Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 06:26 AM   #1
GadgetRick
DIS Veteran

Why is everyone up in arms about Starbucks?

I mean, I keep hearing about not wanting a Starbucks in DW. Not sure I get that. Many have expressed their dislike for a corporate entity there, blah blah. This makes absolutely NO sense at all.

First of all, Disney is about the most corporate corporation out there. I guess that's missed on everyone.

Second, Disney has other corporation names throughout DW as they get sponsors for most attractions. Not like we don't see other corporation names throughout DW.

And let's not forget there used to be McDonald's fries in MK (I believe in Frontierland if I remember correctly). Also had a McDonalds in AK for many years. So it's not like it's a new thing.

I don't drink coffee but my wife does and her one big complaint about DW is the horrible coffee there. So they'll (at least) have good coffee--if you like Starbucks that is.

Anyway, with all of the things worth complaining about I think this one makes the least sense.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:31 AM   #2
mlamanna1701
Mouseketeer

I don't think it is about Starbucks itself. It seems to be more about WDW replacing the Main Street Bakery. Everyone appears to be upset about that.
mlamanna1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2012, 06:32 AM   #3
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Why not ask in this thread?

Or this one?

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:34 AM   #4
LegoMom3

Me and mine are way overdue

I am ALL for the Starbuck's coffee. What WDW has passed off as coffee is long overdue for change!!! However, I don't want to see a Starbuck's outlet right there on Main Street USA. Why can't they simply leave it as the Main St. Bakery "now serving Starbuck's coffee."....?? My biggest complaint is seeing the NAME of the establishment changed, right there out front. I get that Disney IS corporate branding. But I don't want to walk down Main St. and see a store in the MK that I will see anywhere else. I also get that they are going to make it "fit" the theme and not stand out. But again, I'd rather see the name remain the same and just put the changes inside!!

That's my personal beef with all of this. If they want to put a Starbuck's CART somewhere, fine.....Have at it. Just like the McDonald's one they have or had in World Showcase.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:37 AM   #5
FlightlessDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegoMom3 View Post
Why can't they simply leave it as the Main St. Bakery "now serving Starbuck's coffee."....??
That's what they are doing.

See Also: Fiddler, Fife, and Practical Café. Name hasn't changed, updated menu including some Starbucks items.

Same thing.

Different coast.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:46 AM   #6
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

They made another announcement saying it would still be called "Main Street Bakery". If they would have said that in the first place, there would not have been such an outrage. Their original announcement was poorly worded.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:52 AM   #7
FlightlessDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
They made another announcement saying it would still be called "Main Street Bakery". If they would have said that in the first place, there would not have been such an outrage. Their original announcement was poorly worded.
It was explained back in April that the locations would fit the theme where they are placed. In fact, it specifically mentioned that the Disneyland location wouldn't change names.

But then the word "closed" and "refurbed" were used in the article about the bakery, and a lot of people apparently forgot how it was announced originally.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:00 AM   #8
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Yep, you hit it on the nose. Well said.

And don't worry, next week we'll resume complaining about fat people on scooters and people who tip mousekeepers less than $500 a day.
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:10 AM   #9
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
Why not ask in this thread?

Or this one?
Because there just aren't enough threads about it that you could read for hours and hours.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:11 AM   #10
WedgieSock
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
I mean, I keep hearing about not wanting a Starbucks in DW. Not sure I get that. Many have expressed their dislike for a corporate entity there, blah blah. This makes absolutely NO sense at all.

First of all, Disney is about the most corporate corporation out there. I guess that's missed on everyone.

Second, Disney has other corporation names throughout DW as they get sponsors for most attractions. Not like we don't see other corporation names throughout DW.

And let's not forget there used to be McDonald's fries in MK (I believe in Frontierland if I remember correctly). Also had a McDonalds in AK for many years. So it's not like it's a new thing.

I don't drink coffee but my wife does and her one big complaint about DW is the horrible coffee there. So they'll (at least) have good coffee--if you like Starbucks that is.

Anyway, with all of the things worth complaining about I think this one makes the least sense.
Everyone isn't up in arms about it. I think its a great idea.

But please, enough with all the MSB/SB threads
WedgieSock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:19 AM   #11
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegoMom3 View Post
Why can't they simply leave it as the Main St. Bakery "now serving Starbuck's coffee."....??
That is exactly what they are doing, that is always what they were doing. I'm not sure if it will stay the Main St. Bakery but who cares? It will be a Disney bakery serving Disney baked goods along with some Starbucks coffee and additional Baked Goods. It was never ever ever ever going to be a Starbucks outlet. Full Stop.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:28 AM   #12
katdralion
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
It will be a Disney bakery serving Disney baked goods along with some Starbucks coffee and additional Baked Goods. It was never ever ever ever going to be a Starbucks outlet. Full Stop.
I don't think this is the case. It will reopen as a Starbucks location serving some additional prepackaged Disney baked goods. That is not the same thing at all!

katdralion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:30 AM   #13
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katdralion View Post
I don't think this is the case. It will reopen as a Starbucks location serving some additional prepackaged Disney baked goods. That is not the same thing at all!
Yes, that is the case. It will remain Main Street Bakery, serving Starbucks coffee.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:49 AM   #14
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by katdralion View Post
No. That isn't what they are doing at all.
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #15
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Not really up in arms, but in all reality?? I want my cinnamon roll, and I want it from Main St Bakery. I am used to that....and that's how I want it to stay!!! I don't want to walk all the way back to FLE to get it.
Okay....whine over.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: