Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #31
TheRustyScupper
Coordinator: GKTW. Volunteer: Kiwanis & SCORE. Board Member: Make-A-Wish. Average Banjo Picker. Pretty Good Sailing Captain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherandnick View Post
. . . Wouldn't it be a great idea if signature (and only signature) restaurants allowed no children under 10 years old at any ADRs past 7pm? . . .

1) OMG !!!
2) Were you reading my mind?
3) Kids are OK, but so many parents do not make them behave.
4) When spending $50-to $100/person, a pleasant environment would be nice.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #32
one2admire
Mouseketeer

I'd be opposed to your idea but you have a valid point. Why penalize those of us with well-mannered kids though? We always use the dxdp, therefore we do majority signatures. We've had 1 or 2 7:30/7:50 pm ADRs due to last minute changes and they turned out to be great meals due to the timing of fireworks. Even IF my kids were to act out, I have no problems removing them from the restaurant.

I personally feel people should be a bit more considerate or the servers should be able to address the situation. I like the 2-top only designated seating area suggestion.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2012, 06:29 PM   #33
AlohaAnnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala
. At WDW it's going to happen because the parents want to squeeze every last drop out of the vacation and aren't thinking realistically that the kiddies should be in bed. .".

I agree, we have done this ourselves. At WDW & in every day life. Our first stay at WDW we pushed our DD who was 4 at the time at MK all day from opening to closing. I thought she was ok until she had a breakdown when we were leaving after Wishes. I am so glad we were not at a restaurant. But since we did not have a car and had to rely on bus transportation I was very difficult to get back to our room. It took 4 buses and a trip to the bathroom before we left. So embarrassing & I am sure we scared a few couples into not having children at all!

That being said, it was not intentional. We did learn from that day & for the rest of the vacation we took it easy & we have been careful for all other trips. Parenting learning curve for us.

Whenever I see those families at WDW, I think of our past situation and I realize that WDW trips are exhausting for all. I did not realize the enormity of Disney World having never been to Disney World.

We did always remove our children when they were throwing a fit to a private area. We still do when one is available. Usually the bathroom, outside, or a hallway. I don't want to judge someone else's parenting style. So please do not think that I am. Just my thoughts that are not meant to imply or offend anyone. Thank You!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

POR June 2006 POP May/June 2008 CBR Pirate Room & BC May/June 2009 Vero Beach & CSR & AKV Kidani May/June 2010 BLT Oct 2010 BWV March/April 2011 AKV Kidani Dec 2011 BCV/BLT June 2013
WL CL & AKV - Jambo Studio CL March/April2014 AKV Kidani June 2016

June 2013 Dining Report PTR Spring Break 2014
Old 11-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #34
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

I think Disney should be more proactive in speaking up to disruptive guests (whether to the family with the shrieking toddler or the rather foul-mouthed table of tipsy adults that we encountered one night at Narcoosees). That addresses the problem of a more pleasant dining environment without penalizing those of us who have children who can behave in and enjoy nicer restaurants.

I don't think there should be a policy of excluding children from signature dining, regardless of the time of evening. Some kids are used to eating later and others are traveling from time zones where late in FL is still early to them. Even if they did have such a policy it wouldn't address your complaint about kids sleeping in the booth at 9:30 - a 7pm ADR with a wait for a table and a typical 2+ hour signature meal means there would be kids in the dining room until 9:30 on a regular basis.

The idea of a "no kids" seating area has merit, though, particularly at restaurants like The California Grill that already have a separate or semi-separate area that could be converted to mostly/all 2-tops and designated for adults. However, from Disney's perspective, the idea isn't likely to fly because it restricts how tables can be turned and how cancellations can be filled. They aren't going to accept empty tables while turning away guests because the openings are in the adult area and the people wanting to dine there have children; running at capacity is more profitable.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #35
meredith1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom View Post
I'm not in favor of the rule OP proposes. We are repeat AP holders, visit several times per year, and book multiple signatures per trip. We've seen many children in signatures, and haven't had a negative experience yet. We've seen kids with electronics (which we don't permit at the table and our boys don't request) but that's about it. Perhaps we've just been really fortunate.

Our boys are ages 13, 12 and 5, and at home, we eat between 7pm and 7:30pm. Between homework and activities, we have the choice of eating early separately or eating late together, and we choose to eat late together. At Disney, our reservations are usually at 7pm or 7:30pm - our typical dinnertime.

While the kids and I love Disney, and my husband is wonderful to accomodate us, I think it would be difficult for him to stay with the program if Disney restricted our signature dining opportunities. (I entirely get V&A - nice to have that option available - just wouldn't want to extend it.) One of our favorite things about Disney is the variety of restaurants with interesting menus and a nice selection of wine and the ability to enjoy that with our kids.

Yes, our 5-year-old might fall asleep on my lap while my husband, older boys and I finish our dinner and enjoy talking, but I'm not sure why that would bother others. He's certainly never kicked anyone while sleeping, and a few times when we got up to leave, other diners are surprised to see that there was a 5th person in our party. If he raised his voice above appropriate levels or did anything that could possibly interfere with others' enjoyment of their meal, one of us would take a walk outside with him right away.

At the end of family vacations, whether it's WDW, NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, LA, Seattle, etc., we've all agreed that some of our most memorable times are meals together. All of our boys LOVE dinners at WDW, including signature restaurants. So I'm glad that we can continue to enjoy that experience with them at our typical dinner hour, and I'm really glad that Disney doesn't restrict those opportunities.
Where is the "like" button when you need it?

DD 5 yrs twin DD & DS 3 yrs
Old 11-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #36
AlohaAnnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom
I'm not in favor of the rule OP proposes. We are repeat AP holders, visit several times per year, and book multiple signatures per trip. We've seen many children in signatures, and haven't had a negative experience yet. We've seen kids with electronics (which we don't permit at the table and our boys don't request) but that's about it. Perhaps we've just been really fortunate.

Our boys are ages 13, 12 and 5, and at home, we eat between 7pm and 7:30pm. Between homework and activities, we have the choice of eating early separately or eating late together, and we choose to eat late together. At Disney, our reservations are usually at 7pm or 7:30pm - our typical dinnertime.

While the kids and I love Disney, and my husband is wonderful to accomodate us, I think it would be difficult for him to stay with the program if Disney restricted our signature dining opportunities. (I entirely get V&A - nice to have that option available - just wouldn't want to extend it.) One of our favorite things about Disney is the variety of restaurants with interesting menus and a nice selection of wine and the ability to enjoy that with our kids.

Yes, our 5-year-old might fall asleep on my lap while my husband, older boys and I finish our dinner and enjoy talking, but I'm not sure why that would bother others. He's certainly never kicked anyone while sleeping, and a few times when we got up to leave, other diners are surprised to see that there was a 5th person in our party. If he raised his voice above appropriate levels or did anything that could possibly interfere with others' enjoyment of their meal, one of us would take a walk outside with him right away.

At the end of family vacations, whether it's WDW, NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, LA, Seattle, etc., we've all agreed that some of our most memorable times are meals together. All of our boys LOVE dinners at WDW, including signature restaurants. So I'm glad that we can continue to enjoy that experience with them at our typical dinner hour, and I'm really glad that Disney doesn't restrict those opportunities.
I have to say I like this also. Hitting my "LIKE BUTTON"!

POR June 2006 POP May/June 2008 CBR Pirate Room & BC May/June 2009 Vero Beach & CSR & AKV Kidani May/June 2010 BLT Oct 2010 BWV March/April 2011 AKV Kidani Dec 2011 BCV/BLT June 2013
WL CL & AKV - Jambo Studio CL March/April2014 AKV Kidani June 2016

June 2013 Dining Report PTR Spring Break 2014
Old 11-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #37
smkohn
Mouseketeer

I really think the idea of adult-only restaurants like the ones on the cruise ships would be great. My boyfriend and I really enjoy our time at Disney World, and I wouldn't mind if one night we could dine somewhere we knew for a fact that there would be no children throwing tantrums, no crying, no yelling, no getting up and running to other tables, or staring you down while they stand on their booth next to yours, just a nice dinner together. I know not every child is like that, but kids are unpredictable. Sometimes you just get one of those kids at a table nearby. There are all kinds of families that enjoy WDW, and some of those families don't have children and would like a night away from children.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #38
Herfnerd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
ok but i don't see why all kids should be banned because some kids (or parents) are rude. if we apply that kind of logic, everyone will be banned.
*Sigh*..... I never said kids should be banned. I merely said that those that allow their children to 'rule the roost' do so because they feel its OK, because they are at Disney.....
Old 11-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #39
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by everythingALICE View Post
A non-breeding section. I love it. Totally on board.
This has my vote as well; problem solved...
Old 11-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #40
freshmanjs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herfnerd View Post
*Sigh*..... I never said kids should be banned. I merely said that those that allow their children to 'rule the roost' do so because they feel its OK, because they are at Disney.....
um...the thread was started to talk about banning kids from signatures after 7pm. since it seems to be the thing to do... *Sigh*
Old 11-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #41
Peaseblossom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwing818 View Post
This has my vote as well; problem solved...
Out of curiosity, what is the equivalent catty nickname for "non-breeders"? Would it be socially acceptable to use, or would that be on the same low level of manners as letting your children misbehave in a formal setting?
Old 11-16-2012, 08:55 PM   #42
2girls4me
DIS Veteran

See, I know my kids would not last until 730 before having dinner. We stick to simple places to sit and eat. I wouldnt bring them to a signature restaurant that late.

And honestly, it's Disney. A theme park. Designed for children.

DH:

DD (3):

DD (6 months):
Old 11-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #43
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaseblossom View Post
Out of curiosity, what is the equivalent catty nickname for "non-breeders"? Would it be socially acceptable to use, or would that be on the same low level of manners as letting your children misbehave in a formal setting?
I believe that on another rather angry back-and-forth thread someone threw out the word DINK (dual-income, no kids)...that seemed to be catty enough to cause some fights if that's what you're in need of
Old 11-16-2012, 10:20 PM   #44
tcufrog
Mouseketeer

Two thoughts:

1. I think it's unacceptable to stay somewhere when your kid is tantruming. The only way for your child to learn that such behavior is unacceptable is to make him or her leave if he or she behaves that badly. I've made my older son leave a birthday party right as they were cutting the birthday cake because he was behaving very badly. When it comes to a restaurant that's what to go boxes are for. I do think that restaurants should be allowed to ask a party to leave immediately if someone in the party, adult or child, is behaving in an extremely disruptive manner. Some of my worst dining experiences have involved being sat next to bachelor/bachelorette parties or large drunks groups of people celebrating a birthday.

2. If you are going to a place known as a family destination you have to expect that kids will be around unless the place is explicitly listed as adults only. My dh and I went to Colonial Williamsburg without the kids last month for our 10 year wedding anniversary. Since it was known as a family destination we weren't bothered when we saw kids somewhere even at more adult restaurants. If we wanted to have a kid free dining experience we went to a bar or made late reservations. If we had wanted to have a kid free experience we would have gone to an adult spa or resort.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #45
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

I love this idea but it won't happen. People would freak out. Even saying "any misbehaving kid needs to leave" is open to too much grey area. I do absolutely think it's well within reason however to try to separate parties with and without children, particularly as the night goes on.

To those who say there's V&A, it's not fair to "punish" (since we're gonna use that word on this thread) adults and say that's the only option. Personally that type of food doesn't appeal to me, and why should someone have to pay those prices and only have "fancy" food as an option, just because they want a quieter environment?

I agree that you don't have to ban kids, but the expected behavior level needs to be raised. If we as adults are tired by 8 walking all that way, I don't get why parents expect their kids to be able to do it with a smile on their face.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: