Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
heatherandnick
DIS Veteran

Signature Dining Idea Regarding Kids (putting on flame suit now)

I'm sure this will be a very unpopular post with many, but I sort of wanted to see if others agree with me at all or if I am completely out of line here...

After a fantastic DxDP trip last week, DH and I made an observation about many of the signature dining establishments where we dined. Quite a few of our dinner ADRs were after 7:30 or 8pm. After a couple meals where children were either sleeping on the booth attached to ours, having major meltdowns, or watching loud videos on Dad's iphone while the parents tried to enjoy a bottle of wine, I started thinking.... (here is where the flame suit will be necessary)...

Wouldn't it be a great idea if signature (and only signature) restaurants allowed no children under 10 years old at any ADRs past 7pm?

To those of you with children, this might seem ridiculous and even insulting, but hear me out. I LOVE kids. But I also love some adult time past a certain time of the evening. I do not think children should be sleeping at signature dining tables at 9:30 at night. They should be in bed. I know it is a vacation that you all paid a lot of money for and you want to get the most bang for your buck, but really?!? I think it's ludicrous. If you want to enjoy a late adults-only dinner, then book a sitter. It takes something away from those around you when they are being kicked by your sleeping kiddos or enduring a temper tantrum from someone who is too exhausted to stand.

Sorry to anyone if I offended you. I'm sure some kids can handle later dinners, but, believe me, many can't. I paid a lot for my vacation, too.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
Maggie'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherandnick View Post
I'm sure this will be a very unpopular post with many, but I sort of wanted to see if others agree with me at all or if I am completely out of line here...

After a fantastic DxDP trip last week, DH and I made an observation about many of the signature dining establishments where we dined. Quite a few of our dinner ADRs were after 7:30 or 8pm. After a couple meals where children were either sleeping on the booth attached to ours, having major meltdowns, or watching loud videos on Dad's iphone while the parents tried to enjoy a bottle of wine, I started thinking.... (here is where the flame suit will be necessary)...

Wouldn't it be a great idea if signature (and only signature) restaurants allowed no children under 10 years old at any ADRs past 7pm?

To those of you with children, this might seem ridiculous and even insulting, but hear me out. I LOVE kids. But I also love some adult time past a certain time of the evening. I do not think children should be sleeping at signature dining tables at 9:30 at night. They should be in bed. I know it is a vacation that you all paid a lot of money for and you want to get the most bang for your buck, but really?!? I think it's ludicrous. If you want to enjoy a late adults-only dinner, then book a sitter. It takes something away from those around you when they are being kicked by your sleeping kiddos or enduring a temper tantrum from someone who is too exhausted to stand.

Sorry to anyone if I offended you. I'm sure some kids can handle later dinners, but, believe me, many can't. I paid a lot for my vacation, too.
While I agree that many children shouldn't be out at a signature dining restaurant that late at night, I don't agree with WDW making it a policy. You would be punishing all parents for the few that don't make responsible choices for their children.

Also, 7:00pm would be too early of a cutoff time, especially for the older children of the age range you listed. 7-9 year olds generally wouldn't have a problem at 8:00pm. Plus, what about the couple with the infant that will sleep in a carrier while the parents eat? With this policy, those parents would be turned away when it really doesn't make a difference where that child is sleeping. My ex and I often went to fine dining establishments when DD was an infant. She would sleep in her carseat the entire meal and not disturb anyone. She actually slept better in her carseat than she did in her crib at home.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
OhThePain
DIS Veteran

I also agree that parents should take their kids as well as being considerate of other guests when planning ADRs. I personally don't have an issue with kids in Signatures on the late side, even if they are passed out. My issue is with the parents who, as the OP mentioned, either play loud videos/games on phones or whatever to keep the kids occupied and parents who ignore their kids tantrums. I understand they are on vacation and they are trying to find a way to feel like adults while at a place that brings out the kid in us all. That's why as much as it may bug me I don't let it get to me (if that makes sence).

Since it is just my fiancee and I (no kids) we no longer eat most of our dinners at typical dinner times. When eating at a Signature restaurant, we now aim to get the last ADR of the night. By the time our entrees come, the restaurant is practically empty, leaving us to enjoy a nice, quiet, romantic dinner. We don't think it would be fair to expect people to change the way they want to plan their vacation (but again, some consideration would be nice). Plus, we feel it has worked to our advantage for us to change the way we plan to do things.

1988- Contemporary Resort / 1990- Big Red Boat and Buena Vista Palace / 1993- CBR / 1997- ASMusic / 1998- CBR / 1998- ASSports / 2008/9- POR / 2009- Convention at Gaylord Palms / 2010- POR / 2011- AKL-CL (with 3 "bonus" nights AKL non-CL) / 2013-BWV / 2014- POR / 2014- Disney Fantasy (Western)
Old 11-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
everythingALICE
I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I'm not myself you see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhThePain View Post
I also agree that parents should take their kids as well as being considerate of other guests when planning ADRs. I personally don't have an issue with kids in Signatures on the late side, even if they are passed out. My issue is with the parents who, as the OP mentioned, either play loud videos/games on phones or whatever to keep the kids occupied and parents who ignore their kids tantrums. I understand they are on vacation and they are trying to find a way to feel like adults while at a place that brings out the kid in us all. That's why as much as it may bug me I don't let it get to me (if that makes sence).
Agreed. I hate when parents choose to ignore tantrums - if you choose to let your kid "ride out" tantrums at home, that's fine. But don't allow that sort of behavior in a restaurant (regardless of it's a Signature or not) where it's going to directly affect the meals of others around you.

Also, if you're going to bring a portable DVD player/ipad/iphone to a restaurant so your child can watch a movie, give him headphones! I had a table directly behind me once whose son was watching a movie with the volume on full-blast. So distracting.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

- Another thing to keep in mind is time zones - if that particular group comes from the West Coast for examply, and is eating at 8, it's really like 5 to them.

- As someone who does not like dining near screaming children and always took her own outside if there was a problem, I understand the issue. But, I disagree with your suggested rule. Why punish my DD9 (and my family) because someone else can't parent? I am not a fan of the we should punish everyone because of one bad apple rules.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
prttynpnk
Mouseketeer

Ok, let me put on my safety goggles with my flame suit.....how about a little 'non-breeding' section in some restaurants? Why seat a 2 top couple next to a family of 7 if you can avoid it? I have actually been pelted with crayons at Citricos, so I understand the issue. I've also sat by tables that had amazing children and had to tell the parents what a treat being near them was, but mostly I just wish I could eat without screaming and antics. There I said it. I'm evil.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
everythingALICE
I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I'm not myself you see.

A non-breeding section. I love it. Totally on board.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #8
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

While I don't agree with your proposed policy, I do think that people need to be realistic about their expectations as to what their children can handle.

I know that when we planned our girls' 1st Disney trip (they were just turned 3 and 5), we had planned for nap times, breaks...no fancy meals, etc...but our girls were simply amazing on that trip...that's without naps, sometimes staying up until 1 am on late EMH night at MK!!! We were shocked (and pleasantly surprised) that our littles were just as commando as us! We have had 3 trips with our girls and they have eaten at many signature restaurants and they have been great! Even at 8:30 at night. But, we have seen many meltdowns by other kids, and while I feel for those parents, I think they may have misjudged what their child's capacity is for handling those types of situations.

For us, if one of our kids does go into meltdown mode, we do not ignore the tantrum, we take them out of the environment. If that means one of us leaves with the offending child while the other settles the check that's what we do.

In short, parents need to have better judgement in regards to their own situation, IMHO.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Old 11-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #9
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

OP, I dont think your idea is a terrible one. I think its quite reasonable to have adult only dining at signatures after 7pm. I have a DS12, and we never dine that late at disney or anywhere else. We have on occasion, but not on a regular basis. I think its a good idea!! We could totally live with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by everythingALICE View Post
A non-breeding section. I love it. Totally on board.
I love it too!

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
Old 11-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #10
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Many adults would love it. I would love it. Never gonna happen. The crowd went wild in protest when they did that at Victoria & Albert's (that's died down now) and that was from people who never intended to go to Victoria & Albert's at all. Of course all the signatures are on a no-show hold now, so even if the kids fall asleep the parents are out money if they skip the reservation.

Of course kids shouldn't be sleeping at tables or throwing screaming fits at any restaurant. I don't mean babies in carseats, I mean older kids sleeping on chairs, in booths, even heard a story of one parent who put the kid on the floor under the table. Back when PI was open there were kids sleeping in a comedy club after midnight. At WDW it's going to happen because the parents want to squeeze every last drop out of the vacation and aren't thinking realistically that the kiddies should be in bed. And if you're going to keep the kids occupied by playing videos or games on Ipads or whatever, bring some earphones. Even that seems to get "but my kids won't wear earphones" or "I don't want them to wear earphones."

PS we usually have to close these threads eventually. People get passionate about this topic on both sides. Please keep the posting guidelines in mind.

Last edited by TDC Nala; 11-16-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #11
Tigger's ally
Segway test dummy

That's why on this trip, with just the wife and I, I plan on sleeping in....eating lunch at around 2 and dinner at around 8:30-9 with late night visits to the boardwalk and Downtown to walk around in silence and to enjoy night scenery.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:42 PM   #12
Herfnerd
DIS Veteran

Its Disney and many people believe that the entire resort is kid friendly so common sense goes right out the door......
Old 11-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #13
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by prttynpnk View Post
Ok, let me put on my safety goggles with my flame suit.....how about a little 'non-breeding' section in some restaurants? Why seat a 2 top couple next to a family of 7 if you can avoid it? I have actually been pelted with crayons at Citricos, so I understand the issue. I've also sat by tables that had amazing children and had to tell the parents what a treat being near them was, but mostly I just wish I could eat without screaming and antics. There I said it. I'm evil.
I used to actually say that! Instead of a smoking/non-smoking section (especially since in most states you can't smoke inside anyway) restaurants should do a kid/no-kid section!

Before the flaming here - I love kids! I do mean this (mostly) in jest. 99% of the time I am never bothered by kids in restaurants. And when I have been bothered by kids being unruly I feel bad for the parents because 99% of the time they are trying to work with their kids but the kids are just not wanting to cooperate!
Old 11-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #14
freshmanjs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herfnerd View Post
Its Disney and many people believe that the entire resort is kid friendly so common sense goes right out the door......
we had great dinners with our 3 kids 7,10,10 last week after 7pm at Flying Fish, Il Mulino, and Blue Zoo. can you please let me know how that reflects my lack of common sense?
Old 11-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #15
Herfnerd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
we had great dinners with our 3 kids 7,10,10 last week after 7pm at Flying Fish, Il Mulino, and Blue Zoo. can you please let me know how that reflects my lack of common sense?
Did I specifically point you out? I am talking about those that allow kids to have total meltdowns, allow them to throw crayons at other patrons and the like. You are obviously not one of the many I was talking about.....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: