Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
Elwood P. Dowd
Disboards Padawan

Repost: Talk Me OUT of a Resort

(I originally posted this in the Adult and Solo Travelers forum, but I think I probably should've posted it here...)

So I'm going to do a solo trip in a couple weeks, and I'm having a VERY hard time choosing a resort (and I'm an indecisive person anyway). So I thought maybe you guys could help. I've narrowed in down to 3: CBR, POR, and Pop. I've stayed at POR quite a few times, and it's one of my favorites (and that includes Deluxe resorts). The other two are unexplored territory...

So, instead of the usual "help me decide which resort," and having posts listing reasons to choose a specific resort, I was hoping people would list things you DON'T like about one of the three listed (not necessarily using price as a reason). Please keep in mind it's just me going, so things like activities for kids don't apply. Thanks in advance-- I can't wait to make a final decision!
Elwood P. Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood P. Dowd View Post
(I originally posted this in the Adult and Solo Travelers forum, but I think I probably should've posted it here...)

So I'm going to do a solo trip in a couple weeks, and I'm having a VERY hard time choosing a resort (and I'm an indecisive person anyway). So I thought maybe you guys could help. I've narrowed in down to 3: CBR, POR, and Pop. I've stayed at POR quite a few times, and it's one of my favorites (and that includes Deluxe resorts). The other two are unexplored territory...

So, instead of the usual "help me decide which resort," and having posts listing reasons to choose a specific resort, I was hoping people would list things you DON'T like about one of the three listed (not necessarily using price as a reason). Please keep in mind it's just me going, so things like activities for kids don't apply. Thanks in advance-- I can't wait to make a final decision!
Didn't really like anything about CBR.

Too spread out, didn't like the food court, didn't like the internal bus system, had some housekeeping issues that were never resolved despite multiple requests.
Yup, we just didn't really like it...we still had a great trip though!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
gtpoohbear
DIS Veteran

If you are planning to use the buses, I would rule out CBR. It's so spread out and the bus makes so many stops within the resort that it takes forever to get anywhere. Otherwise, it's a lovely resort

All Trip Reports & Photo Albums are located here!
Previous Trips: 2008: Poly, Hilton GVC | 2010: CBR | 2012: ASMo | 2013: YC | 2014: AKL, AoA
Upcoming Trips: Oct 2014: POR | Dec 2014 - WL | July 2015 - ASMusic | Nov 2015 - FW Campground
gtpoohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

Woukd you consider CSR? To me it is the most adult of the moderate/value resorts? But of the 3, I like POP the least. Very large, spread out, and (IMO) mobbed with people. Just wasn't impressed (I prefer the all star music for the adult traveler).

Love cbr but don't know I it is right for you. It's large and spread out. Food court was just average but the pool is fantastic. The grounds are beautiful and tranquil. Super relaxing for a walk but there are tons of kids.

You already know about POR. I would choose CSR (I know, not one of your choices).
Old 11-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

We've stayed at many WDW resorts over the years but only one of the value resorts: All Stars Sports. It didn't suit us at all, so we never stayed at another value. That would be the one I'd eliminate. However, there's a lotta love for Pop on these boards.

Even though you didn't ask, I'm with twinboysmom on a CSR suggestion.
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
KBW
Mouseketeer

We haven't stayed at at POR or CBR, but didn't like Pop for a few reasons...found the beds to be very uncomfortable. Also, the walls were soooo thin. Literally, I could hear a kid in the next room splashing around in the tub, and the parents conversation We also found the bus service there to be lacking, especially going to the parks.

I second the recommendation of the PP that suggested CSR. It is also spread out like CBR but we really liked the pool, food court, and amenities. Bus service there was fantastic. We are staying there again in June, unless we get a good deal on a deluxe.
KBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #7
kris4360
DIS Veteran

I've only stayed at POR and i love it! I've been trying to think of one negative thing to say about it and i just can't!
kris4360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #8
Tink415
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Well, I agree with you about POR! I also like CBR and POP and have stayed at both multiple times.

Pop, I wouldn't stay there during warm weather months because there is no ceiling fan, the rooms aren't memorable in any way (to me). I couldn't tell you which sections we've stayed at. No hot tub during colder months. Gotta add - love the food court and store at Pop and visit those even when not staying there

CBR, I don't like that you can see some of the Wyndham Bonnet Creek buildings when looking over to the resort center from Aruba and Jamaica. I'm being really picky here, but I liked it better before you could see those buildings. I also wouldn't want to stay in Barbados or Trinidad South, don't like the walk to the resort center at night after walking all day. I actually liked the old pool better for the deeper water, but the new hot tubs are great.

POR, I don't like the non preferred Alligator Bayou room locations, again because I don't like the walk to the resort center at night after walking all day.

Have a great vacation!
Tink415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #9
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

I don't think there's anything special about CBR and is the only resort we stayed in that we would not stay in again. The decor was eh, nothing you wouldn't see in any other Florida motel. The resort was too spread out which got old very quickly. The food had separate ordering areas which were cramped. They have a TS restaurant but after 10+ Disney trips including a stay at CBR and 8 years of reading/posting on Disney message boards, I barely remember it being mentioned.

HTH! ;-) Enjoy your visit!
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:34 PM   #10
Elwood P. Dowd
Disboards Padawan

Thank you so much for all the responses! I've definitely ruled out CBR-- it just doesn't appeal much to me, at least going solo.

I have stayed at CSR twice, and liked it quite a bit! The rooms, to me, are great, as are the grounds. Not a fan of the food court at all, but I don't eat at the resorts much anyway. I ruled it out because I prefer both Port Orleans resorts (and FQ is WAY more expensive for the dates I want to go, so that was ruled out).

What makes me nervous about Pop is that it's so large, and seems noisy. Not saying I need peace and quiet, but sometimes I look at pictures and can see being overwhelmed by everything. I've stayed at one value-- All Star Music, in the Broadway section. I actually REALLY liked it, but it was also really laid back there. The problem is there's no guarantee they would honor my request of that section, top floor.

But for 3 nights, the POR is almost $200 more than Pop/All Stars. Is it worth it?!?

(See? I told you I was indecisive!)
Elwood P. Dowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:44 PM   #11
LisaBi
DIS Veteran

My two cents.....I usually do ASMo when I go with DS, and have done Pop once with him. Much preferred ASMo to Pop. I did one solo trip and stayed at CSR. I loved the room, but was almost irritated at myself for spending the extra dollars since I was never there to enjoy it. It would actually be more worth it when I was with DS. We actually spend more time in the room and at resort than when I went I went solo. If I go solo again, I probably would go with a value. I also prefer the value food courts to the one at CSR.
LisaBi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #12
Tink415
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you so much for all the responses! I've definitely ruled out CBR-- it just doesn't appeal much to me, at least going solo.

I have stayed at CSR twice, and liked it quite a bit! The rooms, to me, are great, as are the grounds. Not a fan of the food court at all, but I don't eat at the resorts much anyway. I ruled it out because I prefer both Port Orleans resorts (and FQ is WAY more expensive for the dates I want to go, so that was ruled out).

What makes me nervous about Pop is that it's so large, and seems noisy. Not saying I need peace and quiet, but sometimes I look at pictures and can see being overwhelmed by everything. I've stayed at one value-- All Star Music, in the Broadway section. I actually REALLY liked it, but it was also really laid back there. The problem is there's no guarantee they would honor my request of that section, top floor.

But for 3 nights, the POR is almost $200 more than Pop/All Stars. Is it worth it?!?

(See? I told you I was indecisive!)
I noticed the only rooms available at POFQ were WAY more expensive also when I made my ressie for Dec. too. Sure was easier to decide when there weren't so many categories and prices to choose from

Anyway, I know Pop is larger than any of the All Stars, but I haven't really noticed that much of a difference in the general hustle and bustle myself. Rooms at Pop should be as quiet as any other value, the setup is basically the same. Airline check in, RAC I think, is the only thing I've personally noticed being really crazy mobbed at Pop, and that was only one time. Like buses or food courts, it can happen at any resort.

Worth it is something only you can define. $200 can but lots of other things. Why not try Pop? If you hate it, its only 3 nights, and you could switch resorts if it was truly unacceptable. But of course it could cost time and money depending on what's available at the time.
Tink415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #13
kelleigh1
Disney Baby
I sleep with Pooh & Mickey
Kicked off the school bus

I've skimmed some of the other posts and from what I've seen, I agree with many comments on CBR. We stayed there in 2007 and just didn't find anything special about it. We don't use the buses, so that had no effect on is, but we just didn't really enjoy it. Every other place I've ever stayed at Disney, you felt some magic and CM's were great. But at CBR, it just felt very impersonal.

I have friends who stayed their just a few weeks ago and she had issues with housekeeping too. So I don't think any of us will stay their again. (And for what it's worth, we are 2 adults with no children and so is the other couple I mentioned, all over the age of 40.)

Childless doesn't mean that we're not a family. MLA RLA

kelleigh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:48 AM   #14
Lorelei528
DIS Veteran

We found POR rundown and dirty..just yucky. I didn't like it at all.
POP - WAY too garish. I've stayed at ASMovies and Music and much preferred them to POP.

Ironically, LOVED CBR! LOL...would totally stay there again!

May 2014 (BLT), Dec 2013 (BLT/AKL), Sept/Oct '12 (AKV/DCL), Jan '11 (AKL),Sept/Oct '10 (AKL/BLT/DCL/BWV), Sept '09 (BLT), April/May '09 (BW/AKL), Sept/Oct 08 (POP/AKL), Nov 03 (ASMovies/AKL), Nov 01 (CBR), Nov 97 (Disney Village Resort), '87 (off property), '77 (CR)
Lorelei528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #15
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

CBR is massive. Absolutely massive. I would never stay there again unless I had a preferred room and a rental car. We were on the DxDDP but barely used our mugs because our room was so far from the food court, we chose the resort for the cool feature pool but the kids spent more time in the quiet pool near our room rather than walk all the way there, and going anywhere by bus felt like it took forever because of all the stops around the resort. I enjoyed the tropical atmosphere and the theme is very well carried out but that just wasn't enough to make up for the downsides.

Personally, for a solo trip I'd choose Pop (and actually, that is where I'm staying on my April solo trip). I know a lot of people think of the values as for kids and they are great for that, but the more compact size, single bus stop, and atmosphere make it ideal for a solo trip too. Photos really don't do it justice I don't think - I went into my first value stay VERY reluctantly, expecting to be overwhelmed by the "loud" in both volume and decor, not to mention disappointed by the amenities after many moderate & deluxe stays, but ended up falling in love with Pop. The slightly larger size than the All-Stars combined with the lake makes it quieter, with more little nooks to relax in, but it still has the advantages of being a relatively smaller resort (compared to POR, CBR, etc) and having a single bus stop and transportation that doesn't share with any other resorts. And solo you don't have to worry about the main downside of a value resort - the size of the rooms and the limited storage space in them.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: