Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
olive
Mouseketeer

Torn between Poly (again) and BLT 1 bedroom

This is long - sorry about that. I just wanted to outline what we have considered so far!

We have stayed at the Polynesian a bunch of times and love it. We have also stayed at the GF, CR and Dolphin and are big fans of split stays. I think we have stayed at the Poly for part of all but one trip since 2007. One half in the Epcot area and one half in the MK area seems to be the best fit for us for convenience to the parks; that way we can walk or take the monorail to all but AK.

We have a trip coming up in January so it is unclear whether we will be able to swim. We have visited in January before where there were no pool days because of weather, so we aren't counting on swimming this time. Pools don't factor too highly because of this.

We will have 5 or 6 nights at Swan first. For our MK resort, I am really torn between BLT and Poly. We are not turned off by the theme or lack thereof at BLT, and we love the ability to walk to MK especially since our 5 year old is wedded to riding space mountain everyday. He also loves the monorail so being adjacent to the the CR is a perk. The CR rooms are my favorite so far in terms of comfort and style, and BLT seems similar. Extra space and an extra bathroom sound great, as does the washer/dryer since we will have a 5 month old with us - our younger son's first trip! That also makes the separate bedroom pretty appealing to preserve sleep if we need for the 5 year old. I should mention, though, that we spent a night in a regular hotel room with both kids a couple of weeks ago and it was fine, sleeping-wise.

Poly is just so special to us, without really being able to put a finger on why. Love seeing the castle from the beach, and the torches at night. Poly beats BLT on price by about $1000 over the 5 or 6 nights, but that alone isn't the deciding factor. Oh, and we have ADRs at both Ohana and Chef Mickey's, as well as Crystal Palace and CRT.

I guess it comes down to convenience (BLT) versus a more emotional attachment (Poly). What would you do? Any thoughts especially from folks who have traveled with an infant plus a "non infant"? I just really keep going back and forth.

Last edited by olive; 11-12-2012 at 10:10 AM.
olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Love Poly, but haven't stayed at CR because theming doesn't appeal! I can see your advantages for having more room in a 1 bdrm at BLT, ESP with young children, you'd have a space to escape to after their bedtime, so I'd prob pick that, and you can walk to MK.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
cvjw
DIS Veteran

The 1 bedroom at BLT is hard to beat. The villas are very spacious, with a huge master bedroom and bath. The separate living/sleeping area for the kids, plus their own bathroom, makes our vacations seem more like a vacation. Throw in the full sized kitchen and laundry area, plus the quick walk to the MK, and you see why we love staying at BLT.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #4
FantasiaMagic
DIS Veteran

I think your choices are both great. They are both MK resorts as you know so you would have the monorail access to each.

I think you should stay at BLT. You can always visit the POLy - maybe have dinner stay on the beach for fireworks ect...

The BLT rooms sound great with the extra bathroom and other 1br amenities.

Just say if you miss POLY greatly - there is always next time!

Have a great trip and Good Luck deciding!

-FantasiaMagic

AKV Kidani August 2012 TR: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2975354

FantasiaMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
tinkermommyof3
DIS Veteran

Love, love, love Poly. Very attached as well. But, BLT 1-Bedroom Villa w/2 bathrooms, washer/dryer, etc. would have my vote. Still close enough to Poly to stop by for meals and walk around resort.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
olive
Mouseketeer

Wow! I wasn't expecting a unanimous vote for the BLT! We do have our Ohana dinner reservation for one night and it is on the early side, so we could definitely watch Wishes from the beach. Thanks so much for the feedback!
Old 11-13-2012, 01:44 AM   #7
MulanMom
DIS Veteran

I know I'm a little late to the party, but wanted to add my vote for the 1 bdr at BLT. We stayed there our last trip. Split between AKV Kidani, which feels a lot like the Poly in terms of room decor, and BLT. When we left AKV, I thought I would *hate* the BLT theming. But, for whatever reason, I would say it was my favorite of the two. We got a 1 bdr overlooking the Contemporary marina, and it was just wonderful. The 2 baths were a great help with a teenaged daughter! And we enjoyed the ability to walk back and forth to the MK. If your little one falls asleep in the stroller, you will enjoy being able to keep him in the stroller until you get to your room. For my two teens, having the sleep chair and the sleep sofa kept them both happy!

I think you'll do well with either hotel you choose!
MulanMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:05 AM   #8
cel_disney
DIS Veteran

another vote for BLT!! if you said a BLT studio, i would tell you that you were crazy - but you will LOVE the 1 bedroom for your family!! we stayed in one with our 4 month old and 4 yr old and again this year with our now 2 and 6 year olds. location, size, styling, amenities, and resort activities (to include watching the monorail from our window) were awesome!

And the walk to/from MK is THE BEST. Nothing beats not having to wait for transportation back at night or nap time!!!

We rented a double stroller so both kids had a place to sit for that 10 minute walk....

The washer and dryer is priceless with the baby too! it really cuts down on packing!! And going home with clean clothes at the end of the trip was great too!!

At night - you can put the pack n play in the master bathroom and have everyone use the 2nd bathroom if you need to give the baby a quiet place to sleep....our son loved the pull out sleeper chair and we got to enjoy the master bedroom all by ourselves!

The only thing I would point out is that if you want BLT, you probably should book soon!!!
cel_disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #9
olive
Mouseketeer

These are so helpful - thanks so much! We do have the 1 bed at BLT booked. I booked it ages ago because I know they can be popular. We were lucky to get a AAA discount, too! I am going to try to enjoy trying something new and visiting our old favorite. I feel much better about my choice with all these ringing endorsements, especially from some Poly lovers!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: