Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #76
All Things Simba
Can't stop taking photographs!

Totally agree! A downgrade doesn't seem like something Disney would do...aren't they in the "Have a Magical Day" business after all?
8/99-CSR, 1/02-CBR, 2/04-POP, 8/05-DCL Panama Canal Cruise!, 12/07-AKL & POLY for Christmas, 1/09-POFQ & DCL Eastern w/St. Croix!, 10/09 POFQ WDW for Halloween & DCL Halloween Cruise, 4/13-POP Girls trip to WDW for the Epcot F&G Festival!, 10/13-WDW for Halloween and DCL Eastern for niece's wedding on Castaway Cay! 2/14-1st trip to Disneyland!, 1/15-2nd trip to Disneyland.

All Things Simba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #77
Dznypal
DIS Veteran

we had this room on the dream last yr (7006) it was 9A at the time we booked as 9A GTY this was before they reclassified some rooms and while we liked the bigger room the window was a total disappointment

we could see in the room next door 7008 and while the room was smaller the window was as big (or it seemed this way) as the one we had this yr on the famtasy which was an 8C GTY

I hope you havent given up the fight it sounds like you booked a 9A GTY and got a 9D which is a down grade--a rather small one but never the less a down grade

I wouldnt be happy either any new developments
Dznypal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #78
OKraysLoveDisney
Mouseketeer

Looking at the website for Disney Cruise Line there are category 9A available so I wonder why you have not been given this room type? I would call DCL and tell them you can see they have these cabins available for the 12/1/12 cruise. This just doesn't add up to me!

OKraysLoveDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #79
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

I haven't read through all 6 pages (sorry cooking dinner ) but 7006 WAS considered a 9A before the recategorization earlier this year. I know because we booked 7006 deliberately as it is a larger corner OV room simply for the space (and I hate Aft).

DCL recategorized some rooms earlier this year. After the recategorization, our 9A room (which was 7006) was NOT BUMPED UP TO A TRUE 9A. We booked on DVC points and were refunded 2 points for the 9A to 9D downgrade.

You should call and ask for a refund for the difference between a 9A and a 9D. This was in an email sent by DCL a while ago. If you don't have the email, PM me and I can find mine for you to see if I can email it to you as a PDF (redacted as to private info like name/address, etc).

My parents are in 7006 as we speak (11/24 sailing). You will literally be in this room right after they get off!

Hope you have a nice sailing, and maybe they can refund you the difference between a 9A and a 9D.

Last edited by lilpooh108; 11-24-2012 at 08:49 PM.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #80
TChrist05
DIS Veteran

DCL claims they can assign us any stateroom in a category 9--went round and round with them about it and they don't seem to want to budge. I am not disappointed that we are in 7006--from what I hear it is a great large stateroom. I will attempt to deal with a supervisor at the port only to clarify what I believe. My main objection with DCL is they do not take care of the people who have sailed with them so often. They have made a business decision to never upgrade anyone that does not benefit them. If they need your stateroom for someone else they will give you an upgrade. Supervisor told me as well as my wife that they do not upgrade unless you pay for it.

Bottom line is we sail next Saturday and I want to focus on having a good time and not the difference between a category 9 stateroom. Next week at this time we will have knocked off a dozen shrimp or so.

Thanks for all the kind suggestions and insight. I will from now on pay a lot more attention when we book things. In addition, a letter to the president of the cruise line may be in order.

Thanks again.
TChrist05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #81
bahacca
Mouseketeer

If you have a copy of your reservation that says 9A on it, I'd bring that with you to port when you check in. When they tell you the room, just say "Is that a 9A room?" Perhaps the person at check-in will realize the mistake of room classification and fix it on the spot for you.
Have a wonderful cruise!
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:24 PM   #82
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandy595 View Post
While I agree that no one should be given a lower category than they booked, I don't believe anyone is entitled to an upgrade, no matter how many cruises they've been on. Upgrades are just the luck of the draw. I've never gotten one and don't ever expect to. When I hear about someone getting an upgrade and they've been on fewer cruises than I have, I don't get upset, I'm happy for them.

I agree with you, and "entitled" is the key word.

OP....I'd be concentrating a LOT more on the fact that they placed you in a lower category room, than trying to get them to upgraded you, or even mentioning it to them. From what I've discovered everywhere, resorts, cruises, doesn't matter...if they get someone calling and asking about an upgrading, or mentioning that "other people get them", they're more likely to drop you to the bottom of the bucket.
No one here, in all the years I've been on the DIS, has EVER figured out they "whys" and "hows" of upgrades.

But I would DEFINITELY be all over them for putting you in a lower category than what you paid for.

When did they change the categories, by the way? Didn't they originally only have a Category 9A and a Category 9B? And now they have C and D?
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:29 PM   #83
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

On DCL's website, it DOES say (in reference to GTY) that they will EITHER place you in a room in the SAME category, or a higher one. I didn't know it said that....and it's kind of tricky writing it that way. The way I read it, they mean any room within the "9" catergory, as in the case of the OP.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/fa...ose-stateroom/
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:34 PM   #84
rosermama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace
On DCL's website, it DOES say (in reference to GTY) that they will EITHER place you in a room in the SAME category, or a higher one. I didn't know it said that....and it's kind of tricky writing it that way. The way I read it, they mean any room within the "9" catergory, as in the case of the OP.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/fa...ose-stateroom/
I think thats a little shady seeing as for example I booked a cat 6B over a Cat 6A because it was cheaper both were GTY rooms. So if I paid for a 6A I would have expected at least that level. When booking it says something about you are guaranteed the cat you pick most people must assume it means the level and cat. It also doesn't say there is restrictions on Gty if that's what you book you get what you get and they wont change the room even if you get a room a year out.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using DISBoards
rosermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #85
TChrist05
DIS Veteran

I paid for my cruise so that means I am "entitled" to be on the ship in my category that I paid for. DCL claims that they can assign us in any stateroom in a category 9. I can talk with them until I am blue in the face and they will not budge from this. For the record, I never asked them for an upgrade. My point is that they never reward frequent cruisers with any kind of upgrade unless THEY need your stateroom. As I stated earlier, it seems like the people who have cruised a couple of times get "pixie dusted" with upgrades from time to time. It is great for them but I feel that they do get those upgrades because Disney does not "have them yet" like many of us who have cruised 10-15-20 plus times. I am looking forward to this cruise as I will be celebrating my big 60 birthday. I understand this is a nice large stateroom so we will enjoy the extra space. Again, thank you all for your kind comments and insight.
TChrist05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: