Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #3616
EEsloveDis
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinascreative

I'm in the same boat. I would love to but financially it's not going to happen this time around. I'm looking at the Hershey 1/2 in the fall of 2013 though. Has anyone here done that one? http://www.hersheyhalfmarathon.com/
My husband has done the Hershey half twice.
1986-1st trip~5/2006-Animal Kingdom~6/2008-Beach Club~10/2009-Contemporary~2/2010-Pop Century~6/2010-Star Wars Weekend French Quarter~12/2010-Marco Island~12/2011-Disney Cruise Riverside~8/2012-Hilton Bonnet Creek~9/2012-Caribbean~10/2012-Hilton Downtown Disney~2/2013-Princess Half Marathon Hilton Bonnet Creek~10/2013 Hilton Bonnet Creek~4/2015 Expedition Everest Hilton Bonnet Creek
Old 11-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #3617
jodipaige2004
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinascreative View Post
I'm in the same boat. I would love to but financially it's not going to happen this time around. I'm looking at the Hershey 1/2 in the fall of 2013 though. Has anyone here done that one? http://www.hersheyhalfmarathon.com/
I think that one looks like so much fun!!! I was considering it, but it is a big drive for me and it is around the same time as the Niagara Falls Half-Marathon. I think I want to run Niagara! So many races, so little time.....

Jodi
www.2princessesontherun.wordpress.com
www.facebook.com/2princessesontherun
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #3618
Rupert B Puppenstein
DIS Veteran

I can't tell you how many times people recommend the Hershey Half. Although I heard it is pretty hilly. I had conflicts with another race this year, but am definitely looking at doing it next year. Although, I may just wait for the Anniversary.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #3619
Gryhndmom
Coast to Coast 2013....PHM and DL Half

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess on the Run View Post
Who knew our butts were so complicated?
Hope your feeling better soon and your DH is not making you the "butt" of his jokes !

As a really small busted gal I read everybody's frustration with finding the right sports bra for the D's, DDD's and higher with a little envy since I look for a sports bra with PADDING so I look like I have ****s ! What I didn't get up top...I got on the bottom...the Sir Mix Alot song says it all...and running/training for the PHM has only made it well...more pronounced!
Old 11-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #3620
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear8 View Post

I found one at the Under Armour outlet that is a sweatshirt material hoodie, but they say it is water proof. I think this is the one I got (it is warm! I wore it out once morning to walk the dog, when it was 36 and felt fine, though my hands were freezing because I forgot the gloves ) : http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/e...pid1232480-462
:
Thanks for the info. I went out to Sports Authority today and purchased a black one. I'll think I'll go back next week for the gray. Thanks again for the suggestion. I have never tried UnderArmour before, I may need to check out more items from that brand.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #3621
Gryhndmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
Hey, someone has to be last! Really, don't sweat it! I learned that running is really about YOU increasing YOUR time at this point. Some day I may be actually trying to WIN (baahhaahhhhaaaaaaaaa) but for now, it's just about getting better than I was before. I've been last 5-10 in a couple races. It's not fun, but I'm faster than everyone else who didn't get out there and try!

However, I am partial to BIG races (5K+) for this very reason. It's depressing to have the cops following right behind you picking up the cones. BTDT
Soooo like your reply...Doing my first 10K this weekend (Boerne YMCA Turkey Trot) and fear I will be last...but if I am...I will practice my princess wave like someone else on the thread said they would do if they were last!
Old 11-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #3622
Gryhndmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
Yep, for our pay grade, which I think is the lowest level (E4), Shades of Green is more expensive than the moderate resorts with the room only public or military discount for that time.
Do you know what day you will be flying San Antonio to Orlando ? Hubby and I are flying out on 21 Feb on the afternoon non-stop.

Are you doing the Boerne 10K Turkey Trot on Saturday?
Old 11-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #3623
rosermama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bskelly07

So far we have 5 people in our group. Spread the word to friends outside of this board too! The more the merrier. It'll help increase our chances of getting in . Thank you everyone for your interest in this!
I would be interested and I live here so no traveling for me.
2 things which concern me:
1) I will be out of the country on the 6th of Dec till the 8th how does this effect the group?
2) DC has a bad reputation of not doing inguaral runs very well. They have to be really organized with street closures and is the start by a metro where is the expo and packet pick up. When they did the Hot Chocolate the 1st time here it was a nightmare. So I am waiting for more details.

NWM emailed me back and told me the pace is 15 min mile

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note using DISBoards
Old 11-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #3624
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonFaerie
I pulled up the race results for the past few years for my Turkey Trot 10k. It looks like it's a serious runner race. I'm looking at a very high chance of dead last finish. Even if I take an entire minute off my fastest pace (that I've only been able to keep on an indoor track for 5K distances), I'll still only eek ahead of a couple of people.
I went to go respond to this on the Facebook page, but I can't get on there...anyone else having issues with Facebook today? I'm getting emails when someone posts, but can't get to the page....

Anyway....don't be discouraged! How many people do you think dropped out? YOU can do it! I've been last before....that feeling when you turn around and realize "wait, I'm it?" really sucks, but I comforted myself with the fact that 1)I didn't quit and 2) others flat out didn't finish.

One of my favorite sayings : "if you think you can't, you probably won't. "

Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
"Dreamy" 15th Anniversary TR!:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3004870
Old 11-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #3625
christinascreative
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert B Puppenstein View Post
I can't tell you how many times people recommend the Hershey Half. Although I heard it is pretty hilly. I had conflicts with another race this year, but am definitely looking at doing it next year. Although, I may just wait for the Anniversary.
I was excited because you get tickets to the park included in the $75 entry fee as well as a medal. Not too shabby. Hilly though... Hmm. I train on hills, but it depends on HOW hilly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEsloveDis View Post
My husband has done the Hershey half twice.
Did he find it hilly / hard ? What did he like /not like? Any advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipaige2004 View Post
I think that one looks like so much fun!!! I was considering it, but it is a big drive for me and it is around the same time as the Niagara Falls Half-Marathon. I think I want to run Niagara! So many races, so little time.....

Jodi
www.2princessesontherun.wordpress.com
www.facebook.com/2princessesontherun
Niagara, huh? Now I need to google that. You're not kidding when you say so many races, so little time... I just started running in August and I feel like I could be running a race every week... if my bank account and body could keep up

[/img]
Old 11-15-2012, 06:09 PM   #3626
bskelly07
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosermama View Post
I would be interested and I live here so no traveling for me.
2 things which concern me:
1) I will be out of the country on the 6th of Dec till the 8th how does this effect the group?
2) DC has a bad reputation of not doing inguaral runs very well. They have to be really organized with street closures and is the start by a metro where is the expo and packet pick up. When they did the Hot Chocolate the 1st time here it was a nightmare. So I am waiting for more details.

NWM emailed me back and told me the pace is 15 min mile

It doesn't effect the group at all! You just have to register between the dates, that's just when the last day to register is. So if you'd like to do it, just be sure to register before you leave! Where are you headed? Jealous!
I've been reading that Hot Chocolate is just a mess in general - a couple threads back someone was saying that they just throw everyone in there, walkers and fast runners. Then it's just congested and bad. NWM have been running a full/half marathon the past 7-8 years in San Fran and they are pretty well organized with that. I was reading a lot of peoples comments, the only thing they were disgruntled about was that the expo wasn't all that great. So I'm not sure if DC would be the problem, and hopefully since this isn't their first time doing a half, they would have all the procedures down for closing roads etc.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #3627
rosermama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bskelly07
It doesn't effect the group at all! You just have to register between the dates, that's just when the last day to register is. So if you'd like to do it, just be sure to register before you leave! Where are you headed? Jealous!
I've been reading that Hot Chocolate is just a mess in general - a couple threads back someone was saying that they just throw everyone in there, walkers and fast runners. Then it's just congested and bad. NWM have been running a full/half marathon the past 7-8 years in San Fran and they are pretty well organized with that. I was reading a lot of peoples comments, the only thing they were disgruntled about was that the expo wasn't all that great. So I'm not sure if DC would be the problem, and hopefully since this isn't their first time doing a half, they would have all the procedures down for closing roads etc.
We are heading out on the Disney Fantasy on Dec 1

I just wonder where they would hold the expo what day does it open?

Old 11-15-2012, 11:03 PM   #3628
poohbear8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonFaerie View Post
I pulled up the race results for the past few years for my Turkey Trot 10k. It looks like it's a serious runner race. I'm looking at a very high chance of dead last finish. Even if I take an entire minute off my fastest pace (that I've only been able to keep on an indoor track for 5K distances), I'll still only eek ahead of a couple of people.
I ran a 10k in July to get a time to submit for the TOT. I didn't check the previous year's results, which was probably good. The course was out and back and I saw many people heading back while I was still heading out! In the end, I ran a little quicker than my 5k time and had 45 people finish behind me. It was hot and humid (very much like TOT actually) and I was hurting. I thought I had dropped actually slower than I had, so my goal was to just finish any way possible! I was pleasantly surprised to find the time was good enough to move me up for the TOT!

Go out there and do your best! Don't worry about the others. You will have all of us cheering you on!
Old 11-16-2012, 12:58 AM   #3629
bskelly07
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosermama View Post
We are heading out on the Disney Fantasy on Dec 1

I just wonder where they would hold the expo what day does it open?

This is the info for the expo, I also think it's located on the course map I posted earlier (just the location)

Washington Harbor, Washington, DC

Thursday, April 25, 12:00PM – 8:00PM
Friday, April 26, 10:00AM – 8:00PM
Saturday, April 27, 8:00AM – 6:00PM
Old 11-16-2012, 08:12 AM   #3630
RunningWhimsy
Earning My Ears

I've been lurking for awhile but wanted to officially say hello. Just got my tiara I'm wearing for the race in the mail yesterday so of course now I'm wandering around the house with it on. lol So excited! Happy Friday, everyone!

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: