Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
deannaf87
Mouseketeer

Third Week in March...Am I Crazy?

My husband and I really wanted to take teh kids (ages 5 and 1) to WDW after he returns from his deployment in Afghanistan. Unfortunately it looks like his leave dates will be early/mid March through early/mid April.

Disney's military discount is blacked out March 24- April 4, so it looks like our only viable option would be the third week of March (we'd do the 18-22).

Is that crazy considering my children's ages? Plus add in my husband's quick temper and lack of patience lol.

Touring plans is rating the overall crowd level at 9

We've considered going to Disneyland instead. We could possibly make it out there the 12th through the 14th. Touring plans has those dates at 7.

I really want to take the kids especially since my daughter (the 5 year old) is at the prime age for Disney, but I don't want to spend our vacation fighting crowds and ridiculous lines.

So how bad is WDW/Disneyland mid March?
deannaf87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
Joan S.
DIS Veteran
Needs to 'fess up to DH about the next WDW trip!

Hi, Since Easter falls on the 31st of March in 2013 I think you will just MISS the CRAZY crowds. However it will be crowded especially the new Fantasyland!! If you PLAN accordingly and follow the usual, be there at rope drop and leave in the middle of the day for a pool/nap break you will have a MAGICAL time. It is all in the planning and being prepared!! I noticed this is your 1st post so WELCOME to the DIS Boards and keep reading . You will pick up plenty of tips to make your trip enjoyable. Joan
Register to remove

Old 11-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
deannaf87
Mouseketeer

Thank you!

This will be our first family trip to Disney.

I went to Disneyland in 2003 but have never been to Disney World.

I'm getting very excited.

We've made reservations at Shades of Green!
Old 11-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #4
BeveMom
Mouseketeer

That's when we're going - EasyWDW has crowd levels at a 7 for that week - I can't imagine they would be at a 9 two weeks before Easter, you know? Crowd levels should always be looked at with a grain of salt, I think. :-)
BeveMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
deannaf87
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeveMom View Post
That's when we're going - EasyWDW has crowd levels at a 7 for that week - I can't imagine they would be at a 9 two weeks before Easter, you know? Crowd levels should always be looked at with a grain of salt, I think. :-)
I get so stressed about stressing haha.

I don't want it to be too overwhelming considering DH will be freshly back from Afghanistan.

Our other option would be July. I'd like to avoid Florida in July if possible!
Old 11-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
brettcw23
DDC #722
Always remember...bad decisions often lead to great stories!
Yeah, I'm crafty like that

First off, thenk you to you and your husband and your committment to our country!

Do not fret. It will be busy but it's apparent you are ahead of the game and doing research. Go to WDW and plan your parks accordingly. Be there for rope drop and be amazed at how many rides you can get on without lines. With a good plan, you can doa nice job of minimizing the pain of crowds

Also note your celebration on your resort details...."returning from afghanistan"

Some folks might consider that self-absorbed but I can tell you that I personally would go out of my way to do something nice for one of our soldiers and his\her family.

God bless you and your family!
DIS Dad #722
WDW Commando Member #222
Controlled Chaos and the Quest for Bottomless Dole Whips
Boo, Brew and Happy Birthday, too!

1982 offsite, 2007 offsite, 2010 All Star Movies
2011 All Star Sports, 2012 AKL-Kidani Village (Mar.)
2012 BLT (Nov.), 2013 BWV, 2014 BLT
brettcw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:33 PM   #7
shopgirl78
Mouseketeer

That's around the time we went THIS year which happened to also be our Spring Break. I bet you will be fighting that crowd if you chose to go. I agree with the pps that it is doable if you get to the parks early...grab fast passes, right headliners then, then during the afternoon and rest/swim and if you chose go back in the evenings. That's what we did and we got to do most of what we wanted. Just a warning: it was still hot in March.
March 2015 DCL/AoA

8 years 6 years 4 years
shopgirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #8
mjbucks1
Earning My Ears

We were there at about that time this past spring. Yes, it was crowded, but we got to do everything we wanted to do. DH got the Disney app that allowed us to see Fastpass return times and how long the wait was at each ride. My DH would go grab fastpasses while I went with the kids to a ride that had a 20 minute or less wait (DH would meet us there as it took me a little longer to walk with our 4 year old). This worked out great! We also went there knowing it would be more crowded, but we all had a fantastic time! Also, some nights the parks stayed open later than usual to accomodate the crowds (NOT magic hours, just extended hours announced the same day). The crowd level would not keep me from going and having a blast! What a great time for you as a family!! ENJOY!!!
mjbucks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #9
tinkerbelletreasure
Mouseketeer

We went three years ago at that time, and we are going back again this year. It's busy, but definitely doable.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: