Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
jtheodore
Earning My Ears

Port Orleans French Quarter Christmas Decor?

Has anyone stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter during the holiday season? I am taking the family the week after Thanksgiving. This will be our first time staying here any tips or tricks? Appreciate any feedback.
jtheodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
Missytara
I'm all ears!

You may be able to find some Xmas photos on the POFQ thread.

If you have time, catch Yee-hah Bob in the POR lounge; he starts his Christmas show the Saturday after Thanksgiving and he is a hoot.

I go the same week and there are a few things I do to get around to as many of the resorts as possible. The deluxes are a must-see.

I do the monorail loop and catch CR/Poly/GF. Definitely great coming in on the second floor of the monorail to GF; the smell of the gingerbread house and the enormity of the tree really cannot be described.

I love WL and try to take the boat over from MK and combine it with a snack in the lounge.

I take the boat from Epcot or DHS and do the YC/BC/BW/Swan/Dolphin. I stayed one year at the Dolphin and they have a cafeteria style place called the Buffeteria, where I caught "leftover" Thanksgiving meal that was excellent. Turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, the works.

AKL is not to be missed and should also be combined with a dinner at either Boma or next door at Sanaa in Kidani Village.

Even DTD has some nice decorations and there is a wonderful Xmas shop that will really get you in the mood; the water taxis run every 10 minutes after 4 pm, so you never wait very long. They stop at POFQ on the way to DTD and the way back first before heading to POR. I also spend one evening at EOS and Ghiradelli's. EOS has their seasonal holiday sandwich; turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce (it also comes with gravy and mayo, but I often skip that). Ghiradelli's has some awesome sundaes and ice cream.

Of course, the World of Disney store is great for some Xmas shopping.

Enjoy, it is a wonderful week to go. I am missing it this year, but I am going to Disney twice next year, including that week, so I will have to wait for a bit.
Register to remove

Old 11-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
jtheodore
Earning My Ears

Wow thanks so much for all this great info. Do you stay often at POFQ. Is their an area i should request? Thanks again.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
Missytara
I'm all ears!

I actually stay at POR.

There is really not a bad location at POFQ; you can check out Andre's thread for the map and different types of locations, but it is a fairly compact resort, and nothing is too out of the way.

Andre also has a website; portorleans.org.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
RHMH
When I retire, I want to get a real job and work for Disney

Location: Born In (Setagaya, Tokyo) Now Living In Fort Worth, Texas

You will love POFQ - Its a super resort...

Link to RHMH - July 2014 Disneyland Trip Report Thread -- http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3302724

DD 15 - (Learning How To - ) ME 56 Issac 24
WDW 2002, WDW 2003, Tokyo Disney 2003, WDW 2004, Paris Disney 2004, WDW 2005, WDW 2006, WDW 2007, WDW 2008, WDW 2009,

WDW 2010, WDW 2011, WDW 2012, WDW 2013, DLR 2014
RHMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
jtheodore
Earning My Ears

I can't wait. So pumped.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #7
scdak
DIS Veteran

You will love POFQ, I just spent 10 days there and would love to be back right now. The resort is small so its managable from any location, we scored a great room in building 4 literally 1 minute walk from the food court and main building, but what was even better was it was a corner room so we had 2 windows so we have plenty of room for all our decorations. In case you are thinking about doing any decorating Two 50-70 count light strands will go completely around the window (luckily I had 4 sets), there are 12 panes of glass in the windows and a nice shelf (top of A/C unit) in front of the window to put fun decorations on! Also, the doors are metallic so you can hang things on it, we had pumpkins on ours, some of which we gave away to kids and they are now convinced that being at Disney is magic! It was so cute to hear them talking about the magic
The CM's at the resort are so nice, the pool is fun, the food court was busy but we always found a table, some of the times we were in there it was almost deserted. I hate to say that we never had enough time to sit and hear the performer there but what we did hear when walking around was great.

I hope to return in 2013 or early 2014, right now I am torn between there and WL, so it will probably end up being a split stay!
POR Jan 2012
POFQ Oct/Nov 2012
WL / POFQ Fall 2014 - maybe sooner
SOONER IT IS - March 30-April 5 - offsite with family

October 2015 - just starting to think about it
scdak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:52 AM   #8
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

My family stayed at POFQ on our last Holiday trip. It was lovely. The decorations are Mardi Gras type colors and are very pretty. There is Jazzy holiday music playing softly as you stroll through the grounds, which were meticulously maintained. We enjoyed the atmosphere. This year we are staying at teh BC because my DGD wants to use that pool but if we were not there we would absolutely stay POFQ. It si our favorite Mod.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #9
MagicKingdom4Ever
Mouseketeer

We stayed at POFQ last Christmas. There were lots of festive decorations around the resort, especially the lobby. Some guests decorated their own room windows which was very cute. It is also nice to visit some of the other resorts to see their decorations, too.

Here is a pic of the lobby (sorry it is blurry):

Have a great trip!

MagicKingdom4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: