Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #16
amzking
DIS Veteran

Pop - no amenities, thin walls, uncovered bus waiting area, hordes of people everywhere. Nope. I just don't get how so many people love this resort, sorry everyone.

CBR - LONG walks if you didn't pay extra for a preferred room.

Stick with POR.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #17
Singinglizzie
DIS Veteran

Well, you didn't have this as a choice, but if it were me, I would try to book one of the Little Mermaid rooms in the new AOA resort. Or I would go with CSR in a preferred room otherwise you could wind in Rancho and it's a long, long walk to the food court.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #18
Elwood P. Dowd
Disboards Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink415 View Post
Worth it is something only you can define. $200 can but lots of other things. Why not try Pop? If you hate it, its only 3 nights, and you could switch resorts if it was truly unacceptable. But of course it could cost time and money depending on what's available at the time.
Tink-- you read my mind! This is what I was coming down to after a lot of reading. I also realized I would barely be there since the parks are open pretty late the nights I'm there. Just hard to justify spending an extra $200 for a room I won't be using much. Plus, I don't think I'll use the pools or food court, so that's not an issue. And like you said, I can always switch if necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelei528 View Post
We found POR rundown and dirty..just yucky. I didn't like it at all.
Wow, when did you go? I've NEVER had that issue, but I know before they renovated I heard a few comments like this. Sorry you had such a bad experience.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #19
portocall
I'm gonna try the water and swat next time

POR was just renovated so run down wouldn't apply right now. As far as POP, my issue would be the fact that it is so busy to the eyes. I loved my value stays, however I could never relax due to how busy it all was to me visually. Granted, I can't take more than a short trip to Walmart before that happens since I get overstimulated easily but relaxation would be hard to come by.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:49 PM   #20
Elwood P. Dowd
Disboards Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by portocall View Post
POR was just renovated so run down wouldn't apply right now. As far as POP, my issue would be the fact that it is so busy to the eyes. I loved my value stays, however I could never relax due to how busy it all was to me visually. Granted, I can't take more than a short trip to Walmart before that happens since I get overstimulated easily but relaxation would be hard to come by.
You sound a lot like me...but like I said, I hope to be in the parks most of the time. If I was going to spend any time at the resort, I'd pick POR. I'm not going to lie, though-- I'm still nervous.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:02 AM   #21
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood P. Dowd
(I originally posted this in the Adult and Solo Travelers forum, but I think I probably should've posted it here...)

So I'm going to do a solo trip in a couple weeks, and I'm having a VERY hard time choosing a resort (and I'm an indecisive person anyway). So I thought maybe you guys could help. I've narrowed in down to 3: CBR, POR, and Pop. I've stayed at POR quite a few times, and it's one of my favorites (and that includes Deluxe resorts). The other two are unexplored territory...

So, instead of the usual "help me decide which resort," and having posts listing reasons to choose a specific resort, I was hoping people would list things you DON'T like about one of the three listed (not necessarily using price as a reason). Please keep in mind it's just me going, so things like activities for kids don't apply. Thanks in advance-- I can't wait to make a final decision!
Cool! We stayed at pop and won't be back until they get new matresses! They were rock hard! And I am absolutely the un-pickiest sleeper/bed person ever. I could sleep on the floor basically hahahaha. As for CBR, never stayed there because we have no interest. Don't like the theming, food court options are eh to us (but that's not a huge factor for us bc we have a car for adr's/food runs), just not into it.

LOVE POR! That and CSR are our two mods we love. As PP have said, LOVE LOVE LOVE CSR. It's gorgeous theming, plush queen and king beds, huge rooms with a great separate changing/bathroom area...Awesome pool, 24 hour fitness center, Spa...We love the location, some might not.

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:28 AM   #22
sheilanne
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelei528
We found POR rundown and dirty..just yucky. I didn't like it at all.
POP - WAY too garish. I've stayed at ASMovies and Music and much preferred them to POP.

Ironically, LOVED CBR! LOL...would totally stay there again!
So funny, we hated CBR! We were in Trinidad South and our room was filthy. It smelled like mold mixed with urine! UGH. We complained and they recleaned it, but the moldy smell never went away. We rented a car but saw tons of people disgusted waiting for busses. It was just a horrible experience. In two weeks we are going back and staying at BLT, I'm so excited!!!!!
sheilanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:34 AM   #23
teheber
CYCLING IS HOW I ROLL

heard csr is nice, planning on bcr and wl villa for mardi gras
teheber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:43 AM   #24
teheber
CYCLING IS HOW I ROLL

trying to decide on BLT or WL Villa at least BLT soo close to MK
teheber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:01 AM   #25
ellie05
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilanne View Post
So funny, we hated CBR! We were in Trinidad South and our room was filthy. It smelled like mold mixed with urine! UGH. We complained and they recleaned it, but the moldy smell never went away. We rented a car but saw tons of people disgusted waiting for busses. It was just a horrible experience. In two weeks we are going back and staying at BLT, I'm so excited!!!!!
We stayed recently at CBR and our room wasn't bad but I was not impress. The resort was ok but we wouldn't got back. We liked POR and will considering for a future vacation.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:00 AM   #26
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

I've stayed at all three and wasn't particularly impressed with any of them. I love, love, love POFQ and CSR though. Since POFQ is so much more expensive, I'd probably go with CSR. However, since those two are not in your list, I'd go with Pop, with PORS as second choice.

CBR: stayed there twice and had poor housekeeping and horrible bus service both times. The resort is just too big. If you do stay there, pay for a preferred room or request Aruba 51 or Jamaica 45. Also don't forget CBR does not have elevators. We were also not fans of their food court and I got very ill the one time I ate at Shutters. Pros: it is a pretty resort and centrally located.

PORS: not a fan of their bus service and some of the AB rooms can be a bit distant from the food court. I'd pay for a preferred room if I wanted in the AB section or a Princess room if I wanted in the Mansions, which would raise the price unfortunately. Pros: it's a beautiful resort though and we love their food court and the boat to DTD. No way would I take a chance on a standard room though.

POP: I'm not a fan of the values, full size beds compared to the queens in the moderates, no hot tubs or pool slides, bus stop is usuallly the last coming out of the parks, too loud and over the top theming for me, no ceiling fans or cofee pots, usually see more kids in the values. Pros: other than POFQ, Pop is smaller than the other moderates and has some good choices in the food court

Last edited by aubriee; 11-16-2012 at 03:31 AM.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:39 AM   #27
bytheblood
DIS Veteran

I do not care for any of the values. The over-the-top decor really turns me off from them.

Coronado Springs - too spread out & the Pepper Market is horrible (regardless of the number of choices)
bytheblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #28
reiella
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood P. Dowd View Post
Thank you so much for all the responses! I've definitely ruled out CBR-- it just doesn't appeal much to me, at least going solo.

I have stayed at CSR twice, and liked it quite a bit! The rooms, to me, are great, as are the grounds. Not a fan of the food court at all, but I don't eat at the resorts much anyway. I ruled it out because I prefer both Port Orleans resorts (and FQ is WAY more expensive for the dates I want to go, so that was ruled out).

What makes me nervous about Pop is that it's so large, and seems noisy. Not saying I need peace and quiet, but sometimes I look at pictures and can see being overwhelmed by everything. I've stayed at one value-- All Star Music, in the Broadway section. I actually REALLY liked it, but it was also really laid back there. The problem is there's no guarantee they would honor my request of that section, top floor.

But for 3 nights, the POR is almost $200 more than Pop/All Stars. Is it worth it?!?

(See? I told you I was indecisive!)
Only two things come up for me with regards to POR [the only resort we've stayed at ourselves]. The cost difference is significant, and you've already stayed there a few times already.

To be fair wrt noise level, it just depends on your neighbors more than anything.
reiella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #29
disneydee6
DIS Veteran

Well, I will attempt to talk you out of Pop. I went there with my friend (2 adults) and did not care for it. I blame it on the fact that I had stayed at BC all before that stay, but I prefer the theming of the mod/deluxe resorts to the over-the-top style of the value resorts. It was a walk over ten min to get to the bus stop. I had tried to talk my friend into stay at POR and I couldn't sell her on it because she wanted to save. To me, I much prefer a queen bed, options of different food places at the resort, and personally, a place with a hot tub.
disneydee6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #30
pickles
Just call me Capt. Barbossa-someone has to play the part of the bad pirate
Most Observant DISer Award

rent a villa with points and stay at boardwalk studio. you will enjoy the night activities on the boardwalk. nice walking and watching boats etc. you can rent points very affordably usually.
pickles is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: