Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-16-2012, 10:19 PM   #10
DenverVal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by believinthemagic View Post
Question for runners & those with more fitness experience than me

I have never been a runner but I have always said I wanted to do a 5k. Well, we will be on CC in January & I'd love to try it. My question is, is an elliptical helpful at all for training to run? I'm going to attempt to do a C25K that is 9 weeks. And hopefully I can get through it in time. But sometimes with three kids its hard to get outside and the elliptical is what I do. I usually do 30 minutes on the elliptical.

If that's what I'm used to doing, will running a 5k be way harder & different. Or if I mostly use the elliptical & don't get a chance to do much running, do u think I have a chance of completing it? Not so worried about time, as much as just having the endurance to finish. Thanks!
Running on an elliptical or a treadmill is different than running on the ground; there is less resistance on the machines. The treadmill is closer to pavement than the elliptical, but yes, working out on an elliptical or treadmill is a "step in the right direction". Aim for more than a casual walk effort. I would recommend that you get out and walk or jog a few miles on pavement or trail once or twice a week so you get used to it. Put the kids in a stroller or a wagon, or have them accompany you on their bikes, make it a family activity.

Walking at 3.5 miles per hour will have you finishing in about 53 minutes. Walking at 4 miles per hour, pretty brisk but still walking, will have you finishing in 46 minutes. If you jog a bit as well, you'll finish in less time. Songs that have a 4 mph beat include Glad You Came (The Wanted), What Makes You Beautiful (One Direction), Call Me Maybe (Carly Rae Jepsen), Last Friday Night (I like the Glee version) Tonight, Tonight (Hot Chelle Rae), Firework (Katy Perry), Ice Ice Baby (Vanilla Ice), Bust A Move (Glee again), Don't Stop Believin' (Journey), etc. If you have a tween girl, she'll be happy with the choice of music. Well, maybe not all of it.

If you have a smart phone, download one of the running apps - I use Nike running - and it will keep track of your pace, your route, and your distance. Just have fun. You will finish.

WDW: 12/01 12/02 8/03 11/05 11/06 11/07 10/09 3/10 1/13 DL: 6/05 3/06 6/06 6/07 7/08
DCL: Magic 4/24/04, 8/20/05, 10/10/09, 7/15/12, 6/27/13 Dream 2/3/11, 12/29/11 Wonder 6/21/11 Fantasy 1/4/14 NCL: POAm 8/9/08

Last edited by DenverVal; 11-16-2012 at 11:20 PM.
DenverVal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: