Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #16
npmommie
Channels George Michael in her car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtemm View Post
we did a day trip with our kids to NYC last christmas. we started in times square but really just took in the sites, went to the disney store, went into TRU but opted not to ride the ferris wheel (loooong wait), went into the M&M store and let them pick out some goodies. Headed up to see the tree at rockefeller, which was crazy crowded but ok at that point, and checked out american girl store, spent a little time in central park so the kids could run free for a bit. They had so much fun just doing the little that we did!

When it was getting dark as we headed back down past the tree hoping to see it all lit up this time and that is when it got scary. really scary. as in, I never want to do that again scary. there was a crush of people like nothing I have ever experienced...I have no doubt I left bruises on my kids hands I was holding on to them so tightly. There was about 20 minutes near magnolia bakery where we were at a dead standstill because noone could move at all...there were that many people. scary scary scary.

Have never been so happy to get out of that crush, and back to times square where we were able to breathe easier and spread out a bit. which is funny to say because normally I consider times square to be crowded, but not this time, at least not comparably, lol.

we had thought about doing macy's and a few more things, but ended up getting dinner and then heading back home. It was a GREAT day, and I'm looking forward to taking the kids back this year if we can find the time to do it.

have a great time!!!!
mtemm, I see you are in MA , did you drive into the city or did you take the train down?
we want to do this around the holidays, and thought about driving as far as connecticut and taking the train, from maybe Stamford. not sure.

I would drive into the city, I just don't know where I would put the car. so not a city person here, LOL
npmommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #17
mtemm
Doubly blessed
Ever just have one of those days?
I occasionally make a split breast for dh

We drove. We find driving to/around NYC to be really easy. We did some googling and found a coupon for a parking garage near times square for cheaper than parking for the day in Boston!
mtemm is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #18
npmommie
Channels George Michael in her car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtemm View Post
We drove. We find driving to/around NYC to be really easy. We did some googling and found a coupon for a parking garage near times square for cheaper than parking for the day in Boston!
thanks for responding! I drive around Boston without a second thought, crazy streets and all, LOL!
maybe we will just drive in, seems less complicated.
npmommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #19
TLHB70
Let me be known by the Company I keep, eclipsed by YOUR presence that I may decrease
I really like a lot of the music they play out around the park

We are going to be in NYC next week. We fly in Tuesday and out on Saturday. So far our plans include the 9/11 Memorial on Tuesday evening, the sightseeing bus tour on Wednesday and Friday (to see all of the major sites), Macy's Parade on Thursday, and Radio City Christmas show Thursday night. Our hotel is in Times Square. On the Macy's Parade day we plan to spend time in Central Park when it is over. The sightseeing, double decker bus will take us to the typical tourist spots - Empire State Building,ferry to Statue of Liberty, etc. We do want to eat at Ellen's. We do want to go to Macy's to see Santa and the display. I did not know about Dylan's or Serendipity. I will add that to my list. Oh.......is Serendipity that ice cream place that the movie is named after? I love the movie Serendipity! Isn't that also the name of the little ice cream place they eat at? Is that in NYC?
Old 11-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #20
FozzieFan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLHB70 View Post
We are going to be in NYC next week. We fly in Tuesday and out on Saturday. So far our plans include the 9/11 Memorial on Tuesday evening, the sightseeing bus tour on Wednesday and Friday (to see all of the major sites), Macy's Parade on Thursday, and Radio City Christmas show Thursday night. Our hotel is in Times Square. On the Macy's Parade day we plan to spend time in Central Park when it is over. The sightseeing, double decker bus will take us to the typical tourist spots - Empire State Building,ferry to Statue of Liberty, etc. We do want to eat at Ellen's. We do want to go to Macy's to see Santa and the display. I did not know about Dylan's or Serendipity. I will add that to my list. Oh.......is Serendipity that ice cream place that the movie is named after? I love the movie Serendipity! Isn't that also the name of the little ice cream place they eat at? Is that in NYC?
Serendipity III (don't get confused there's only one) is the place they eat at in the movie. It's ok but nothing I'd go out of my way for.

Just so you know, the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island are closed until further notice because of damage from Sandy so don't plan on seeing them on this trip as the ferries aren't running.
FozzieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #21
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Do you have tickets for the memorial?

Why in the world are you taking the bus thing not only once but apparently for two days? You're going to spend two days sitting in traffic just endlessly. Endlessly.

If you want to see sights, just go see them; take the train or walk around.I mean your hotel is in TS, just walk over to the Empire State some night. It's right there. I wouldn't go to Dylan's, it's a giant tourist trap of expensive as heck candy. There are a bajillion candy places.

As above, the ice cream is Serendipity III, it's been in many, many movies, yes. It's great, it's got a line an hour or more long but get the frozen hot chocolate if you end up going.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:30 PM   #22
mefordis
Imitation: the sincerest form of flattery

Quote:
Originally Posted by FozzieFan View Post
Serendipity III (don't get confused there's only one) is the place they eat at in the movie. It's ok but nothing I'd go out of my way for.

Just so you know, the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island are closed until further notice because of damage from Sandy so don't plan on seeing them on this trip as the ferries aren't running.
Went there yesterday and I agree - no need to go back. Crowded and average food.

Oct 2013 Boardwalk Villas
Aug 2010 Wilderness Lodge
May 2009 DLR Grand Californian
April 2008 POFQ
Aug 2007 - Condo
May 2007 Yacht Club
Sept 2006 CSR/POR
mefordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #23
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefordis View Post
Went there yesterday and I agree - no need to go back. Crowded and average food.
You're not supposed to eat the food, silly!
Old 11-17-2012, 03:54 PM   #24
mathmagic
Mouseketeer

My family is also going to NYC for thanksgiving, but we have no idea where to eat on Thanksgiving day. On any other day, we would just go to 9th in midtown and try someplace. But I don't know if anyplace will be open on Thanksgiving, if it essential to have a reservation, or if there will only be $100 per person types of menus offered that day. Any suggestions for a place to eat that day? Or even just a general strategy?
mathmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #25
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmagic View Post
My family is also going to NYC for thanksgiving, but we have no idea where to eat on Thanksgiving day. On any other day, we would just go to 9th in midtown and try someplace. But I don't know if anyplace will be open on Thanksgiving, if it essential to have a reservation, or if there will only be $100 per person types of menus offered that day. Any suggestions for a place to eat that day? Or even just a general strategy?
Lots of places will be open. Some only part of the day, but those are more the places they think won't get a crowd - like my fave Mexican place is closing at 4 or whatever I think (there's a sign in the window). There are others in the neighbourhood that serve closer to the traditional Thanksgiving thing that I know will be open because they have special menus in the window.

Most hotel restaurants, general non-very-specificfood type places (except Chinese, which are always open), tons of pubs, etc., will all be open.

Most of the places aren't going to upprice too much. A place with $25 entrees might do a $50 prie fixe. A very nice place will be more.

If you like wandering around midtown I think you'll be fine, though you might try more toward 7th, which tends toward more 'traditional.' Also neighbourhoods will have plenty of neighbourhood places open, with traditional food. Pick a nice neighbourhood to wander if you like.

If you want to be really 'safe' and traditional, hit a hotel restaurant. Generally they tend toward the more expensive end but if you avoid like, Daniel, you can find something.

There's plenty - tons of people here go out and lots of people host others who go out and there are a metric ton of tourists for Thanksgiving who go out.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:20 AM   #26
TLHB70
Let me be known by the Company I keep, eclipsed by YOUR presence that I may decrease

Quote:
Originally Posted by FozzieFan View Post

Thank you so much for this information. Maybe we can make a trip back another day to see Statue of Liberty.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:25 AM   #27
TLHB70

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
Do you have tickets for the memorial?

Why in the world are you taking the bus thing not only once but apparently for two days? You're going to spend two days sitting in traffic just endlessly. Endlessly.

If you want to see sights, just go see them; take the train or walk around.I mean your hotel is in TS, just walk over to the Empire State some night. It's right there. I wouldn't go to Dylan's, it's a giant tourist trap of expensive as heck candy. There are a bajillion candy places.

As above, the ice cream is Serendipity III, it's been in many, many movies, yes. It's great, it's got a line an hour or more long but get the frozen hot chocolate if you end up going.
Yes, we have tickets to the memorial. I ordered them over a month ago.
DH has had three ACL surgeries on the same knee. Then, over the summer, I had knee issues with my patella popping on and off track. Therefore he and I both would prefer to take taxis or subway or bus rather than walk when they are an option. We know we will will be walking when needed; we are both packing our knee braces. However, we thought the bus would be better and cheaper than taxis and make riding a good option over walking to/from some places. We do realize we will be walking a lot. We just thought the bus would help alleviate a bit of it. We have counted on the bus for Wednesday. Then we will know if it is needed for Friday or not. Friday is not a definite for the bus, but we will set that day aside for it if we need it.
Thank you for the information on Dylans and Serendipity. We will run into them if we pass them and have time, but we will not put a priority on them.
Thank you so much for your helpful information. I am looking forward to our trip!

Last edited by TLHB70; 11-19-2012 at 07:31 AM.
TLHB70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:30 AM   #28
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you so much for this information. Maybe we can make a trip back another day to see Statue of Liberty.
Unless you're very into the Statue, I always advise tourists to skip the trip to it.

If you'd like to just see it a bit closer (and take a nice boat ride), take the Staten Island Ferry - which is currently up and running fine.

It's a half hour each way, you just get off on the other side and reboard the next boat, it's free, it's fun and you can see the Statue better and get a really beautiful view of the southern tip of the island and the B'klyn and Manhattan bridges and etc. It's very pretty if you go so you hit dusk/dark going one way.

Docking is also fun - stand outside.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:32 AM   #29
TLHB70

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
Unless you're very into the Statue, I always advise tourists to skip the trip to it.

If you'd like to just see it a bit closer (and take a nice boat ride), take the Staten Island Ferry - which is currently up and running fine.

It's a half hour each way, you just get off on the other side and reboard the next boat, it's free, it's fun and you can see the Statue better and get a really beautiful view of the southern tip of the island and the B'klyn and Manhattan bridges and etc. It's very pretty if you go so you hit dusk/dark going one way.

Docking is also fun - stand outside.
Oh, thank you. This will be perfect! DH looked at a harbor cruise online when I told him the Statue was closed, but this will be a cheaper option!
Old 11-19-2012, 07:39 AM   #30
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes, we have tickets to the memorial. I ordered them over a month ago.
DH has had three ACL surgeries on the same knee. Then, over the summer, I had knee issues with my patella popping on and off track. Therefore he and I both would prefer to take taxis or subway or bus rather than walk when they are an option. We know we will will be walking when needed; we are both packing our knee braces. However, we thought the bus would be better and cheaper than taxis and make riding a good option over walking to/from some places. We do realize we will be walking a lot. We just thought the bus would help alleviate a bit of it. We have counted on the bus for Wednesday. Then we will know if it is needed for Friday or not. Friday is not a definite for the bus, but we will set that day aside for it if we need it.
Thank you for the information on Dylans and Serendipity. We will run into them if we pass them and have time, but we will not put a priority on them.
Thank you so much for your helpful information. I am looking forward to our trip!
This is a common misconception about those buses - they're NOT a way to get around. At all.

They're just a way to sit in traffic and pay a lot of money to do so, honestly. If you're not up for walking, for sure take cabs or the train or buses, but try the regular City buses, not the tour buse. You'll just stand at stops forever waiting for them (and then I've heard people say they come by but are too crowded so they have to stand and wait and wait and wait for another) and then sit in traffic some more on them.

Get metrocards and hit the regular buses and trains, you'll get everyplace you want to go, and much faster.

Also, if you want to have like a 'tour', do something like take a bus to a farther destination, like take a bus to get the Ferry, or take the bus up to Ft. Tryon Park and go to the Cloisters (great, Medieval things museum up in a lovely park at the top tip of Manhattan). Or take a bus up one ave, go crosstown on another bus across the Park and then take another back down - transfers are free in general and those buses come often and have their own lanes and such. Still longer than it'd be on the train but faster than the tour things and way cheaper.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: