Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
Nurse_Mommy4
DIS Veteran

GF or BC CL

Hello,

I am taking my youngest DD15 on a mother/daughter trip next year and I want to surprise her with a deluxe resort.

POR is our "home" resort and we absolutely adore it. We love the proximaty to DTD, the foodcourt and the overall feel of POR. That being said my daughter's "dream" resort is GF (in fact she plans on getting married there). Her favorite Epcot area resort is BC. Our two favorite parks are MK and Epcot.

We will not be doing the ddp since it is only the two of us and I will pay oop for meals.

I have narrowed my choices down to GF GV (monorail, close to MK, my daughter would love it) or BC CL (close to Epcot, try out CL, my daughter's pick of the Epcot resorts).

We have never experienced CL at WDW but have in the "real world". I have heard it is somewhat of a "let down", but since BC is cheaper than GF I am considering it.

So what do you guys think?
Old 11-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
elaw
DIS Veteran

How long is your trip? Have you ever considered a split stay between the two?
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
Nurse_Mommy4
DIS Veteran

Our trip is for one week. I thought about doing a split stay but I really like to unpack and settle in and I don't feel that a week is long enough to split.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #4
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

WDW CL is a let down and BC CL is the worst of all I have tried at WDW. However, BC location cannot be beat and honestly, I would not stay at GF if I couldn't stay RPC CL in the main building. I've tried the outer building, the Sugarloaf CL and I just didn't care for it. If I'm going to spend that much, I want to spend a little more and stay in the main building.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #5
Nurse_Mommy4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakey View Post
WDW CL is a let down and BC CL is the worst of all I have tried at WDW. However, BC location cannot be beat and honestly, I would not stay at GF if I couldn't stay RPC CL in the main building. I've tried the outer building, the Sugarloaf CL and I just didn't care for it. If I'm going to spend that much, I want to spend a little more and stay in the main building.
Interesting..... So what was it about the outer building at GF that you didn't like?
I have heard the same about BC CL. That's a shame. I do like the location of the resort though.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse_Mommy4 View Post
Hello,

I am taking my youngest DD15 on a mother/daughter trip next year and I want to surprise her with a deluxe resort.

POR is our "home" resort and we absolutely adore it. We love the proximaty to DTD, the foodcourt and the overall feel of POR. That being said my daughter's "dream" resort is GF (in fact she plans on getting married there). Her favorite Epcot area resort is BC. Our two favorite parks are MK and Epcot.

We will not be doing the ddp since it is only the two of us and I will pay oop for meals.

I have narrowed my choices down to GF GV (monorail, close to MK, my daughter would love it) or BC CL (close to Epcot, try out CL, my daughter's pick of the Epcot resorts).

We have never experienced CL at WDW but have in the "real world". I have heard it is somewhat of a "let down", but since BC is cheaper than GF I am considering it.

So what do you guys think?
I love the monorail resorts, so easy to get to MK. EPCOT resorts, not so easy to get to MK. We stayed at YC and the MK bus shared with BC, Swan, Dolphin and the Boardwalk before heading to MK. It took us about an hour to get to MK from YC....

Walking to IG at EPCOT from BC is so easy and quick. Takes 5min and is a lovely walk.

For us the EPCOT resorts are a mixed review as the transportation to AK, DTD, waterparks and MK is really awful. We used a cab several times this last trip. We loved staying at the Poly and taking the monorail to MK and EPCOT. I would choose GF as I like the location/proximity to MK. We found the MK resort buses to be much quicker when sharing and also seemed to come more often.

May 2005 AKL Pool view
July 2010 Poly Standard view- WDW and US
Aug 2012 YC Pool view- WDW, US and BG
Oct 2013 Poly Cl Lagoon view- WDW and US
Oct 2014 BW CL BW View- WDW and US

The Smith's take on the Poly- TR
heidijanesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #7
Nurse_Mommy4
DIS Veteran

I have always wondered why so many deluxe resorts share busses. Is it because they have alternative modes of transportation to some parks?

Anyway, Thanks for the replies! I guess if deciding which deluxe to take my daughter to is my only problem today I am blessed!
Old 11-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #8
elaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Interesting..... So what was it about the outer building at GF that you didn't like?.
Sugarloaf's CL (Outer Building) is located on the ground floor and there aren't really any window views at any of the tables. I did not like it at all. On the other hand ... RPC (Main Building) is pretty spectacular and has myriad views of the main lobby area in addition
to the resort grounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakey View Post
I agree 100% about Sugarloaf vs RPC but I actually really like the BC CL
Old 11-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #9
Nurse_Mommy4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaw View Post
BTW ... I really like the BC CL
You did? What was your experience like? I have no 1st hand knowledge of BC CL.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #10
elaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You did? What was your experience like? I have no 1st hand knowledge of BC CL.
I've stayed at almost all of the WDW CL's and from my experience, all of the CL's have similar offerings (the differences are mostly the evening appetizers different depending on the resorts theme (e.g AKL may have african inspired offerings)
.... The main difference is the CL Lounge size, layout and views. BC's (and YC's) is on the smaller side, there isn't much of a view but it was pleasant as was the staff. I'm pretty easy to please though.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:38 AM   #11
scottmel
Does my logic in my original question make sense
I need to see it in a new light I guess

I have stayed at YC CL, BWI CL and BC CL. BC CL was a disappointment. We love storm along bay pool so we tend to stay YC but the best club level of the three is BWI. BIG lounge and just feels more upscale than the other two lounges. YC is very nice but BC CL very small, crowded, nothing special. But I do enjoy BC as a resort and YC as a resort so they win for me over BWI b/c of the pool!!! And the view at BWI CL are GREAT! Whereas the BC CL views are priced according to tiers - bw or garden and both are lovely. Whereas BC is standard which is awful, garden which is lovely and water which is expensive. BWI does not do that. One price for BWI CL.

I think there are 5 rooms at BC CL that are garden view and they are hard to get. BUT ALL in this category have a balcony. Not true for BC CL SV or BC CL WV....

scottmel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: