Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #31
labattblue
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
It's presumptuous to use a business's own electric outlets, in place for its own use, to recharge phones the users choose to allow to run low; especially when foreknowledge (battery life plus non-telephone features) and planning (charging cases, extra batteries, etc.) so easily lets phone owners be in control.

It's not as if the outlets are there for guest usage. Even you refer to them as secret.
Seriously?
labattblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:22 PM   #32
Senator Tressel
DIS Veteran

I don't understand how you can run out of battery by lunch.
Senator Tressel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #33
stindall
Congress Tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Tressel View Post
I don't understand how you can run out of battery by lunch.
I don't either. I have an iphone 4 and the battery lasts a good while. I play a lot of games on it and even then it doesn't drain that quickly.

Oh god there's the yeti! - The Trip Report!.

- Sept 2008 Honeymoon @ Pop - Dec. 2009 surprise for dad @ Pop -
Sept. 2013 First solo trip @ Pop
- Sept. 2014 brother/sister trip @ pop!- Aug. 2015 DL @ Stanford Inn & Suites -

stindall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #34
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by labattblue View Post
Seriously?
I am quite sure that particular poster is completely serious.

Last edited by Allison; 11-17-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #35
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xipotec View Post
I need my phone to post to DIS
Cute
Old 11-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #36
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by labattblue View Post
Once again the high and mighty have entered a dis thread. It is no one's business why me or anyone else chooses to use their phone frequently(to the point where some are sharing some potential spots to charge them) while on vacation.

I thank the OP for pointing out a potential charging spot, and no I will not disclose what I use my phone for in the parks or anywhere else on vacation.

Would it be possible to have a thread where people disagree on an action without using any supercilious terminology?

Not my business what people do with their phones. Just, again, it's presumptuous for people who run down the battery one or more times during a day, to expect a business to provide a means - openly or via "shared secret" electric outlet locations - to recharge the device.

As described in this thread, there are charging cases available; bringing additional charged batteries is another option. A person's failure to plan shouldn't constitute an emergency on the part of the business.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:21 PM   #37
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr
That's a want, not a need. Waiting to post to any online forum until the phone owner is in a non-public location (home, hotel room, work if employer-permitted) and instead using the phone as simply a phone, eliminates or severely reduces the need to find a public outlet to recharge.
True, meh if my phone dies in park no biggie, but i do believe the future will require business such as WDW to offer this service especially with the new in park apps and the planned FP phone app
Before that too many to list
!

SOME IMAGINATION, HUH??? - Mickey Mouse
xipotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #38
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts

Quote:
It's presumptuous to use a business's own electric outlets, in place for its own use, to recharge phones the users choose to allow to run low; especially when foreknowledge (battery life plus non-telephone features) and planning (charging cases, extra batteries, etc.) so easily lets phone owners be in control.

It's not as if the outlets are there for guest usage. Even you refer to them as secret.
Wow guess i should stop using my electric razor , hair dryer , etc.
Before that too many to list
!

SOME IMAGINATION, HUH??? - Mickey Mouse
xipotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #39
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGal View Post
I know what you mean about needing to charge your phone. I use only my iPhone for pics and it really drains the battery. Now I carry two battery pack cases so I never have to worry about finding a charging station or an outlet. The case like best is the Mophie (around $70 at Target).
If you need two battery packs, you are purchasing the wrong spare battery. My extra battery pack fully charges my phone two times plus, on only one charge. I use my phone at Disney for lots of things too: GPS while driving, dining research and last minute reservations in-park, pictures and videos, calculator, note-taker, texts, etc. I have never used up the entire charge on my backup, regardless of all that I do on the phone during a day at Disney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
Would it be possible to have a thread where people disagree on an action without using any supercilious terminology?

Not my business what people do with their phones. Just, again, it's presumptuous for people who run down the battery one or more times during a day, to expect a business to provide a means - openly or via "shared secret" electric outlet locations - to recharge the device.

As described in this thread, there are charging cases available; bringing additional charged batteries is another option. A person's failure to plan shouldn't constitute an emergency on the part of the business.
Is there really an emergency here? If one or two (or even a thousand) people look to charge their phones in the park, how is this an emergency?

Further, we're talking about DISNEY. You know, the people who throw massive expensive fireworks every night, who shovel candy into people's bags at Halloween parties, who give away a cookie here, a free meal there, a balloon on Main Street, the people who replace a sad girl's lost Pooh bear for free. They'll comp you a night at your hotel if the concierge even looks at you crooked. Those aren't emergencies either. Do you really really REALLY think there's a problem here, with the tiny little amount of electricity OPs are using? I guess they should crack down on people charging their phones in their rooms?

Good grief, now I've heard everything.

For the record, I sat at AKL and watched the animals frolicking; I had my phone plugged in right next to me as I sat outside. I was heading home that day, and wanted the charge for the GPS to the airport, and for my in-flight movie (had my backup, but figured it would be great to start out with a full charge). I talked with several cast members while I rocked away, and never once was one word said.
ZehnJahren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #40
NMDisneyFan
Earning My Ears

Quote:

Supercilious... Kind of like you using the word "presumptuous."

If it's not your business what people do with their phones, then why are you posting here?
NMDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #41
rznhal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashoreCM View Post
A future Disney concession stand? Little individually lockable cages with power receptacles to recharge cell phones, etc. Rent one, take the key, then come back later for your phone. Or have a separate charger and spare battery to leave in the cage while you keep your phone. Maybe different sizes for laptop, iPad, cell phone, Game Boy, etc.

Useful accessory: A 3 prong to 2 prong adapter. Use as a standoff or extension in case the receptacle is recessed in the wall or floor and your charger block (wall wart) won't fit.
You are a genius!!!!!!

me, DH, DD6, DS2
1988-Grand Floridian, 1993-offsite, 1994-offsite
2002-DTD and Disney Cruise Honeymoon
2005-offsite, 2009-POP, 2011-CSR
2012-Adults only Graduation Trip-AKL
2013-AKL again!
rznhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #42
Burnedout
Proud mom of a marine recruit:)

Zehnjaren, could you tell me which charger you use? My stinks! I can easily drain my battery in a morning taking photos.

There are outdoor outlets in Norway and morocco. I asked several staff and everyone always said it was fine.

It is what it is.

Burnedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #43
rznhal
DIS Veteran

On the issue of battery drainage....

I wonder if as a phone gets older the battery drains quicker?

Also, if the phone is damaged or not working properly (just got rid of my iPhone 4....battery was draining....found out some apps were not really "closing" even after I closed them.....caused my battery to drain like crazy)

Another phone I damaged (I'm BRUTAL on phones) messed up the ability to get a signal, so when I went anywhere where the signal wasn't really strong, my phone would "search" for a signal, draining the battery.

Also, I regularly forget to plug in my phone at night, so it needs charged during the day

Happy Charging to EVERYONE!!!!!

me, DH, DD6, DS2
1988-Grand Floridian, 1993-offsite, 1994-offsite
2002-DTD and Disney Cruise Honeymoon
2005-offsite, 2009-POP, 2011-CSR
2012-Adults only Graduation Trip-AKL
2013-AKL again!
rznhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:33 PM   #44
stindall
Congress Tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMDisneyFan

Supercilious... Kind of like you using the word "presumptuous."

If it's not your business what people do with their phones, then why are you posting here?
How is saying something like this any better? You don't have to agree with her.

Oh god there's the yeti! - The Trip Report!.

- Sept 2008 Honeymoon @ Pop - Dec. 2009 surprise for dad @ Pop -
Sept. 2013 First solo trip @ Pop
- Sept. 2014 brother/sister trip @ pop!- Aug. 2015 DL @ Stanford Inn & Suites -

stindall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #45
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xipotec View Post
Wow guess i should stop using my electric razor , hair dryer , etc.
If you're using them inside the parks or in restaurants? Yeah, probably
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: