DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 11:16 PM   #16
PrincessSarah314
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by erionm

There are only 5 2-bedroom lock-offs that make up the DVC Portion of the Concierge Level rooms at AKV Jambo House. Two of those 2-bedroom lock-offs face the Uzima Pool and the other three face the Sunset Savanna.
Where are the CL Studios located for DVC? We are booked in one for June. Should we expect 6th floor?
Old 11-15-2012, 03:47 AM   #17
MrShiny
DIS Veteran

Yes. On the 6th floor of AKV Jambo over the atrium looking down to the lobby, the lounge is in the middle and there are 3 2br on one side and 2 2br (and a bathroom) on the other.

We did stay once and got bumped to the 5th floor (I assume they over booked). Our keys still got us into the lounge, although we had to remind them that we were supposed to get daily mousekeeping as CL guests.

Next trips:
Disney Fantasy - 25th Anniversary
Sept.-Oct. 2014

COMMON Annual Meeting
Disneyland Hotel April 2015
MrShiny is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-15-2012, 06:29 AM   #18
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShiny View Post
Yes. On the 6th floor of AKV Jambo over the atrium looking down to the lobby, the lounge is in the middle and there are 3 2br on one side and 2 2br (and a bathroom) on the other.

We did stay once and got bumped to the 5th floor (I assume they over booked). Our keys still got us into the lounge, although we had to remind them that we were supposed to get daily mousekeeping as CL guests.
This happened to us once too! We had a savannah view on the 5th floor.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #19
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
But the cost is unfair. Yes Club Level costs more points for a stay but the owners at AKV don't receive any compensation from the points but they do fund Club Level operations with their dues.

I guess you could say that this is true of any special amenity. Storm-A-Long Bay at BCV costs more to operate than the Luna Park Pool at BWV and the owners pay for both.

Bill
It's actually true of any amenity that not every guest uses (pool, fitness, etc) though some are more out there than others. The actual cost for this items should be fairly small (haven't looked at the numbers) and those that use points for this should generally be AKV guests due to the difficulty booking later and as noted, they will use more points and pay more dues on that number of points. I wouldn't call it unfair though no more than you would any other amenity charge that a given person doesn't use or doesn't use consistently. Plus every one who bought there knew or should have known up front about this issue and imbedded cost (resale assumes the same risks and commitments). The option would likely have been not to have a DVC option there at AK. To me it's similar to the valet parking issue had DVC decided to pass those costs along to owners at each respective resort, the only difference is there wasn't a choice like there was with the valet parking issue.

As I've posted before on other but similar topics, one has to consider the costs, economy of scale and whether an item is essential to a resort (pool). In a way the concierge rooms fit none of those other than it was a condition of the resort and a known situation prior to anyone buying in.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #20
Kidanifan08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
It's actually true of any amenity that not every guest uses (pool, fitness, etc) though some are more out there than others. The actual cost for this items should be fairly small (haven't looked at the numbers) and those that use points for this should generally be AKV guests due to the difficulty booking later and as noted, they will use more points and pay more dues on that number of points.

(Snip)

As I've posted before on other but similar topics, one has to consider the costs, economy of scale and whether an item is essential to a resort (pool). In a way the concierge rooms fit none of those other than it was a condition of the resort and a known situation prior to anyone buying in.
I agree with this. These five 2BR's with daily housekeeping and free food/drink have to make up such a small component of the overall AKV budget . . . perhaps negligible. And most of the time, the CL rooms are being used by AKV owners, so it is being utilized by people responsible for the MF's almost all of the time.

You have to wonder if this is something that DVC could turn back over to AKL. Not that I am advocating that option . . . we happened to enjoy our 4 nights on the CL. If it is only going to cost me $0.01 per point per year to keep CL, I would be willing to keep it.
POP 2004, POR Oct '08, SSR Jan '09 (first DVC trip!), AKV-K June '09, ASM Oct '09, CBR Jan '10, AKV-K Dec '10, CSR Feb '11, OKW Aug '11, Kidani/BLT Oct '11, BWV/GF Mar '12, Jambo-CL/BLT May/June '12, Kidani Dec '12, BWV Apr '13, BLT/Kidani July '13, Jambo-CL Apr '14, BCV/Kidani July '14, BWV/GF Oct '14, Jambo Dec '14, Jambo-CL July '15

Kidanifan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #21
Rizzo1
Mouseketeer

Cool CL Rooms

So, do the CL rooms only have windows? They don't have sliding doors as all other rooms?
Besides the safaris, daily mousekeeping service and food/drink available, what are the benefits to staying at a CL room?

"I am so abundantly blessed! I am so freaking blessed!"
Robin Roberts
Rizzo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:51 PM   #22
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo1 View Post
So, do the CL rooms only have windows? They don't have sliding doors as all other rooms?
Besides the safaris, daily mousekeeping service and food/drink available, what are the benefits to staying at a CL room?
They have doors to the balcony.

The only other benefit that I can think of is that you also have access to CL Concierge but to be honest often there is a wait to see them and they don't do anything that you can't do yourself.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:43 AM   #23
cwdefouw
DVC Member since 1999

We stayed there last year, on a trip where we only did one park, one day, Animal Kingdom, just to do the Sunrise Safari. It was nice, however we spent a lot more time in the room and in the lounge than a typical Park Warrior type of guest would. We would not do the CL for one of those types of trips. And I am not sure that we could justify the additional points spend or the worrying about whether or not I can get the stay that I want at 11 months, again.

We do like Jambo House over Kidani, mostly because of the proximity to additional restaurants. Since we only have a small contract at AKL, I think that for us, the value units will be our typical choice at 11 months. The risk of the poor view is outweighed by the low point requirement.

cwdefouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #24
dianeschlicht
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
DIS Earth Angel :)
I promise not to plot against the showering
today I can only think of bubbles :o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
So are you saying that the concierge rooms there for DVC don't have good views? I did consider staying concierge, but I've gotta admit that I'm all about the views of the animals at AKV. If concierge rooms have poor views, I may not do concierge.
Even if you are lucky enough to get one of the 3 rooms on the savanna view side, you will have limited viewing of the animals because of the location. Mostly we saw the road and an occasional Ankole that happened by.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:21 AM   #25
dianeschlicht
DIS Earth Angel :)
I promise not to plot against the showering
today I can only think of bubbles :o

The only real benefit of CL is the Sunrise safari. Sure the "treats" are nice, but not worth the extra points, and I don't care to have housekeeping, so that was a negative instead of a positive for me.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #26
SpaceMountain77
Kidani Villager & Victorian Gentleman

The allure of these coveted concierge-level villas still puzzles me. As an AKV owner, I find the value villas to be the true treasure at this resort. At 7:58am, on the 11-month mark, I am logging into the DVC website for a value villa, not a concierge villa.

While having the concierge-level villas may cost me more in maintenance fees, I would like to think that the extra amount I am paying is allowing me to stay longer in a value villa.

I should mention that we had a garden-view concierge room, in the Hawaii longhouse, at Disney's Polynesian Resort in 2003. Honestly, the cost far exceeded the service and amenities. We had nightly turndown service with a chocolate on the pillow. Food and drinks were offered at the lounge, but the selection was limited and no different from the offerings elsewhere at the resort. Finally, we did get a large Polynesian Resort chocolate bar on our last day. Although all of it was nice, looking back, the money would have been better spent on signature dining.
SpaceMountain77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #27
disneynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMountain77 View Post
The allure of these coveted concierge-level villas still puzzles me. As an AKV owner, I find the value villas to be the true treasure at this resort. At 7:58am, on the 11-month mark, I am logging into the DVC website for a value villa, not a concierge villa.

While having the concierge-level villas may cost me more in maintenance fees, I would like to think that the extra amount I am paying is allowing me to stay longer in a value villa.

I should mention that we had a garden-view concierge room, in the Hawaii longhouse, at Disney's Polynesian Resort in 2003. Honestly, the cost far exceeded the service and amenities. We had nightly turndown service with a chocolate on the pillow. Food and drinks were offered at the lounge, but the selection was limited and no different from the offerings elsewhere at the resort. Finally, we did get a large Polynesian Resort chocolate bar on our last day. Although all of it was nice, looking back, the money would have been better spent on signature dining.
You will find the much of what Disney offers is lacking in substance but it's still a great place to vacation. I just feel sad for people that don't really know what they are signing up for.

Bill

Old 08-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #28
Novakm
Mouseketeer

With all the talk about all AKV members paying so a select few can stay CL, I was wondering who really pays for concierge? A quick look at the points chart shows you need 70 to 90 more points for a week in CL vs. SV. At $5.67 per point, that's about $453.60 per unit per week, or $117,936 per year for all 5 2br units. Does it cost more than this to run CL? Hard to believe daily cleaning and snacks could cost that much.

If it costs more than that, they should adjust the points chart so CL guests pays a higher share of MF (by using more points).
Novakm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #29
Deb & Bill

Some people like club level because they aren't really spending time in the parks as much as they are spending time in the resort. They can sit in the lounge and partake of the lounge offerings while they read a book or play/work on their laptop and soak up the environment.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #30
disneynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novakm View Post
With all the talk about all AKV members paying so a select few can stay CL, I was wondering who really pays for concierge? A quick look at the points chart shows you need 70 to 90 more points for a week in CL vs. SV. At $5.67 per point, that's about $453.60 per unit per week, or $117,936 per year for all 5 2br units. Does it cost more than this to run CL? Hard to believe daily cleaning and snacks could cost that much.

If it costs more than that, they should adjust the points chart so CL guests pays a higher share of MF (by using more points).
Points have nothing to do with the cost of running CL. The AKV owners pay for the CL amenities just like BLT owners pay for TOTWL through their dues. The guest using those amenities doesn't pay for the privilege, the owners do.

Bill

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: