Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #31
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggger1 View Post
I'm sorry but I would quit and go on my vacation. I could not work for a company that treated me that way. What does your husband do? It is something he could do somewhere else? Maybe somewhere that treats their employees better?
I definitely would not do that In this day and age, a lot of people swallow their feelings/pride and do whatever it takes to keep a pay check coming in, especially with a family to support and bills coming in.

There is always someone waiting to take your place that will be willing for almost *anything* to get a paycheck.

Used to, this may have been an option, *now* hardly ever an option
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #32
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
So, it's a blessing to work for a company that takes advantage of their workers? A company that cancels all vacations for the rest of the year? Should the OP's DH go and give the owner a big wet kiss for being treated so poorly just because he signs the paychecks? The boss is clearly exploiting the workers and threatening them with losing their job if they complain. Shut up and sit down. If being shafted is a "blessing", please spare me any of those kinds of blessings!

OP, I hope that things work out for your family {{hugs}}.
In this economy? Yes, I know a lot of families that are just so thankful to have a paycheck and feel blessed to have a job. I know some also that would love to have one - most never even think of the *luxury* of a vacation - just want to keep their house, and feed their kids.

If you can be choosey about your work conditions, that is great, but most people now just can't.

A lot of them are working longer hours, and yes, if they complain they may be on the next list to be let go - sadly, this is the age we are in right now.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #33
leftaslide
NW GA. DDC #751

If this was scheduled with his work, I really don't see how they can take that way. He needs to talk to a HR manager.

Dragging the Kids Back to WDW, a Sept. 2014 PTR!
leftaslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:09 PM   #34
mouseketeer_mom
DIS Veteran

OP here with an update and some responses...

Out trip for Thanksgivng Day is a no go... DH called him one last time this evening and the answer remained the same. Of course, his boss was interupted by the phone call as he was deeply engrossed discussing the airplane he just purchased for personal use versus the helicopter he bought last year (no lie, you can't make that stuff up) so, to be fair, maybe the boss wasn't in the best mood.

The economy, frankly, sucks! Although DH is by no means making a killing where he is, we are doing okay and really can't afford to jepardize that right now. Who can???

DH works for a small/shmedium company... no HR personnell to complain to and the boss owns the company as a sole proprietor... if he has crappy business practices, I can only hope that those left working for him won't be blindsided by his short comings (won't be DH, cause he's out of there ASAP and not just because of this issue)

Yeah, the boss is definitely a very selfish.... (I don't think I can say it on the Dis)

As awful as this is... there are some bright points...

My kids are more understanding and mature than I gave them credit for. They were heart broken. But, each of them has gone to their Dad, hugged him, told him that they understood and loved him for all that he does for them. WOW, it brought tears to my eyes.

Contrary to DH Boss's perspective, we realized that family comes first. It's not a family vaction (for us, not judging here) without DH.

Lastly, we told the kids that would be going sometime between Christmas and the end of the school year... beyond that, they asked to be surprised!!!! I love those kids!

Givie me a couple of days to mourn the loss of Christmas in Disney and I will hopefully, start to feel some excitement over our Frebruary trip.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #35
Krystalynn
Mouseketeer

Your children sound very sweet! Good for them! It really does suck, I would take plenty of time to mourn too At least you know you will be back at Disney soon enough!

Krystalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:10 AM   #36
disykat
DIS Veteran

You still haven't said how much money you're losing, if any.

I don't think any of us would want to leave a family member at home, only suggesting that it might make sense to just take the kids if you're out the money anyway.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:57 AM   #37
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Mousketeer_mom, I admire your optimism.
Here's hoping some positive karma is on it's way for you and your family. :-)
Old 11-16-2012, 06:07 AM   #38
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouseketeer_mom View Post

Out trip for Thanksgivng Day is a no go... DH called him one last time this evening and the answer remained the same. Of course, his boss was interupted by the phone call as he was deeply engrossed discussing the airplane he just purchased for personal use versus the helicopter he bought last year (no lie, you can't make that stuff up) so, to be fair, maybe the boss wasn't in the best mood.

The economy, frankly, sucks! Although DH is by no means making a killing where he is, we are doing okay and really can't afford to jepardize that right now. Who can???

DH works for a small/shmedium company... no HR personnell to complain to and the boss owns the company as a sole proprietor... if he has crappy business practices, I can only hope that those left working for him won't be blindsided by his short comings (won't be DH, cause he's out of there ASAP and not just because of this issue)

Yeah, the boss is definitely a very selfish.... (I don't think I can say it on the Dis)

As awful as this is... there are some bright points...

My kids are more understanding and mature than I gave them credit for. They were heart broken. But, each of them has gone to their Dad, hugged him, told him that they understood and loved him for all that he does for them. WOW, it brought tears to my eyes.

Contrary to DH Boss's perspective, we realized that family comes first. It's not a family vaction (for us, not judging here) without DH.

Lastly, we told the kids that would be going sometime between Christmas and the end of the school year... beyond that, they asked to be surprised!!!! I love those kids!

Givie me a couple of days to mourn the loss of Christmas in Disney and I will hopefully, start to feel some excitement over our Frebruary trip.
You are blessed to have such great kids. I hope that your rescheduled trip is even more magical than the one that you will be missing.

Marionnette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:14 AM   #39
mouseketeer_mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disykat View Post
You still haven't said how much money you're losing, if any.

I don't think any of us would want to leave a family member at home, only suggesting that it might make sense to just take the kids if you're out the money anyway.
Thanks for asking... We wont lose any money through Disney as we are just rescheduling the whole trip. We had reservations to stay in Orlando the night before check-in and I haven't checked on moving that reservation yet, but I will. All my ADR will be cancelled in plenty of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderlustNZ View Post
Mousketeer_mom, I admire your optimism.
Here's hoping some positive karma is on it's way for you and your family. :-)
Thank you! I know it probably makes me a bad person but I'm a lttle bitter at the moment so don't mind me if I'm trying to send some negative Karma to .... Well, nevermind...
Old 11-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #40
gracer9977
Happiness is Disney

You have every right to be bitter and to mourn your trip (can't believe he was talking about his personal private airplane when he was in the middle of crushing one of his employees dreams!!! All I can say is Karma really is a (you know what) and I have seen it come back around on people and some day soon it will catch up with him!!

I am so glad that your kids were so understanding, and that is so awesome that they gave your DH hugs and told him they loved and appreciated him!

I am so glad that you are all going to be able to go as a family and that you didn't lose out on any money. I am sorry that it is not the trip that you were planning for though!!

Hugs to you!!!!
Old 11-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #41
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouseketeer_mom View Post

I would certainly be calling my state's labor board and asking them if the company can legally cancel your husbands vacation like this. I really don't know if it is illegal for them to do so, but it might be.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #42
AUDramaQueen
DIS Veteran

Terribly unprofessional I know, but I would have taken my kids up there and had them ask his boss "You won't let my daddy take us to see Mickey?"

OK, I probably would not have done that, and from the sounds of it, the Scrooge would not have been affected by it anyway. Here's hoping someone gets visited by a few ghosts on Christmas Even and he mends his selfish greedy ways!
AUDramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #43
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapquitler View Post
I would certainly be calling my state's labor board and asking them if the company can legally cancel your husbands vacation like this. I really don't know if it is illegal for them to do so, but it might be.
Companies can do pretty much what they want to these days. There have been some very large companies that have even been allowed to take away their employee's retirements! That's a much bigger deal after someone has worked so long with that promise, and then have it taken away when you need it. The company my dh retired from has decreased some of our benefits, though not the funds itself.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #44
luvmy2babies
DIS Veteran

Ugh! Iím so sorry. I am glad for you in how your children handled the disappointment. That had to be heartwarming.

Not much I can say for that boss of his. If he needs that plane, he should hire it out when he isnít using it for extra money so he wonít feel he has to treat his employees like crap. That, ďif you wonít, someone else willĒ line is really below the belt, but unfortunately it works in a lot of places. That isnít how you build up, thatís how you tear down, treating people like robots that can be switched in and out. And that isnít even true. Bringing in someone new would likely put them further behind than letting this man (or others in similar situations) take their vacations. Shameful.

June 2012: Going with the flow with Tropical Storm Debby TR (1st 5 days): http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2953583
June 2013: Our Disney World Road Trip TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3137685
May 2014: Best trip yet. Working on the TR
luvmy2babies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #45
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

OP, I hope you have an even better trip later! You & your husband raised some fantastic kids. Maybe you could go during Flower & Garden......I find Epcot in full bloom to be a great vacation. Usually, even in February, some of the topiaries are up. Last year we got to see Phineas & Ferb & Cars! Pixie dust your way!
dsneprincess is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: