Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
cwt580
DIS Veteran
 
cwt580's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Buchanan, Mi
Posts: 877

what time is leave on ME for a MCO flight home?

we have a departing flight for 5:35 pm from MCO. what time will we be expected to board the ME bus to airport. we are staying at WL and trying to figure what resturant to hit for a ts lunch on departure day. no park tix left but still have 2 credits for ts to use up per person. will decide what to do with remaining credit after scheduling departure meal.

we'd like to try sanaa but not sure its feasible timewise. no kids all 4 adults.
__________________


Last edited by cwt580; 11-13-2012 at 09:23 PM.
cwt580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
vicki_c
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 23,267

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwt580
we have a departing flight for 5:35 pm from MCO. what time will we be expected to board the ME bus to airport. we are staying at WL and trying to figure what resturant to hit for a ts lunch on departure day. no park tix left but still have 2 credits for ts to use up per person. will decide what to do with remaining credit after scheduling departure meal.

we'd like to try sanaa but not sure its feasible timewise. no kids all 4 adults.
3 hours +/- 15 minutes before your flight time.
__________________
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
Polydweller
DIS Veteran
 
Polydweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,532

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
3 hours +/- 15 minutes before your flight time.
And you have to be at the podium 15 minutes before your departure time. They will not wait. The time they say they'll leave they leave. You will get a letter at your room the day before with your bus departure time which will be about 3 hrs before your flight time and you must be there 15 minutes before your bus departure time.
__________________
21 years staying at the Polynesian!
Next Trip: Oct 2014 Polynesian
Polydweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
davedmaine
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,744

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydweller View Post
And you have to be at the podium 15 minutes before your departure time. They will not wait. The time they say they'll leave they leave. You will get a letter at your room the day before with your bus departure time which will be about 3 hrs before your flight time and you must be there 15 minutes before your bus departure time.
That's not necessarily true. It seems like every ME bus I've been on, the bus driver always waits a few extra minutes for no-shows. And I've never heard anything about being at the podium 15 minutes before departure time.
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:27 AM   #5
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.
 
seashoreCM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 21,323

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwt580 View Post
we have a departing flight for 5:35 pm from MCO. what time will we be expected to board the ME bus to airport. we are staying at WL and trying to figure what resturant to hit for a ts lunch on departure day. no park tix left but still have 2 credits for ts to use up per person. will decide what to do with remaining credit after scheduling departure meal.

we'd like to try sanaa but not sure its feasible timewise. no kids all 4 adults.
Shoot to be back at your resort an hour before your Magical Express bus time. (added later: No children? I suppose you can make that 45 minutes.) A little more if you need to get carryons back from the bellhop. From Downtown Disney or from another resort, be prepared to take a taxi back since these Disney bus itineraries can be very time consuming. (Disney's current recommendation is to allow 90 minutes for a resort to resort trip.)

While DME buses have been known to wait for stragglers, that is not guaranteed. We can't draw conclusions from those who reported buses leaving early since the driver may have accounted for everyone on the guest list. But the driver may look around before closing the luggage door down below and climibing aboard and, seeing the platform empty and no one coming, depart a minute early.
__________________
Last Disney trip: December 2010.
Blackberries are red when they are green. (the late Paul Harvey, among others)

Last edited by seashoreCM; 11-14-2012 at 07:39 AM.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:35 AM   #6
Missytara
I'm all ears!
 
Missytara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 14,087

That is a good suggestion. A few years ago, we stashed our carry-ons at SSR while we went to the parks.

Our leave time was 4:15, so we erred on the side of caution and got there around 3:30 pm. A ton of people were checking in and using Bell Services; so we had to wait about 15 minutes in order to get our bags.
__________________




Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #7
MinnieMeaghan
Earning My Ears
 
MinnieMeaghan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 66

Yes, definitely get back to your resort early. The bus will leave 3 hours before your flight departs, but definitely give yourself plenty of time to get back. I relied on Disney busses to come back to DAKL from Epcot. I gave myself about an hour and a half to get back (knowing the busses usually depart once every 20 minutes). Except this time, there was no bus for an HOUR! We were extremely lucky that we made it back and the magical express bus hadn't left (we also had out luggage downstairs at bell services). Moral of the story: give yourself plenty of time to get back to the resort!
__________________
My Disney Family
DM(47)(posts under Allison-Wonderland) DF(48) ME(21) DS(19) DS(16) DS(12)
MinnieMeaghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:50 AM   #8
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania
 
goofy4tink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Central Ma
Posts: 47,639
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
That's not necessarily true. It seems like every ME bus I've been on, the bus driver always waits a few extra minutes for no-shows. And I've never heard anything about being at the podium 15 minutes before departure time.
While that may have been your experience, believe me...bus drives on a schedule will not always wait. Yet, I've been on buses where they did wait for latecomers, and it added quite a bit of time to our overall timing. We got to the airport, once, about 90 mins before our departure time!! If a driver can't see someone approaching the bus, there is no reason to hang around.

OP...with a flight time of 5:35, you can expect your DME p/u time to be around 2:30..give or take 15 mins either way. So, I would plan on being back at the resort no later than 2pm. 1:45 would be better.

I would eat at Whispering Canyon Cafe,or maybe over to the GF for a character meal at 1900 Park Fare, or Chef Mickey's, and then give those remaining credits to someone eating there. Explain the situation to a CM..they should be able to help you spread a little last minute pixie dust. I know that's happened to me in the past.
__________________



goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:36 AM   #9
Polydweller
DIS Veteran
 
Polydweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,532

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
That's not necessarily true. It seems like every ME bus I've been on, the bus driver always waits a few extra minutes for no-shows. And I've never heard anything about being at the podium 15 minutes before departure time.
The time you are given in the notice is the bus departure time, not pick up time. The bus will usually arrive sometime before that, that's why the 15 minutes. That gives a few minutes to get everybody loaded and seated so they can meet the departure time.

And I was giving planning time for the OP. Don't plan on them waiting past the departure time. As goofy4tink says, they can and do leave right on departure time. Plan to be at the podium 15 minutes in advance and not rushing at the last minute.
__________________
21 years staying at the Polynesian!
Next Trip: Oct 2014 Polynesian
Polydweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #10
Megsie1000
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 429

If you do decide to do Sanaa (and it is wonderful), I would plan on taking a cab to and from your hotel. That isn't cheap but it will give you a lot more peace of mind than praying the buses will come and go in time to get you there and back.
Megsie1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 21,692

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
That's not necessarily true. It seems like every ME bus I've been on, the bus driver always waits a few extra minutes for no-shows. And I've never heard anything about being at the podium 15 minutes before departure time.
My dad almost missed his ME bus when I forgot to tell him to be at the stop a few minutes early. He walked up just as the bus was getting ready to pull away.

I've also been on a ME bus where part of a family was on board, but not all of them. The driver told those on board that he was leaving at the set time, and if the rest of the family wasn't there, they would be left behind.

If someone misses their scheduled ME bus, it is up to them to get to the airport.
__________________
maxiesmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:11 AM   #12
davedmaine
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,744

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydweller View Post
The time you are given in the notice is the bus departure time, not pick up time. The bus will usually arrive sometime before that, that's why the 15 minutes. That gives a few minutes to get everybody loaded and seated so they can meet the departure time.

And I was giving planning time for the OP. Don't plan on them waiting past the departure time. As goofy4tink says, they can and do leave right on departure time. Plan to be at the podium 15 minutes in advance and not rushing at the last minute.
I understand what you're saying but they don't always leave on time. They will often wait a few extra minutes for their no-shows. They don't have to wait, but they do.
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:05 AM   #13
ironz
could always use some pixie dust
 
ironz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: TX
Posts: 2,086

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
I understand what you're saying but they don't always leave on time. They will often wait a few extra minutes for their no-shows. They don't have to wait, but they do.
With all due respect, and I'm glad that was your experience....but if you come on here and indicate to someone that it is ok to be a few minutes late and THEIR bus doesn't wait (esp as you have no evidence that ALL busses wait for latecomers) and they miss their ride to the airport and miss their flight home, you are doing the OP a huge disservice.

OP...arrive before the time indicated on your paperwork.
Not ALL busses wait, and I would go out on a limb and suggest that most leave on time. (I've missed one before...because it left early....it was a huge stressful mess.)
__________________
Betsy

"The miles aren't going to run themselves."

ironz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:13 AM   #14
cwt580
DIS Veteran
 
cwt580's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Buchanan, Mi
Posts: 877

We are planning a lunch at any one of the following just cant decide. Wcc or wave or kona or gfc. Wanted to do chef mickeys but no times for lunch available. Our flight is at 5:30 so we plan on being back to Wl by 2pm we figure to be safe.
__________________

cwt580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:28 AM   #15
Missytara
I'm all ears!
 
Missytara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 14,087

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironz View Post
With all due respect, and I'm glad that was your experience....but if you come on here and indicate to someone that it is ok to be a few minutes late and THEIR bus doesn't wait (esp as you have no evidence that ALL busses wait for latecomers) and they miss their ride to the airport and miss their flight home, you are doing the OP a huge disservice.

OP...arrive before the time indicated on your paperwork.
Not ALL busses wait, and I would go out on a limb and suggest that most leave on time. (I've missed one before...because it left early....it was a huge stressful mess.)
Ditto here.

Some may have had an experience or two with the bus drivers waiting a few minutes, but the OP (and many other posters) might not be so lucky. Best not to sugar coat it and give out the most accurate information.
__________________




Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.