Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 05:59 PM   #46
TChrist05
DIS Veteran

Thank you all for your kind comments and great insight. First I must say that I think it is great that other people get upgrades, it is great for them and truly I am not jealous of them for getting them. My point is that DCL has a corporate policy of not upgrading guests who are frequent cruisers. I myself, and this is just my two cents is that by upgrading people who have cruised say 15 or 20 times it would be a great "thank you" for being a dedicated DCL cruiser. It would cost them nothing and would make a lot of people happy. I also think of the other angle that they feel that if they gave some cruisers the upgrade it would end up on our Disboards and they would have to entertain all the Platinum plus cruisers who chose to call and ask why they did not get the upgrade so and so got. I guess they cannot win whatever they do. We are real happy to be on the ship and my DW and I are the only people in the stateroom. From what everyone is saying it is a very large stateroom so we will be happy with the extra space. I for one will pay a lot more attention when making my reservations. We always rebook on the ship and enjoy the onboard credit and 10%--although I could get a much better deal if I would have booked it last week. I know that I will not get any kind of upgrade on this cruise since I made some noise. Disney does not reward people for speaking out and making waves. You get nothing from them when you demand something--which I never did. Just wanted to let them know that people would like to be recognized as loyal DCL sailors--and the supervisor made sure to make me aware many people have complained about this and he claims it will be addressed. Guess we will see.
TChrist05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #47
clten
DIS Veteran

As others have quoted, the statement when booking a 9AGTY on your sailing is this (bolding is mine):

Sorry, there are no Category 09A staterooms available for selection at this time. You may either change the stateroom category or accept a guarantee (GTY) stateroom. Selecting "Choose Guaranty" guarantees the ship, sailing date and rate. A Category 09A stateroom will be assigned by the time documents are received. Selecting "Choose Guaranty" does not guarantee the stateroom will be on a particular deck or, for multiple staterooms, that the staterooms will be located near each other.

I would hang my hat on the statement I put in bold print. You should be getting a Category 9A stateroom, not any category 9. (For others that asked if a 9GTY was booked rather than a 9AGTY, with DCL, you have to book a specific category as they move each category/subcategory to GTY status as they fill -- a 9A may be in GTY while 9B you can still select a specific cabin. There is no such thing as a 9GTY.)

If you are willing to settle for the cabin you were assigned, that's great but I would still have them give me an OBC or refund for the price difference between a 9D and a 9A. There's usually $30-$50 between each subcategory for two people so it would be $90-$150.

I feel your pain, we are going on our 30th DCL cruise the week before you. While we booked a VGT (was finally in a position to take advantage of a DCL sale!) and I knew going in that I could be given any verandah room, I'm a little disappointed hearing what others on our cruise were assigned and what we were assigned. I would think that our status should have helped a little. Obviously it didn't.
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #48
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

If you booked a 9A GTY, you are entitled to at least a 9A stateroom; if not, then something in a higher category, not lower. You need to call back and speak with a supervisor about this.

I will add, the only time we were upgraded was on our first cruise. I attribute that to the fact we had three sailing and they probably needed to move us around to fit a family of four somewhere. Beyond that first cruise, I have always sailed with just two of us in the party...never have been upgraded gratis.

iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:55 PM   #49
carpenta
DIS Veteran

I just remember the Seven Deadly Sins.....if someone gets an up-grade than good for them. I only expect what I pay for in life. You should speak to a supervisor and hopefully that will help. I have been in one of those corner rooms and they are bigger than most.
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #50
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by TChrist05 View Post
Thank you all for your kind comments and great insight. First I must say that I think it is great that other people get upgrades, it is great for them and truly I am not jealous of them for getting them. My point is that DCL has a corporate policy of not upgrading guests who are frequent cruisers. I myself, and this is just my two cents is that by upgrading people who have cruised say 15 or 20 times it would be a great "thank you" for being a dedicated DCL cruiser. It would cost them nothing and would make a lot of people happy. I also think of the other angle that they feel that if they gave some cruisers the upgrade it would end up on our Disboards and they would have to entertain all the Platinum plus cruisers who chose to call and ask why they did not get the upgrade so and so got. I guess they cannot win whatever they do. We are real happy to be on the ship and my DW and I are the only people in the stateroom. From what everyone is saying it is a very large stateroom so we will be happy with the extra space. I for one will pay a lot more attention when making my reservations. We always rebook on the ship and enjoy the onboard credit and 10%--although I could get a much better deal if I would have booked it last week. I know that I will not get any kind of upgrade on this cruise since I made some noise. Disney does not reward people for speaking out and making waves. You get nothing from them when you demand something--which I never did. Just wanted to let them know that people would like to be recognized as loyal DCL sailors--and the supervisor made sure to make me aware many people have complained about this and he claims it will be addressed. Guess we will see.
I posted the pics of our cabin in your other thread to show how big those cabins are.

We have done 28 DCL cruises and were upgraded once, I think. I don't hold out hope for any upgrades but it would be nice once in awhile to show some appreciation for being a loyal DCL guest.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:18 PM   #51
jnweinmann
Earning My Ears

I would think that DCL should include an upgrade to Castaway Members who have sailed many times. Maybe it is time to create a new level of membership.
The current system rewards those with 11 or more cruises with special perks. I think it is time to reward those who have cruised 20 times or more with some new perks. Call it what you will, but it is time that DCL does something more for these cruisers.
jnweinmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:36 PM   #52
MKRuns 26
Mouseketeer

Quote:
My point is that DCL has a corporate policy of not upgrading guests who are frequent cruisers.
Is it DCL policy not to upgrade Castaway members? I've never seen it in the booklets or on their site. Do you have a link?
Disney Magic- X 4

WDW- More times then I can count
DL- Soon
MKRuns 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:54 PM   #53
Im_A_Princess
PLATINUM - Woo Hoo!

Location: Maryland ~893.52 miles from my FL home in Port Canaveral

16 cruises done and never an upgrade. Sometimes 2 rooms at a time for us and the kids.
I will no longer be booking rooms in advance of *GTY anymore either. They are always less than what I have paid with an advanced booking. I would rather save the money by booking closer to sailing date and take my chances.

-Chrissy 116 days onboard DCL and counting...)
Im_A_Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #54
MISSREBECCA76
"Hello, My Name is Rebecca, and I have a Disney Problem!"

I am not saying I agree with it, but from a business standpoint, I can understand why they do not upgrade frequent cruisers. They already have you hooked and you are happily spending with no hesitation. Now those first time cruisers need to be wowed so they can be hooked. They sprinkle some extra pixie dust upon them and BAM!!! now they have you and the first timers addicted to the mouse!

1999 SOG First ever WDW Trip (with my HOT college bf, who is now my HOT husband!)2001 SOG Honeymoon trip 2009 CRB First trip with the kiddos in tow, grandparents too! 2011 OKW Santa was good to us, so kids, grandparents and even a great grandparent made the trip! 2012 Fort Wilderness Cabins 2012 Disney Dream- our first of many DCL experiences!2012 Beach Club
MISSREBECCA76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:04 AM   #55
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

our upgrade came on our last cruise which was cruise number four. my point is that its not the new cruisers that always get the upgrades. i'm sure there are plenty that are new to dcl but certainly not all.
tinkerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:49 AM   #56
Juney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnweinmann
but it is time that DCL does something more for these cruisers.
I just don't understand this at all.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
December '09 Disney Western Caribbean 7 Day, Magic
December '10 Walt Disney World, Polynesian
December '11 Disney Mexican Riviera, Wonder
December '12 Disney Eastern Caribbean 7 day, Fantasy

December '13 Disney Western Caribbean 7 day, Fantasy
Juney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:14 AM   #57
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Interesting. Our 1st cruise back in 2005 (honeymoon), booked Cat 12 & was upgraded to a Cat 11. Our 2nd cruise we got the room we specifically chose (secret verandah). Our 3rd cruise we booked Cat 11C GTY & we're "upgraded" to a Cat 9C ocean view in Deck 2 of the Magic which we did not like at all. Ever since then, we choose our stateroom & put a "do not upgrade/change room" request on our reservation, which was the last 3 cruises & our next 3 scheduled as well. Point is, we were upgraded on our 1st & 3rd cruises.

I'm curious to know how DCL assigns their rooms. I'm doubtful it's done electronically by a computer, but that seems tedious to pay someone to do.........

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:47 AM   #58
DMMarla07860
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My point is that DCL has a corporate policy of not upgrading guests who are frequent cruisers.
I have to say I disagree with this and the only reason I disagree with this is because my dad and I have cruised 17 times and we have been upgraded 3 times. So it's really just luck of it all.
July 14th-18th, 2002- 3 Night Resort and 4 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, April 23rd-30th, 2005- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, August 19th-26th, 2006- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Double Dip Cruise, September 6th-9th, 2007- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, July 13th- 20th, 2008- Mexican Riviera Disney Magic Cruise, February 21st-28th, 2009- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, February 28th-March 7th, 2009- 7 Night Disney Magic Eastern Cruise, August 27th-30th, 2009- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, December 10th-13th, 2009- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, March 6th-13th, 2010- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, February 17th-20th, 2011- 3 Night Disney Dream Cruise, February 20th-24th, 2011- 4 Night Disney Dream Cruise, April 27th-May 3rd, 2011- 6 Night LA to Vancouver Disney Wonder Cruise
February 16th-19th, 2012- 3 Night Disney Dream Cruise, April 21st-28th, 2012- 7 Night Disney Fantasy Eastern Cruise(first one),
June 15th-17th, 2012- 2 Night Disney Magic Cruise(NYC), August 17th- 25th, 2012- 8 Night Disney Magic Cruise(NYC)March 16th-23rd, 2013-7 Night Disney Fantasy Western March 23rd-30th, 2013-Disney Fantasy EasternUpcoming Cruises: November 20th-24th, 2013- Disney Magic
DMMarla07860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #59
tajz90
Mama D

Do you have to book a GTY do get upgraded?

Out of 7 cruises, we've been upgraded once, but we've only booked GTY once. We were unhappy with the upgrade from deluxe inside to outside. Deck 2 is not our favorite.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:14 AM   #60
poohfriend
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane648 View Post
If your confirmation shows you booked a 9A GTY, I'd argue the point that a 9D assignment is not acceptable. The language on the website indicates that you'll receive a 9A room if you select a 9A GTY - it does not say that you could receive a lesser category room. I realize many time people in GTY status receive upgrades, but this is the first I've ever heard of someone receiving an assignment that is a lesser category than they booked (which I believe is an error).

Good luck - hope it all works out!
I haven't read the whole thread...but this is the way it reads on the website and every other small print. So seriously it's just a category 9? Then why do 9As cost more.

total bait and switch no matter what the small print says.
Boardwalk Inn 9/07-- welcomed our Soldier Home!;
CSR 1/2008 ; POR 3/2008 & Wonder Cruise 3/2008...What a beautiful Day at CC
Circle of Life 5K..Jan 2009 WL; Magic Cruise December 2009;
Star Wars Weekend 05/10 at POP'
ASMu & Dream Cruise 1/2011
Dream Cruise March 2012 & Yacht Club Concierge plus Fantasy Preview March 2012
AoA -- September 2012; Contemporary November 2012
AoA -- August 2013
Eastern Caribbean Disney Fantasy May 2014
poohfriend is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: