Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2011, 08:42 PM   #16
Sandi
A proud Spartans fan!

We've done this a few times to take advantage of cost savings. Each time we did not have to move. The reservations were always "linked" and we made sure to mention this when we checked in. We were prepared to move if needed though. It was worth it for the savings the two ressies allowed.

Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:36 PM   #17
redrosesix
DIS Veteran

We've done it 3 times - we had to move once.

tbh, we wouldn't have had to move at all that time if we hadn't insisted on getting our room requests. But since we were staying 11 days, we prefered to move after the first night to be where we wanted to be. Plus the area where we spent most of our stay had been reserved as a block of rooms for some group that was there for an event that weekend - so it literally wasn't available when we arrived at the resort.

Feb. 2008 All Star Music Feb. 2009 All Star Music Feb. 2010 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2011 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2012 Pop Pop Pop and All Star Music Feb. 2013 AoA, ASMusic and off-site with our team Feb. 2014 ASMusic and Cypress Pointe Resort Feb. 2015 Cypress Pointe Resort, US Cabana Bay and All Stars for Twirlmania
redrosesix is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2011, 10:49 PM   #18
kungaloosh22
Mouseketeer

It's good to hear some success stories. Our room reservations are linked as you guys described, so I guess we'll just hope for the best. It sounds like our schedule will need some contingency planning, in case we have to allow for extra packing time and time without a room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrosesix View Post
tbh, we wouldn't have had to move at all that time if we hadn't insisted on getting our room requests. But since we were staying 11 days, we prefered to move after the first night to be where we wanted to be. Plus the area where we spent most of our stay had been reserved as a block of rooms for some group that was there for an event that weekend - so it literally wasn't available when we arrived at the resort.
That makes sense, and to me that would have been a quite acceptable move. I'm also willing to move after a night or 2--on a day that works for us--to get our desired room. But I'd look at that as a move at our request, not Disney kicking us out of our room in favor of a new arrival. (THAT I would not be so understanding about.)
kungaloosh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:57 PM   #19
dmoore718
If you think being a firefighter is tough, try being a firefighter's wife

We are doing this tomorrow!!! I don't mind moving after the first night if I have to to get my ground floor room request. Can't you just have bell services pick up your luggage after you leave for the parks, and then bring to your new room once you return?
Old 11-14-2012, 10:20 PM   #20
YachtandBeachy
Earning My Ears

Question

Bump. Any recent experiences/reports?
YachtandBeachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:21 AM   #21
shinysparklybubbles
DIS Veteran

Last year we had a split stay at AK. One night was point rental next night was cash reservation. We did not have to move.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:57 AM   #22
ellie05
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by YachtandBeachy View Post
Bump. Any recent experiences/reports?
Recent experiences won't help to predict your chances it all comes down to availability of the room. If you make your reservation at the same time or a few months in advance there is a bigger chance and make sure you link those reservations. Otherwise if the inventory manager goes through and puts someone after you in the room then you will have to move otherwise it will mess up their inventory. Busier season you get less chance.

ellie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:46 AM   #23
Fuhnuh
Mouseketeer

We have had back to back reservations for the same category of room at the same resort three times. Twice we have been moved and once they called in the morning to say that we could stay in our room. None of the times did I get the feeling that they were at capacity even for our room category. Two of the three reservations were linked (50/50). They were so friendly about our requests to stay that I believe that they really couldn't do much about it. Obviously others have had much better luck, so take our results with a grain of salt.
Fuhnuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:13 AM   #24
kmb584
DIS Veteran

We did this in 2009 at POFQ and thankfully did not have to change rooms. The trip started out with just 4 nights for DD and myself, next thing I know BFF was joining us and added 3 nights. We did have to check-out then back in but that was all.

Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:16 AM   #25
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran

We do this all of the time. It is not uncommon in the DVC realm as you use points from different contracts for the same stay... Just tell them at check in that you have a second reservation and would like to stay in the room. As said you do have to check in twice and they will issue you new keys... Just as a warning...if you use your room key to lock the room safe make sure to unlock it before you check in for the second leg of your stay. I didn't and when i checked in the second time the desk CM took the old keys and gave us new ones... Meaning i could not get into the safe...
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #26
chemnerd09
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_doctor View Post
We do this all of the time. It is not uncommon in the DVC realm as you use points from different contracts for the same stay... Just tell them at check in that you have a second reservation and would like to stay in the room. As said you do have to check in twice and they will issue you new keys... Just as a warning...if you use your room key to lock the room safe make sure to unlock it before you check in for the second leg of your stay. I didn't and when i checked in the second time the desk CM took the old keys and gave us new ones... Meaning i could not get into the safe...
We have also had this happen when using DVC. So far, we have stayed in the same room. I know that we always mention when we check-in that we have back to back reservations and ask if we can stay in the same room. The only thing we have had to do is check-out and check back in at the front desk and get new cards that have the proper dates for the reservation on them.

chemnerd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #27
MDChris
Ready for Vacation!

Thank you all for the information. We just added a night on to the beginning of our trip and requested that the reservations be linked. My question is, we have always done online check-in. Should I avoid doing that this time?
Old 11-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #28
purple figment
DIS Veteran

We had back to back reservations at the BWV (cash stay) last month. Same room category. We asked that the reservations be linked, then confirmed the info when we first checked in. A couple days before our second reservation we confirmed once again. CM at the front desk said we would be staying in the same room and that we wouldn't have to come to the desk to check out/check in and that our new KTTW cards would be slipped under our door. Everything went just as she told us so for us it was perfect.

Hope yours goes as smoothly.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #29
nkereina
Wendy Darling

It solely depends on the occupancy rate when you are there, so there's no way to predict it. You have to decide if the potential cost savings of doing two reservations is worth a few hours of hassle and inconvenience in the worst case, or if it isn't.

If the hotel is full, chances that you'll have to move increase. If the person who assigns the room doesn't pay attention to your linked reservation or another room scenario arises due to overbooking, etc. - you may have to move because they may have you assigned to a different room. If it's a slower time of year, they can probably accommodate you so you can stay in the room. Whatever you do, make sure you call and link the reservations by calling the reservation line. Don't wait until you get there to link them.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:05 AM   #30
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie05 View Post
Recent experiences won't help to predict your chances it all comes down to availability of the room. If you make your reservation at the same time or a few months in advance there is a bigger chance and make sure you link those reservations. Otherwise if the inventory manager goes through and puts someone after you in the room then you will have to move otherwise it will mess up their inventory. Busier season you get less chance.
The time I had to change rooms at CSR, I had booked the day the AP discounts came out. Because I had already purchased airfare, I couldn't change my dates. The first day of the trip didn't fall under the AP discount dates, so I had to make two back to back ressies. When I made the ressie, I had the CM link them, but even though I had made the ressie months in advance, had them linked at that time, and had the CM note at check in that the ressies were still linked, I still had to change rooms that second day.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: