Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
Fuzzball15
Earning My Ears

Dilema between Wilderness vs Beach Club

Stayed at the beach club last year (was going to stay at the wilderness but then changed because of the pool travel agent talked me into it ALOT MORE MONEY) the only REALLY part i loved about it was the pool. Rooms were ok, hotel was ok. I booked the beach club again because i got the deluxe dining plan and with EPCOT being right there i thougt it would be great. but i would love to try the wilderness But i might be spoiled from the beach club i don't know and a little afraid. But i am looking at the Wilderness and seeing how beautiful it is. Is the pool that much of a big deal compared to Wilderness if anyone knows. I would greatly appreciate any input or opinions that anyone has i know what i had at the Beach club with so many different places to eat and the pool being what it is, but as far as the resort itself it was a resort. Guess i'm a little scared to try something different with paying over $6000 I need help
Fuzzball15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzball15 View Post
Stayed at the beach club last year (was going to stay at the wilderness but then changed because of the pool travel agent talked me into it ALOT MORE MONEY) the only REALLY part i loved about it was the pool. Rooms were ok, hotel was ok. I booked the beach club again because i got the deluxe dining plan and with EPCOT being right there i thougt it would be great. but i would love to try the wilderness But i might be spoiled from the beach club i don't know and a little afraid. But i am looking at the Wilderness and seeing how beautiful it is. Is the pool that much of a big deal compared to Wilderness if anyone knows. I would greatly appreciate any input or opinions that anyone has i know what i had at the Beach club with so many different places to eat and the pool being what it is, but as far as the resort itself it was a resort. Guess i'm a little scared to try something different with paying over $6000 I need help
I can only say that we stayed at the WL for 11 days this summer and it was absolutely amazing!!! So, we are in the opposite position, in that we are hoping that our next stay (at Beach Club) is just as wonderful. We stayed CL at WL and absolutely loved everything about that place. Our kids absolutely loved the pool, but it is alot smaller than SAB at BC. We have always wanted to stay at BC, but when we visited this summer, the lobby just seemed sooooo busy and LOUD...whereas, at WL, we walked into the lobby and just felt at peace at the end of the day...

I can't say anything bad about our stay at WL, I hope that if you end up choosing it, you love it too!!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at both and while we loved our stay at the BC and liked SAB, our favorite pool on property is the volcano pool at the Poly, with the WL pool running a close second. The BC is beautiful and SAB is a nice pool complex, but we didn't find it to be overly amazing for us to choose the BC over other resorts for that reason. The WL is a beautiful resort with a great pool, as well as being conveniently located to alot of dining options. It's great being able to take the boat to the CR for dining, shopping, or just visiting, making it easy to get to the Poly and GF as well. If the WL appeals to you, I would give it a try as it is an amazing resort and you will never know if it's for you unless you try it for yourself. Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
Kimberle
WL Vet

I have stay at both resorts. They are both beautiful. I do like the pool at WL, however, it is a lot smaller that stormalong bay. If your main focus is a pool, then, yes, you will probably be disapointed with WL. If you are looking for a wonderful experience, then you'll find WL a beautiful resort. Besides the main pool, there is another pool between the lodge & villa's. It has a hot tub. WL has a beautiful beach with loungers perfect for relaxing and reading a good book.
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level

Kimberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #5
elaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberle View Post
I have stay at both resorts. They are both beautiful. I do like the pool at WL, however, it is a lot smaller that stormalong bay. If your main focus is a pool, then, yes, you will probably be disapointed with WL. If you are looking for a wonderful experience, then you'll find WL a beautiful resort. Besides the main pool, there is another pool between the lodge & villa's. It has a hot tub. WL has a beautiful beach with loungers perfect for relaxing and reading a good book.
I agree and would just like to add ... have you considered a split stay between the two?
We like to split stay so that our transportation issues are minimized for the parks. (e.g. ... we spend most of out time at DHS and EPCOT while at the BC part of our split and most of our time at the MK while at the WL part of our split)
Old 11-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #6
padawans
DIS Veteran

I think you will be disappointed in the Wl pool. My kids refer to it as "lame". The Wl has many good qualities, but the pool is not one of them. The rooms are also smaller, and very dark, if that matters. Have you considered Yc or BW. The same location, but a little quieter. Nicer rooms and better views IMO.
padawans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #7
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at both BC (many times) and WL (twice) and really like both. But BC is a clear favorite for us. In part, it's because we enjoy SAB so much, but even without the pool, we'd still choose BC. While the WL lobby is clearly amazing, and the rooms have been renovated recently, BC offers a better location and better transportation options for our family. We like to walk, so walking to two parks from BC is a huge bonus for us. And it's far more convenient for us to take an afternoon break when staying at BC.

On the other hand, if cost is a factor but you would still like to stay deluxe, WL is a great option. It's great if you will stay in the parks all day and don't need easy access to your resort for an afternoon break. WL worked well for us when we spent all day and evening in the parks without a break. And we think WL very quiet compared to other deluxe resorts - so there are some benefits to the more remote location. And even though we prefer BC overall, I will say that the boat from WL to MK is wonderful - a great way to start and end your MK day. Just depends on which factors are most important to you.

Good luck with your decision! Have a great time!
Disneyland (x many since 1975), Poly (x many since 1983), BC (x many since 1992), BWI (x3), YC, CR, WL (x2), AKL, POFQ, Dolphin, CSR (x3), CBR, POR-Riverside, All Star Sports, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, runDisney: 2013 Inaugural Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and Cinderella Family 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL/GF/BWI!)

Last edited by pixarmom; 11-14-2012 at 05:36 PM.
pixarmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
amzking
DIS Veteran

YC and WL are our favorite resorts, so I understand your dilemma. I prefer YC over BC because I will always get a full balcony. That being said, here are the differences:
1. Theming theming theming. WL is amazingly themed, better than BC IMO. Plus due to the design of the resort you are in or walking through the lobby a lot, which is amazing. I could just hang out in WL's lobby or in one of the nooks overlooking the lobby. Not so with BC. However, if you are from the Pacific Northwest you may not be thrilled with the theming since it will look just like home. Not so with this Florida girl - I am sick to death of palm trees!
2. WL is a much more compact resort which means less walking.
3. WL has a real (though some would maintain too small) quick serve while BC just has the Marketplace with a very limited menu.
4. WL offers easy access to the Contemporary, Fort Wilderness, and the monorail loop. It also has the best straight-out-of-MK boat transportation of any of the lake resorts. You just go straight ahead out of the exit and climb onboard, so nice and close.
5. BC of course has that awesome walk into Epcot, but the price is paid with busses that could share with as many as 4 other resorts (YC, BW, Swam, Dolphin. I personally find the walk to HS to be rather long from there, but the boat is pretty easy.
6. You have a good probability of not having a full, or any, balcony at BC.
7. You may end up with a walled balcony with a hole in it at WL. I don't like them. But the possibility you get that versus the possibility you get a standing-only balcony at BC is smaller. You could also smile and ask nicely at check in at both places to ensure your balcony needs are properly met.
8. Stormalong Bay. I love love love that pool. If you want to build a sandcastle, feel the sand on your toes, float in a lazy river, swirl around in a whirlpool, enjoy the splash of a waterfall, or go down the longest slide on property, Stormalong Bay is the place. We have contemplated ignoring our Le Cellier reservations just because we didn't want to get out of the lazy river. It's that great.
9. On the other hand, WL's pool, though much smaller, is beautifully themed, with a stream running down rocks into the pool, two nice hot tubs, and a geiser that goes off every hour. It's much quieter and less crowded.

My family has decided that if lots of pool time is our goal, then we will go to YC, and we have done several one-night-only-no-parks stays there, just to enjoy the pool for a day and a half. But if we are coming during non-swimmiing months, WL is my happy place. I love love love that resort.

I hope this helps!
Old 11-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #9
nkereina
Wendy Darling

What time of year are you going? If it's busy season, then Stormalong Bay (BC pool) gets packed. If it's a time of year when pool weather is questionable due to cold spells or lots of rain, I certainly would not choose BC solely because of the pool.

With DxDP, you have some good selections at WL and you also have the ability to boat to Contemporary with all of their options, and then it's very easy to take the resort monorail over to Poly and GF for their restaurant options as well. If you have park hopper, you also have MK options and can easily boat to CR, take the monorail to TTC, and then monorail to Epcot for those options. Personally, I think you have more dining options at WL and it also saves money.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #10
NHKristy76
Senior Mousketeer

I've stayed at the WL multiple times and at the BC once. Although we really liked SAB and the walk to Epcot, I don't have any plans to return to BC. There is no way that I would pay more for BC... it's just not worth it.

And I love love love the pool and hot tubs at the WL and can't imagine anyone calling them lame.
NHKristy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #11
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Ive stayed at both, WL several times. And both are wonderful resorts. If it is winter I'd pick WL. Warmer weather, BC! You can't beat SAB. I like to take afternoon breaks, and have a swim so SAB fits the bill. Not that the WL pool and hot tubs arent pleasant, they are. And last winter we sat around the WL pool many afternoons, the weather was great last January

For dining you know the Epcot options, You have all of Epcot, DHS and The resorts & Boardwalk in easy reach.

For WL you have MK, and all the MK resorts for dining options.

Rooms and Lobby at BC are light and airy, at WL they use dark woods, not a problem for me! But some think Wl is dark WL rooms are smaller.

So I'd go with your budget, both are wonderful resorts.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 20-Sept 3 2014 GF & GF CL
Sue M is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: