Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran
 
WanderlustNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 2,321

Value Doubles vs. Moderate Queens

Hi everyone,

My family of three (2 adults, one 5 yr old) will be traveling to WDW for 11 nights next October.

I am stuck trying to decide between a Value Resort (probably Pop) or a Moderate resort (POR or CSR). Weighing everything up (even the prospect of free dining), the two deciding factors I keep getting stuck on are price vs. sleep quality.

My family and I have decided that we can live without fancy decor and fancy pools etc if it means more money in our pockets for experiences and souvenirs. However, one thing that we aren't prepared to sacrifice on is a good night's sleep. The last thing we want to do is feel grumpy all day because we haven't slept properly or have sore backs from sleeping funny.

My husband and I are taller and wider than average and are used to the space of a king bed. My son, moves a lot in his sleep, and has a tendency to kick any bed sharers in the ribs and back. If all resorts had queen beds we would pick POP. But given that it only has double beds, I'm worried that none of us will have a restful sleep.

Does anyone have an opinion either way of what I should do? Are the double beds as bad as I am imagining them to be? (My husband and I haven't shared a bed that small in years). Also, are the quality of the moderates mattresses any better. We hate really soft beds.

Lastly, if we decide to upgrade to moderate, the next decision will be between POR or CSR. If you don't have an opinion on bed sizes, but are keen to share your opinion of these two resorts, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks everyone
WanderlustNZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
sigepmike
Mouseketeer
 
sigepmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 79

The last time I stayed at a Value, I felt like the beds were pretty uncomfortable. However, it could have just been that specific bed. Either way, I'm not a fan of the double beds.

With that said, I would go for Port Orleans. We LOVE it...and would actually choose POFQ over POR.
sigepmike is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
tjmw2727
Enjoys "mom and me" trips
May just have to dance!
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 9,138

For a short stay I could deal with a value resort but for 11 nights I would upgrade to a moderate. IMHO you will get a better nights sleep and have a few more amenities. Better pool area with a slide, better food courts and a table service restaurant. Our fav is POFQ due to the smaller size of the resort and the access to POR amenities and a boat to DTD.

We just stayed at CSR this past August and we didn't care for it. Paid for a preferred room and it was in the last possible place that could be considered preferred, extra charges for the food court and found the resort just to spread out for us. Walked all the way over to the main pool to swim and have a casual dinner one night only to find the food service closed an hour earlier than advertised leaving us to walk back over to the main food court on a very hot day.
__________________

TJ
tjmw2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
staceyeileen
Mouseketeer
 
staceyeileen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Clermont, FL
Posts: 360

We have a king bed at home. Yeah.... a double would not work. I think it's kind of ridiculous that Disney has hotels with double beds, but I guess I'm spoiled.
staceyeileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
cruella4me64
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 158

Looks like you're coming all the way from New Zealand? Think your backs are already going to be somewhat compromised from travel. Don't think you will regret a moderate in the least!!!!!!!!

Does the CBR still have doubles? That would eliminate that moderate, imho.
cruella4me64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #6
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran
 
WanderlustNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 2,321

Thank you everyone for your comments so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruella4me64 View Post
Looks like you're coming all the way from New Zealand? Think your backs are already going to be somewhat compromised from travel. Don't think you will regret a moderate in the least!!!!!!!!

Does the CBR still have doubles? That would eliminate that moderate, imho.
Yes, all the way from NZ. If it weren't for the astronomical cost of the flights we would probably be able to justify the extra cost of the moderate much more easily.
But you're right. Before and after a long flight, getting a good night's sleep is extra important.

Also, I think the CBR does only have doubles. I haven't even done any further research into this resort for that exact reason.
WanderlustNZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #7
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran
 
WanderlustNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 2,321

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyeileen View Post
We have a king bed at home. Yeah.... a double would not work. I think it's kind of ridiculous that Disney has hotels with double beds, but I guess I'm spoiled.
I'm pleased I'm not the only one who thinks this way. I thought maybe I was being ridiculous worrying about the size of the bed.
WanderlustNZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #8
chemnerd09
Mouseketeer
 
chemnerd09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 405

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderlustNZ View Post
I'm pleased I'm not the only one who thinks this way. I thought maybe I was being ridiculous worrying about the size of the bed.
You're not the only one. When my dad comes along on our biannual trip to WDW, we have to have queen beds. I can't imagine having two adults in a double, especially if you have a king size bed at home. Dad is always complaining about sharing the queen with mom. I'd definitely say go for the queen beds. Another factor of the values is how much noisy they can be. I remembered when we stayed at AoA for one night, I kept getting woken up people going to their rooms. You could even hear the neighbors in the bathroom. If you have the funds, go for the moderate. The queen size beds will help you get a good night's rest which will make your WDW trip even better. Of the moderates, our favorite is POFQ because we really liked walking around the resort.
__________________
DVC member since 2013 with 24 years of WDW trips and counting
Next Trip: WL/BWV/CR Atrium/Dream/CR Atrium

chemnerd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:03 PM   #9
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran
 
WanderlustNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 2,321

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmw2727 View Post
We just stayed at CSR this past August and we didn't care for it. Paid for a preferred room and it was in the last possible place that could be considered preferred
Interesting you say this. I looked at the position of the preferred rooms and didn't think they looked that preferred either. There are other locations in that resort I would much rather stay.

The reason I thought CSR looked quite nice is due to the following
- the clean, modern decor of the rooms
- the fact that the food court seems to sell a range of spicy foods which we love
- it's location between the four main parks and near Blizzard Beach.
- the fact that the Spanish/Mexican theming is quite different to anything we'd find at home.
- and the fact that I read somewhere that the toiletries and linen are a bit nicer than other moderates due to the business crowd that the resort attracts. (Would love to know if this is true)

The reason I like the look of POR is the lush greenery of the grounds and the boat to DTD. The alligator rooms look great, but I don't like the look of the Princess rooms (I'd find the decor too busy and my husband and son would find it all to feminine).

For some reason I'd eliminated POFQ, but now that two people have mentioned it I'll have to go back and re-look.

Last edited by WanderlustNZ; 11-16-2012 at 07:13 PM.
WanderlustNZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #10
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran
 
WanderlustNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 2,321

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigepmike View Post
The last time I stayed at a Value, I felt like the beds were pretty uncomfortable. However, it could have just been that specific bed. Either way, I'm not a fan of the double beds.

With that said, I would go for Port Orleans. We LOVE it...and would actually choose POFQ over POR.
Thanks for your advice. The size of the bed aside, I wonder if others have also found the value beds less comfortable? It could be the case that the values use a lesser quality mattress and if this is the case then that will be the final deciding factor that sways me towards a moderate.
WanderlustNZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #11
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran
 
WanderlustNZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 2,321

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemnerd09 View Post
You're not the only one. When my dad comes along on our biannual trip to WDW, we have to have queen beds. I can't imagine having two adults in a double, especially if you have a king size bed at home. Dad is always complaining about sharing the queen with mom. I'd definitely say go for the queen beds. Another factor of the values is how much noisy they can be. I remembered when we stayed at AoA for one night, I kept getting woken up people going to their rooms. You could even hear the neighbors in the bathroom. If you have the funds, go for the moderate. The queen size beds will help you get a good night's rest which will make your WDW trip even better. Of the moderates, our favorite is POFQ because we really liked walking around the resort.
Interesting, another vote for FQ. Can I ask what you preferred about the FQ grounds to the Riverside one's?

Also, good to know about the thinness of the walls. I hadn't heard that tip before and it sways me even more. You'd think, given that AoA is so new they would have put in some sound-proofing during building??

Out of interest, how does the Air-con compare between the two types of resort? We will actually be arriving at the end of Sep, so I expect it to be very hot.
WanderlustNZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #12
Singinglizzie
DIS Veteran
 
Singinglizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,307

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderlustNZ View Post
Interesting you say this. I looked at the position of the preferred rooms and didn't think they looked that preferred either. There are other locations in that resort I would much rather stay.

The reason I thought CSR looked quite nice is due to the following
- the clean, modern decor of the rooms
- the fact that the food court seems to sell a range of spicy foods which we love
- it's location between the four main parks and near Blizzard Beach.
- the fact that the Spanish/Mexican theming is quite different to anything we'd find at home.
- and the fact that I read somewhere that the toiletries and linen are a bit nicer than other moderates due to the business crowd that the resort attracts. (Would love to know if this is true)

The reason I like the look of POR is the lush greenery of the grounds and the boat to DTD. The alligator rooms look great, but I don't like the look of the Princess rooms (I'd find the decor too busy and my husband and son would find it all to feminine).

For some reason I'd eliminated POFQ, but now that two people have mentioned it I'll have to go back a re-look.

Like many of the previous posters, I would say go with a mod. I think you will love either POR or CSR and I would pick based on theme, since both have queen beds. POR was rennovated just last year, or was it earlier this year? Anyways, the beds are newer so if you are worried about comfort then go POR. CSR on the otherhand is a lovely resort and it is called a deluxe light for good reason. Because it is a convention resort, it has extra amenities like a spa and a disco and a business center, if that is important to you. And as you mention, it's also the most centrally located. Honestly, I don't think you could go wrong with either and since both are large resorts, you might want to consider going with a preferred location, but I have done non-preferred and have done just fine. POFQ seems to appeal to lots of folks, but for me seems too close together and not "resort-y" if that makes any sense. Good luck deciding!
__________________
Poly, OKW & AKL 2009, AKL Jambo & Off-site 2010, AKL Kidani 2011
Singinglizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #13
chemnerd09
Mouseketeer
 
chemnerd09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 405

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderlustNZ View Post
Thanks for your advice. The size of the bed aside, I wonder if others have also found the value beds less comfortable? It could be the case that the values use a lesser quality mattress and if this is the case then that will be the final deciding factor that sways me towards a moderate.
I found the beds at AoA Little Mermaid room to be terrible. It was a bit too hard for my taste. However, the beds at the POP were fine and if we needed to stay at a value, the POP would be my first and only choice. I'd find something else to cut out of the budget if POP wasn't available.
__________________
DVC member since 2013 with 24 years of WDW trips and counting
Next Trip: WL/BWV/CR Atrium/Dream/CR Atrium

chemnerd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:32 PM   #14
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,076

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderlustNZ View Post
Interesting you say this. I looked at the position of the preferred rooms and didn't think they looked that preferred either. There are other locations in that resort I would much rather stay.

The reason I thought CSR looked quite nice is due to the following
- the clean, modern decor of the rooms
- the fact that the food court seems to sell a range of spicy foods which we love
- it's location between the four main parks and near Blizzard Beach.
- the fact that the Spanish/Mexican theming is quite different to anything we'd find at home.
- and the fact that I read somewhere that the toiletries and linen are a bit nicer than other moderates due to the business crowd that the resort attracts. (Would love to know if this is true)

The reason I like the look of POR is the lush greenery of the grounds and the boat to DTD. The alligator rooms look great, but I don't like the look of the Princess rooms (I'd find the decor too busy and my husband and son would find it all to feminine).

For some reason I'd eliminated POFQ, but now that two people have mentioned it I'll have to go back and re-look.
I think upgrading to a moderate is a great choice. Yes, cbr still has doubles so stay clear of that one (although I really love it there). Personally, we love CSR for some of the reasons you mentioned. The rooms are beautiful, the grounds are lush, tranquil, and so relaxing. I don't necessarily think the linens or the toiletries are any nicer but maybe I just didn't notice. What I did love is the food court. It does have some Spanish foods as well as other food court offerings it offers a buffet for breakfast and lunch which is very reasonably priced as well. I like that you eat the food first and then pay. I hate waiting in the long food court lines and then our food is cold.

POR is also a nice resort but we stay clear of POR and POFQ because we are from Louisiana and south Mississippi. Looks like home to us but we have stayed at POR and it is lovely. The pool area might be better for your son here. To me it is a better fit for the younger crowd than the pool at CSR but I guess this depends on your child.

I think either resort is great. Perhaps look on you tube at videos of the resorts and see which one offers a better fit for your family.
__________________
Me , DH , DS 3 , and DS 3
twinboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #15
incredigirl
Earning My Ears
 
incredigirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 19

You can't go wrong with POR. It's absolutely gorgeous. The food is good (love the make your own pasta option). And, Piano Bob is soooo much fun.
__________________
Incredigirl

incredigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: