Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 01:22 AM   #1
Dzhenna
Planner Extraordinaire

Navigator's Veranda with 5YO?

We just got our room assignment for our cruise in 3 weeks and I'm a bit in doubt. We have a room with a Navigator's Veranda. We have a 5YO-- who is tall for her age (~4 ft), but not tall enough to see over the balcony. I'm concerned she will either (1) not be able to see anything or (2) will want to crawl on chairs or the bench to see out. Does anyone have experience with this scenario that they can share-- good or bad?
Dzhenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:54 AM   #2
shburks
DIS Veteran

Delete. (Sorry...inadvertently hit reply!)

DCL: Fantasy: December 2014 * Magic: January 2014 * Fantasy: October 2013 * Dream: January 2013 * Fantasy: August 2012
WDW: Beach Club Apr 2014 * Coronado Springs Oct 2013 * Boardwalk Sept 2013 * Animal Kingdom Lodge July 2013 * PO French Quarter (Jan 2013, Apr 2014) * Pop Century (Aug 2012, Dec 2009) * Wilderness Lodge (Sept, 2013, Oct 2011, Sept 2010), ASMo Dec 2003, off property: 1990, 1988, 1985
Disney's Vero Beach Resort: July 2013
shburks is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-17-2012, 03:48 AM   #3
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

The veranda doors are so heavy I doubt a 5-yr-old could open one. Also, she'll be so busy at the kids' clubs, she probably won't spend much time in your stateroom, other than to sleep.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:49 AM   #4
owensamo
DIS Veteran

My in-laws had a Navigator's Veranda on our first cruise when DD was 4-turning-5. DD was tiny for her age at the time. We had an inside stateroom, but we did spend some time on the in-laws' veranda. DD was never out there without an adult. She was too short to see out without standing on something (a chair or the bench) but since she was never out there alone, it wasn't an issue - we just made sure to hold on to her. However, at that age watching the ocean go by wasn't a big draw - when in the room, she preferred coloring or playing with her few toys but most of the time she preferred being in the kid's clubs!

My recommendation would be not to stress over it. DCL hasn't lost any children overboard as far as I know. Just keep an eye or a hand on her out on the balcony and you should be fine. And have a great cruise!
owensamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:37 AM   #5
MAJPLO
DIS Veteran

Oops. Hard time editing this morning. Sorry!

Last edited by MAJPLO; 11-17-2012 at 07:45 AM.
MAJPLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:41 AM   #6
MAJPLO
DIS Veteran

We had a regular veranda when we cruised with our then 4yo DS and 2 1/2yo DD. I was super worried about them on the veranda but they were never out there by themselves. I know what you mean about not being able to see through the bottom of the navigator's but I think if you don't make too big a deal of watching then she probably wont notice what she's missing all that much.

I am pretty sure I've read that you can have the furniture removed from the veranda if you just let the stateroom host know. We did not have that done, but it is an option at any time if you find it becomes necessary.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #7
Scillycruisers
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzhenna
We just got our room assignment for our cruise in 3 weeks and I'm a bit in doubt. We have a room with a Navigator's Veranda. We have a 5YO-- who is tall for her age (~4 ft), but not tall enough to see over the balcony. I'm concerned she will either (1) not be able to see anything or (2) will want to crawl on chairs or the bench to see out. Does anyone have experience with this scenario that they can share-- good or bad?
We had a white wall veranda on our 1st cruise with DS then 4.he couldn't see over without standing on a chair, so was told to ask if he wanted to see out and we would hold him. He stuck to this rule and did not go on the veranda alone, so no problem. The doors are really heavy and there is a high lock so kids cannot open them without your help, so no chance of getting out unless you open it.

Since then we have gone for the clear verandas, but as much for us to see while seated as for DS to look out unaided. He is still not allowed on the veranda unsupervised.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:14 AM   #8
Dzhenna
Planner Extraordinaire

Thanks everyone! We had a clear balcony the last time and she had a great time looking out (in 2-3 minute bursts). But, it's certainly not a deal breaker for her. I've just got to calm down and go with the flow-- good point about them never losing a kid overboard. :-)
Old 11-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #9
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzhenna
I had a navigator's verandah for a 2 week cruise. It worked out well. When my son wanted to see I let him kneel on the bench and look out. He's not one to sit out there and stare at the ocean so it worked perfectly for when he just wanted to come out and take a quick peek at the waves. We've had a clear plexiglass too and that's all he did with it then too.

I personally loved my navigator's verandah. I loved the bench and if I sat there I could see the ocean just fine. I'd prop my legs up in the chair and and enjoyed it immensely. We went to Hawaii and a couple of days were very windy on deck. Not on my verandah though. It provided great protection from the wind. It's the verandah cat I'll always book from now on.

ETA: my son was 5 on both cruises and I never let him out there alone.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 11-17-2012 at 10:18 AM.
luv2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #10
Dzhenna
Planner Extraordinaire

Thanks L2S-- that's what I was also thinking as well. I burn if I even think about the sun, so I was thinking that it's also a nice way to get some fresh air without getting crispy. :-)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: