Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #316
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I just want you to have a GREAT trip, Sherry! That is my wish for you.

This whole "going to the YMCA to work out and let the kid have classes" thing really messes with the immune system! I wish I could just not go all fall and winter long, but then I'd have other problems, LOL. Sometimes I think I can *see* the germs floating in the air...

Oh and of course the hospital time for MIL has not helped. I think we were exposed to freaky hospital-air germs. (this is going to turn me into a germaphobe)

Got a little extra sleep last night, but not much. While talking with the pharmacist at MIL's coumadin clinic she mentioned she has a cough that won't quit too. I asked her, out of desperation, if she uses something to stop the coughing, and she said "well, there are suppressants out there...but frankly none of them really seem to work". Man, if a pharmacist can't find anything that really works, what are my chances of finding one?

I've "cold plus"sed myself a couple times during this nasty cold, but once the coughing started that become no fun. Because I would still cough, but be REALLY out of it while doing so. And that feels worse than being up all night.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:09 PM   #317
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

I am sorry you are so sick! I got the flu from Scotty, who got it from his best friend. Nobody ever shares anything like germs.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-08-2012, 12:04 AM   #318
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

Have you ever tried taking Sambucol? It won't help once you are already deep in the sickness (although now that I think about it, there is a version of it that is meant to be taken while you are already sick), but if you take it before you get sick and/or when you first feel that niggling "I'm going to get sick" feeling, it can be really effective at fighting things off. I've tried the lozenges and the liquid and have had success with both.

Me DD 10 DS 8
1982: Contemporary 1989: Contemporary 1998: Disneyland (day trip) 2005: Wilderness Lodge 2006: Wilderness Lodge 2007: Contemporary 2008: Disneyland (Park Vue) 2009: Disneyland (HoJo) 2010: Pop Century 2011: Disneyland (PPH/DLH) and Boardwalk 2012: San Diego and Disneyland (PPH) 2013: Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside 2014: Dolphin and Disney Dream
nancy drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:30 AM   #319
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Sorry you have the flu Michele! That's what this has felt like, but I'm just calling it a cold. Except for when I call it the bubonic mumps. Or was that the last "cold"?

Sambucol, eh? Robert stayed home today for me, in case I had another bad night. I only had two wakeups, which is awesome compared to this last week, but now HE is sick! So he stayed home for himself. And for his mom, because he ran up there to help her take her stick-on heart monitor off and send it back to the lab (checking for atrial fibrillation). I'll go to the store and have a look at it tomorrow.

I officially canceled MIL's cruise, and we're working on canceling her flight, too. I feel sad and happy, and really really BAD for how NOT bad I'm feeling about it. Talked it through with Robert, he understands and helped me feel a ton better (it's so so so so good that I'm allowed to be honest about the negativity I have about his mom...we would never have survived if he didn't agree with me so much! he reminds me all the time that I've only known her 12 years...he's dealt with her for 40).

If things have been totally stable and if she's around next year (I personally think she'll live forever, but most people, including her, disagree with me), we'll do an Alaska cruise with her. That'll be good.

Robert and I have pretty much taken another Disneyland trip OFF the table. So that means this report can be wrapped up! Any last questions?

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 11-10-2012, 03:32 AM   #320
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Just looked up Sambucol; so it's elderberry! I was just reading about elderberry and how AMAZING it is for flu, etc. Thanks for the suggestion! Because I am sick of getting sick.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #321
kaoden39
Hugs

Thank you. It has been awful because I haven't had a chance to slow down. It is truly the flu, cold and tummy combined.

Well, my trip is cancelled but Loren is going next week with his bffs family. Lucky bug. I admit to being a little jealous.

I think it is for the best we aren't going, what with me being sick and Scotty just having got over that. Plus he has no energy and that would not be fun. I could really use the trip though. His biopsy came back and it was "atypical" so he has to undergo another in two months.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #322
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Oh Michele...

The local health food store was having an open house today, so we got free samples of the Sambucol stuff. Bought it, too. Robert chose to get that Oscillo homeopathic remedy, because he feels flu'y, not cold'y. I look forward to feeling better.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #323
kaoden39
Hugs

Molly, thank you.

You guys got really hit hard. I hope that your choices help. I am starting feel out from under on the stomach thing.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #324
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I'm so glad you're starting to feel better, at least tummy-wise.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:40 PM   #325
kaoden39
Hugs

Thank you, I hope you guys are starting to feel better.

How is your MIL?
Old 11-16-2012, 02:35 AM   #326
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I made a big mistake as soon as I felt a little better, and started cleaning the house. Which brought up huge amounts of dust, which caused a two day allergy attack and I backslid a bit. But as of today I realized I'm doing better.

Everything remains quiet on the MIL front. She has been discharged from Home Health, so now gets to have her prothrombin times checked at the lab. Which means a welcome back to me as caregiver, or, really, driver.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #327
kaoden39
Hugs

Poor Molly on both counts. That really stinks about the allergies. I hope you are feeling better.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #328
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Hi again!

Shockingly, the planets came together just right, and an Alaska Air Miles flight came up along with some free hotel nights, and we spent last weekend down in Anaheim.

It was EXHAUSTING, and I don't like Ramada Maingate much, but some good times were had.

As of tomorrow my AP is dead, and DH and DS don't really have plans to go on their own before early February, so this is it for now. Don't know how long or short "for now" will be. Thinking of the AP prices makes me almost cry, but then so does just having a *ticket* for ONE trip in a 365 period. Darn them. Sure they have new stuff, but they are also getting SO many more visitors...they didn't NEED to raise the prices. (especially since carsland, according to all reports, was created from money they *actually had* and set aside back when the announcement was made)

Anyway, my computer was in the shop for about 2 weeks, which was a terrible time in my history, LOL, but now it has a new screen, new screen case, and even a new bottom (I guess the bottom was breaking, in a way Apple considers to be abnormal and not person-caused, and I didn't even know it), all under warranty, and I'll probably post some pictures at some point. Probably.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #329
kaoden39
Hugs

I was thinking about you earlier today. I was wondering how you were. I can hardly wait to hear about you most recent trip.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:13 AM   #330
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I just want to tell one little story from the trip.

We went on Jungle Cruise on Saturday, after dark. Some might remember that Eamon has, in the past, been a little bit scared of this, but he was quite brave. So we were on the ride, and the CM was pretty funny starting out.

When we got to the tiger, the CM said the usual joke...that's a 500 pound Bengal Tiger, and they can jump 15 feet. But it's OK, we're only 10 feet away, so he'll jump right over us.

Ha ha, funny, etc.

So then we see the big snake. That's a 500 lb Bengal Cobra, they can spring 15 feet. But that's OK, we're only 10 feet away, he'll jump right over us.

He proceeded to say that about *almost* every animal on the ride. I mean, seriously, he did the WHOLE thing for many, many of the animals.

I guess there was a lady right near the CM who tried to get him to stop, and from what Robert said later (he was sitting closer to them), that seemed to have fueled the CM to do it MORE.

I was hoping for some sort of "punchline", some sort of bazinga moment, but it never came. However, the sheer number of times he said it was a punchline of its own. You got the feeling that the CM was having fun, and he made it a bit odd, a bit weird, but definitely one we won't forget.

So we were chortling about it that night. We finished whatever we were doing, we left the park, walked back, got ready, packed up, etc, went to sleep.

In the morning we were getting ready, and we turned on the TV. One nice thing I'll say about the Ramada is that they have a decent channel or two, and Jurassic Park was playing without commercials on Encore or Starz (it was one of those channels).

We're watching it and getting ready, and then there's the scene when you see the T-Rex and he's approaching the car, and they are driving away. Dramatic!

And Eamon casually says..."that's a 500 pound Bengal Tyrannosaurus Rex...he can jump 15 feet, but we're only 10 feet away...he'll jump right over us."

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: