Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 05:38 AM   #1
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Alaska 2013 - Question about the Lumberjack Show

Hey everyone

Just taking our first look at potential excursions for our Alaska cruise and we want to check out the Lumberjack show

We will be in Vancouver for a few days before the cruise and will be visiting Grouse Mountain and see that the lumberjack show there is included in the price of a day pass

The other option is to go to the show in Ketchikan

Does anyone have experience of them both?

If the Ketchikan version is better we'll just skip it at Grouse Mountain but if there's not much in it we may as well catch the show in Vancouver and do something else in Ketchikan

TIA
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:13 AM   #2
lgajohnson
Mouseketeer

We spent five days in Vancouver before our Alaska cruise last summer...what a great city. Grouse Mountain is great...we saw the lumberjack show there. Now I don't have anything to compare it to, but it was entertaining! We all enjoyed it and it was part of your admission to the mountain. I would watch it at Grouse (if i remember correctly they happen a few times during the day) and spend your time in Ketchikan doing something else. We took a float plane and went to see bears...truly amazing!!!!
lgajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-14-2012, 09:20 AM   #3
DisSarahK
Missing Mickey...

Have you looked at/researched visiting Lynn Canyon in Vancouver instead of Grouse Mountain? It is less expensive and less touristy--and completely gorgeous! There is a suspension bridge there (although not quite the same sort as Grouse Mountain) and tons of beautiful trails. I took my family there this past summer and it was beautiful.

We did the lumberjack show in Ketchikan and it was loads of fun. We booked the Disney exclusive show and bought it directly through the shows website rather than through the ship--it saved us a few dollars. There was no difference in seating or anything like that. It was a terrific show and was a highlight of the day for my children.

DisSarahK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
Carolynleanne
Canadian Disney mom

Pretty much the same thing! I'd do the one at Grouse and skip the one in Ketchikan. Take your time a d explore creek street and other areas of the town. It was one of our fav stops.

Next trip: December 2015
May 2014 Disneyland
March 2012 - Disneyland
January 2010 - DisneyWorld
March 2007 - Disneyland
September 2004 - Disneyland
April 2001 - Disneyland
September 1997 - Disneyland
October 1992 - Disneyland
-------
Blogging about life as a stay at home mom, reviewing great family friendly products and talking about my love of Disney.

http://www.momentsinmommyland.com/
Carolynleanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
RedSox68
DIS Veteran

Just be careful in Ketchikan. We took a morning excursion because we were told there was an 8 a.m. and 12 p.m. show. When we got to the stadium, we found out they only had one show at 8 a.m. and that was it for the day! I was very disappointed because I really wanted to see it!

Nov. 2000 -- Disney Wonder -- 4-night Bahama
Nov. 2002 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
Aug. 2004 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
Aug. 2005 -- Disney Magic -- 14-night Panama Canal
Aug. 2006 -- Disney Wonder -- 10 night Southern Caribbean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic -- 10-night Mediterranean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic -- 14-night Transatlantic
Aug. 2008 -- NCL Pride of America -- 7-night Hawaiian & Vow Renewal
Oct. 2009 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
July 2010 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days covering the West
May 2011 -- Disney Dream -- 4-night Bahama
June 2011 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days finishing the West and South!
May 2012 -- HAL Zaandam -- 7-night Alaska cruise/12 night cruisetour (thus completing our 50th state!)
August 2013 -- Carnival Glory -- 4-night NYC to St John, NB
Sept 2013 -- HAL Eurodam -- 10-night Colors of Canada/NE Cruise from Quebec to NYC
Dec. 2014 -- Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern with San Juan port (our platinum cruise & 4th Disney ship!)
August 2015 -- Royal Princess -- 12-night British Isles Cruise R/T from Southampton
RedSox68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #6
pjacobi
DIS Veteran

Fog may cancel shows on Grouse Mountain

Grouse Mountain and the Capilono suspension bridge are easy to do in a full day on your own in Vancouver. They are both easily accessible via public transportation.

Ketchikan has probably the most well-known Lumberjack show.

When we were on Grouse Mountain, all shows were cancelled due to thick fog. Luckily, the fog cleared for a view of our hotel before we decended.

If possible, I'd see both shows. If one is cancelled due to weather, then you have another chance.

-Paul
pjacobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #7
lucky1
Face Character

We were not happy with the version in Ketichan. It was just way to corny. Now I will tell you looking at Trip advisor, it had a lot of good reviews, but honestly it was just way to corny and too many bad jokes and not enough action from the lumberjacks.
lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #8
tink,too
DIS Veteran

I've been wondering about this too as our DD really wants to see the Lumberjacks.

Thanks for the tip about fog cancelling the Vancouver shows, pjacobi!

It seems that the Ketchikan shows run in all weathers as the seating is covered and heated, so we'll probably book that one. If we have time (and it's running) we'll catch the one in Vancouver too when we go to Grouse Mountain and count that as a bonus.
tink,too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink,too View Post
I've been wondering about this too as our DD really wants to see the Lumberjacks.

It seems that the Ketchikan shows run in all weathers as the seating is covered and heated, so we'll probably book that one. If we have time (and it's running) we'll catch the one in Vancouver too when we go to Grouse Mountain and count that as a bonus.
I'm going to put this out there, but it may not be true next year. Previously, the Lumberjack show in Ketchikan that was booked through DCL had some of the characters particpating in the show.

But, I agree, that the show there is a bit corny and slow. But ok, if you really want to see one.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #10
lucky1
Face Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
I'm going to put this out there, but it may not be true next year. Previously, the Lumberjack show in Ketchikan that was booked through DCL had some of the characters particpating in the show.

But, I agree, that the show there is a bit corny and slow. But ok, if you really want to see one.

We did the DCL in 2012 and there were no characters.. and it states that in the booking and tickets.. It is a Disney enhanced version, but not a Disney Character version.
lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

We all enjoyed the show at Grouse Mountain...and the entire mountain was beautiful!!!! I talked to a few people onboard who asked about the show and said the same stuff happened at the one they paid for in Ketchikan.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #12
pjacobi
DIS Veteran

Fog as thick as Canadian pea soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink,too View Post
The Grouse Mountain fog that I experienced in 2007 was that thickest fog that I had ever seen with visibility of less than 10 feet! It was even too scary to walk around. Any show outside would have been totally impossible.

We found that the mountaintop cafe was reasonably priced and had an early lunch. In about an hour, the clouds blew away and were rewarded with a view all the way down to the port.

Public transport system was excellect!

-Paul
pjacobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #13
Weedy
DIS Veteran

We saw both shows. The one at Grouse was a little better. Not enough to see one over the other. Lots of the same jokes at both. Very corny like the old Carol Burnett show. The one at Ketchikan the lumberjacks signed autographs after the show. My daughter was given a on pieces of the wood that they chopped up.

Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:56 AM   #14
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Thanks so much for all the great answers everyone

So here is what I am thinking now - tell me if this is way off the mark

Book the show in Ketchican through DCL
Visit Grouse Mountain as planned and if the show goes ahead (e.g. no fog!) go ahead and watch it, then call Disney and cancel the one in Ketchikan

My moral dilema with this is that it would be unfair for me to effectively hold my place in Ketchikan "just in case" and potentially prevent another family from attending - I'd love to know what you guys think as I want to play fair

Also, is it possible to the Misty Fjords by floatplane excusrion AND the lumberjack show on the same day?

I'm stuggling to find the excursion start and end times on the DCL site

Phew - that's it

Thanks so much for your help
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #15
ll_california
Mouseketeer

We also saw both shows and enjoy both.

FYI: You can book the Ketchikan show while you're onboard (but before the boat gets to Ketchikan). Alternatively, you can also walk to the show's box office and buy tickets there.

05/92*DL 12/99*DL 11/00*DL 08/01*DL 06/02*DL 12/03*WDW/3-Night Wonder Bahamas 12/04*WDW/4-Night Wonder Bahamas 05/05*DL 12/09*DL 06/10*WDW 11/10*DL Tokyo 02/11*7-Night Wonder Mexican Riviera 5/11*DL 12/12*7-Night Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
ll_california is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: