Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #1
jimandami
DIS Veteran

How bad is July really?

Hi all! We are WDW regulars but have never been to DL. Next year, we have the choice of attending a work conference either in July at DL or in early Dec at WDW. This trip would be our big family trip for the year so we can only do one or the other. For a little background, DH and I have a DS8 and DD3 so they would be 4 and 9 at the time of the trip. We have been to WDW probably 8-9 times in the last 5-6 years and we absolutely love it. We do want to experience DL at least once so this seems like a great time, but the thing that is making me hesitate is that the DL conference is in July. We are a non-peak time family (always take the kids out of school for a week so we can go at non-peak times) and truthfully, our trip this Sept to WDW was pushing it as far as crowds go. So, how busy is DL in July? I mean, I know it will be busy, but are we talking 90-120 minute waits for everything? Or is it doable if you get up early, hit rope drop and use fastpasses? Any info or personal stories would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ami

ETA: The conference is at the Disneyland Hotel, with a conference rate of $174 so a pretty good deal!

Last edited by jimandami; 11-16-2012 at 08:13 AM. Reason: adding info
jimandami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
Butterfly123
DIS Veteran

We have been on one late June trip, twice in July, and numerous times in April. July is busy, but not nearly as bad as you might think. You have it exactly right...start first thing at opening, use the fastpass system, plan a rest at peak times, and enjoy the evening entertainment refreshed. We went many Aprils so the kids could have a fun mid-year break, but April is a very busy time now!. And with everyone older and on a different schedule, summer is now our time to go. And you know what? I love it, and wouldn't change back. The weather is beautiful, the hours are great, I don't think we waited more than half an hour for anything on our last four day trip. And with staying at a resort hotel, you"ll have early entry to the parks to take advantage of. So you should go for it, and I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Disneyland: 1969, 1974, 1982, 1985, 1990, July 2001, April 2003, April 2004, April 2005, April 2006, April 2007, April 2008, April 2009, June 2011, July 2012, June 2013. Next visit summer 2015!
Butterfly123 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
jimandami
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly123 View Post
We have been on one late June trip, twice in July, and numerous times in April. July is busy, but not nearly as bad as you might think. You have it exactly right...start first thing at opening, use the fastpass system, plan a rest at peak times, and enjoy the evening entertainment refreshed. We went many Aprils so the kids could have a fun mid-year break, but April is a very busy time now!. And with everyone older and on a different schedule, summer is now our time to go. And you know what? I love it, and wouldn't change back. The weather is beautiful, the hours are great, I don't think we waited more than half an hour for anything on our last four day trip. And with staying at a resort hotel, you"ll have early entry to the parks to take advantage of. So you should go for it, and I'm sure you'll have a great time!
Thank you so much!
Old 11-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
mouseymommy
I love the smell of Pirates

I agree with the PP. We were there in July and I thought it was great. I really hate crowds, and I was not bothered by them in July at all. Now our trip in October during Gay Days, Columbus Day, and Fall Break, was really difficult!
mouseymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
gunka
DIS Veteran

Staying on property in July is not that bad - during the week. Especially staying at the DL Hotel. You can use the monorail to get in and out of the park very easily. I would suggest going as early as possible and then spending the heat of the day back at the hotel pool and then re-entering after you have cooled off and are refreshed. You will see plenty of people hot and red faced and you will be energized and ready to go
Old 11-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #6
jimandami
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the info everyone! I think we may give it a shot!
Old 11-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
Priory
DIS Veteran

This year may have been a special circumstance but my July trip was one of the best ever. I guess all of the crowds were packed into Cars Land because the rest of DCA and Disneyland park were a dream. Low crowds, short waits, it was great. This was on a Friday Saturday Sunday too. I was hoping that the new DCA had changed crowd patterns permanently but when I went back in October it was horribly crowded again everywhere. Who knows what next July will be like but this past July was fantastic.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
rramstad
Mouseketeer

July 2012 was great for us, we made a couple of tactical strikes into CarsLand but the rest of both parks was generally very uncrowded, considering.

I love the weather, full entertainment schedules, opening at 8 AM closing midnight... taking breaks in the middle of the day, fast passes, getting there super early, zig when others zag, it's very doable.

July 2011 was a bit more crowded overall because there wasn't the super attraction of CL to draw thousands away... but it was still manageable.

I'd think the first week in December might be problematic by comparison actually as most passes are unblocked and with the holiday decorations up and it being post Thanksgiving and pre Christmas... I'd expect crowds, short operating hours, iffy weather... no thanks.
rramstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #9
jimandami
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rramstad
July 2012 was great for us, we made a couple of tactical strikes into CarsLand but the rest of both parks was generally very uncrowded, considering.

I love the weather, full entertainment schedules, opening at 8 AM closing midnight... taking breaks in the middle of the day, fast passes, getting there super early, zig when others zag, it's very doable.

July 2011 was a bit more crowded overall because there wasn't the super attraction of CL to draw thousands away... but it was still manageable.

I'd think the first week in December might be problematic by comparison actually as most passes are unblocked and with the holiday decorations up and it being post Thanksgiving and pre Christmas... I'd expect crowds, short operating hours, iffy weather... no thanks.
Thanks for the info! The Dec trip would be WDW and that week has traditionally had low crowds plus the bonus of Christmas stuff! The downside is the potential for no pool weather!
Old 11-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #10
Disneylovers2000
DIS Veteran

We went in July 2011 and had a wonderful trip. We had a 7 day hopper pass and found it to be great. We didn't find lines to be much longer than 40mins mostly except for Star Tours as it was newly opened!
I fully agree with rramstad:
"I love the weather, full entertainment schedules, opening at 8 AM closing midnight... taking breaks in the middle of the day, fast passes, getting there super early, zig when others zag, it's very doable."
We loved it so much, we are doing it again in 2013!!
Disneylovers2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #11
bibbidibobbidibecky
The Fairy Godblogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandami View Post
Hi all! We are WDW regulars but have never been to DL. Next year, we have the choice of attending a work conference either in July at DL or in early Dec at WDW. This trip would be our big family trip for the year so we can only do one or the other. For a little background, DH and I have a DS8 and DD3 so they would be 4 and 9 at the time of the trip. We have been to WDW probably 8-9 times in the last 5-6 years and we absolutely love it. We do want to experience DL at least once so this seems like a great time, but the thing that is making me hesitate is that the DL conference is in July. We are a non-peak time family (always take the kids out of school for a week so we can go at non-peak times) and truthfully, our trip this Sept to WDW was pushing it as far as crowds go. So, how busy is DL in July? I mean, I know it will be busy, but are we talking 90-120 minute waits for everything? Or is it doable if you get up early, hit rope drop and use fastpasses? Any info or personal stories would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ami

ETA: The conference is at the Disneyland Hotel, with a conference rate of $174 so a pretty good deal!
We also are WDW vets and visited DL for the first time last July. I have always said I wouldn't go to a Disney Park in the summer at all, but we had to! And it was fine! Feel free to read my trip report, follow the link in my signature and then go to the Disneyland section. We also stayed at the Disneyland Hotel and it was so wonderful!

When we were there they had the extra magic hour for resort guests and this was so perfect. It was amazing how much we got done in that first hour!

Have fun! It's quite a different experience from WDW.

DCL: 2014 Greek Isles out of Venice, 2011 Med out of Barcelona, 2009 4-night Wonder.
WDW: 2014 Jan., 2012 Oct., 2011 Oct., 2010 Oct., 2009 Dec., 2008 Oct., 2008 May, 2006 Oct., 1997 April, 1996 April, 1993 Feb., 1992 Feb., 1980s various trips, 1977 First trip.
DL California 2012: http://thefairygodblogger.blogspot.c...0Report%202012
DL Paris 2014
: http://thefairygodblogger.blogspot.c...eyland%20Paris
bibbidibobbidibecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:45 PM   #12
LisainCalifornia
DIS Veteran

We have gone every summer for the last 12 years or so. The last 5 years, that has been both June and July. June is a little less hot and crowded than July, but it is still great! And I am not one to say that unless it is true. I went Thanksgiving week (Sun-Wed) a few years ago, and NEVER again. I will be happy to tell you that horror story, but won't bore you. Very crowded beyond all reason type thing. Same with Spring break travel. In the summer it is more spread out throughout the summer, so the crowds are not that bad. The heat is often very bareable, and very little humidity to speak of. I love Disneyland in the summer, and will always be up for a June and July trip!
LisainCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #13
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

"How bad is July really?"

Sorry, you must be on the wrong forum. In Orlando July is unbearable.

But this is the DLR forum. And July (and August) are my favorite time to visit DLR. So for me July is not only not bad, it is the best.

In addition, don't be so quick to assume DLR is like WDW. It isn't. And it is.

Offseason at DLR works differently than WDW and if you try too hard to miss the crowds at DLR you will likely miss a lot a more than crowds.

See "What You Should Know About Off-Season at DLR" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=18462889
DLR 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #14
Thundergod
Mouseketeer

the last three years we have gone in July and though it's busy and kinda frustrating it didn't make it any less magical.
Thundergod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:28 PM   #15
wbl2745
I've gone over to the Silly Symphony Swings to "spin dry."

One of the big differences between Orlando and Anaheim is that Anaheim is a lot dryer than Orlando. If you get wet (Splash Mountain, Grizzly River...) you'll actually dry off. The heat is not as oppressive as in Florida.

DVC Member since February 24, 2010
wbl2745 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: