Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
SURVIVORARA
Earning My Ears

Arrow *Thanksgiving Week '12* 1st time Visitor with medical child- ADIVCE??

Please help!!
This is our first visit to DisneyWorld & Universal Studios.
We are planning 2 days at each site. I have read over some amazing advice on here.
We are taking my parents to Disney the 2nd day we are there. Any Advice?

Where are the best places to watch the parades & fireworks?

Im SO confused about eating in the park.. will we be able to if we dont have a meal plan?

We rented a house off site.
****We also have a 11yr old son who is a cancer patient, what do we need to bring to get a medical band for him? (we have a handicap plaquard for our car)***

Ages of our 4 children: 11,11, 13 & 23. Any advice to make this the most magical tine of their life?
(we are not interested in AK)
Old 11-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
MaleficentRN
DIS Veteran

Does your child use a wheelchair?
Register to remove

Old 11-14-2012, 01:31 AM   #3
Hej2222
Mouseketeer

You can get a lot more info relevant to your situation on Disabilities Forum. Definitely get a GAC when you get to WDW (we usually get ours for my special need daughter at Guest Relations at MK on our first day, and it helps us a lot!). We get to the parks early and often leave early afternoon so we can spend the rest of the day at the resort or in our pool (we usually rent a pool vacation home off site). We never had dining plan - we pay out of pocket for our meals (we usually reserve 2 character breakfasts and 2 dinner ADRs) or just have dinner at home. For Fireworks we prefer Tomorrowland Party as we can watch it while eating deserts instead of stressing out about the crowds. For parades with GAC you can sometimes get into the Disabled Guest Area (we have a stroller as a wheelchair) - those are less crowded.
For a 2 day visit - we would go to MK and Epcot (last year we went for 2 days only Thanksgiving week). Your parents may enjoy these parks also.
I am not sure if you have any ADRs for Thanksgiving week - everything is booked up now. I have some ADRs that I will be cancelling this week for CRT 11/24 (breakfast for 6pp) and Tomorrowland Party for 11/24 (for 6pp); also probably O'hana dinner for Thanksgiving (my family wants to have turkey at home instead). We can coordinate if you were interested.

November 2014-ASMuR/AoA; June 2014-OKW/GF Villas and cruise on Disney Dream; Nov 2013-AoA/off site; July 2013-off site (GKTW) and cruise on Disney Dream; November 2012-off site; Aug 2012-Disney Magic NYC; July 2012-AoA; Nov 2011-BLT; June 2011, April 2010, Jan 2009, March 2008-off site; Oct 1996-Disneyland Honeymoon; Sept 1994-off site (adult only)
Hej2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:53 AM   #4
SURVIVORARA
Earning My Ears

Thanks so much for your advice...
We are not going to be a MK or any park on Thanksgiving day, we have family in Jacksonville we are spending the day with. As far as our son, he just finished a round of cancer treatments and has an inhume system problem also. He is 11 and its hard for him to keep up and have energy. We do not have a wheelchair. We have a Dr's note verifying his health situation.

Will you be there Thanksgiving week? We plan to be at Disney on Tuesday & Wednesday.. we are going to Universal Monday & Fri & Sat.
We rented a nice home offsite with a private pool so we can relax and my parents will be with us so incase our son can not handle the long days or is having a bad day he can stay home with them.

Would love to meet up if you are going any of the days we are!
Check me out on Facebook if you are on there..
Facebook.com/RealtorAra

Thanks hun!
Old 11-14-2012, 02:54 AM   #5
SURVIVORARA
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaleficentRN View Post
Does your child use a wheelchair?
Not at this time but we may rent one if he can not handle the long day.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
erincon23
Everyone must have gotten a life in the last few days
As you can see, I have gotten sidetracked

You asked about best places to watch the parades -- we've had good luck in the spot that's just over the bridge into Liberty Square from Main Street. It's just before the Christmas Shop, and across from a little snack stand. There are benches there that, if you get there early enough, your children could sit on while you save spaces at the curb. It's a little out of the way, and we've found that it doesn't always fill up quite as quickly as other places. We've also watched the fireworks from that little snack stand across the way -- there's a tree that will block some of the view, but it's not too bad. I know there are better places, but in both of these spots, you could actually sit for some of the time while you wait.

me DH DS16 DS20 On our last family trip, 3/09
erincon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #7
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURVIVORARA View Post
Not at this time but we may rent one if he can not handle the long day.
I would get him one. Disney's normal response to those with stamina issues is to use a wheelchair (or ECV but your son is too young to use one). You do not need a Dr's note and, in fact, they won't even look at it. With a wheelchair a GAC may not even be needed.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #8
GreenCntryGirl
The DIS keeps me up past my bedtime.

Here are some maps about viewing spots for the fireworks at Magic Kingdom, Epcot, and Fantasmic! at Hollywood Studios.

http://stitchkingdom.com/maps/

Mimi, Papa, Daddy, Uncle Alec, and Boo
Star Wars Weekend 2013
All Star Music
GreenCntryGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

I have to admit that this isn't enough time and it's a very busy time of year. 2 days for Disney, 2 days for Universal, during Thanksgiving? Or do you mean 2 days per each individual park?

But, be that as it may, I suggest:
  • Arrive early
  • Use a touring plan to make the most of your time.
  • But don't push too hard.
  • Ask for advice specific to the 11 year old on the disABILITIES forum.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:51 AM   #10
MinnieGirl33
Hockey Mom to 2

There are several "prime" parade/fireworks locations but wherever you decide, plan on staking out your spot at least 45 minutes ahead (some may argue even longer) since its Thanksgiving.

You will be able to eat but very possibly (probably?) not at a table service restaurant. I would see what's available at this late date but there are plenty of counter service options though.

I would check the DISabilities forum for info on the Guest Assistance Card & wheelchair rentals as well as what others with compromised immune systems have done/experienced (personally, this would terrify me more than anything else).

Relax. Don't try to see everything because with only 2 days, there is no way you will. Do your homework. Find out what the "must do's" are for each child & focus on them.

Whatever happens, try to laugh & just roll with it.

MinnieGirl33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:00 AM   #11
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

I agree that you will not get a whole lot done in 2 days the week of Thankgsiving. Research the 2 parks you are going to and figure out the must do's for your family. Definately get up and be at the parks before rope drop. It will be very crowded, but you can get much more done early in the day and use fast pass.
I would check out www.easywdw.com for help in planning your park days.
I would also see about getting your son a Guest Assistance Card and rent a wheelchair for your son. WDW is HUGE and wait times will be long. If your son is in a wheelchair then he wont have to worry as much aboug his stamina. There are off site rental companies where you can rent one for the whole week, instead of having to do a daily rental. They may also have youth sized chairs that would be more comfortable for your son.
I wouldnt worry about any Table Service meals. They will take up a lot of your park time, and with only 2 days I wouldnt want to eat up the park time. I would eat counter service and bring a bag to the parks with snacks. You can get free ice water at any counter service/walk up window places (although WDW water is hit and miss....sometimes it is filtered and sometimes it is just gross).
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(6)
Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
blessedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disney, disneyworld, newbie, thanksgiving, universal

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: