go back - but only if we can go in the morning and it not be an all-day affair!

I had planned for Naples to be a do-it-ourselves day where we would go see the Underground and go to the Archaeology museum and eat pizza, but I'm definitely willing to book an excursion to Pompeii if they offer one that will fit the boys' requirements. And when we get back, I'd still have time to get some pizza!
Oh yes, pizza and Pompeii are on our list for Naples too
My DS (almost 19 now), went to Pompeii with a friend back when he was 15 and loved it. He is also excited about going back
It is unusual for him to admit to being excited about a trip so I think this is a good sign
Old 11-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #745
Cliffside
Mouseketeer

I have been kind of MIA for awhile but we are still going.

Not sure if this was posted...but dcl has posted all the excursions for our ports except the new ones of Venice and Dubrovnik ....in looking at them quickly they are very similar if not identical to what they offered in 2010..

Happy planning everyone.
January 2,2014 Disney Magic Bahamas
October 2013 BCV
June 27, 2013 Disney Magic in Med w/ Venice
March 2013 BLT
August 12, 2012 Disney Magic to Canada
March 31,2012 Maiden Voyage Disney Fantasy-Western
August 23, 2011 Disney Wonder -Alaska
April 17,2011 Disney Dream/AKL
August 18th 2010 Disney Magic in the Mediterranean
October 31st 2009 Disney Magic Western
August 2009 DL Grand Californian
February 2009 BCV
November 2008 Disney Magic Western
April 2008 BCV
November 2007 Disney Magic Western
April 2007 POFQ
April 2006 Disney Magic Eastern
April 2005 Land/Sea POFQ/Disney Wonder
April 2004 POFQ
Cliffside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #746
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffside

Not sure if this was posted...but dcl has posted all the excursions for our ports except the new ones of Venice and Dubrovnik ....in looking at them quickly they are very similar if not identical to what they offered in 2010..

Happy planning everyone.
Sweet.... I knew hey were starting to get some listed.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:22 AM   #747
lisah0711
her Disney office

Quote:
Originally Posted by jel0511 View Post
You'll get some excursions, I don't remember any Med one selling out last time. Though some of the newer experiences like the night at Doge's Palace might sell out before you get to book. I know I'm doing it, regardless of price. The price DCL wants is so high that a lot will book private excursions rather than pay DCL pricing, so a lot will be left. Expect most all day excursions to run 200-400 per adult, that's what I recall from our last Med....
That is one of the nice things about DVC is that I am only saving for excursions and spending money now since the room and air are paid for. It looks like our cruise is pretty much sold out -- for now.

Quote:
DCL also holds some spots back to allow those with later booking windows to have access, and sometimes they hold some spaces to be available for booking once on-board.

That said, if an excursion you want has been booked up, don't dismay - people do tend to change their plans and as those who may have grabbed up an excursion early on start finalizing their plans, they will cancel their spots which opens up a space for others. We've lucked into a couple of excursions that way - we just kept checking back every few days to see if space opened up for the four of us.

Also DCL may add more excursion slots based on demand. In 2007, we really wanted to do the excursion to Pisa because the boys wanted to climb the tower, but it booked up quick and we weren't able to get a spot. But a few weeks later, they ended up adding an afternoon one (they'd only had morning to begin with) so we were able to do that. Turned out to be better for us as an afternoon excursion because we'd been in Rome all day the previous day and the boys were exhausted and needed to sleep in!

My advice to first-timers is to comb through the DCL excursions and make a list of the ones you want to do, prioritizing those that are "must do" for your family vs those that you'd like to do but might be able to do on your own if you can't get it through DCL. Then when your window opens for booking excursions, make the bookings for the must-do ones first. And be patient as there will be lots of traffic on the booking site at the time and can be slow.

What we do with DCL excursions is copy/paste the information from the web into a document for those excursions that we might be remotely interested in (when the boys were younger, that meant any that had an age restriction were off the table for consideration, or if the price was too much for our budget or it was something I knew we wouldn't do like horseback riding), and then I read through and mark the ones for each port that I'm interested in, DH marks the ones he'd like to do, and we see which ones are the same - and then we have the boys chime in on what they'd like to do. so far that strategy has worked well for us.
Thanks for replies on the booking info! I just didn't want to get all excited about a particular excursion only to find that there was no way that we were going to have a shot at it. I will enjoy taking the week-end to look at everything that is offered.

Quote:

I have a Latin I scholar, too. You have to catch him at the right time to get enthusiasm for the ancient Roman stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsScooby View Post
Oh, this is good to know
Do you recall any wines in particular that you liked alot??
Smart business man with the card and website

Oh, yeah, you should be able to get something.
I had heard that they hold back some spots for things like Palo, but not excursions. So really popular ones might be gone by the time the 75 day mark comes.
But like nzdisneymom says above, that checking back to see if something opens up is a good idea
Also some advantages to going with a tour from a reputable private company too.

Oh yes, pizza and Pompeii are on our list for Naples too
My DS (almost 19 now), went to Pompeii with a friend back when he was 15 and loved it. He is also excited about going back
It is unusual for him to admit to being excited about a trip so I think this is a good sign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffside View Post

Happy planning everyone.
Thanks for letting us know!

I was hoping to get a Disney Magic ornament for Christmas when I was at WDW last week-end for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon but no such luck and people looked at me like I was crazy for asking.

Happy Planning everyone!
Old 11-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #748
lisah0711
her Disney office

Forgot to add that one of the highlights of my WDW trip was getting to meet a bunch of really nice WISH folks from the Disboards. I can tell that it is going to be just as fun to meet a bunch of cruisers from the Disboards!
Old 11-18-2012, 06:31 AM   #749
lisah0711
her Disney office

Wow! I didn't think I would have to worry about my awesome threadkilling abilities on this thread.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:57 AM   #750
DenverVal
DIS Veteran

Hey, it's the holidays....

WDW: 12/01 12/02 8/03 11/05 11/06 11/07 10/09 3/10 1/13 DL: 6/05 3/06 6/06 6/07 7/08
DCL: Magic 4/24/04, 8/20/05, 10/10/09, 7/15/12, 6/27/13 Dream 2/3/11, 12/29/11 Wonder 6/21/11 Fantasy 1/4/14 NCL: POAm 8/9/08

DenverVal is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: