Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #31
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran
 
GaSleepingBeautyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 7,556

My husband and I absolutely cannot share a double bed. So I would pick either POR or CSR.

I've stayed at POR 4 times. I love that resort. The grounds, the food court, the bar area, the room were all very nice.

I liked most everything about CSR the one time I stayed there except for the bar area (too many conventioneers getting really toasted when I was there) and the food court at CSR. I didn't like that at all. So I most likely won't stay there again.

Both are big resorts with multiple bus stops.
__________________
Me DD14 DS18 DH Lola Rocky

Connie


WDW: 16 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:45 PM   #32
princessmomma92
Earning My Ears
 
princessmomma92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderlustNZ

Thanks for your advice. The size of the bed aside, I wonder if others have also found the value beds less comfortable? It could be the case that the values use a lesser quality mattress and if this is the case then that will be the final deciding factor that sways me towards a moderate.
I've only stayed at value. Pop specifically. 3 times in the last 14 months. I didn't find the beds uncomfortable at all. Better than my Serta at home. )

That being said, I'm going back with a group of family next year. We're splurging on a moderate because of bed sharing and bed size. We are leaning towards CS too. Interested in knowing more about POFQ since a couple have already mentioned.
princessmomma92 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-17-2012, 01:32 PM   #33
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bensalem, PA
Posts: 3,945

POR would give you a queen bed for Hubby, one for you, and a Murphy bed for your son. Everyone would have their own sleeping space.

Plus - POR is a great resort! Cleanliness & staff attitudes are the best. We feel like royalty there. We like the Alligator Bayou rooms best, but many differ on this. The Mansion rooms are in beautiful buildings, & have really nice decor!

The food court is above all others. The choices & the food itself are outstanding. It is a great place. We often adjust our schedule around eating at POR's food court.

Good luck in your choosing. It is hard to pick!
__________________
Pop, POFQ, & POR
I Love Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:37 PM   #34
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,056

Hi again OP. When we stayed at CSR this past June we were upgraded to a preferred water view room. No way would I pay extra for the water view and I likely wouldn't pay for preferred at CSR either. The water view was pretty but to see it you have to have your curtains open in your room and sit by the window. Nobody really does that, at least not us. We usually had our curtains closed for privacy because people are walking in front of your room all day. I like water views when I have a balcony but not like what a water view at a moderate offers.

As for preferred, the rooms that are preferred are closet to the food options but farther from the main pool. It's a little unusual at this resort. It's not that far of a walk though.

I do know that the only rooms with the Murphy bed at POR are in alligator bayou and preference is given to groups of 5. I can't answer much about the free dining as we do not do dining plans at all but it is easy to convert room only to a package. As for free dining, I recommend comparing room discounts to free dining and seeing which is a better deal for your family.
__________________
Me , DH , DS 3 , and DS 3
twinboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #35
letsgoreds
DIS Veteran
 
letsgoreds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,305

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderlustNZ View Post
Interesting you say this. I looked at the position of the preferred rooms and didn't think they looked that preferred either. There are other locations in that resort I would much rather stay.

The reason I thought CSR looked quite nice is due to the following
- the clean, modern decor of the rooms
- the fact that the food court seems to sell a range of spicy foods which we love
- it's location between the four main parks and near Blizzard Beach.
- the fact that the Spanish/Mexican theming is quite different to anything we'd find at home.
- and the fact that I read somewhere that the toiletries and linen are a bit nicer than other moderates due to the business crowd that the resort attracts. (Would love to know if this is true)

The reason I like the look of POR is the lush greenery of the grounds and the boat to DTD. The alligator rooms look great, but I don't like the look of the Princess rooms (I'd find the decor too busy and my husband and son would find it all to feminine).

For some reason I'd eliminated POFQ, but now that two people have mentioned it I'll have to go back and re-look.
I have stayed at CSR (never purchased a preferred room) and agree with all of your insights (nicer, more modern, moderate). It is very spread out, but that was never a problem for us.
letsgoreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #36
chemnerd09
Mouseketeer
 
chemnerd09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 405

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderlustNZ View Post
A few more questions if you don't mind:

1. Do any of the Bayou rooms at POR not have the extra murphy bed?
2. If free dining is offered again this year (fingers crossed), are any moderates resorts more likely than others to be excluded from the deal? In the past when I've looked, I've noticed that POFQ is sometimes excluded from specials and was wondering if that might include the dining.
3. Lastly, if I book a room now as 'room only', how easy is it to change it later on to a package?

Thanks everyone! You help so far has been much appreciated.
I haven't done this personally, but I have heard that adding a package on later can be difficult. There was a thread earlier from someone asking about the same thing, and most of the responses said to book the package first instead of later. I wish I could remember the name of that thread.
__________________
DVC member since 2013 with 24 years of WDW trips and counting
Next Trip: WL/BWV/CR Atrium/Dream/CR Atrium

chemnerd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #37
Collette
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 330

We love POR!! Rooms, grounds, food court, everything. We were there in October. At first I thought the beds might be too firm, but they were just right. Since you like the Alligator Bayou rooms, it would be perfect to each have a queen and your son on the murphy bed.

I know that cost is a factor already, but there is a category that I believe can only be booked in Alligator Bayou - preferred. I think it is $25 per night extra. I thought all AB rooms have the murphy beds.
Collette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #38
tjmw2727
Enjoys "mom and me" trips
May just have to dance!
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 9,133

I haven't read any further so forgive me if this is repetative but I thought I would stop and repond.

CSR
- the rooms are very nice but not any better/nicer than the other modertaes IMHO
-I found the houskeeping worse then the others - including moderate and deluxe.
- I did like the food court but didn't like having a "waitor" and then still having to order and get my own food. Also found the stations were somewhat unorginized and often they had no idea who was waiting and who had just walked up ot order.
- The bus ride was similar to others - further to some parks closer to others.
- I did love the themeing and the grounds - very pretty and some nice touches. My kids do prefer the pool area to the POFQ but not POR.
- Did not notice any difference in the toiletries ?

POFQ
- I like the fact that it is small and all rooms are close to everything and the boat to DTD and you can use the amenities at POR as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderlustNZ View Post
Interesting you say this. I looked at the position of the preferred rooms and didn't think they looked that preferred either. There are other locations in that resort I would much rather stay.

The reason I thought CSR looked quite nice is due to the following
- the clean, modern decor of the rooms
- the fact that the food court seems to sell a range of spicy foods which we love
- it's location between the four main parks and near Blizzard Beach.
- the fact that the Spanish/Mexican theming is quite different to anything we'd find at home.
- and the fact that I read somewhere that the toiletries and linen are a bit nicer than other moderates due to the business crowd that the resort attracts. (Would love to know if this is true)

The reason I like the look of POR is the lush greenery of the grounds and the boat to DTD. The alligator rooms look great, but I don't like the look of the Princess rooms (I'd find the decor too busy and my husband and son would find it all to feminine).

For some reason I'd eliminated POFQ, but now that two people have mentioned it I'll have to go back and re-look.
__________________

TJ
tjmw2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #39
tjmw2727
Enjoys "mom and me" trips
May just have to dance!
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 9,133

Not familiar with the POR and murphy beds but I wanted to give my opinion on booking a package vs room only.

Peronally I always book room only because you can change or cancel without penalty until 7 days prior and there is no pre-payment requirement. You are not required to purchase tickets so you can shop for those separately (I like undercover tourist). Make sure you book a resort you will be happy with at a price your are comfortable with to start. You probably won't be able to "change it" to a discounted room or a package but you can cancel and re-book.

Then- if a room only discount comes up you can re-book, it may mean changing resorts depending on availablility but you can cancel your room only and re-book at a discount.

If a free dining or other good package discount comes up you can also cancel your oom only and re-book that package. Again it may mean a different choice in resorts but it may be worth it. Once you book a package you will be required to purchase tickets, be held to a payment plan and a 45 day window for cancellations and changes.

To tell the truth a package rarely saves our family money so you have to do the math. The above plans gives me the most flexibility in planning !


Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderlustNZ View Post
Thanks so much to all of you for the info on the mattresses. Comfortable, but on the firm side sounds perfect. We'd hate rock hard beds, but even worse would be ultra soft ones that sag in the middle.


snip

3. Lastly, if I book a room now as 'room only', how easy is it to change it later on to a package?

Thanks everyone! You help so far has been much appreciated.
__________________

TJ
tjmw2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #40
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran
 
WanderlustNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 2,280

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboysmom View Post
Hi again OP. When we stayed at CSR this past June we were upgraded to a preferred water view room. No way would I pay extra for the water view and I likely wouldn't pay for preferred at CSR either. The water view was pretty but to see it you have to have your curtains open in your room and sit by the window. Nobody really does that, at least not us. We usually had our curtains closed for privacy because people are walking in front of your room all day. I like water views when I have a balcony but not like what a water view at a moderate offers.
That was my thoughts. Like you say, with no balcony, there just doesn't seem to be much value in the water view rooms.

Thanks for your advice.
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:56 PM   #41
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran
 
WanderlustNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 2,280

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmw2727 View Post
Not familiar with the POR and murphy beds but I wanted to give my opinion on booking a package vs room only.

Peronally I always book room only because you can change or cancel without penalty until 7 days prior and there is no pre-payment requirement. You are not required to purchase tickets so you can shop for those separately (I like undercover tourist). Make sure you book a resort you will be happy with at a price your are comfortable with to start. You probably won't be able to "change it" to a discounted room or a package but you can cancel and re-book.

Then- if a room only discount comes up you can re-book, it may mean changing resorts depending on availablility but you can cancel your room only and re-book at a discount.

If a free dining or other good package discount comes up you can also cancel your oom only and re-book that package. Again it may mean a different choice in resorts but it may be worth it. Once you book a package you will be required to purchase tickets, be held to a payment plan and a 45 day window for cancellations and changes.

To tell the truth a package rarely saves our family money so you have to do the math. The above plans gives me the most flexibility in planning !
Thanks so much for taking the time to give me such a detailed response.

Do you know if you can cancel and rebook via the internet or if you need to ring Disney instead? It's a bit of a toll call for me if I have to do this.

Also, does having a TA make all these changes to the booking easier? I am presently waiting to hear back from Dreams Unlimited about the pros of switching my cruise booking to them. If it's going to make all this planning easier, I'll also consider making the resort booking with them also.
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #42
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran
 
WanderlustNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 2,280

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemnerd09 View Post
I haven't done this personally, but I have heard that adding a package on later can be difficult. There was a thread earlier from someone asking about the same thing, and most of the responses said to book the package first instead of later. I wish I could remember the name of that thread.
That rings a vague bell with me also. I also can't remember though where I read it.
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #43
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran
 
WanderlustNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 2,280

Thank you so much everyone for your thoughts and advice.
You've given me heaps to ponder.
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:05 AM   #44
chemnerd09
Mouseketeer
 
chemnerd09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 405

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboysmom View Post
Hi again OP. When we stayed at CSR this past June we were upgraded to a preferred water view room. No way would I pay extra for the water view and I likely wouldn't pay for preferred at CSR either. The water view was pretty but to see it you have to have your curtains open in your room and sit by the window. Nobody really does that, at least not us. We usually had our curtains closed for privacy because people are walking in front of your room all day. I like water views when I have a balcony but not like what a water view at a moderate offers.
I've actually done that when we stayed at CSR. Maybe I'm just a bit odd. We had a room on the corner on the first floor, so I could look out more than one window. It was nice to relax and watch people go by.
__________________
DVC member since 2013 with 24 years of WDW trips and counting
Next Trip: WL/BWV/CR Atrium/Dream/CR Atrium

chemnerd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #45
tiki23
Able to leap a double stroller in a single *splat*
A hot glue gun was my best friend
 
tiki23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Des Moines WA
Posts: 2,883

I really enjoyed my stay at POFQ - loved the look and size of the resort.

I've stayed at 3 different Values - Pop, All Star Music and Art of Animation. I've never had a problem with the comfort of the bed, but the size is definitely an issue. On the one trip where DH and I had to share a bed, we didn't get much sleep.

But if you are looking to save some $$ for more fun, I agree with a PP; bring an airbed for your son and stay at a Value.
__________________
1st Trip! 11/06 POP~ Christmas Time W/Mom 12/07 POP~ Just Me DL 3/08~ Mom-Son 8/08 POP~Fam & Friends 10/08 DLR~Reunion 9/09 ASMU~Sisters! 9/10 POFQ~ 3/11 w/DD's choir ASMu~ 5/12 EE Challenge w/Sis POP ~w/DH 9/12 AoA~ ToT Run/Reunion 10/13 POP! ~ ASP w/Sis Princess Wknd 2/14 DLand Half Marathon 8/14 11/14 Avenger Half Marathon
tiki23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: