Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #31
ButterflyJen
Mouseketeer

Kelly - I am hoping to have the girls do their Take Action project on Earth Day. Hopefully cleaning up the school grounds or playground. I also have a few 4th graders who need to figure out their Bronze service project this year...ugh!

Disneyland Day Trip 1981*Disneyland Day Trip 2000*DL/DCA Day Trip May 2007*Our First WDW Trip Jan 2013...for DD's 6th Birthday!
ButterflyJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #32
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

Our big service project this year is going to be "Generosity Feeds". It's a program where you work for 1-2 hours filling up meals for the hungry (like putting a cup of rice in a bag, etc).

We are using that for our Give Back badge.
Marshay is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-17-2012, 08:55 AM   #33
Familyof4lovesDW
DIS Veteran

I was just wondering when everyone starts selling cookies? We are starting earlier and earlier each year. We start Jan 4. The need to move them later not earlier so be warm at booth sales lol It is so crazy.

Our Cooke kickoff party is during Christmas break, during the day! My co leader is not happy about it and I don't blame her. She works, so her DD will not be able to go. I will only be able to go for a little bit, due to my work schedule as well.

We are working hard, hoping to complete our journey by the end of the year. Then move to the two cookie try its.

Last edited by Familyof4lovesDW; 11-17-2012 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Typo
Familyof4lovesDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #34
ButterflyJen
Mouseketeer

Ours run Jan 11-27. Cookie kickoff is Jan 10. What sucks for me is...I will be in WDW on the 27th!!! Not quite sure how I'm gonna manage that...

Disneyland Day Trip 1981*Disneyland Day Trip 2000*DL/DCA Day Trip May 2007*Our First WDW Trip Jan 2013...for DD's 6th Birthday!
Old 11-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #35
Tabologist
Mouseketeer

My Brownie troop has just been asked to decorate a tree in town in a "cookie" theme. So, of course, we want to do a Girl Scout cookie theme. Anyone reading this have a suggestion for a homemade cookie theme ornament that will withstand snow/cold weather for a few weeks?

Thanks

Tabitha Audiologist, Wife & Momma to boy/girl twins
December 2010 Cabins at Fort Wilderness ~ July 2013 Disney Dream
DVC members Saratoga Springs since December 2013
Tabologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:13 AM   #36
RangerPooh
It's the little things that make our day
It was a nice surprise to find to find when I returned home from work

We begin presage orders in early February. Cookies arrive late mid/late March and we sell until mid April. Our service unit isn't planning to participate in the "cookie sleep over party".

As for cookie ornaments. Can you cut them out of wood and then paint them? Or cut them out of thick insulating foam and then paint with paint, puff paint, and glitter for dimension and pizzazz tue with thick ribbon to hang.

Disneyland Wedding 6.02.2003
RangerPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:17 AM   #37
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

We have our troop cookie meeting on Wed and presales will begin about two weeks later!
Old 12-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #38
Msjetaway
Earning My Ears

Glad I found this thread! This is my 3rd year as a leader. I was the Daisy leader for the same girls, They moved up and I moved up with them. Kindergarten had 10 girls, 1st grade 11 and now 12 2nd graders. I have 7 girls that has been with me since kindergarten.
We finished up the nut sale and on the 21st cookie sale starts
We finished our WOW journey, and started on 1st aid badge, and plan on working on the pet and bug badge, then decided if they want to start a journey or more badge work. I think outside the box to keep the girls interested in the Journeys.
Our service projects so far has been Goodwill day, made small wreaths for the nursing home patients doors and collecting socks to send to Staten Island Girl scouts who lost everything during Hurricane Sandy. Our school just had a family of 5 (2 adults and 3 children) perish in a house fire, the one child was a 2nd grader ( kindergartener and 6th grader) so the girls want plant a memorial tree (will have to wait til spring for the tree).
This spring will also take the girls on our 1st camping trip.
Msjetaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #39
Marshay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msjetaway View Post
Glad I found this thread! This is my 3rd year as a leader. I was the Daisy leader for the same girls, They moved up and I moved up with them. Kindergarten had 10 girls, 1st grade 11 and now 12 2nd graders. I have 7 girls that has been with me since kindergarten.
We finished up the nut sale and on the 21st cookie sale starts
We finished our WOW journey, and started on 1st aid badge, and plan on working on the pet and bug badge, then decided if they want to start a journey or more badge work. I think outside the box to keep the girls interested in the Journeys.
Our service projects so far has been Goodwill day, made small wreaths for the nursing home patients doors and collecting socks to send to Staten Island Girl scouts who lost everything during Hurricane Sandy. Our school just had a family of 5 (2 adults and 3 children) perish in a house fire, the one child was a 2nd grader ( kindergartener and 6th grader) so the girls want plant a memorial tree (will have to wait til spring for the tree).
This spring will also take the girls on our 1st camping trip.
Wow!! Sounds like a lot of great things going on with your troop (except for the fire...)

We did our first camping trip this past fall and loved it! We did one of the camps where everything, including food was pre-arranged and all we had to do was show up! Worked out great for us.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #40
mupt02
Mouseketeer

Our cookie sales start January 27. I have to place our cookie order by next week, so I'm sitting here trying to guess how many cookies our girls will sell.
mupt02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #41
ButterflyJen
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mupt02 View Post
Our cookie sales start January 27. I have to place our cookie order by next week, so I'm sitting here trying to guess how many cookies our girls will sell.
UGH!! You guys have to order the cookies and THEN ask people what they want? Icky!! I would lose my mind if we did it that way!! Good luck!

Old 12-26-2012, 06:13 PM   #42
RangerPooh
It's the little things that make our day
It was a nice surprise to find to find when I returned home from work

I'm looking for a few leson topics for the coming weeks. The Journey's haven't been keeping the girls interest too much, even after I thought out of the box. My co-leader and I would like to incoporate topics such as first aid, emergency preparedness, bike maintance (how to chnage a flat tire), sewing (button back ton a shirt), basic cooking, knots, and warm weather activities such as hiking, camping, and orienteering. But we'd like to think of a few other ideas to include. Ideally I'd like for them to work on 2 badges a month. Our troop meets weekly from 6-7 pm, and is located in a rural area.

So what are other troops doing for your lessons?

Disneyland Wedding 6.02.2003
RangerPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #43
Marshay

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerPooh
I'm looking for a few leson topics for the coming weeks. The Journey's haven't been keeping the girls interest too much, even after I thought out of the box. My co-leader and I would like to incoporate topics such as first aid, emergency preparedness, bike maintance (how to chnage a flat tire), sewing (button back ton a shirt), basic cooking, knots, and warm weather activities such as hiking, camping, and orienteering. But we'd like to think of a few other ideas to include. Ideally I'd like for them to work on 2 badges a month. Our troop meets weekly from 6-7 pm, and is located in a rural area.

So what are other troops doing for your lessons?
Right now we are just sticking to the Legacy badges...but we are going to have a female pilot come to us and talk about her job and also going to a local college's Women in Sports Day to try out each sport and talk to the female athletes and then we are doing another Bully Prevention/Self Defense meeting, where we are going to show the girls what to do if a stranger grabs them and let them practice it (screaming Stranger Danger, kicking, biting, etc). We are still researching on that but will practice on a big 4' rag doll.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #44
ButterflyJen
Mouseketeer

We worked on Philanthropist this past month. We had the girls collect non-perishables at their school holiday concert, then the next week we went to our city's community food pantry and helped out in lieu of a regular meeting. The girls LOVED this & wanted to do it again!! Then, for the second meeting of that badge, we had a Red Cross volunteer come in & discuss how the Red Cross helps in disasters, put together wants vs needs posters, and assembled Socks of Love for our local warming shelter for homeless people.

My daughter's favorite badge to date was Letterboxing We did that one this summer.

We also had fun with Fair Play (we put together a field day of sorts - water balloon toss, human knot, relay races) and Snacks (I strongly suggest a longer meeting time for this one or breaking it i to 2 meetings as we were rushing to fit it all in within our 1-1/2 hour time period!!)

Hope this helps...We have definitely realized our girls like to be DOING something, not just sitting & listening, and are NOT into role play even a little bit. Live and learn, right?

Old 12-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #45
MUtiger98
Earning My Ears

I'm so excited to have found this thread while doing Disney research!

I'm a first year leader, but DD8 has been a scout for 4 years now. Our troop (10 girls, all 3rd graders) just finished Brownie Quest before the holidays. The girls wanted to do something with a food bank for their service project. We worked with a local one to "adopt" two disadvantaged families with kids their age for Thanksgiving and for the holidays, make a budget, do all the shopping (using money from their troop account), then we threw a potluck holiday party and had the families come.

We actually are working primarily with the old try-its. We meet weekly (for 75 min) and typically we can get through a try-it per meeting. We've paired the girls into 2 person teams, they chose their try-its from a list of those that we pre-purchased, and the girls have to work together to plan how they're going to teach their try-it and then also teach it during the meeting.

Our cookie sales started 12/21; initial orders due 1/14. Our booth sales are usually during March.
MUtiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: