Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 10:19 PM   #166
DenverVal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by believinthemagic View Post
Question for runners & those with more fitness experience than me

I have never been a runner but I have always said I wanted to do a 5k. Well, we will be on CC in January & I'd love to try it. My question is, is an elliptical helpful at all for training to run? I'm going to attempt to do a C25K that is 9 weeks. And hopefully I can get through it in time. But sometimes with three kids its hard to get outside and the elliptical is what I do. I usually do 30 minutes on the elliptical.

If that's what I'm used to doing, will running a 5k be way harder & different. Or if I mostly use the elliptical & don't get a chance to do much running, do u think I have a chance of completing it? Not so worried about time, as much as just having the endurance to finish. Thanks!
Running on an elliptical or a treadmill is different than running on the ground; there is less resistance on the machines. The treadmill is closer to pavement than the elliptical, but yes, working out on an elliptical or treadmill is a "step in the right direction". Aim for more than a casual walk effort. I would recommend that you get out and walk or jog a few miles on pavement or trail once or twice a week so you get used to it. Put the kids in a stroller or a wagon, or have them accompany you on their bikes, make it a family activity.

Walking at 3.5 miles per hour will have you finishing in about 53 minutes. Walking at 4 miles per hour, pretty brisk but still walking, will have you finishing in 46 minutes. If you jog a bit as well, you'll finish in less time. Songs that have a 4 mph beat include Glad You Came (The Wanted), What Makes You Beautiful (One Direction), Call Me Maybe (Carly Rae Jepsen), Last Friday Night (I like the Glee version) Tonight, Tonight (Hot Chelle Rae), Firework (Katy Perry), Ice Ice Baby (Vanilla Ice), Bust A Move (Glee again), Don't Stop Believin' (Journey), etc. If you have a tween girl, she'll be happy with the choice of music. Well, maybe not all of it.

If you have a smart phone, download one of the running apps - I use Nike running - and it will keep track of your pace, your route, and your distance. Just have fun. You will finish.

WDW: 12/01 12/02 8/03 11/05 11/06 11/07 10/09 3/10 1/13 DL: 6/05 3/06 6/06 6/07 7/08
DCL: Magic 4/24/04, 8/20/05, 10/10/09, 7/15/12, 6/27/13 Dream 2/3/11, 12/29/11 Wonder 6/21/11 Fantasy 1/4/14 NCL: POAm 8/9/08

Last edited by DenverVal; 11-16-2012 at 11:20 PM.
DenverVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:55 PM   #167
believinthemagic
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverVal

Running on an elliptical or a treadmill is different than running on the ground; there is less resistance on the machines. The treadmill is closer to pavement than the elliptical, but yes, working out on an elliptical or treadmill is a "step in the right direction". Aim for more than a casual walk effort. I would recommend that you get out and walk or jog a few miles on pavement or trail once or twice a week so you get used to it. Put the kids in a stroller or a wagon, or have them accompany you on their bikes, make it a family activity.

Walking at 3.5 miles per hour will have you finishing in about 53 minutes. Walking at 4 miles per hour, pretty brisk but still walking, will have you finishing in 46 minutes. If you jog a bit as well, you'll finish in less time. Songs that have a 4 mph beat include Glad You Came (The Wanted), What Makes You Beautiful (One Direction), Call Me Maybe (Carly Rae Jepsen), Last Friday Night (I like the Glee version) Tonight, Tonight (Hot Chelle Rae), Firework (Katy Perry), Ice Ice Baby (Vanilla Ice), Bust A Move (Glee again), Don't Stop Believin' (Journey), etc. If you have a tween girl, she'll be happy with the choice of music. Well, maybe not all of it.

If you have a smart phone, download one of the running apps - I use Nike running - and it will keep track of your pace, your route, and your distance. Just have fun. You will finish.
Thanks for the tips! I definitely plan on trying to get out & run. I have a C25K app on my phone and I plan on trying to get thru it. It's a 9 week app & I just happen to have 9 weeks till we leave I don't have any good running music so I'm going to download the songs you mentioned and that should help.

We did a 5k walk for a charity last month, and with only walking while keeping my 9 yr old son & 10 yr old niece with me, I was finished in just under an hour. My goal is to try & do the 5k in 45 mins or less
Many trips as a kid- Ft. WildernessJan 2000- offsiteJan 2001- Treehouse VillasJanuary 2002- PolynesianJanuary 2003 All Star MoviesNovember 2003- Disney Cruise & All Star MoviesFebruary 2005 - Port Orleans FQFebruary 2006 - All Star MoviesJune 2007- All Star MoviesOctober 2008 - Port Orleans FQOctober 2009- Port Orleans FQNovember 2010 - Port Orleans RiversideJanuary 2012- Port Orleans FQJanuary 2013 Cruise on Disney Fantasy
believinthemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-17-2012, 12:29 AM   #168
Bareacuda
DIS Veteran

Hubby and I did the CC5K last September. Fun.. yes... Hot !! Oh Yeah !

This wasn't our first 5k, our first CC5K. Hubby has Parkinson's and walked almost all of it, we walked abit faster when he could,
done in 1 hr.1min. Im so proud of him!
And we had our own pep squad, DD and DSIL at the end, along with 3 Castmembers walking with us the last half of the run.

If we can do it...anyone can !!!

Ann
Old 11-17-2012, 12:35 AM   #169
believinthemagic
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bareacuda

This wasn't our first 5k, our first CC5K. Hubby has Parkinson's and walked almost all of it, we walked abit faster when he could,
And we had our own pep squad, DD and DSIL at the end, along with 3 Castmembers walking with us the last half of the run.

Ann
That's awesome!! I do have to say, I'm glad we are cruising in Jan & it hopefully shouldn't be too hot
Many trips as a kid- Ft. WildernessJan 2000- offsiteJan 2001- Treehouse VillasJanuary 2002- PolynesianJanuary 2003 All Star MoviesNovember 2003- Disney Cruise & All Star MoviesFebruary 2005 - Port Orleans FQFebruary 2006 - All Star MoviesJune 2007- All Star MoviesOctober 2008 - Port Orleans FQOctober 2009- Port Orleans FQNovember 2010 - Port Orleans RiversideJanuary 2012- Port Orleans FQJanuary 2013 Cruise on Disney Fantasy
Old 11-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #170
DitkaFan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by capshockeygrl View Post
Congrats!
Thanks!

2014 - Jan: 7 day RCCL Allure of the Seas Western Caribbean, Sept:8 days at BWI in WDW, and Oct: 4 days on Disney Dream Bahamas with Castaway Cay Double Dip
2013 - Spring:3 days at Art of Animation in Disney World followed by 7 days Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean and Fall: 5 days at Port Orleans in WDW
2012 - 6 days at All Star Music in Disney World followed by 4 days Disney Dream Bahamas
2011 - 3 days Disney Dream Bahamas followed by 3 days at the Polynesian WDW
DitkaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:32 PM   #171
Kimbo71
Mouseketeer

Trying the C25K program in order to run the CC 5K in Feb. I finished week 3, & had a setback because I was soooo very sick last week. Think I'll try week 3 again next week.

Kimbo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #172
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbo71 View Post
Trying the C25K program in order to run the CC 5K in Feb. I finished week 3, & had a setback because I was soooo very sick last week. Think I'll try week 3 again next week.
Best thing I did for myself was to repeat C25K weeks as needed. Week 4, especially, was something I had to repeat. And now I'm doing the program again, but this time with *distance* instead of just time. (I'm doing the free one on coolrunning)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverVal View Post
Running on an elliptical or a treadmill is different than running on the ground; there is less resistance on the machines.
They are definitely different! I've started to use "altitude" on the machine. On the Precor at my gym I put it on .5 so there's a little bit more going on than just running flat. (or, as I've read, running on a flat treadmill is almost like running slightly downhill on pavement)

But despite not going outside to run very often, when I do, my legs get used to the feeling fairly quickly. It's definitely more taxing, but it's OK.

Just noticed you were talking about the elliptical. While I did the elliptical for quite awhile before feeling comfortable and safe to try to run on the treadmill, and while I do often use the elliptical on my days off of running AND to keep my heart/lungs in shape, I'm not sure if I consider it to be training for running. I'm sure it will help with the cardio system, but your legs might feel the run a bit more if you don't get the running time in. But, you know...DH was 3 weeks into his C25K program and we did a 5K at my university's Homecoming...took him just under an hour, but he did it! And that's without the elliptical, and just 3 weeks of the program, though he does *walk* a lot.

Honestly I'm more worried about possible problems with *heat* on the Cay than I am about the pavement! (thank goodness I'm going in Feb)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!

Last edited by bumbershoot; 11-17-2012 at 06:12 PM.
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #173
honeymo78
Don't dream it, be it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbo71
This sounds like me. Next week I'll be repeating week 3. Hopefully I'll still make it through intone for our Jan 10 cruise.
Past trips: 5/13 BWV, 1/13 Dream and OKW, 9/12 Fantasy, 5/12 BLT, 9/11 BWV, 5/11 VGC, 12/10 BWV, 9/10 Wonder and BLT, 5/10 BWV, 12/09 OKW, 10/09 AKV Conc, 5/09 DL GCH, 12/08 SSR, 10/08 CR MKV, 10/07 CR MKV, 3/07 Pop, 2/06 CR MKV, 10/05 WL, 5/04 WL, 8/03 POR/WL, 8/01 POR Many more since the 80s

honeymo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #174
tn4mickey
Mouseketeer

DH and I are planning to do our first 5k on CC during podcast cruise 4.0. We started going to the gym in June and generally trying to get more fit. I've enjoyed reading this thread as it's given me courage to try this race. I'm not very concerned with time though would like to finish in 45 minutes or less. We live about 2 miles from Furman University (beautiful campus btw) and ran/walked the 5k course they have marked off last weekend. I had to walk a good bit and held up DH, I'm sure, but we finished in 40 minutes (the course has many hills eek!!) but it gave me more confidence that we'll be able to do this. Thanks for all the input!
Old 11-17-2012, 11:56 PM   #175
Hollywood Glitter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bareacuda View Post

Ann
Thank you for the inspiration!
Hollywood Glitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:08 AM   #176
SurfBug79
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickibean View Post
I'll be partaking on our 12/6 Dream cruise.

I really hope there is a medal. I'm all about the bling. 2012 is the year of Disney medals for me. Donald, Mickey, Goofy, the DL 1/2 and the Coast to Coast.

This could be my Coast to Coast to Coast challenge!
I am all about doing the Run Disney races, too! Good luck to you! To qualify for the coast to coast, I believe both of the races have to be a half or full marathon.
SurfBug79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #177
believinthemagic
Mouseketeer

Just thought I'd let you all know that since you answered my elliptical questions, you have all inspired me to get out and run! Have only done 2 days so far on my C25K program, but I'm optimistic. Hopefully I will be running my first 5K in January
Old 11-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #178
MatthewsMommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missypyxi View Post
I'm so excited to run this in February. I just started training in Sept (never ran before) and I'm doing a 12 minute mile now on hills, so I know I can easily finish it before 45 mins are up. Hoping to be down to at least a 10 min mile by Feb, but I'm not sure how ill do once the weather gets super cold here. Either way, I can't WAIT!

The only thing that might thwart my efforts is parasailing. DH and I both really want to go. Hoping we can get a later time, possibly around 1PM, so I can do both. It's our first cruise so we can't book excursions yet! Dec 1 *fingers crossed*
Are you on the 2/16 Fantasy? I'm on that cruise as well and still thinking about doing the CC5K.

I'm running on the treadmill and am down to an 11 min mile. Running my first 5K this Sat!

MatthewsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #179
Missypyxi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewsMommy

Are you on the 2/16 Fantasy? I'm on that cruise as well and still thinking about doing the CC5K.

I'm running on the treadmill and am down to an 11 min mile. Running my first 5K this Sat!
Nope! 2/14 Dream! I just started running 2 months ago and I'm down to an 11:30 mile now. So excited to run on the island for my first 5k!

FairyDawn on Etsy
Missypyxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:42 PM   #180
LessMouse
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn4mickey View Post
DH and I are planning to do our first 5k on CC during podcast cruise 4.0. We started going to the gym in June and generally trying to get more fit. I've enjoyed reading this thread as it's given me courage to try this race. I'm not very concerned with time though would like to finish in 45 minutes or less. We live about 2 miles from Furman University (beautiful campus btw) and ran/walked the 5k course they have marked off last weekend. I had to walk a good bit and held up DH, I'm sure, but we finished in 40 minutes (the course has many hills eek!!) but it gave me more confidence that we'll be able to do this. Thanks for all the input!

Hey neighbor

I too live in the upstate (Spartanburg). Ever thought about about doing the Greenville mud run ? It's about the distance of 5k. I personally find running boring at times. So I do the obstacle runs to keep things more interesting .
LessMouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: