Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
cwt580
DIS Veteran

what time is leave on ME for a MCO flight home?

we have a departing flight for 5:35 pm from MCO. what time will we be expected to board the ME bus to airport. we are staying at WL and trying to figure what resturant to hit for a ts lunch on departure day. no park tix left but still have 2 credits for ts to use up per person. will decide what to do with remaining credit after scheduling departure meal.

we'd like to try sanaa but not sure its feasible timewise. no kids all 4 adults.

Last edited by cwt580; 11-13-2012 at 09:23 PM.
cwt580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwt580
we have a departing flight for 5:35 pm from MCO. what time will we be expected to board the ME bus to airport. we are staying at WL and trying to figure what resturant to hit for a ts lunch on departure day. no park tix left but still have 2 credits for ts to use up per person. will decide what to do with remaining credit after scheduling departure meal.

we'd like to try sanaa but not sure its feasible timewise. no kids all 4 adults.
3 hours +/- 15 minutes before your flight time.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
Polydweller
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
3 hours +/- 15 minutes before your flight time.
And you have to be at the podium 15 minutes before your departure time. They will not wait. The time they say they'll leave they leave. You will get a letter at your room the day before with your bus departure time which will be about 3 hrs before your flight time and you must be there 15 minutes before your bus departure time.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydweller View Post
And you have to be at the podium 15 minutes before your departure time. They will not wait. The time they say they'll leave they leave. You will get a letter at your room the day before with your bus departure time which will be about 3 hrs before your flight time and you must be there 15 minutes before your bus departure time.
That's not necessarily true. It seems like every ME bus I've been on, the bus driver always waits a few extra minutes for no-shows. And I've never heard anything about being at the podium 15 minutes before departure time.
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:27 AM   #5
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwt580 View Post

Shoot to be back at your resort an hour before your Magical Express bus time. (added later: No children? I suppose you can make that 45 minutes.) A little more if you need to get carryons back from the bellhop. From Downtown Disney or from another resort, be prepared to take a taxi back since these Disney bus itineraries can be very time consuming. (Disney's current recommendation is to allow 90 minutes for a resort to resort trip.)

While DME buses have been known to wait for stragglers, that is not guaranteed. We can't draw conclusions from those who reported buses leaving early since the driver may have accounted for everyone on the guest list. But the driver may look around before closing the luggage door down below and climibing aboard and, seeing the platform empty and no one coming, depart a minute early.

Last edited by seashoreCM; 11-14-2012 at 07:39 AM.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:35 AM   #6
Missytara
I'm all ears!

That is a good suggestion. A few years ago, we stashed our carry-ons at SSR while we went to the parks.

Our leave time was 4:15, so we erred on the side of caution and got there around 3:30 pm. A ton of people were checking in and using Bell Services; so we had to wait about 15 minutes in order to get our bags.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #7
MinnieMeaghan
Earning My Ears

Yes, definitely get back to your resort early. The bus will leave 3 hours before your flight departs, but definitely give yourself plenty of time to get back. I relied on Disney busses to come back to DAKL from Epcot. I gave myself about an hour and a half to get back (knowing the busses usually depart once every 20 minutes). Except this time, there was no bus for an HOUR! We were extremely lucky that we made it back and the magical express bus hadn't left (we also had out luggage downstairs at bell services). Moral of the story: give yourself plenty of time to get back to the resort!
Old 11-14-2012, 07:50 AM   #8
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
That's not necessarily true. It seems like every ME bus I've been on, the bus driver always waits a few extra minutes for no-shows. And I've never heard anything about being at the podium 15 minutes before departure time.
While that may have been your experience, believe me...bus drives on a schedule will not always wait. Yet, I've been on buses where they did wait for latecomers, and it added quite a bit of time to our overall timing. We got to the airport, once, about 90 mins before our departure time!! If a driver can't see someone approaching the bus, there is no reason to hang around.

OP...with a flight time of 5:35, you can expect your DME p/u time to be around 2:30..give or take 15 mins either way. So, I would plan on being back at the resort no later than 2pm. 1:45 would be better.

I would eat at Whispering Canyon Cafe,or maybe over to the GF for a character meal at 1900 Park Fare, or Chef Mickey's, and then give those remaining credits to someone eating there. Explain the situation to a CM..they should be able to help you spread a little last minute pixie dust. I know that's happened to me in the past.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:36 AM   #9
Polydweller
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The time you are given in the notice is the bus departure time, not pick up time. The bus will usually arrive sometime before that, that's why the 15 minutes. That gives a few minutes to get everybody loaded and seated so they can meet the departure time.

And I was giving planning time for the OP. Don't plan on them waiting past the departure time. As goofy4tink says, they can and do leave right on departure time. Plan to be at the podium 15 minutes in advance and not rushing at the last minute.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #10
Megsie1000
Mouseketeer

If you do decide to do Sanaa (and it is wonderful), I would plan on taking a cab to and from your hotel. That isn't cheap but it will give you a lot more peace of mind than praying the buses will come and go in time to get you there and back.
Megsie1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
My dad almost missed his ME bus when I forgot to tell him to be at the stop a few minutes early. He walked up just as the bus was getting ready to pull away.

I've also been on a ME bus where part of a family was on board, but not all of them. The driver told those on board that he was leaving at the set time, and if the rest of the family wasn't there, they would be left behind.

If someone misses their scheduled ME bus, it is up to them to get to the airport.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:11 AM   #12
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydweller View Post
The time you are given in the notice is the bus departure time, not pick up time. The bus will usually arrive sometime before that, that's why the 15 minutes. That gives a few minutes to get everybody loaded and seated so they can meet the departure time.

And I was giving planning time for the OP. Don't plan on them waiting past the departure time. As goofy4tink says, they can and do leave right on departure time. Plan to be at the podium 15 minutes in advance and not rushing at the last minute.
I understand what you're saying but they don't always leave on time. They will often wait a few extra minutes for their no-shows. They don't have to wait, but they do.
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:05 AM   #13
ironz
could always use some pixie dust

Quote:
I understand what you're saying but they don't always leave on time. They will often wait a few extra minutes for their no-shows. They don't have to wait, but they do.
With all due respect, and I'm glad that was your experience....but if you come on here and indicate to someone that it is ok to be a few minutes late and THEIR bus doesn't wait (esp as you have no evidence that ALL busses wait for latecomers) and they miss their ride to the airport and miss their flight home, you are doing the OP a huge disservice.

OP...arrive before the time indicated on your paperwork.
Not ALL busses wait, and I would go out on a limb and suggest that most leave on time. (I've missed one before...because it left early....it was a huge stressful mess.)

"The miles aren't going to run themselves."

ironz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:13 AM   #14
cwt580
DIS Veteran

We are planning a lunch at any one of the following just cant decide. Wcc or wave or kona or gfc. Wanted to do chef mickeys but no times for lunch available. Our flight is at 5:30 so we plan on being back to Wl by 2pm we figure to be safe.

cwt580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:28 AM   #15
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironz View Post
With all due respect, and I'm glad that was your experience....but if you come on here and indicate to someone that it is ok to be a few minutes late and THEIR bus doesn't wait (esp as you have no evidence that ALL busses wait for latecomers) and they miss their ride to the airport and miss their flight home, you are doing the OP a huge disservice.

OP...arrive before the time indicated on your paperwork.
Not ALL busses wait, and I would go out on a limb and suggest that most leave on time. (I've missed one before...because it left early....it was a huge stressful mess.)
Ditto here.

Some may have had an experience or two with the bus drivers waiting a few minutes, but the OP (and many other posters) might not be so lucky. Best not to sugar coat it and give out the most accurate information.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: