Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
Joan1
DIS Veteran

Lactose intolerance

Can someone give me some ideas of what is available for anyone that cannot have any lactose

We are traveling next year with family members where one has been diagnosied and want to make sure there are options for the little one, 3 yr old.

She drinks Lactaid at home as she doesn't like soy milk. I am also concerned with restaurants and character meals since most character meals are buffets

Thanks for any advice

Last edited by Joan1; 11-17-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Joan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

If she drinks lactaid at home, does that also mean that they don't avoid milk that's cooked into foods? If yes then it's really easy as they don't need to worry about regular foods (chicken tenders, hamburger buns, etc) or even baked goods.

For treats, here are some suggestions that are lactose free. This is not an exhaustive list and there are also other options as well.
  • popcorn at all the snack carts all over the parks
  • jumbo pretzels at all the snack carts all over the parks
  • frozen strawberry and frozen pineapple bars and popsicles at all the frozen carts all over the parks (the frozen bananas do have milk)
  • dole whips
  • chips (read the packages as some flavours may have milk; regular and bbq are milk free)
  • Goofy's packaged candy (read the packages as some flavours may have milk)
  • fruit
  • pickles (I love those packaged pickles)
  • roasted nuts
  • Tofutti (soy) or Rice Dream (rice) ice cream

At the all you can eat restaurants including buffets, there will be items that are already safe and if she's drinking lactaid then cross contamination is likely not a concern so you can easily grab some foods from the buffet. In addition, you can ask to speak to a chef to find out about things like dairy free mac & cheese or dairy free pizza if that's something that she'd like (some places can make these, others can't; the chef will let you know what they're able to do). Dairy free cheeses are all soy cheese. Feel free to go over all of your options with the chef before getting any food as the chef will definitely go over with you what is safe and what isn't.

I don't know if any restaurants carry Lactaid or not. I don't think I've read any reports of it around. Lots carry Kikkomann soy milk (plain, vanilla or chocolate) and some carry Pacific rice milk.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
Joan1
DIS Veteran

Thank you

They do avoid items cooked with milk at home. For example they now make mashed potatoes with lactaid instead of regular milk or cream
She is not allergic to eggs just any milk product and all cheeses
Old 11-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
jennilouwho
DIS Veteran

Can you get soy or rice ice cream at any of the ice cream joints or only at table service restaurants?
jennilouwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Any ADRS you make, including buffets, should indicate that there is a person in the party who is allergic to dairy products.

I don't know if they will come up with Lactaid. A lot of the places have soy or rice milk and I don't know what they will offer if that is also unacceptable. You could also try the DisABILITIES board which has a lot of information on dealing with food allergies or intolerances at WDW.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
BebopBaloo
DIS Veteran

I'm lactose intolerant and have had many many wonderful meals at WDW at table service, quick service, and snack areas. Note on the ADR that you have an allergy. The chef will come to your table and help you choose. Many places even create special items, or keep them in stock. Sanaa at Animal Kingdom Lodge actually has individual menus for each type of allergy.

At quick service locations, just tell the cashier, they will get a manager, and you can check out their notebook.

Even places that just have snacks should have a notebook, except in World Showcase at Epcot..not all the kiosks there have the notebook. The table service and counter service places can work with you though. Actually, for a snack there's Kaki Gori in Japan (shaved ice w/ syrup).

Ice cream places do often have rice cream or soy options.

Oh! Dole Whips in Adventureland..soft serve non-dairy pineapple treats. Yum. Yum. Yum.
"Don't spend all your time looking around for something you want that can't be found. When you find out you can live without it and go along not thinking about it, I'll tell you something true. The bear necessities of life will come to you."

Psalm 27:1
BebopBaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:20 AM   #7
happymommy
DIS Veteran

My son is dairy allergic (has had anaphylaxis twice and could have died) and we've been to Disneyworld so many times. They do a wonderful job with food safety. He's never had a reaction at any Disney restaurants (they even change their gloves to handle his food).

At a buffet, a chef will walk the parent through with the child and go over each safe item on the buffet. Then, they also will offer to make anything special (like for my son a few times it was plain grilled fish and fries).

Lactose intolerance is much different than dairy allergy. It's more common in adults; it's something that develops when the intestines don't need to produce lactase anymore due to lack of milk in the diet. I would suggest to carry chewable Lactaid just in case, to offset any stomach issues. Also calling ahead to ask if the restaurant carries Lactaid milk is a good idea.

Previous WDW vacations include:
CR as a child with parents 1992 offsite twice 1993 Honeymoon GF 1995 BC 1996 SOG 2000 GF 2001 BWV 2003 (spring break) CR 2003 (summer) AKL 2003 (Christmas break including NYE) AKL concierge 2005 summer BWV 2006 April Swan 2006 August Dolphin 2007 March AKL 2007 August Dolphin 2008 March 7 Night Western on the Magic
2008 August (The Dark Side) PBH 2008 Dec BWI 2009 March Swan 2010 March Offsite (Grande Vista) 2010 December BWV plus 2 nights Marriott's Harbour Lake and 3 bonus nights snowed in at the Aiport Renaissance 2011 March Offsite (Marriott's Harbour Lake) 2012 August Offsite (Marriott's Grande Vista and Sabal Palms) March 2014 BWV
happymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:43 AM   #8
Joan1
DIS Veteran

Thank you everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymommy View Post
My son is dairy allergic (has had anaphylaxis twice and could have died) and we've been to Disneyworld so many times. They do a wonderful job with food safety. He's never had a reaction at any Disney restaurants (they even change their gloves to handle his food).

At a buffet, a chef will walk the parent through with the child and go over each safe item on the buffet. Then, they also will offer to make anything special (like for my son a few times it was plain grilled fish and fries).

Lactose intolerance is much different than dairy allergy. It's more common in adults; it's something that develops when the intestines don't need to produce lactase anymore due to lack of milk in the diet. I would suggest to carry chewable Lactaid just in case, to offset any stomach issues. Also calling ahead to ask if the restaurant carries Lactaid milk is a good idea.
Thank you - this is a 2yr old, 3yr next year that cannot handle milk or cheese products at all. I will have her look into the chewable Lactaid not sure if it is something a three year old can have.

They went to DLand over the summer this year and had a hard time with the meals even though it was noted on the reservations and they spoke to a chef when they were there. They were paying for the meal since it was a special order one and not "free" for a 2 yr old
Old 11-18-2012, 06:10 AM   #9
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan1 View Post
Thank you

They do avoid items cooked with milk at home. For example they now make mashed potatoes with lactaid instead of regular milk or cream
She is not allergic to eggs just any milk product and all cheeses
When I asked about items cooked with milk I meant where the items are cooked after the milk is added such as baked goods. With mashed potatoes, the milk is added after the cooking. Believe it or not, there is a difference. If she eats baked goods that contain milk then her options are much simpler and greater. That being said, there are still LOTS of options for those who can't consume even a trace of milk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennilouwho View Post
Can you get soy or rice ice cream at any of the ice cream joints or only at table service restaurants?
The ice cream parlours all carry soy ice cream and I think also rice ice cream as do the resort CS locations. Sometimes you'll also find it at Sunshine Seasons and the American pavillion at Epcot but those are more hit and miss. Frozen Coke is also milk free. I forgot to include that in my previous list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BebopBaloo View Post
Oh! Dole Whips in Adventureland..soft serve non-dairy pineapple treats. Yum. Yum. Yum.
Dole Whips are NOT non-dairy. They ARE lactose free. For those of us dealing with milk allergies, there's a HUGE difference. Lactose is the sugar component of milk. Milk allergies involve the protein casein or in some people the milk solid whey.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:30 AM   #10
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

I would suggest going to the disABILITIES Forum and look at Post #3 of the disABILITIES FAQs. There is a large section in that post dealing with special dietary needs, as well as many related links. You can get directly to the disABILITIES FAQs by following the link in my signature.

This is a very common topic of discussion in the disABILITIES Forum.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:19 PM   #11
jennilouwho
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
The ice cream parlours all carry soy ice cream and I think also rice ice cream as do the resort CS locations. Sometimes you'll also find it at Sunshine Seasons and the American pavillion at Epcot but those are more hit and miss. Frozen Coke is also milk free. I forgot to include that in my previous list.
Thanks so much! We usually do Disneyland since we can drive there, but they don't have as many options for those allergic to milk. My son is 4, we're saving to go to WDW in 2014. It would be nice if he can get a treat or two!
jennilouwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #12
BebopBaloo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post

Dole Whips are NOT non-dairy. They ARE lactose free. For those of us dealing with milk allergies, there's a HUGE difference. Lactose is the sugar component of milk. Milk allergies involve the protein casein or in some people the milk solid whey.
MAJOR apologies!!! I have always been told on this board that they were non-dairy. I do know there is a major difference between being intolerant and dealing with an allergy. Thank you for informing me.
"Don't spend all your time looking around for something you want that can't be found. When you find out you can live without it and go along not thinking about it, I'll tell you something true. The bear necessities of life will come to you."

Psalm 27:1
BebopBaloo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: