Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 09:14 AM   #16
Donnainnj
Loves having an AP
Has lost about 4 toppers

If I had DVC points to use, and wanted a more budget friendly trip I would go to Disney Hilton Head. Love that place. I would have a hard time being at AKL and not hitting the parks. There are plenty of things to do, but over a week I would be itching to be in the parks.
Donna
Old 11-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #17
PrincessSarah314
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinysparklybubbles View Post
Checking out other resorts? Watching fireworks from the Poly? The boardwalk at night? Fishing? Go to Fort Wilderness and rent bikes? Ride the boat from Hollywood Studios? Tea at the grand Floridian?

I couldn't do it. I would need to go to the parks some!

Bus roulette? Get on the first bus that shows up at the resort, get on it and go to that theme park and then get on the next bus that shows up and explore there?
We've been to most of the resorts, but DBF hasn't seen a few Values and Moderates so I may have to take him there to explore! We love the Poly, so watching fireworks from the beach there sounds beautiful! I love the boardwalk, we always go there. We're not the fishing type, so I think we'll skip that one I didn't realize they did tea at GF. I will have to look into that. Thanks for the tips!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #18
PrincessSarah314
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment814 View Post
I could do it if we had a car...but I don't know if we cold keep it all that cheap. We do a lot of non parks things, but many cost money.

*check out Celebration or other neighboring towns
*gatorland
*rent a boat at yacht club ,the poly or DTD (we rent a pontoon nearly every trip.)
*Winter Summerland mini golf
*Disney Quest
* Regal Boat Plant tour (DBF is dying to do this.)
*beach day
We have talked about renting a car, so that is probably going to happen. We don't mind spending money, just trying to keep down to less than we would spend on park admission, which I'm not sure we can do

We have never been to Celebration and I've always wanted to go there, so I think we will do that! Idk what Gatorland is, so I will have to Google it. Renting a boat sounds nice too. Mike hates putt-putt even though I love it, so I think we'll pass on the mini-golf. Disney Quest is a no-go. We went there last time (part of our PAPs so it was free) and Mike really didn't enjoy it much. I've been there several times over the year. Definitely am down for a beach day though! What is the Regal Boat Plant Tour?
Old 11-16-2012, 03:24 PM   #19
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

Location: Currently working for the Mouse in Beijing, China with Disney English.

For sure you can go to WDW and not go to the Parks and have a very magical time! AKL is a great resort to just enjoy being - kick back relax and enjoy! Especially since you are booked club level - should be very nice! Since I am in the area I often go to WDW and not hit the Parks - some things I enjoy -

-riding the boat transportation - go to Ft. Wilderness, watch the ponies eating their dinner, sit on the dock watch the sunset over Bay Lake - Hoop de Doo or Mickey's BBQ and Trail End is good value for a buffet IMO.
-POR - go see Yee Haw Bob, carriage ride, boat to DTD
-SSR - play a game of pool in the Turf Club lounge - have a drink, sit in the rocking chair at High Rock Springs
-GF - listen to the jazz band - walk around the grounds, sit as Gasparillas watching the world go by, tea at the Garden View Tea Room
-CSR - love the gift shop - have a drink or bite to eat sitting outside by the lake, hammock
- DTD of course - I love the concerts in the evenings
- icecream at the Boardwalk - Yacht Club, Beach Club, Boardwalk

And if you are really itching for a park but don't want to dish out for the AP just yet - Seaword is a fairly good bargain IMO.
Jill * 1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR * August 2014 Hong Kong Disneyland *
New Trip Report Hong Kong Disneyland http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3323118
Trip Reports WDW and DLRP http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ching+t+shirts
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2419270http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2476348
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....rd+trip+reporthttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....le+trip+report
ExpatDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #20
Disney-Kim

Always planning our next trip !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessSarah314 View Post
We are booked for 7 nights Club Level at AKL. Here is the crazy part: we don't want to do any parks, at all, for the whole week.

We are a couple in our 30's traveling without our teenager.

We've done the theme parks a lot in the past year, plus a 7 night cruise on the Fantasy. We had APs but they recently expired, and we don't want to purchase park tickets, as we are trying to keep the costs down. We booked the room using DVC so there was no cost to us OOP.

I just worry that when I get there I'm going to get the itch to go to the parks! I'm almost to our 180 days so we are getting ready to contact IPO and I am looking for suggestions of things to do that would be fun, relatively inexpensive, and maybe something we don't normally do since we are usually in the parks. For example, we've never seen La Nouba, but I have a feeling the ticket prices will eliminate that from our itinerary.

Am I crazy to think that I can last a week in The World without theme parks??
the temptation would do me in...I would HAVE to go to the parks

~ WDW Boardwalk Inn May 13 ~Disneyland GCH Sept 12 ~ Disneyland GCH Nov 2011 ~ CBR May 2010 ~Polynesian Sept 09 ~ POR May09 ~ VWL May08 ~ Polynesian May07 ~ BCV May06 ~ VWL May05 ~ VWL May04 ~ BWV May 03~ Yacht Club Concierge Sept 02 ~ Polynesian Concierge for our Honeymoon May 02 ~ Beach Club 09/01 ~ CSR, POR, POFQ, and CBR on our previous trips back to 1992~
Disney-Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #21
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I couldn't do it.

If I'm paying to stay at a Disney Resort, I'm going to the parks.

Connie

Not sure when my next trip will be

WDW: 16 family trips, 9 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:28 PM   #22
Kim1964
Was intimidated by her bug, but don't worry she's conquered it!

I don't think it's crazy. Between the parks and the resorts, the thing I most look forward to on our trips is the time at the resort. I have considered a resorts only trip, and will probably do it someday. I enjoy the parks, but the relaxation at the resort is my favorite part of the trip.
Kim1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #23
scanne
OK, I must have really small ears
It is great to get exposure
Might get a tutorial from a student

Location: NJ but I wish I lived somewhere in Florida like Cinderella's Castle!

I don't think I could do it. I have to see the castle at least once per trip up close and personal.
1/92 CBR;12/96 ASMu; 6/98 CSR; 6/00 GF; 4/01 Disneyland; 6/01 Polynesian; 12/01 AK and GF; 8/03 WL; 2/04 ASMu; 10/04 WL; 7/05 Polynesian; 10/05 WL; 7/06 WL; 9/06 GF; 7/07 POP and Polynesian; 12/07 WL; 8/08 Beach Club; 6/09 Beach Club; 7/10 Portofino Bay and Polynesian; 8/11 Royal Pacific and WL; 10/11 - Animal Kingdom Lodge for MNSSHP; 7 and 8/12 Split stay at POR (Royal Guest Room) and Wilderness Lodge again ; 8/13 WL OFC!; 11/13 - Disneyland Paradise Pier; 2/2014 Wilderness Lodge/RunDisney!; 8/2014 Hard Rock Hotel/Beach Club - Stone Harbor Club/Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf for my 40th Birthday!

scanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #24
figment814
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessSarah314

We have talked about renting a car, so that is probably going to happen. We don't mind spending money, just trying to keep down to less than we would spend on park admission, which I'm not sure we can do

We have never been to Celebration and I've always wanted to go there, so I think we will do that! Idk what Gatorland is, so I will have to Google it. Renting a boat sounds nice too. Mike hates putt-putt even though I love it, so I think we'll pass on the mini-golf. Disney Quest is a no-go. We went there last time (part of our PAPs so it was free) and Mike really didn't enjoy it much. I've been there several times over the year. Definitely am down for a beach day though! What is the Regal Boat Plant Tour?

We had a lovely breakfast in Celebration last trip, the downtown is cute but small. We enjoyed driving around and discussing our favorite houses. Grab the town newspaper...it's an interesting read!

Regal is a boat manufacturer...by DBF loves to see how things are made.

Gatorland is enough to fill an afternoon or morning.
Previous Trips to WDW: Offsite (1980, 1996, 1997, 2008); SSR (2005, 2008, 2010, 2011); BWV (2009, 2010, 2011,2012); WLV (2010); AKL-Jambo (2011); AKL-Kidani (2011); BLT (2012) Upcoming: 2013 BWV (2) and AKL-Jambo

My WISH Journal
figment814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #25
Peaseblossom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessSarah314 View Post
Am I crazy to think that I can last a week in The World without theme parks??
Depends - are you a grass-is-always-greener person? Will you feel like you're missing out?

I am. I book (normally AKL), then I think "Hey, if I stay at a Moderate, I'd have a lot more money to do other stuff." But, I know, I KNOW, every time I'd see an AKL bus, I would pine for it.

It comes down to your priorities. But you couldn't pick a better resort to spend time at. It makes me sad to think that even if I won the lottery, I still wouldn't be allowed to live there!
Old 11-17-2012, 06:21 AM   #26
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

There are certainly non-Park things that you could do -- I could send you my list of most-of-what-we-didn't-get-to-do from our trip last month , but...

I would have a hard time not going to the Parks. Since you seem to be okay with that idea, what if you budgeted for maybe two days Parkhoppers. Then you could do MOSTLY non-Park stuff, but fill that urge to go into the Parks if/when it hits, eat at restaurants you may want to dine at that are within a Park, and have the best of both worlds.

I don't know that I could do it, heck, I couldn't even set aside a day on our October visit at AKV to just "hang," but AK is definitely a place that offers a lot to do while "hanging" if you want to do it.

- Dreams

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:37 AM   #27
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

If I were to do a no parks resort only trip I do think AKL is one of e best suited for it. Just te shire uniqueness of AKL makes it perfect for that type of trip. I spent a long weekend at AKL in 2006 before Kidani and spent much of my time at the resort. Wonderful photographic opportunities, interesting displays and the best breakfast buffet on Disney property IMO. The Mara is also a good option plus Jiko and now Sanna too. Yum!

Since you say you have visited the parks already this year I do not think the idea of not hitting the parks this trip is crazy at all. I know when I did go to the parks I could not wait to get back to AKL.

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:23 AM   #28
ready123go
DIS Veteran

Are you a DVC member? Don't mean to temp you, but they are running a special on AP's until the end of the year - $399 for members.

Restaurant.com sometimes has coupons for the dinner shows in the Orlando area like Sleuth's, Arabian Knights, Pirates, etc. It would be pricey to do all of them, but maybe one would be affordable. Restaurant.com also has coupons for a couple of dining places in Celebration and Universal resorts.

Someone else mentioned Old Town.

We did Gatorland last year. If you are a fan of Animal Planet it is great. Wish we had gone earlier in the day.

...or you could just visit all the Walmart stores in Orlando... (I know my DH would loooove that!)

Have fun, whatever you decide!
Old 11-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #29
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

I agree with the others that said it can be done and you are not crazy. We started going to Disney in 2001 (on property starting in 2002) and went from spending all day at the parks to spending 2-3 hours in a park, with the rest of our time relaxing/swimming/enjoying the resort and hopping around to other resorts and DTD for shopping, eating, etc. As a pp mentioned, I also think AKL is a great resort to stay at if you're not going to any parks as the resort is kind of remote and out away from everything and less hustle and bustle than the other resorts. If you are one who gets to the parks at rope drop and stay there until closing, then it might be a little tough to not go. But if not, I think it is definitely doable to have a trip without any parks as there is so much to do on property that doesn't involve the parks. Have a great trip .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:55 PM   #30
Xclusive2WDW
Mouseketeer

I love a challenge While I most likely would not be able to resist the parks completely, I could definitely enjoy myself just with the resorts especially AK!!! Sleep in and then take WDW in, sounds like a great plan to me
Some suggestions I have would be: 1. Ask your CL IPO for a daily plan of events during your stay. Others have mentioned the safari's, culinary tours, wines tasting, evening movies, ect. . . Some have a cost others don't. Personally I am looking forward to purchasing the Wanyama Safari for my 2013 trip. While it is $190 pp, it includes the safari, dinner at Jiko (which I believe includes wine), tax, tip and a donation to the conservation. Since one could easily spend $60+ pp at Jiko without tax or tip, to me the cost seems worth it.
2. Pamper Yourself at a Spa. Disney World has two on site Spas. One at the Grand Floridian and the other at Saratoga Springs Resort. Go to the spa's website for coupons.
3. Sammy Duvall's watersports as well as the Richard Petty driving experience. You can often find discounts online, even Disney offers a discount (AP member's, MYW packages, online, ect). Undercovertourist also has the RP driving experience at a discount from it's normal $99 cost (cost of a ride along).
4. Specialty cruises for fireworks, beach activities at other resorts.
5. DTD and Boardwalk are theme parks in themselves.
6. Concerts at House of Blues or Planet Hollywood at DTD, check the schedules of performers and get tickets. Concerts on CityWalk at Universal.
7. Have your IPO help you see other activities offered at other resorts that you can participate in. Things such as hula lessons at Poly, Archery or horseback riding or campfires at WL.
Dine around at various resorts you normally can't get to and most importantly have a blast!!!
Commando Member #216
Lord, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Xclusive2WDW is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: