Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #166
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post
That stinks that you had a long wait and then pokey service. At least you guys seemed to make the best of it. I have to say that your food looks good, we've had one meal at R&C and it was beyond awful. I'm not usually one to write off Disney restaurants, but this was so bad I've had no interest in returning. Maybe I'm being hasty and should give it a second chance.

Glad you got a good fireworks view!
I know how you feel...when my family has a really bad experience at a restaurant, we tend to boycott them for years. Although, at Disney there are so many good restaurants that you may not end up going to one for a few years just because there are so many other awesome ones to squeeze in!
Old 11-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #167
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Fun Times at Coronado

I woke up on the third morning our Disney vacation and heard my brothers' two voices murmuring next door. One of them said, “Tell Emma, make sure she knows.”

Dart comes pattering into the room in his pajamas and says - “We’re in Florida.”

So then I had to get up and do a happy dance with him, because we were indeed in Florida and at WALT DISNEY WORLD!!!

We didn’t have plans for a park that AM, but we did have a fun breakfast we were excited to try at…

GOooooood Morning Coronado Springs!!

No, it wasn’t at the Maya Grill. They used to a have a breakfast buffet there that we always loved – there would be giant bowls of strawberries – BUT we were excited to be trying a new breakfast buffet…the one at the PEPPER MARKET!

This is SUCH a pretty restaurant. My favorite seating area is the back wall, the tables along the windows. Sadly it often seems to be closed, but today we asked if we could get a table there…

SCORE!

Now on to the buffet! They had…

…fresh fruit and muffins…

…not-so-fresh-looking waffles and fruit topping…

…eggs and potatoes and bacon and sausage, “cold ham and pork and salads and every good thing…” (If you know where that movie quote is from, you may give yourself 1000 cool points.)

…French toast and pancakes…

…and then there was the bakery section!!! Doesn’t it look lovely?

There were cinnamon rolls, croissants, muffins, rolls, and Danish…sadly nothing chocolate though.

Here was my plate! Drinks are also included - I had a cranberry juice and a hot chocolate.

And here was the lovely wall of windows we got to sit along. We had basically that whole section to ourselves!

You get to look out on all those bee-a-utiful palm trees!

I loved how you could look to your other side and see all the details of the Pepper Market too.

Our Pepper Market breakfast was just alright. It was fun to be able to get such a wide selection at a Disney buffet for $14.99 ($8.99 for kids), but the food was ok – not quite bad, but definitely not up to the usual high Disney standards. It does, however, count as a counter service credit, which is a pretty good deal. (I admit I’m kinda obsessed with finding things that are the best deals on the dining plan.)

I would say, if you’re interested in trying the new Pepper Market buffet, go for lunch. There is a larger selection, I felt the quality was better, plus you get some lovely desserts! (which obviously is a big selling point for me).

We finished up breakfast and still had some time to kill before we had to drive to the airport to pick up Dad and Porthos from their flight.

As anyone who has travelled to Disney with a child under the age of twelve knows, one of a child’s highlights at Disney is not the parks, not the meals, not the beautiful resort rooms…it’s the pool.

Dart loves Disney pools as much as the next kid, and the last time we stayed at Coronado he was pretty little, so he didn’t even remember the Dig Site! So we trekked across the lake to find ourselves some Mayan ruins…

Coronado has some bathrooms right off the pool, so we changed into our suits there.

Random fact: the Coronado pool bathrooms are quite nice, but the nicest pool bathrooms I’ve seen are at Caribbean Beach.

We set up camp at a table near the playground. Of course, Dart first had to check out the playground!

Coronado may have one of the most impressive playgrounds on property. I mean, you get to basically climb up into the ruins and slide down through a dragon. It’s like a kid-sized Tenochtitlan. How epic is that??

Even the swings look like they used to be played on in ancient times by the Aztec children.

The ancient Aztec sandbox is zig-zag shaped. Maybe it’s some sort of secret symbol? A message to the sun god??? Actually, you couldn’t really play in the ancient Aztec sand box, because the day was SO blisteringly hot and the sand was SCORCHING. It was WAY too hot to be in there in bare feet.

This is where Quetzalcoatl plays hop scotch.

Dart climbs up into the ruins…watch out for that spider!

AHHHH! Athos has been eated by a giant clay head!!!

Even the arcade is guarded by dragons.

Just chillin!

I think they do need a little more shade at the Dig Site. Or they need to develop a special kind of concrete that doesn’t absorb the Florida sun’s heat and won’t be so hot you have to hop from your flip flops to the water. Lol, I guess that’s just part of the swimming experience!

Dart enjoyed the Dig Site, then we tramped back to the car and stopped back at the apartment for some quick shoers. Then it was time to head to MCO - we were going to be Dad and Porthos's magical express. Their flight was smooth and on time, and it was an easy drive.

Then it was time for DHS (I still feel like a traitor when I type anything other than MGM). Coming up: Captain Hook as a hairdresser and hijinks at the Prime Time!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #168
kate14
Earning My Ears

cold ham and pork and salads and every good thing…” (If you know where that movie quote is from, you may give yourself 1000 cool points.)

Oh Lydia. Poor stupid girl.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #169
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

I'm with you on the whole 'getting the most for your money' thing. It makes the food taste better. Maybe. (Maybe not).

The Coronado pool/playground area looks so awesome! I've never really seen many pictures of it before. Excellent theming! Too bad the sidewalk was too hot though. That's NEVER good.

Hooray for the arrival of the rest of your family!
Old 11-15-2012, 09:24 PM   #171
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate14 View Post
cold ham and pork and salads and every good thing…” (If you know where that movie quote is from, you may give yourself 1000 cool points.)

Oh Lydia. Poor stupid girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
Dang - kate14 beat me to it. A&E version of Pride and Prejudice - the BEST version
You guys both get 2000 cool points for being so quick in recognizing it! I could basically quote Jane Austen every second of my life, especially from that P&P!! And Kate, "Oh Lydia" is so right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
I'm with you on the whole 'getting the most for your money' thing. It makes the food taste better. Maybe. (Maybe not).

The Coronado pool/playground area looks so awesome! I've never really seen many pictures of it before. Excellent theming! Too bad the sidewalk was too hot though. That's NEVER good.

Hooray for the arrival of the rest of your family!
ITA, saving money makes the food taste better. Kinda...

Coronado really does have some awesome details, and that playground theming is hard to beat! Dart is a playground as well as a pool fiend, so I know the playgrounds of Disney World pretty well... And it was wonderful to have the whole family together!
Old 11-16-2012, 09:49 AM   #172
scrapbookersdis
Yes, we are going to Disney World *again*!
It never occurred to me to wonder

Wow - a $15 buffet for a counter service credit?? That has to set a record for dining plan value. Looking forward to more!

Last edited by scrapbookersdis; 01-21-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #173
lauren_elizabeth
Disney World Lover

I've heard awesome things about the Pepper Market buffets! Do you know if the lunch buffet counts as a counter service credit as well?

The CS pool looks AWESOME! That's like a little boy's dream pool/playground!

Old 11-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #174
Curiouser&curiouser!
DIS Veteran

The Dig Site looks awesome!

I always wish places have more shade. I much prefer it to the sun (I burn in about 2.4 seconds) and I think pool areas are the worst! Other than sometimes having a few tables with umbrellas, there is usually nothing!
Old 11-17-2012, 01:51 AM   #175
RachelNinja
Sometimes I'd rather live in VMK than in real life!

I've never smelled Laila before. I will have to go see what the fuss is all about! I like the idea of getting it on the sticks and putting it in your bag.

Thanks for your honest food reviews as always! I am always intrigued by buffets, but I know it won't be worth it for me. Although I have to admit, Cape May for breakfast sounds pretty good since I saw they have biscuits and gravy!

Weird and Ninja Shout Out to You (Jan '15 TR in progress) // Mr. and Mrs. Weak Sauce Go the Distance (May '12 Disneymoon TR) // Delicious Indeed! (Feb '11 TR) // Saving Dole Whip Float Money (Feb '11 PTR) // Weird and Ninja’s Pre-Disneymoon (April '10 TR) // It's Better Than Stuffed Mezzaluna with Sausage! (April '10 PTR) // A DISer's Trip of Firsts! (Feb '08 TR) // The Flat Adventures of Weird and Ninja! (Living the Life Outside of VMK)

BLOG / INSTAGRAM / TWITTER - Msg me here if you want to follow
Old 11-17-2012, 06:25 AM   #176
Aussiesalad
Totes Mcgoats

Haha I love the 'we're in Florida' wake up call you got!
Definitely reason for a family happy dance!

That sounds like a pretty good deal for the buffet- bit of a letdown that it was just alright but it still looks like a fun place to eat.

The dig site looks so fun! They need to make playgrounds for adults.
Seriously!!
Old 11-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #177
MEK
DIS Veteran

I didn't even know that they Pepper Market had a breakfast buffet. That really is a good use of a QS credit. We ate dinner there in June and it was quite good. I would really like to try the lunch buffet. I understand its quite good.

Nice pictures of the dig area and pool. Such a gorgeous resort!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 11-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #178
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapbookersdis View Post
Wow - a $15 buffet for a counter service credit?? That has to set a record for dining plan value. Thanks for the tip. Looking forward to more!
I know!! Update coming up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren_elizabeth View Post
I've heard awesome things about the Pepper Market buffets! Do you know if the lunch buffet counts as a counter service credit as well?

The CS pool looks AWESOME! That's like a little boy's dream pool/playground!
YES, the lunch buffet counts too - it's an even better value than the breakfast! The Coronado pool and playground are definitely up there among the Disney pools.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:57 PM   #179
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiouser&curiouser! View Post
The Dig Site looks awesome!

I always wish places have more shade. I much prefer it to the sun (I burn in about 2.4 seconds) and I think pool areas are the worst! Other than sometimes having a few tables with umbrellas, there is usually nothing!
Disney is so smart in so many ways, but seating and shade are not always their strong points. I think they should just automatically add twice as much shade and twice as many benches to every area they build, then maybe there'd be enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelNinja View Post
I've never smelled Laila before. I will have to go see what the fuss is all about! I like the idea of getting it on the sticks and putting it in your bag.

Thanks for your honest food reviews as always! I am always intrigued by buffets, but I know it won't be worth it for me. Although I have to admit, Cape May for breakfast sounds pretty good since I saw they have biscuits and gravy!
Some people love Laila, some people can't stand it. But you definitley have to at least get a sniff of it!! We haven't been to Cape May in forever. We're not big seafood eaters, so dinner probably wouldn't be worth it - but I'd love to try breakfast sometime!
Old 11-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #180
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesalad View Post
Haha I love the 'we're in Florida' wake up call you got!
Definitely reason for a family happy dance!

That sounds like a pretty good deal for the buffet- bit of a letdown that it was just alright but it still looks like a fun place to eat.

The dig site looks so fun! They need to make playgrounds for adults.
Seriously!!
It was definitely a fabulous wake up call!! I thought I heard somewhere that the Pepper Market is owned by an outside company, so maybe that's why the food wasn't quite up to par?? And why the prices are low! lol, they should make a playground for grown-up's, that'd be cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I didn't even know that they Pepper Market had a breakfast buffet. That really is a good use of a QS credit. We ate dinner there in June and it was quite good. I would really like to try the lunch buffet. I understand its quite good.

Nice pictures of the dig area and pool. Such a gorgeous resort!
I was so surprised when I heard too!! It's a fun place, and so atmospheric.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: