Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #196
m4travel

Mouseketeer

'Early' flights

Just returned on the Wonder to L.A. last week. On that voyage - as most others, I believe - DCL did not encourage flights before 12:30. You could arrange to be in the first group leaving the ship for an early flight, however, the earliest DCL ship-to-LAX bus didn't leave until 10 am. Don't know how that will work with timing at Galveston. If check-in is 2 hours before your flight and it takes about an hour to reach Hobby....

As painful as the wait at the airport might be, I'd opt for the later flight. JMHO; otherwise

Mickey Mouse Club Member No. 37,399 1955 * DL/DLR 1957 * DVC 2005 * DCL 2006 * WDW 2006 - Disneyland was just down the road....
m4travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #197
sinnika
DIS Veteran

We just got off the Magic. We were second seating for breakfast (8:30am) and took our time and got off the ship around 9:30am. We had driven to the port and I waited while DH went to get the car. Most of the passengers had already left and those still waiting had private transportation. There was a long line of available taxi minivans. We were passing the Hobby airport exit by 10:30am on our drive home. Not sure of taxi cost but this would seem like an easy option to get to Hobby.
sinnika is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #198
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnika View Post
We just got off the Magic. We were second seating for breakfast (8:30am) and took our time and got off the ship around 9:30am. We had driven to the port and I waited while DH went to get the car. Most of the passengers had already left and those still waiting had private transportation. There was a long line of available taxi minivans. We were passing the Hobby airport exit by 10:30am on our drive home. Not sure of taxi cost but this would seem like an easy option to get to Hobby.
Thanks, that put my mind at rest. We have an evening flight out of IAH and decided our best bet is a one-way car rental as this gives us some flexibility during the day. Enterprise does not have a shuttle so we were wondering if we would run into trouble getting to the depot, but if taxis are plentiful then there won't be a problem at all.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:04 AM   #199
m4travel

Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Magic Travel View Post
Ok, I'm going on my very first cruise EVER next month and it will be out of Galveston. If I fly into Houston, will the DCL transfer us a day early, or only the day of our cruise?

Thanks!
DCL will provide the transfer to Galveston a day in advance of sailing [and to port the next day] if you book your Galveston hotel through Disney. They are using the Hotel Galvez - at least in our case. You still pay for the transfer(s) [$60/rt/pp] but they will provide transport the day before sailing.

We just booked this option for our May 10 '13 cruise. We could have booked the hotel directly for less, but the cost of renting a car for a one-way trip from IAH to Galveston was more than the difference in booking the hotel with DCL.

Mickey Mouse Club Member No. 37,399 1955 * DL/DLR 1957 * DVC 2005 * DCL 2006 * WDW 2006 - Disneyland was just down the road....
Old 11-05-2012, 07:26 AM   #200
Tangoqueen
Earning My Ears

We have just returned to the UK after our Magic cruise. Can highly recommend booking the Hotel Galvez and transfers through Disney. The hotel was lovely and very stylish. Our two double bedded room was very comfortable and had lovely toiletries including shower gel, moisturiser, shampoo and conditioner. The transfers were excellent. We were met in the airport by Disney reps and the limo driver. Our flight was delayed in arriving and it was great to have the car waiting. We had considered car rental or private limo but for 30 dollars each person each way this was definitely worth it. There were three adults in our party so we had the limo ride for 90 dollars plus tip thro disney but the receipt the guy gave us showed that they had been paid around 120 dollars by disney. The transfer back to the airport was coach transfer and as we were on second dining we left the ship at 9am and were on the coach for the 9.30 departure. Forgot to check what time we arrived at IAH but I think it was before 11am. Unfortunately we were only flying out 5.40pm which due to weather was delayed to nearer 9pm - so a long day in the airport! Having said that as we didn't have young children to worry about entertaining it did go quite fast.
Tangoqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #201
Homefixitguru
Earning My Ears

I have a question that has not been asked that I can see. We are on the Feb 23 cruise and are driving in from Phoenix. We pull a 29' travel trailer and I was wondering which if any parking lots can accommodate a truck and trailer?
Does the WalMart in Galveston allow overnight RV stays?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks to all
Homefixitguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #202
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homefixitguru View Post
I have a question that has not been asked that I can see. We are on the Feb 23 cruise and are driving in from Phoenix. We pull a 29' travel trailer and I was wondering which if any parking lots can accommodate a truck and trailer?

Thanks to all

I don't think any Walmart allows that... I know every one I've been to has big signs forbidding that very thing. But there are lots of RV parks in Galveston, due to all the Winter Texans who come down. The closest to the cruise terminal area would be Bayou Shores:

http://bayoushoresrvresort.com/index.html

And some more:

http://goo.gl/maps/6vWQv

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 48) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (48)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #203
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homefixitguru

Thanks to all
Walmarts do allow travel trailer parking, but I think you have to stay with the trailer. You couldn't leave it unattended. Some of the parking spots allow for oversized autos which I assume are for RVs. I've seen them parked. You need to call ahead and ask.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #204
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homefixitguru View Post

Thanks to all
Although it used to be that Walmart welcomed RVs with open arms, it's now up to each store. I've got a couple of links for you below, I don't know how accurate they are, but both of them show the Walmart in Galveston as being RV friendly

http://www.walmartatlas.com/no-park-walmarts

http://www.allstays.com/c/walmart-te...ations-map.htm

Someone on our 10/13/12 cruise had an RV that they were parking at the Port. They used the Port of Galveston parking with no problems, so that's a good place to start.

There are some nice RV parks in the Galveston area but if you are literally just wanting a place to put your head for a few hours, they might be on the pricey side.

Jenny & Scott
2000-POFQ, 2005-FW, 2006-FW, 2008-FW, Feb 2009-CBR/POFQ, Sept 2009-ASM,2010 BWI/WL/AKL/DCL Magic Western, July 2011 BWI/DCL Dream, Nov 2011 FW/AKL, May 2012 GF/DCL Fantasy-Eastern/BWI, Oct 2012 DCL Magic-Western, Feb 2013 DCL Magic-Cozumel, Apr 2013 DCL Magic-CC/WDW/KW, Sept 2013 - DCL Wonder-Bahamas, Dec 2013 - DCL Wonder-NYE-Cozumel, March 2014 - DCL Magic-4 night, Patiently waiting for: Nov 2014-Dream, Nov 2015- DCL Wonder B2B-Western & Bahamas-Galveston, DCL Wonder 2015 NYE Cruise-Bahamas-Galveston
ukintheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #205
Belle1967
Earning My Ears

The airline changed our flight to an earlier flight time on our return day. Our flight now leaves at 12:25. What is the earliest time we can take the Disney transfer to Bush Int? How do we request the earliest transfer to the airport? Will we make a 12:25 flight?
Old 11-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #206
mamasha
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle1967 View Post
The airline changed our flight to an earlier flight time on our return day. Our flight now leaves at 12:25. What is the earliest time we can take the Disney transfer to Bush Int? How do we request the earliest transfer to the airport? Will we make a 12:25 flight?
want to know the same thing
Old 11-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #207
kristinfly2
Mouseketeer

We were on the magic last week. The first bus to IAH is at 845 and the second and last one is at 930. You don't reserve a spot on the busses you just need to be out there and on board with all of your luggage! We left out of HOU and we were on the 9 am bus to there. We would have easily made a 1200 flight but there wasn't one. Hope this helps!
kristinfly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #208
kristinfly2
Mouseketeer

Ps I still have my "welcome home letter" from DCL. Pm me if you have any more questions !
Old 11-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #209
m4travel

Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristinfly2 View Post
We were on the magic last week. The first bus to IAH is at 845 and the second and last one is at 930. You don't reserve a spot on the busses you just need to be out there and on board with all of your luggage! We left out of HOU and we were on the 9 am bus to there. We would have easily made a 1200 flight but there wasn't one. Hope this helps!
That's good to hear! We've got second seating, so we'll easily make the 9:30 coach. Should be at IAH about 11, I think. A little close for the 12:30 flight; glad we booked the 2:15pm.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #210
kristinfly2
Mouseketeer

Just a word of caution. The second busses left later than they were supposed to because they had to make sure everyone who paid was on! First busses left right on schedule or a little early if full! We went to topsiders for breakfast to avoid the hassle of waiting for seating times!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: