Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-15-2012, 09:04 AM   #3601
poohbear8
DIS Veteran
 
poohbear8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 929

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiHD View Post
Since I have never been, I was looking forward to going to the Wide World of Sports for the expo. Does anyone know why the moved the venue ??
I've read it is due to the Brave's Spring training schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosermama View Post
I am driving down Friday morning from VA and staying at BLT. Will there be a place to park if I drive over there?

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note using DISBoards
Plan to arrive early. I think parking will be tricky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiHD View Post
Princesses...I'm looking for a running jacket with hoodie, (a must) that will hold up in the rain. Any suggestions ??? I'm not having much luck looking online.
Thanks
I found one at the Under Armour outlet that is a sweatshirt material hoodie, but they say it is water proof. I think this is the one I got (it is warm! I wore it out once morning to walk the dog, when it was 36 and felt fine, though my hands were freezing because I forgot the gloves ) : http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/e...pid1232480-462

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy0519 View Post
Had the scheduled MRI and X rays today. I am totally out . I have a tibial plateau fracture. Ian scheduled to see any orthopedic surgeon in the morning.

I think that someone mentioned that it is possible to defer enrollment in a PHM to the next year. Anyone have any idea of how I might go about this?

Thanks!
I'm hoping you heal quickly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeisCrazyGood View Post
Hi, ladies!

I'm so excited to find this thread! I registered today for the Disney Princess Half!!

I'll cut to the chase: I'm fluffy to the tune of about 50 pounds, average fitness level, and this is my first ever race!

Is this possible?? Can I do this??

I started the Jeff Galloway training program, and I can fairly easily run/walk the first few sessions of Week 1. But I only have 14 weeks to get ready. I'm not a runner...but REALLY want to be!

Can you ladies give me some advice? I REALLY want to do this!
YES, you can do this!! I was never a runner, but loved the idea. I was at WDW in January and after seeing all of the ages and body types of the marathon runners I knew I wanted to do a race. My DH told me if I trained he would send me back. I started training Jan. 10th of this year and ran the Royal Family 5k (non-stop due to a fear of being swept...I should have walked some ) in Feb! I have also done a 10K and the TOT race. I am signed up for the Princess and have plans for go for coast to coast in 2014. Also, I have extra fluffiness also, which I hope I will loose once I starte moving consistently again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bskelly07 View Post
Princesses! This is a SUPER off topic post, but we've discussed other races on here, so I figure to take my chances with this one.

Nike Women is hosting an inaugural half marathon in DC on April 28th. I was signed up and chosen to compete in the San Francisco half this past October, but the girls I was supposed to go with - one friendship unfortunately fell apart, one found out she had a heart condition during training, and the other ended up getting pregnant! I couldn't justify spending 1500 dollars on airfare and hotels to go. It's eaten me up inside, because I REALLY wanted to do it. They choose who goes by lottery, so the chances of signing up as a group gives a better chance of getting in. Because if one name gets picked, you all get to go.

NONE of my friends here in Tucson are runners. I'm hoping maybe some of you east coast princesses may be interested in making a group? Or west coast! If someone already knows someone who has one and I could join it? I've ALWAYS wanted to go to DC and to participate in this half would mean so much to me! Registration opens on Friday I believe (from their Facebook). I'm probably going to apply for a group number either way, so if ANYONE is interested in joining a team, I would love you and thank you forever. There's no limit to how many people in a group I'm pretty sure. So let me know! THANK YOU!!

PS this doesn't mean we have to run together - once you're in it's independent. But if I get a group and we do get in, I would LOVE to meet whoever has signed up with me and give them the biggest hugs in the world, and I give nice big hugs !! Oh, and did I mention, instead of a medal at the end, you get a Tiffany's necklace handed to you by firefighters in tuxedos?

-Beth
I live outside of DC and would love to run it. I don't know DC that well and it does intimidate me!

If I sign up with the group and they draw my name, I am stuck doing it, since they will charge my credit card, right? I don't have any running buddies locally, so it would be nice to have someone run with me in DC. I am not able to run now still , so I am worried about signing up. I see the foot Dr on the 3rd for a follow up. He has asked that I not run until then to allow the tendonitis in my heel to get better and for me to get used to the new insoles. I want to start training again, especially since I haven't done any running since the TOT.
poohbear8 is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #3602
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!
 
Princess on the Run's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 695

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear8 View Post
I found one at the Under Armour outlet that is a sweatshirt material hoodie, but they say it is water proof. I think this is the one I got (it is warm! I wore it out once morning to walk the dog, when it was 36 and felt fine, though my hands were freezing because I forgot the gloves ) : http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/e...pid1232480-462
I don't have that specific one but I have another UA Storm top and it is waterproof for practical purposes. I wore it to a rainy football game and stayed dry. I don't know that I'd try swimming in it but it kept me warm and dry in a mild rain so I give it --Sincerely, an UA Addict
__________________
Aimée DH DS (7) DS(5) DS(3)

Princess on the Run is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #3603
JerzPrincess
Earning My Ears
 
JerzPrincess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bskelly07
Princesses! This is a SUPER off topic post, but we've discussed other races on here, so I figure to take my chances with this one.

Nike Women is hosting an inaugural half marathon in DC on April 28th. I was signed up and chosen to compete in the San Francisco half this past October, but the girls I was supposed to go with - one friendship unfortunately fell apart, one found out she had a heart condition during training, and the other ended up getting pregnant! I couldn't justify spending 1500 dollars on airfare and hotels to go. It's eaten me up inside, because I REALLY wanted to do it. They choose who goes by lottery, so the chances of signing up as a group gives a better chance of getting in. Because if one name gets picked, you all get to go.

NONE of my friends here in Tucson are runners. I'm hoping maybe some of you east coast princesses may be interested in making a group? Or west coast! If someone already knows someone who has one and I could join it? I've ALWAYS wanted to go to DC and to participate in this half would mean so much to me! Registration opens on Friday I believe (from their Facebook). I'm probably going to apply for a group number either way, so if ANYONE is interested in joining a team, I would love you and thank you forever. There's no limit to how many people in a group I'm pretty sure. So let me know! THANK YOU!!

PS this doesn't mean we have to run together - once you're in it's independent. But if I get a group and we do get in, I would LOVE to meet whoever has signed up with me and give them the biggest hugs in the world, and I give nice big hugs !! Oh, and did I mention, instead of a medal at the end, you get a Tiffany's necklace handed to you by firefighters in tuxedos?

-Beth
I'm in! Sounds like fun!
JerzPrincess is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #3604
JerzPrincess
Earning My Ears
 
JerzPrincess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbecker1
Longtime lurker, first time poster. I love reading everyone's posts and words of encouragement. This forum is very inspirational for me!!! I will be running the Princess Half, and it will be my first race. Two questions, does anyone know if Shades of Green provides transportation to the race? My second question is, can I change my estimated finish time with Run Disney? I'm thinking I will finish in about 3 hours instead of 3:30. Thanks everyone!!
Is there a particular reason you are looking at Shades? There are some awesome military deals to stays on property right now at one of the host hotels. If you need some help let me know!
JerzPrincess is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #3605
MoonFaerie
DIS Veteran
 
MoonFaerie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Big Orange Country
Posts: 1,748

I pulled up the race results for the past few years for my Turkey Trot 10k. It looks like it's a serious runner race. I'm looking at a very high chance of dead last finish. Even if I take an entire minute off my fastest pace (that I've only been able to keep on an indoor track for 5K distances), I'll still only eek ahead of a couple of people.
__________________
Me DS (10) DD (9)
MoonFaerie is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 10:12 AM   #3606
MoonFaerie
DIS Veteran
 
MoonFaerie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Big Orange Country
Posts: 1,748

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
Worst case, you can always decide not to finish if you're really feeling awful. Worth giving it a try! Feel better soon.
True. It looks like there are a lot of walkers for this race, so I can always finish it walking.
__________________
Me DS (10) DD (9)
MoonFaerie is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #3607
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran
 
sissy_ib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,765

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzPrincess View Post
Is there a particular reason you are looking at Shades? There are some awesome military deals to stays on property right now at one of the host hotels. If you need some help let me know!
Yep, for our pay grade, which I think is the lowest level (E4), Shades of Green is more expensive than the moderate resorts with the room only public or military discount for that time.
__________________
sissy_ib is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #3608
christinascreative
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonFaerie View Post
I pulled up the race results for the past few years for my Turkey Trot 10k. It looks like it's a serious runner race. I'm looking at a very high chance of dead last finish. Even if I take an entire minute off my fastest pace (that I've only been able to keep on an indoor track for 5K distances), I'll still only eek ahead of a couple of people.
I know it's hard but try not to worry about it. Focus on the fact that you are doing this for YOUR time for Disney. That's what I did at my 10k last weekend. It was a hilly/hard course and it's the same people who do that race every year (I know someone where this was their 20th year!). There weren't really any other 10k choices by me, so I had to do it. I knew I was going to be a close to DLF. And I was #565 out of 582. Time was 1:21. Oh well. By the end I was just super happy to finish and I was happy with my time since I thought I'd be over 1:30 at least.
Try to focus more about you getting through it, and know that you've got a cheerleader from afar! You can do it!
__________________


[/img]
christinascreative is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #3609
DisneyParrothead
Mouseketeer
 
DisneyParrothead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess on the Run View Post
I don't have that specific one but I have another UA Storm top and it is waterproof for practical purposes. I wore it to a rainy football game and stayed dry. I don't know that I'd try swimming in it but it kept me warm and dry in a mild rain so I give it --Sincerely, an UA Addict
It's so nice to find another UA addict , though I have to admit I bought a Nike winter shirt last weekend. It has thumb holes and I've never seen UA with those.
__________________
"It's not my fault being the biggest and the strongest. I don't even exercise."

Disney Princess half marathon 2012

MetroPCS Dallas half marathon 2012


Eugene half marathon 2013

WDW Half Marathon 2014



http://inlesleyscorner.blogspot.com/
DisneyParrothead is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #3610
longhorns2
DIS Veteran
 
longhorns2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin-ish, TX
Posts: 1,877

Hey, someone has to be last! Really, don't sweat it! I learned that running is really about YOU increasing YOUR time at this point. Some day I may be actually trying to WIN (baahhaahhhhaaaaaaaaa) but for now, it's just about getting better than I was before. I've been last 5-10 in a couple races. It's not fun, but I'm faster than everyone else who didn't get out there and try!

However, I am partial to BIG races (5K+) for this very reason. It's depressing to have the cops following right behind you picking up the cones. BTDT
__________________
Patty, aka Mommy to DS 1 DS 2 DD 1 DS 3 and DD 2

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
longhorns2 is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #3611
sherekhan
DLF>DNF>>DNS
 
sherekhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 250

DC race

Originally Posted by bskelly07

Nike Women is hosting an inaugural half marathon in DC on April 28th. I was signed up and chosen to compete in the San Francisco half this past October, but the girls I was supposed to go with - one friendship unfortunately fell apart, one found out she had a heart condition during training, and the other ended up getting pregnant! I couldn't justify spending 1500 dollars on airfare and hotels to go. It's eaten me up inside, because I REALLY wanted to do it. They choose who goes by lottery, so the chances of signing up as a group gives a better chance of getting in. Because if one name gets picked, you all get to go.

-Beth

Thanks Beth. I think I'm going pass on the group. Maybe I'll do it individually, but I don't want to hold y'all up with my indecision
sherekhan is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #3612
bskelly07
Mouseketeer
 
bskelly07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never to old View Post
I might be crazy. I am attempting my first half earlier that month. I am thinking about this one too. I have to see if my work schedule can be rearranged. I will let you.
Nothin' wrong with bein' a little cray cray! We all are . I'm doing two halves back to back with only a few weeks in between, I think it's doable. But don't push yourself if you don't know if you can do it! You have until dec 6 to email me for the group ID, so mull it over! No pressure, we'd love to have you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sau418 View Post
This looks awesome, I so wish I could do it but I am running the Pittsburgh half the following weekend. I don't think running two halves two weeks in a row would be a good idea for me.
Darn! Well, best of luck on that half! I'm sure you'll rock it

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear8 View Post
I live outside of DC and would love to run it. I don't know DC that well and it does intimidate me!

If I sign up with the group and they draw my name, I am stuck doing it, since they will charge my credit card, right? I don't have any running buddies locally, so it would be nice to have someone run with me in DC. I am not able to run now still , so I am worried about signing up. I see the foot Dr on the 3rd for a follow up. He has asked that I not run until then to allow the tendonitis in my heel to get better and for me to get used to the new insoles. I want to start training again, especially since I haven't done any running since the TOT.
Aw, don't be intimidated! I think I read somewhere that it's fairly 'flat and fast'. Nothing like their San Fran race, which is hills upon hills . I'm sure this course is going to be insanely beautiful, and well worth it! So sorry to hear about your injury. You can definitely wait until you hear back from your dr about signing up, registration closes on december 6th! If ANY of the girls who sign up names get pulled - the whole group gets into the race (that's why the more the merrier!). Unfortunately yes that means you would be out 150 dollars if you end up not being able to go. They aren't nice like disney to let you defer it for another time . I had to come to terms with it when I couldn't make it to San Fran.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherekhan View Post
Thanks Beth. I think I'm going pass on the group. Maybe I'll do it individually, but I don't want to hold y'all up with my indecision
You wouldn't be holding anyone up! The point of the group is to increase the chances of us getting in. One name gets pulled - the whole group is accepted into the race. After that, it is completely independent. You are not required to run together, pick up everything together, or anything. You have until dec 6th to decide, and I HIGHLY recommend going in the group, it'll increase your chances by a landslide. There are people who have been trying 7 years to get into San Fran, and they always miss out on the lottery because they are just one person against 25,000+ applicants. Nothin' wrong with mulling it over. Just e-mail me if you decide to do it!




So far we have 5 people in our group. Spread the word to friends outside of this board too! The more the merrier. It'll help increase our chances of getting in . Thank you everyone for your interest in this!
bskelly07 is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #3613
longhorns2
DIS Veteran
 
longhorns2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin-ish, TX
Posts: 1,877

I would LOVE to do that half. But I don't think I can afford the travel so soon after 2 Disney trips. And it's my DH bday. Me getting jewels from hot firemen may NOT be on his agenda for his birthday! lol
__________________
Patty, aka Mommy to DS 1 DS 2 DD 1 DS 3 and DD 2

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
longhorns2 is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 01:48 PM   #3614
paxsarah


Mouseketeer
 
paxsarah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: GA
Posts: 602

Hi everybody! I've been pretty absent from this forum since I'm not doing a marathon weekend race, but I'm running the Princess with a group of friends so I thought I'd pop in on this thread, at least. My first Princess half!

Now I just have to decide whether to do the 5K as well, hmm...
__________________
paxsarah is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #3615
christinascreative
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
I would LOVE to do that half. But I don't think I can afford the travel so soon after 2 Disney trips. And it's my DH bday. Me getting jewels from hot firemen may NOT be on his agenda for his birthday! lol
I'm in the same boat. I would love to but financially it's not going to happen this time around. I'm looking at the Hershey 1/2 in the fall of 2013 though. Has anyone here done that one? http://www.hersheyhalfmarathon.com/
__________________


[/img]
christinascreative is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: