Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 11:00 AM   #16
tiggger1
I put vicks on my feet
It really cleans my floors and makes them softer!

I'm sorry but I would quit and go on my vacation. I could not work for a company that treated me that way. What does your husband do? It is something he could do somewhere else? Maybe somewhere that treats their employees better?
Old 11-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #17
mouseketeer_mom
DIS Veteran

You guys are awesome... you have no idea what a little "Dis anonymous" support has done for me today. DH is gonna try one last time this evening but who knows.

I truly appreciate all the helpful suggestions as well. For our family, vacations like this need to be all of us together, so going without him isn't an option.

And, as much as we were looking forward to Disney at Christmas and traveling with my family, rescheduling is the only option. So, with that said, if Ol' Ebeneezer sticks to his guns this evening, we will be going the February the 25th through March 4th. It stinks though, I'm just too bummed right now to be excited about that...
Register to remove

Old 11-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #18
Ashlander
DIS Veteran

Well I'm glad your backup plan for when to go to Disney is not too far off. However it is a huge disappointment when you only think you have 8 days to go! I'm hoping your husband gets good news tonight so you can all go and enjoy your vacation!

Me, DH, DS(11), DD(10), DD(8)

Ashlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #19
mouseketeer_mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggger1 View Post
I'm sorry but I would quit and go on my vacation. I could not work for a company that treated me that way. What does your husband do? It is something he could do somewhere else? Maybe somewhere that treats their employees better?
Bless him! Those were his first words and if I had said yes, he might have actually done just that. Although this incident and a few others over the past few months have caused him to think about looking for a new job, reality is that with three kids and a mortgage... he has to already have a new job before he can quit.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #20
Happyjen27
DIS Veteran

I admire your resilience!! Good for you for planning another trip in the face of this cancelled one. I really hope that his boss is able work something out with him, even if DH has to work weekends and overtime. Hopefully the 2 of them can come up with a way to get your vacation AND get the work done.

If all else fails, I guess the big box the kids open under the tree can be a countdown calendar to the trip in Feb.

This whole situation STINKS!!

Dec 2012: Polynesian, my first trip
Dec 2013: Contemporary
2014: 2 Non-Disney trips planned, going to wait and see how this whole FP+ thing shakes out.
Happyjen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #21
deserrai
DIS Veteran

I'm so sorry. I would hate to disappoint the kids. Hopefully, the boss will relent, but if not at least you get to reschedule soon.

deserrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #22
gracer9977
Happiness is Disney

I hope you get some good news tonight!!! Maybe some Disney magic will pop up and save the day.

I am glad that you have dates that you can fall back on so at least you don't have to lose the vacation altogether but it does totally suck to be so close and then to have it snatched away!!!

I know how hard it is to be stuck in a job. My DH hated his job and had to just suck it up for 3 years (he worked there for 5 years, but the last 3 were awful) but we had a mortgage and kids and I didn't make enough to keep us afloat. We managed to save up just over a year of savings and he quit his job and thankfully found a new one 3 months later but it was a scary few months wondering if he would be able to find a new job.

I am hoping that you get to go to Disney in 8 days as planned and that your DH can find a new job, at a new company that doesn't pull this kind of grinch behavior!!!
Old 11-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #23
Kdouglas
Earning My Ears

This is such a heartless thing to do I hope his boss let's it slide, but at least you have the option to reschedule!
Kdouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #24
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouseketeer_mom View Post
Bless him! Those were his first words and if I had said yes, he might have actually done just that. Although this incident and a few others over the past few months have caused him to think about looking for a new job, reality is that with three kids and a mortgage... he has to already have a new job before he can quit.
I sincerely hope he starts putting out resumes ASAP. This is an awful way for a company to treat its employees.

They have deadlines to meet, and if they don't others will? So this company has mismanaged the projects so badly this has to happen? They hadn't noticed the deadlines before? They don't have contracts with their business partners and their business partners can just have "someone else" do what they need? I mean it makes no sense, right? Sounds like a bad company overall.

So I hope that he starts looking for new employment soon. (of course, that might mess with the rescheduled vacation)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #25
Daisy'sMama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggger1 View Post
I would say it is such a blessing that your husband has a job in this economy. With unemployment where it is, we are thankful to have a house and a car. If you get to reschedule, then that can be a blessing too. Look for the positive and keep your chin up. As far as quitting, I hardly think vacation time is worth sacrificing your ability to pay your mortgage and put food on the table.
Daisy'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #26
disykat
DIS Veteran

It sounds like you were able to do a change without losing money? That's terrific!

I was going to join in the go without him advice if the money was going to be lost.

I don't know what employers are thinking sometimes. Years ago, DH and I almost had to cancel our honeymoon. DH said they acted like even giving him the day of the wedding was asking too much. In the end, he took it anyway (he's union and, although they tried, they really can't take it away.) It set his career back a few years, but was worth it.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #27
Nayan
DIS Veteran

Location: About an hour east of WDW. 192 all the way "home". :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy'sMama View Post
I would say it is such a blessing that your husband has a job in this economy. With unemployment where it is, we are thankful to have a house and a car. If you get to reschedule, then that can be a blessing too. Look for the positive and keep your chin up. As far as quitting, I hardly think vacation time is worth sacrificing your ability to pay your mortgage and put food on the table.
I agree. A vacation can be rescheduled but either losing a job or taking one for much less money just because you don't get to take a vacation would be much worse. I've had that discussion with my DH and as much as he might gripe and complain he knows he can't go anywhere else and make as much as he is right now. It stinks you might not be able to go now but if he did quit you might not be able to go again period.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #28
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy'sMama View Post
I would say it is such a blessing that your husband has a job in this economy. With unemployment where it is, we are thankful to have a house and a car.
So, it's a blessing to work for a company that takes advantage of their workers? A company that cancels all vacations for the rest of the year? Should the OP's DH go and give the owner a big wet kiss for being treated so poorly just because he signs the paychecks? The boss is clearly exploiting the workers and threatening them with losing their job if they complain. Shut up and sit down. If being shafted is a "blessing", please spare me any of those kinds of blessings!

OP, I hope that things work out for your family {{hugs}}.
robinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:43 PM   #29
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post
I agree. A vacation can be rescheduled but either losing a job or taking one for much less money just because you don't get to take a vacation would be much worse. I've had that discussion with my DH and as much as he might gripe and complain he knows he can't go anywhere else and make as much as he is right now. It stinks you might not be able to go now but if he did quit you might not be able to go again period.
DH and i have this same problem. he quit a job (after 22 years) that was working him to death (72-84 hours per week, 6-7 12 hour shifts each week!) for a job that pays more, but he only gets 40-42 hours per week. of course, now he's complaining that he hates the job, but, there is NOWHERE around here that pays even close to what he's making at his current job, so he'll either have to pray he can transfer to another department, or suck it up.

OP, i'm so sorry this has happened to you and your family and i pray your DH brings home good news tonight.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #30
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
So, it's a blessing to work for a company that takes advantage of their workers? A company that cancels all vacations for the rest of the year? Should the OP's DH go and give the owner a big wet kiss for being treated so poorly just because he signs the paychecks? The boss is clearly exploiting the workers and threatening them with losing their job if they complain. Shut up and sit down. If being shafted is a "blessing", please spare me any of those kinds of blessings!

OP, I hope that things work out for your family {{hugs}}.
I am with you - of course the employee cannot quit his job but there is no reason to be thankful for a boss and job that are exploitive and worse. I have just seen more and more of this lately - and terribly in my age range of almost time to retire but not quite yet. It is so hard to hear be thankful that you have a job...my husband lost his job almost two years ago and went back to work (in his field) in a position that would be considered entry level but hey they are able to get all these people with 30 years experience who have been let go elsewhere and are paying them what he made starting out in 1976 in his field. Oh and pretty much all of these jobs are going to contract worker positions so there is no vacation (ever), no benefits (ever). So annoying and sorry for the hijack there -- I prefer to stay calm about this but every now and again it just gets to me.

And for the OP I am so sorry you are going through this. I definitely think if my husband did anything differently it would have been to look for work while he still had a job and leave the postion before losing it. I sincerely hope everything works out for you.

Liz
Traveliz is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: